Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:38 pm 

I am planning to store one of my bikes at a self storage in either Riverside (preferred) or the San Bernardino areas to facilitate my fly-in riding trips in either the Southern Mojave or the High Desert areas. I always seem to drive through Riverside no matter where I head out for riding. I like both of these towns for some reasons but don't know them very well... but I do know they both (like most all towns) have some less desirable areas here and there and I would like to avoid those areas when selecting my storage facility.

Any advice on which areas in these 2 towns would put me at less risk to theft or problems?

We actually fly into LAX and usually stay in Anaheim. I've been in areas of Riverside that didn't seem too bad.. just visually, driving through. I have no ties otherwise.. I only mentioned Riverside / San Bernardino because I pass through there lots of times and they also have Chapparel, Malcolm Smith, Kartek, and many other off-road supply houses.

I want to keep 1 bike there for now.. maybe a Rzr later on. Just looking to limit my chances of a future let-down.

I am also gonna disconnect some electrical connectors, drain gas, padlock the rear rotor, and maybe loosen the front axel bolts and ask the driver to slip it out and FedEx it back to me in PA. ...Only to discourage the most amateur of thief.

Special thanks for any advice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:14 pm 

your best bet will be getting a storage unit, enclosed so no one sees what you have. do you have a trailer too or just the machines?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:51 pm 

I see your in Norco... very cool and interesting, by this afternoon I had chosen Norco. In talking to folks, I discovered that they have so many self storage places in Norco area that their was apparently a moratorium on building any more for a while. Looks like this has helped keep things competitive there in a lot of ways.. price, added security, flexible access hours. I feel I got my best shot at it with your town. This lady said I can even plug a battery tender in as long as it doesn't draw too many amps.

No trailer right now. We always just rent a pickup truck at the airport and carry bike(s) with that. If I ever take a buggy out there I will be leaving a trailer as well, so that may change things.

I'm waiting on my non-resident OHV sticker now. Does this one sticker cover riding in most of the popular areas?

Thanks for the response.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:14 pm 

Why don't you just buy insurance? It's cheap and you won't have to be so parnoid that someone's going to steal your bike.
I fly into my vacation home monthly and have numerous toys there. Insured them all. Very cheap peace of mind.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:50 am 

Norco is I would say pretty safe however like all places it has it low lifes, as Dunit said, it would be a good idea to also get insurance.
As for the non resident stickers, I don't really know, I think that these are mostly for vehicles which don't have their own state off road registration, stickers or plates, I believe that if you have current plates on your machines from your own state that they are valid, same as the plates on your car. Please follow Gibbs rule number 3.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:39 pm 

Yeh I'm not paranoid.. I'm realistic. I have everything insured for theft and also a blanket.. insurance agent sends me a birthday card every year. Have you ever dealt with an insurance company regarding a theft claim? The norm is for you to first get screwed by the thief and then your second screwing comes from the insurance company. Insurance is always your last resort.

Right on. I'm all good. Just happy I have a convenient location that doesn't waste too much riding time fooling with the storage. Gibbs, haha.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:43 pm 

John l wrote:
Yeh I'm not paranoid.. I'm realistic. I have everything insured for theft and also a blanket.. insurance agent sends me a birthday card every year. Have you ever dealt with an insurance company regarding a theft claim? The norm is for you to first get screwed by the thief and then your second screwing comes from the insurance company. Insurance is always your last resort.

Right on. I'm all good. Just happy I have a convenient location that doesn't waste too much riding time fooling with the storage. Gibbs, haha.

You insure them for a specific dollar amount, show police report, get paid.

I don't sweat replaceable things. I leave all the keys in mine!

Good day. (-:

Profile E-mail