Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:20 pm 

OK so I've started my quest to try and get Pilots and Odysseys registered in WI for trail riding. I contacted the local DNR and they told me nothing......just that it was not on the approved list. Then I called the Madison DNR (608-266-2621) and spoke to a person there that explained that they were not approved because they do not have a factory installed cargo rack nor a cargo box. We went back and forth about different things and he told me that it is all up to local legislation on what models are approved and disapproved with the DNR just following the laws that are mandated. He also told me that it had been last discussed back in 2012 for the approval of new models to the list, but the P's and O's didn't make it. Then he went on to tell me that the P's and O's look to much like a dune buggy and it would be hard to differentiate them from other illegal dune buggies/go carts on the trail like the Farm & Fleet specials or the Chinese crap form a distance......sounds like BS to me.

I did some other research and found out in 2000 was when they first started the pilot program for UTV's in four remote Northern Counties to test for trail consideration. The pilot program went well and now that is why they are approved on select trails within the state. Upon digging and scouring the internet I also found that there is a big clash in legislation between ATVers and snowmobilers for trail rights and usage. Snowmobilers state that the ATVers tear up the trail system in the summer and the ATVers state who's right is it for the snowmobilers to take claim that it is their trails just for snowmobiles.

What I did get out of this so far is an e-mail address to the DNR contact committee that meets with legislation on the approval process for ATV's and UTV's.........DNRLEATVUTVAudit@wisconsin.gov. I'm going to be putting together an e-mail with a nice letter explaining why they should be approved along with pdf's of the original manuals and side by side pictures with other ATV's and UTV's. Have several pictures with racer, utility and youth ATV's.......and some with an Polaris ACE and Razor. The pictures are to show that they are not that different and to show a size comparison to other machines that are already on the trails.

So with all that being said, lets get our e-mails sent out to show that there are a lot of us out here that want to get these approved for trail use and spend some time and money in WI vacationing with our P's and O's riding the trails........let alone helping out by purchasing a trail sticker every two years. Out of staters send in your e-mails as well as WI dose offer out-of-state temp stickers to ride the trails as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:32 pm 

Michigan has many dual use trails you might suggest this to them and also have them contact the MI DNR if they have any fears about dual use trails.

Most snowmobile-rs I have run into are a bunch of crybabies they bitch about the ruts ATV's make on the trails then run spikes in their tracks 1" long or run metal cleats that does way more damage than rubber ATV tires.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:00 pm 

WI has lots of dual use trails also, but there are way more snowmobile trails than ATV trails in the state and you can't ride them in the summer. There are even less UTV trails due to the width.......if your machine is over 50" wide your not allowed on the ATV trails. The one big plus is once you get a WI ATV/UTV sticker, in some approved counties you can actually ride the roads so no trailering to the trails.......you have to stay off the main county hwy with speeds 45 and up though. I have places to ride my Pilot but it is so limited compared to where I can ride my Rincon.........man I miss living outside of Las Vegas in BC where you can ride anywhere as long as you stayed out of the National Park and 1/4 mile from houses. We ride lots of trails that are not state trails so no need for a sticker but also need to ride the roads to get from one to another and if the cops or a stupid wanna be cop "Trail Warden" see's you without a sticker your gonna get a ticket. Most of all the "Trail Warden's" are all big sledheads and will nit-pic your machine to find something to harass you about or give you an attitude about that they are there to keep the ATVer's inline so the trails don't get all torn up for snowmobile season.

It's just BS that the P's and O's can't be stickered because they don't have a factory rack or cargo box. All the people I've talked with about trying to get the Pilot registered state "well you know that the P's and O's were made for private land usage". To where I come back "yeah and so were 3-wheelers and 4-wheelers because there was not any state trails back then for them when originally manufactured, also UTV's were originally built for utility use on a farm or what not, not to run trails but they are now allowed on certain trails and are just not utility machines anymore.

The whole thing is sad as every time I take the Pilot upnorth there is always a crowd of people asking about it......man what is that, is that really a Honda or I remember those. Then you tell them it's not allowed on the state trails and everyone is like why not. With the new crazy fast and tricked out UTV's with monster horsepower running the trails it is such a shame that the P's and O's are not allowed. Well I'll just keep trying and thinking of trying to get the help of some local ATV clubs in my area as they might have an inside edge on whom to contact to keep my fight moving forward.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:57 pm 

****UPDATE****

I might be getting somewhere with this and will keep you guys posted.......don't wanna jinks it or let the cat out of the bag just yet. Keep your fingers crossed and maybe soon we will be getting stickered to hit the WI trails. Working on FL400 and FL350 only at this time as I don't wanna push the envelope for the older Odyssey's.......get the foot in the door first and then go from there. One thing I can say is that the registration process might be pending that your machine passes inspection and it is not highly modified. Seems that there have been some big problems as of late with the highly modified UTV's on the trails. Some of the things that they will be looking for at time of registration is NO modified LOUD exhaust, spark arrestor present, seat belt/harness, working lights, brake light and some other things. If this gets done we will all have to get together for a formal meet and greet trail ride. Should know more by tomorrow or early next week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:18 pm 

SPEEDMANIAC wrote:
****UPDATE****

I might be getting somewhere with this and will keep you guys posted.......don't wanna jinks it or let the cat out of the bag just yet. Keep your fingers crossed and maybe soon we will be getting stickered to hit the WI trails. Working on FL400 and FL350 only at this time as I don't wanna push the envelope for the older Odyssey's.......get the foot in the door first and then go from there. One thing I can say is that the registration process might be pending that your machine passes inspection and it is not highly modified. Seems that there have been some big problems as of late with the highly modified UTV's on the trails. Some of the things that they will be looking for at time of registration is NO modified LOUD exhaust, spark arrestor present, seat belt/harness, working lights, brake light and some other things. If this gets done we will all have to get together for a formal meet and greet trail ride. Should know more by tomorrow or early next week.

All my Pilots are modified, I do have spark arrestors doubt they would pass any sound test, lights harness etc.

Hope you get this all sorted out I have wanted to check out the whole states trail systems for years heck I would even be happy if they let me check them out using the RZR-S.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:07 am 

hoser wrote:
SPEEDMANIAC wrote:

Hope you get this all sorted out I have wanted to check out the whole states trail systems for years heck I would even be happy if they let me check them out using the RZR-S.

You can run your Razor on the trails now, but only on the UTV trails and they are mostly in the northern part of the state. You would need to get a Nonresident Annual ATV or UTV Trail Pass. You can get a annual pass for $35 per year, but you have to pay taxes on your machine at time of registration or you can get a 5 day pass for $20 a pop for each machine every time you want to ride in WI. You don't have to pay the tax thing on the annual pass if you traded a dirtbike for your ATV/UTV........just fill out the paperwork and show them your title. To registration all you need is a Bill of Sale or a State Title, ID and some cash. We're going up near the UP the weekend of Aug 14-16 and hope to have the Pilot registered by then and whipup on my friend with his Ace.

http://dnr.wi.gov/permits/trailpass.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:03 pm 

Got the approval today by the DNR in an e-mail for the Pilot, so it can now be registered in WI for a trail sticker as a UTV. Went to get it done but ran into a snag at the DNR Office in their system when it came to the weight section. The old part of the system has a UTV listed as 900lb to 2000lb for a weight limit and the new revised section states 2000lb and under where the cargo box has been deleted from the requirements also. The factory cargo box and the weight limits was the main holdup this whole time.......now that these both have been dropped as a requirement and a UTV can be any weight as long as it is under 2000lb along with meeting all of the other requirements for a UTV. The lady said we could put it in at 901lb and finish the registration, but I decided to just wait and send off one more e-mail to my contact to make sure the system glitch is corrected and my registration is done 100% correctly with nothing falsified. Oh, and no need for an inspection, just fill out the paperwork, have VIN#, State ID, Bill of Sale or title and hand over your money..........and then you are good to go with registration and stickers in hand when you walk out. This has been a long process and can finally see it is coming to the end with good results for all. If you have any questions or concerns on anything, let them fly as I will try to answer them or assist you the best I can.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:31 pm 

I admire your diligence in all of this I hope you document the ride up North, do you have a GPS so you can map the Pilot friendly trails?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:33 pm 

No GPS, but where we go in the Northeast you can drive a full size pickup truck down most trails we ride on. Most counties Upnorth you can buy state trail maps at most gas stations for $2/$5. I have some already, but once the Pilot becomes official I will be venturing to new places all over the state to find the best places to ride. I know the trails in the northwest are narrower and would have a hard time with anything other than an ATV......and it better be a 4X4.

Here is a site with free maps of the state trails by county.

https://www.watva.org/index.php/riding/trails

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:33 pm 

Pilot's all registered, stickered and ready to hit the WI trails. Was a long process but glad it's over......and better yet they registered it as an ATV instead of a UTV so now I can hit all of the trails and just not the UTV trails. If anyone needs help with getting this done just let me know and will help the best that I can. Your local field office might deny the registration as the rules have just been changed and the registration system is not up to date yet. Had to go to the local office two times and the person I have been working with in Madison had to send an e-mail and had to call and walk the local office person though it over the phone. Now if they would only open up the snowmobile trails to ATV's in the winter.......that would be awesome.

Profile E-mail