Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:35 am 

If anyone is interested, we have a large group going to Durhamtown Plantation in Georgia on December 11-13. Right now the weather looks good ahead. They have tent camping, RV sites, small and large cabins available. These will go pretty quick over the next few days I can imagine.

Come enjoy what I feel is the best place for FL machines!

December 11-13, 2020

Message me with any questions

https://www.durhamtown.com

See you there!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:34 pm 

Is this the entire park? I have never been there. Looks like a nice place.

Attachments:
dorr.jpg
dorr.jpg [ 97.33 KiB | Viewed 3273 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:52 pm 

That is the park, though only about 10% of it. What you are seeing mostly in that image are the camp grounds, cabins, lodge, parking lots, etc. Some of the tracks are pictured there, but there are miles and miles of trails much more and beyond that image. Its about 6500 acres.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:55 pm 

Here are better trail maps.

https://www.durhamtown.com/trail-maps

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:08 pm 

Holy cow those guys got everything:
Gun range
Arena cross
Flat track
Drag strip
Mud pit
GP track
Hill climb

Looks like it would be a great place to ride.
A little bit to far for me though LOL.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 am 

I wouldn't mind going one of those days, but I've still got work to do on the Ody. Also I've never gone riding anywhere before so it would be my first time...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:20 am 

Lanix wrote:
I wouldn't mind going one of those days, but I've still got work to do on the Ody. Also I've never gone riding anywhere before so it would be my first time...

We're mainly riding Saturday if you do decide to come.

If you can get it together it would be worth it. Near the day paring area there is a skid pad/flat circle track, drag strip, and a large UTV/ATV course. If anything happens you'll be a short distance back to your truck so its not like you'd be totally lost in the woods etc. They also have call boxes throughout some of the more designated trails and a $30 recovery charge for if you get really stuck... so its safe no matter the machine's state.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:35 pm 

ZeroClient wrote:
Lanix wrote:

If you can get it together it would be worth it. Near the day paring area there is a skid pad/flat circle track, drag strip, and a large UTV/ATV course. If anything happens you'll be a short distance back to your truck so its not like you'd be totally lost in the woods etc. They also have call boxes throughout some of the more designated trails and a $30 recovery charge for if you get really stuck... so its safe no matter the machine's state.

Sounds reasonable. It would be Saturday if any day.
I just ripped it apart again this morning and dropped the cylinder off at a machine shop to get it bored. Hopefully, it will be back in time to put it back together, then I might just show up. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:39 pm 

ZeroClient wrote:
Lanix wrote:

Wow that's awesome! Wish the places I went to had that,I'm always worried about getting lost :shock: :-) and stuck :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:48 pm 

I cant make it but was wondering.. whats the roads like getting in there from Augusta? My Motorhome is a big dog, just curious if theres steep grades and such?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:28 pm 

John l wrote:
I cant make it but was wondering.. whats the roads like getting in there from Augusta? My Motorhome is a big dog, just curious if theres steep grades and such?

The road is flat to get there. I’ve seen 45’ diesel pushers pulling 20’ enclosed. Some of the rv sites fit 75’

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:05 pm 

Still have to finish reassembly and verify my Engine doesn't leak and runs, but its looking like I might be able to make it.
if I can, what time would be a good time to show up on Saturday? About 3 1/2 hour drive from here

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:31 pm 

We’re riding Friday and Saturday. They don’t allow night rides so plan your Saturday. All day would be great if you can make it. We’re in the lower campground area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:22 am 

I was able to make it. It went okay overall, was a shakedown for me and the ody...
I had to rebuild my fuel pump as soon as I showed up, this thing literally went together last minute so I didn't get a chance to properly check the flow before I left, luckily I made sure to bring the rebuild kit just in case. After the rebuild the flow was great.

Finally got to take it for a ride THEN...
Rear shock broke after about 5 minutes of riding a oval flat track. It wasn't entirely flat...
Didn't even notice it until Zero waved me down with a spring in his hand!

Luckily I didn't break an axle, and I brought a spare shock and swapped it out.

No more problems for a bit until...
Image Image
Lost a lower shock bolt and destroyed an inner tie rod end.
I had an interesting, slow, drive the rest of the way out of the trail.
It was near the end of the day anyways, so not a whole lot more riding could have been done.

Not too worried about either failure, I have new shocks OTW and the tie rod end can be replaced, already reinstalled the missing bolt. When I put new shocks on ill be sure to be very liberal with the Loctite.

Engine ran great all day, checked compression before and after still at ~140.

Just a bit dirty

Hopefully, I didn't slow you guys down too much.
Those Pilots are impressive machines.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:10 pm 

Hey Lanix; you broke it but you also drove like you stole it! Great job!

I had a few failures as well; nothing too catastrophic.

On my FL600 Pilot, the starter bendix one-way bearing went out Saturday morning. Luckily it would catch sometimes and the Engine starts super easy so it wasn't a show stopper too much; but needs to be replaced now that I am home. Second I backed up into a stump or rock or something and bent one of rear lower lateral links. Already straightened it in my press though. Jetting is still a bit off on this Rotax. Needs smaller pilot AND main since I went back to the super restrictive airbox. Lastly the ITP mudlites are getting swapped for some Kinda Bear claws.

On my FL400 Pilot, it was pulling pretty badly to the left the whole day Friday. On saturday morning I went 1.5" toe-in on the front left and that at least made it easier to drive but kind of sketch. I actually found the brake pads were over-tightened within the drum causing bind-up and ultimately pulling to the left. The good is easy fix to loosen, and on this machine the rear brake actually is used way more than the front. The front left also had practically zero degrees of caster. Looks like both upper and lower arms have a little bit of bend in them, but I was able to chop a sliver and re-weld the arm right to get a few degrees of caster back. Will see how that goes; might need replacement arms someday. Then the Engine was over-reving slightly up to about 8000rpm. I added a powerbloc clutch weight to each puck, and also noticed the PB clutch is starting to De-D itself at the shaft's end. I may try to fix and weld something up before it is too late there else I might be in the market for a new PB clutch in a few months.

My FL617 Odyssey didn't move. It stayed clean and dry on the trailer and served its purpose as a backup machine - which was never used. Still though I will be adding gussets to the frame under the Engine

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:39 am 

Do you have to reset jetting. For your area vs wanoka ok. Elevation change. Since you have a nice air fuel set up and set at home was wondering if you checked at OK. I was thinking about trying your method out vs what I do to see how far I'm off.

Also look at your power block clutch cap before you work on it to see if it running true (no wobble). My shaft end was wore wired and had to be truded up after reworking the slot on the shaft.

I watched some video of a twin with Dave co running the woods (nitro). Wow that had to be fun. I instantly thought why not. Then remembered far is shut down. I have been moleing over a twin vs rs1. Maybe join the twin club. Of course I want fuel injection though or a four banger with fuel injection.

Thanks for the ride report and pictures

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:39 pm 

Thanks you guys for posting on your trip. Glad you had a good time. This location is on my short list for a visit. And Zero, thanks for the response on the roads getting in. My directions show Highway 20 to 22North and then Left on Lynnville, left on 44, right on Randolph Church Rd to the park.

Did you guys camp? cabin?

Profile E-mail