Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:27 pm 

Check your email...

I plan on leaving Lincon after work on Thursday...
That would put me at your place around midnight - Is that to late ?

We can then head to walden first thing Friday and grab a good spot (I hope)

Jerry is going to meet us there...

I'll also shoot a message to SpclEd he said he may swing up for a day with his boys

Let me know if I should bring something special (besides the off)

PS
I'll assume we can snag a little firewood from somewhere :shock:

Thanks
Dennis

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:14 pm 

Lots of firewood, but fire statewide fire ban in effect..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:23 pm 

Drakman wrote:

Darn I remember that now....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:33 pm 

Midnight is fine Dennis. I have to work Thursday night anyway, but I plan on being home well before then. I'll check my emails when I get home, I am at work now. See ya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:36 pm 

Drakman wrote:

Good fire would increase the size of the dunes?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:28 pm 

hoser wrote:
Drakman wrote:

Good fire would increase the size of the dunes?

I think that would work up at Killpecker, or Little Sahara, but at Walden, it would leave mostly rocks, since for the most part, the sand is already exposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:55 am 

Good fire would increase the size of the dunes. LMFAO!! Damn right! and maybe thin out some of the skeeters too. I bet there will be some drunk yahoo with a big fire going. :-) (not me)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:48 pm 

I just got back from Walden, not very many people there. Maybe everyone else thought it would be crowed and stayed away. We had decent weather and riding conditions. I was fairly breezy, so flies we not an issue. Despite the campfire and fireworks ban, late last nite a couple of idiots just had to do both. Fortunately it didn't start any forest fires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:54 am 

Yep - I made it back also...

Great trip - Great Weather - Great Ridding...

Got back to Lincoln 91+ temp and humidity so thick you sweat just standing sill... YECK....

No Crazy stories
No Wild Crashes
No Tows back to camp
No Flats
No fires (of course we had no Ike or Fed)

Man we must be doing something wrong :-)

Walden is a neat place (Wish I had something like that closer to home)
Not real big but good variety of stuff...

Next time we go we must make sure and take some non-paddle tires to check out some more of the trails and the high roads up into the mountains....

I should have some picts in a day or so...

Dennis

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:25 pm 

I do have an interesting thing from that trip......Ok, I went ahead and reinstalled that beat to death piston in the 420. I removed most of the ceramic coating, all the teflon coat(that was left), put fresh grooves/scratches around the skirt with 120 grit sand paper to help the oil hold on, cleaned the piston ring grooves back up to spec, then re installed the rings exactly the way I took the off. I checked the compression before I left, 92-94lbs. Damn, hope it holds up long enough for several hours of riding, not to mention I will be going 2,500ft higher up to ride.

I installed the huge 26" tires and the clutch with the "new cams". Big mistake. It was absolutly boggy/rich all thru the power band. The cams/spring didn't allow it to get into the power band at all. Dennis had a small jet and 20" sand shark paddles to give and Jerry offered his new top of the line buggy stand...thanks guys. I jetted down 8 sizes and 2 clip positions before I could pin the throttle without blubbering. I couldn't adjust the clutch either so I could never get her in the power band so I just rode it like that(10 or so hours total).

Anyway, as I was leaving I checked the compression, 130-135!!!! Damn, what happened? I thought maybe it never really seated at KP? I checked it again today here at 6,000ft... 145LBS!!! WOOHOOO. I put the good clutch back on and the 22" Spider Tracks, she is faster than ever. Maybe lean now with the changed jetting? Nope, plug looks pefect, chocolate.

Why did the compression raise? Was that teflon crap effecting ring seating during break in? Those brown blow by areas Hoser spotted earlier caused by lack of ring seating? I still need a new piston soon, there was 20-30 thousandths gap near the mid skirt areas. Confused but happy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:29 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:
I do have an interesting thing from that trip......Ok, I went ahead and reinstalled that beat to death piston in the 420. I removed most of the ceramic coating, all the teflon coat(that was left), put fresh grooves/scratches around the skirt with 120 grit sand paper to help the oil hold on, cleaned the piston ring grooves back up to spec, then re installed the rings exactly the way I took the off. I checked the compression before I left, 92-94lbs. Damn, hope it holds up long enough for several hours of riding, not to mention I will be going 2,500ft higher up to ride.

I installed the huge 26" tires and the clutch with the "new cams". Big mistake. It was absolutly boggy/rich all thru the power band. The cams/spring didn't allow it to get into the power band at all. Dennis had a small jet and 20" sand shark paddles to give and Jerry offered his new top of the line buggy stand...thanks guys. I jetted down 8 sizes and 2 clip positions before I could pin the throttle without blubbering. I couldn't adjust the clutch either so I could never get her in the power band so I just rode it like that(10 or so hours total).

Anyway, as I was leaving I checked the compression, 130-135!!!! Damn, what happened? I thought maybe it never really seated at KP? I checked it again today here at 6,000ft... 145LBS!!! WOOHOOO. I put the good clutch back on and the 22" Spider Tracks, she is faster than ever. Maybe lean now with the changed jetting? Nope, plug looks pefect, chocolate.

Why did the compression raise? Was that teflon crap effecting ring seating during break in? Those brown blow by areas Hoser spotted earlier caused by lack of ring seating? I still need a new piston soon, there was 20-30 thousandths gap near the mid skirt areas. Confused but happy!

Did you hone the cylinder when you reinstalled?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:42 pm 

Nope, just put it back in the way it came out. I figured the rings are exactly rubbing the same area. I think my compression was just under a 100lbs after KP but I didn't write it down(and I am getting older too).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:35 am 

That rising compression was strange but sure a lot better than falling compression. Do you think the coolant leak you fixed up there had anything to do with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:26 am 

The coolant leak should not have had anything to do with it, it was external. The coolant leak at Killpecker was internal and didn't start until well later. I think that the teflon may have played a roll in not allowing the rings to fully seat. Just a theory and I am wrong often. LOL. Just wondered if anyone else has ever had this happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:40 am 

You using the same compression tester?

I don't think the skirt coating would affect the ring seal unless it was being worn off and deposited or embedded into the cylinder wall where it was meeting the rings? You know me I don't like them coatings I seen too many problems caused by them, at best they mask other problems that need to be addressed then the coatings fail in the end.

Their has been BILLIONS of uncoated pistons put into service without coatings they lived their life just fine without them, I have seen engines that were modified to double and sometimes triple the HP and torque they came with stock and still don't require any coatings, the only thing I like about the coatings is its another market to feed our economy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:44 am 

You change your brand of oil or gas to oil ratio?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 am 

I used the same tester, oil and ratio. I tested the tester on another machine and its reading correctly. The only other thing different was a very heavy load(the tires and mis-adjusted clutch) for around 8-10 hrs or so.

I put the other clutch back on late yesterday and the 22" spider tracks. Hell, its faster than it was the first time. Checked the jetting and it is a nice dark chocolate color, little rich. Very strange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:55 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:
I used the same tester, oil and ratio. I tested the tester on another machine and its reading correctly. The only other thing different was a very heavy load(the tires and mis-adjusted clutch) for around 8-10 hrs or so.

I put the other clutch back on late yesterday and the 22" spider tracks. Hell, its faster than it was the first time. Checked the jetting and it is a nice dark chocolate color, little rich. Very strange.

Not having the machine in front of me to tinker with I have to ASSume the load seated the rings, http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=1269

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:12 pm 

Here are some pictures that one of the quad guys took up there.

Attachments:
DSC00031.jpg
DSC00031.jpg [ 66.97 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]
DSC00051.jpg
DSC00051.jpg [ 89.26 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]
DSC00080.jpg
DSC00080.jpg [ 35.13 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]
DSC00100.jpg
DSC00100.jpg [ 140.77 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]
DSC00180.jpg
DSC00180.jpg [ 117.57 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:22 pm 

Nice pics what did Jerry think of the stock Pilot?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:26 pm 

hoser wrote:

Dennis insisted I take the Drak most of the time, so, I never got to ride it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:36 pm 

Drakman wrote:

hoser wrote:

Dennis insisted I take the Drak most of the time, so, I never got to ride it.

Oops sorry about that Jerry...

The darn pilot was running so fat that I had to change main jet 2 times eventually going to the smallest jet I carry 140 and raising the clip to the highest notch...
I even had the airbox lid off...

Maybe we can get Jerry out of "New Blue" on the next ride and he can try a stock pilot if he wants - although Im not sure he would want to :-)

Later
Dennis

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:14 pm 

Maybe we can get Jerry out of "New Blue" on the next ride and he can try a stock pilot if he wants - although Im not sure he would want to :-)

If 'ole blue was a Cadillac, new blue is sure to be a limo, maybe some time I will try one of the 'sports cars' some of you drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:02 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:

Figure anyhting out yet, take the top end off for inspection to see exactly whats going on?

Fed get them DVD's I sent yet?

Fed get his Engine apart yet to see what happen?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:17 pm 

I have the inlaws here for a while so I have not tore into the 420 yet. I may ride it a little while longer like this before mod II.

Fed has the disks now but I have not heard of any completed movies yet. Sounds like alot of clips worth to sift through too.

Fed has not tore into his motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) yet, he is gutting part of his house and moving walls and such. Sounds like work.

Been cold and wet here for several days. The HIGH I seen at my house today was 57 degrees. Brrrrrr, LOL, I thought it was July, but maybe I was mistaken again. Feels like October.