Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glamis
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:26 pm 

GPS

Attachments:
glamis_tracks.jpg
glamis_tracks.jpg [ 140.73 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:26 pm 

sat

Attachments:
satphoto.jpg
satphoto.jpg [ 94.73 KiB | Viewed 1456 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:34 pm 

More

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:26 pm 

hoser, are you guys going to glamis over christmas break then? i remeber you said something about your boy wanting to go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:13 pm 

bugpac wrote:
hoser, are you guys going to glamis over christmas break then? i remeber you said something about your boy wanting to go...

NO soonest I could go would be leave home on JAN 1st, take me 2 days to get their?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: glamis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:19 am 

where should a newbie to the sand, who is also in a wheelchair, go to at glamis? Is there a parking lot that is cemented close to the action?
what about accessible bathrooms? anything?

thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: glamis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:34 am 

MonkeyWrench wrote:
where should a newbie to the sand, who is also in a wheelchair, go to at glamis? Is there a parking lot that is cemented close to the action?

thanks

When are you planning on going?

You asked these questions at www.glamisonline.com ?

Their site currently not working for me...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:37 am 

http://www.glamisdunes.com/Pages/rulesa ... mrules.htm

BLM Rules For Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area

Rules designed to promote public safety in the Imperial Valley Sand Dunes have been in effect since 1983. PLEASE REMEMBER, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW THE LAW. These rules apply to public lands within the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area. Generally, the area encompasses public lands from one mile north of Mammoth Wash to the Mexican border (north to south) and from the Southern Pacific Railroad, Ogilby Road and the Boardmanville area, the the old Coachella Canal (east to west).

Safety Flags are required on all off-highway vehicles. (This includes two-wheeled motorcycles)

All off-highway vehicles shall be equipped with an 8-foot whip mast and a 6x12 inch red or orange flag. Flags may be of pennant, triangle, square, or rectangular shape. Masts must be securely mounted on the vehicles and extend 8 feet from the ground to the mast tip. Safety flags must be attached within 10 inches of the tip of the whip mast with club or other flags mounted below the safety flag or on another whip.

A 15 M.P.H. speed rule exists on the sand highways. No person shall operate OHV in excess of 15 m.p.h. on public lands within 500 feet of Highway 78, Grays Well Road, Gecko Road, and access roads within the Gecko and Roadrunner recreation sites.

Fires - The burning of potentially hazardous materials e.g.(but not limited to) gas, oil, plastic and magnesium is prohibited.

No glass beverage containers are allowed. Possession or use of any glass, cup or bottle empty or not, used for carrying any liquid for drinking purposes is prohibited. Persons may pick up glass beverage containers discarded by others to remove for deposit in approved trash receptacles.

No alcoholic beverages allowed while riding on BLM lands. No person shall drink an alcoholic beverage, have in their possession or on their person any open container that contains an alcoholic beverage while operating in or on a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) vehicle or OHV on public lands administered by BLM within California. NO PERSON UNDER AGE 21 SHALL BE IN POSSESION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

Use of audio devices. No person shall operate or use any audio device, such as a radio, television, musical instrument, or other noise producing device or motorized equipment between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. in a manner that makes unreasonable noise that disturbs other visitors; or operate or use a public address system without written authorization from BLM.

Reserving of camping spaces is prohibited; sites are allocated on a first come/first served basis.

Taking off or landing of aircraft, including ultralights, is prohibited within 1 mile of Gecko Road.

Dumping of sewage is prohibited.

A 14 day camping limit is in effect in the imperial sand dunes recreation area.

No parking or camping within 10 feet of pavement on Gecko Road.

Shooting is prohibited within 1/2 mile of formal campgrounds and should be conducted well away from other concentrations of people and property.

BLM supplementary rules re-established under authority of 43 CFR 8365 1-6. Violations of the rules are punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 and/or imprisonment not to exceed 12 months (43 CFR 8360 0-7). Also, all OHV's must be operated in accordance with State laws and regulations relating to use registration, operation, and inspection of OHV's (43 CFR 8341 1{a}).

Helmet Usage. All persons, regardless of age, who operate or ride all-terrain vehicles (ATV's) on public lands in California must wear an approved safety helmet. (38505 C.V.C.).

Parental Supervision No person under the age of 14 shall operate an all-terrain vehicle unless that person satisfies the requirements of 38503 C.V.C. (safety certification) and in addition, is accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian. (38504 C.V.C.)

Carrying of passengers. No operator of an all0terrain vehicle shall carry a passenger while operating on public lands. (38506 C.V.C.)

Operating an OHV under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. It is unlawful for any person who is under the influence of an alcoholic beverage or any drug, or under the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug, to drive a vehicle. (23152(a) C.V.C.). Driving while license is suspended/revoked off road as well as on road is against the law. (14601 C.V.C.)

Speed laws
1. Basic speed law: Don't operate an off-highways vehicle faster than it is safe for conditions(38505 C.V.C)

2. Prima Facie Speed Limit: The prima facie speed limit within 50 feet of any campground, campsite, or concentration of people or animals shall be under 15 m.p.h. unless changed as authorized by the code. (38310 C.V.C.)

Registration
1. Vehicles operated on federal and state highways, county roads, and BLM's Gecko Road, Gray's Well Road, and McCain Valley must be licensed for highway use.

2. Off highway vehicles owned by California residents must be registered with the California Department of motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) Vehicles and display a valid "Green Sticker" vehicle identification tag (38020, 38010 (C.V.C.) in a clearly visible location on the vehicle. (38170) C.V.C.)

3. Beginning 1/1/97, off highway vehicles that do not have valid registration or permit from the owners home state (incl. Mexico and Canada) will be required to purchase a special California permit (sticker) through selected vendors in California and Nevada or the California Dept. of Parks and Recreation 916-324-4442 (38020 CVC)

Required Equipment According to California State law, any off-highway vehicle must be equipped with an approved muffler, brakes, and spark arrester. Headlight and taillight are required for operation at night. Tail lights must include at least one red light.

Environmental Damage. No person shall operate an off-highway vehicle in a manner likely to cause environmental damage. (38319 C.V.C., 43 CFR 8341. 1{f}{4}).

Firearms California state law - Firearms must not be discharged within 150 yards of residences, buildings, campsites, occupied areas, RECREATIONAL AREAS, or domestic livestock. No shooting from or across any road. No shooting from a vehicle. It is unlawful to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

If you have any questions or comments regarding Glamisdunes, call the BLM at (760) 337-4400 or write to the El Centro Field Office at
Bureau of Land Management
1661 South 4th Street
El Centro, CA 92243

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:30 pm 

I have only been ONCE so by no means am I an expert, but, in your situation the place I parked at was within sight of both the ranger station and a pem, outhouse. I couldn't remember if it was Handicap accessable but would think so with the BLM building and maintaining it!!! in the above maps, I was on Gecko just past the Ranger Station. Option 2 would be to contact the store and ask them... Go enjoy yourself!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: glamis
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:33 pm 

MonkeyWrench wrote:

thanks

At the section just south of I-8, is a large and pretty level parking lot, there were a lot of big motorhomes and other large rigs. The area I parked on was just gravel, but, it SEEMS that some of it was paved. In any event, I would think this is the best area for a beginner. It is just a few miles west of Yuma, Arizona, maybe the second or third exit.

Post subject: thanks for the info guys
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:41 am 

hopefully Im headed down the week after presidents weekend.
will be the first time in the sand with the pilot...cant wait.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:03 am 

I found this clip of Baron Von Hoser at Glamis enjoy

http://www.break.com/index/badseat1.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:42 pm 

Attachments:
305706.jpg
305706.jpg [ 147.72 KiB | Viewed 1191 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:57 pm 

That's our main stompin grounds.

Post subject: Attn Monkeywrench
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:59 am 

another good place to park is at the GECKO campsite or the ROADRUNNER campsite( they are both off GECKO RD.) they have some places to park on that are asphalt or concrete and there are restrooms at both campgrounds -I think there is a small path of gravel(3-6ft) to get across, from the road to the restroom, but restrooms are set up to accommodate the handicapped....you may try calling the GLAMIS ranger station for more info

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:02 am 

Im headed down and Im excited...i'l bet it will be crowded cusz the three day weekend but i don't care it should be fun!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:58 pm 

TurboTexas review of Glamis
http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=2491

Profile E-mail