Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hungry Valley SVRA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:24 pm 

Anyone ever ridden here?? This is my favorite place to go primarily because I live 28 miles south of the park.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1192

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:16 pm 

Anyone ever ridden here??? I ride here about 2-3 times a month. It would be nice to see someone or ride with someone who has a pilot or 350....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:36 am 

cruz_01 wrote:
Anyone ever ridden here??? I ride here about 2-3 times a month. It would be nice to see someone or ride with someone who has a pilot or 350....

Any ride trip pics?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:04 pm 

hoser wrote:
cruz_01 wrote:

Any ride trip pics?

I'll brew some up for you hoser.. I think I'll be out there this Friday..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am 

Here are some pics I could find... I'll upload more after my ride at the end of the week..

Attachments:
File comment: Usual Site where I park. The bike is my cardio workout and the pilot is fun time
Photo_061309_001.jpg
Photo_061309_001.jpg [ 339.26 KiB | Viewed 1852 times ]
File comment: Typical rattlers to watch out for....
Photo_061309_003.jpg
Photo_061309_003.jpg [ 225.95 KiB | Viewed 1852 times ]
File comment: Fun time...
18747282570_ORIG.jpeg
18747282570_ORIG.jpeg [ 28.74 KiB | Viewed 1988 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:51 am 

Looks like a top spot for the Pilot.Nice level jump.
Tell me,has anyone ever cut open the rattler end to see what makes it rattle? I know ...I'm wierd.
You guys are pussys up there :-) your snakes actually tell/warn you that they're there?
Downunder here........step..........ouch.............WTF!!! :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:52 am 

bugeye59 wrote:
Looks like a top spot for the Pilot.Nice level jump.
Tell me,has anyone ever cut open the rattler end to see what makes it rattle? I know ...I'm wierd.
You guys are pussys up there :-) your snakes actually tell/warn you that they're there?
Downunder here........step..........ouch.............WTF!!! :-)

Sometimes they do and don't. I've had rattlers in my backyard where they only rattle when your about three feet away from them. Not good......

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:24 pm 

I would be interested in checking this place out sometime. I live in ontario so its not too far. After i get my new fox airs up front revalved we should plan a weekend. What part of LA are you in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:27 pm 

shoubadaba wrote:
I would be interested in checking this place out sometime. I live in ontario so its not too far. After i get my new fox airs up front revalved we should plan a weekend. What part of LA are you in?

I live in Valencia which north of Los Angeles, by Magic Mountain.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:31 pm 

As far as what makes a rattler rattle... there are numerous segments in the rattle that are hollow segments that are loosely attached to each other. Each year when the rattler sheds it's skin it adds a new segment to its rattle. Its the segments rattling against each other that makes the noise.

I used to live in Torrance Ca. and Bakersfield Ca. and used to frequent Hungry Valley SVRA (Gorman) frequently. I have probably ridden there well over a hundred times since the late 70's to the early 90's! I miss the place. There are miles and miles of trails to ride on. A lot of them are wide enough for Ody's and Pilots. I have ridden my 77 FL250 there quite a bit.

I rode to the top of Mount Pinos once and while sitting at the top at about 9000 feet, the group I was with got buzzed by an F4 Phantom Jet. I'm guessing it was from Edwards AFB.

Speaking of the Edwards AFB (Mojave) area...... Hey Cruz_01, have you ever been to Jawbone (Red Rock) Canyon or to El Mirage dry lake bed? Not to far from your area and a lot more are to ride.

Anyone have any info on how much of Hungry Valley SVRA (Gorman) is still open?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:05 pm 

I have always wanted to stop at this place! I just haven't been able to tell if I could get into the parking lot with the 18 wheeler...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:42 pm 

A few things and myths about rattlesnakes:

1. The snake in the pic is NOT a rattlesnake, that is a common gopher snake, I have been catching them for 40 years, both rattlers and gopher snakes. My daughter has one now as a pet.

2. Rattlers can and will shed numerous times a year, sometimes as often as 5 times so the number of rattles is no indication of their age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:54 pm 

Well ya learn sumtin nu ever day! :-)

I thought it was once a year. Looks like I need to read up on my Ophiology!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:01 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
I have always wanted to stop at this place! I just haven't been able to tell if I could get into the parking lot with the 18 wheeler...

There was room before to get a rig into the entrance before but the probably have changed the layout since. It's been so long since I've been there I'm sure it's changed. When I used to ride there there were no facilities such as the covered areas or even crap houses.

If I remember right there are two entrances to the park. The main entrance and a secondary entrance about 5 miles south.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:35 am 

Ody_Stable wrote:

1. The snake in the pic is NOT a rattlesnake, that is a common gopher snake, I have been catching them for 40 years, both rattlers and gopher snakes. My daughter has one now as a pet.

2. Rattlers can and will shed numerous times a year, sometimes as often as 5 times so the number of rattles is no indication of their age.

Your right odystable.. I looked at other pics I had of that snake and it isn't a rattler. To me, all snakes that I see out in my neck of the woods look the same and freak me out... I'm impressed you were able to identify what kind of snake was in the pic...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:49 am 

Randman wrote:
As far as what makes a rattler rattle... there are numerous segments in the rattle that are hollow segments that are loosely attached to each other. Each year when the rattler sheds it's skin it adds a new segment to its rattle. Its the segments rattling against each other that makes the noise.

I used to live in Torrance Ca. and Bakersfield Ca. and used to frequent Hungry Valley SVRA (Gorman) frequently. I have probably ridden there well over a hundred times since the late 70's to the early 90's! I miss the place. There are miles and miles of trails to ride on. A lot of them are wide enough for Ody's and Pilots. I have ridden my 77 FL250 there quite a bit.

I rode to the top of Mount Pinos once and while sitting at the top at about 9000 feet, the group I was with got buzzed by an F4 Phantom Jet. I'm guessing it was from Edwards AFB.

Speaking of the Edwards AFB (Mojave) area...... Hey Cruz_01, have you ever been to Jawbone (Red Rock) Canyon or to El Mirage dry lake bed? Not to far from your area and a lot more are to ride.

Anyone have any info on how much of Hungry Valley SVRA (Gorman) is still open?

Rand

I've been riding at the park (Hungry Valley) for about eight years so I don't know how much of the park was open when you were riding there. IMO the park is huge considering its a state operated park. There are covered areas in the various campsites around the park and each campsite has a bathroom. I haven't been to neither but I've ridden in California City which is southeast of Jawbone. I want to ride in El Mirage but obviously only in the winter time. Blackhawks and F18's buzz around Hungry Valley often.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 pm 

can you ride here during summer months? or does it get too hot?

I was just at a r/c car race in saugus yesterday, i used valencia exit off the 5. that was about an hour drive with no traffic cruzing at 75mph. with trailer it would obviously take longer, but i would like to check this area out still. when do you plan to go again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm 

How hot is too hot?

Just looking at a year long average temperature chart for the area the hottest summer month of July averages about 85 degrees. This was our favorite summer ride spot. Not too hot in the summer and breezy. Elevation ranges from about 3800 feet to 9000 feet at the highest peaks. Man if it wasn't an 8 hour drive for me I'd go with you guys!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandg ... h/USCA0432

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:48 pm 

cruz_01 wrote:
Ody_Stable wrote:

Your right odystable.. I looked at other pics I had of that snake and it isn't a rattler. To me, all snakes that I see out in my neck of the woods look the same and freak me out... I'm impressed you were able to identify what kind of snake was in the pic...

I am weird like that when it comes to identifying snakes, pisses my wife off that I can identify a snake whilst driving 65 on the highway, but can't remember the color of car some blond was driving at a stop light, go figure.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:25 am 

Ody_Stable wrote:
cruz_01 wrote:
Ody_Stable wrote:

I am weird like that when it comes to identifying snakes, pisses my wife off that I can identify a snake whilst driving 65 on the highway, but can't remember the color of car some blond was driving at a stop light, go figure.........

Haha.... Funniest thing I've read all day...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:31 am 

nickRNR wrote:
can you ride here during summer months? or does it get too hot?

I was just at a r/c car race in saugus yesterday, i used valencia exit off the 5. that was about an hour drive with no traffic cruzing at 75mph. with trailer it would obviously take longer, but i would like to check this area out still. when do you plan to go again?

You talking about Hot Rod Hobbies?? Bought my first Team Associated World truck back when they started with the metal chassis...

Like Rand said, during the summer, it will get up to the mid to high 80's.

I'm going again this Friday... From Valencia to Gorman, it takes about 30minutes and that's pulling a trailer...

Whenever you have some time to venture up to my neck of the woods, let me know.....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:10 pm 

Yes, Hot Rod hobbies, Jimmy Babcock (the owner) puts on his series called the Jimmy Babcock Racing League (JBRL) I think Hot Rod is one of my favorite tracks.

I might have some time comin up at the end of May. I will be out of state june 9th-22nd, and pismo july 16-19, I can squeeze a few weekends of riding in there somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:13 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
Yes, Hot Rod hobbies, Jimmy Babcock (the owner) puts on his series called the Jimmy Babcock Racing League (JBRL) I think Hot Rod is one of my favorite tracks.

I might have some time comin up at the end of May. I will be out of state june 9th-22nd, and pismo july 16-19, I can squeeze a few weekends of riding in there somewhere.

I think I can go either May 28-29th or June 4th-5th. Let me know if that works for you..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:58 am 

June 4th and 5th would work, we would probably want to stay until sunday the 6th as well. Lets make a thread in the "riding trips/races" page. Sounds fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:01 am 

nickRNR wrote:
June 4th and 5th would work, we would probably want to stay until sunday the 6th as well. Lets make a thread in the "riding trips/races" page. Sounds fun!

I know for sure I can go the 4th but not sure about the fifth.

Profile E-mail