Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 pm 

I am only aware of Rocky Glenn OHV Park in Rockford.
I am wondering if you can take these on the snow mobile trails in WI. I know you can take a quad, but the DNR has not said anything about side by sides or Pilots. Let me know where I can ride?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:55 am 

Check current WI laws years ago if you sat on the ATV you could ride the trails if you "sat in" the ATV like a Pilot Odyssey or side by side you could NOT use the trails, heard they were changing the laws so they can run the side by sides on the trails.

Let us know what you find out please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:35 am 

DNR in WI has updated their guidelines and they will let UTVs and side by sides on the trails, but check the website for specifics and age restrictions. They will not let you take in a Pilot yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:43 am 

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/atv/

Once someone figures it out let me know so much info I have no idea where to start.

"ATV Laws" is 35 pages long :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:15 am 

I got in touch with Atkinson Motorsports park rear Ottawa and they do allow Pilots to run wild.
The Cliffs in Marsailles are also letting Pilots run. I was surprised as they let go carts run there as well. If anyone has tried these tow locations, let me know if it's a good place to run.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:13 am 

hoguer62 wrote:
I got in touch with Atkinson Motorsports park rear Ottawa and they do allow Pilots to run wild.
The Cliffs in Marsailles are also letting Pilots run. I was surprised as they let go carts run there as well. If anyone has tried these tow locations, let me know if it's a good place to run.

Where about are you at in chicagoland? I'm out here in BUFU manteno IL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:00 pm 

hoguer62 wrote:

The cliffs is small tight woods slow moving type riding good for a day trip maybe a meet and greet type ride that is more of a social event than riding since the place is small, its real close for me my son is a lifetime member and almost a permanent fixture their he uses a 4x4 truck.

Never been to or heard of the other place here is some info I found on their website.

Quote:
Wow! What a find, we have 216 acres of the old Peabody Coal processing facility. The coal company closed over 40 years ago and Mother Nature has created some of the best riding ground you will ever see.

We have 100 acres of undiscovered timber with lakes and hills, 116 acres of desert-like riding with lakes (you discover how deep they are), hills and valleys, and some of the most open and unrestricted riding you will find this side of California. For the more conservative riders, our perimeter road is over 4 miles long and has some beautiful vistas.

We have a 28 site campground with full hookups. A state of the art shower house and dump station are also on the facility. Come and check out our motocross track! We also have a children's track with plenty of room for parking so mom can keep track of the next generation of dirt racers. So come and enjoy the Atkinson Motorsports Park (Gob Hill). Also, keep in mind the park is right across the street from Shabbona Creek RV, one of the Midwest's largest RV dealers.

Under the rules section
Quote:
# 8. A valid DNR sticker must be affixed to all machines.

Illinois DNR is broke looks like they are trying to take another slice of the pie have to assume this 216 acers of riding land is on state owned property since DNR is taking a fee to ride.

Look at the pics http://www.gobhill.com/pictures/ looks like a great place if you like mud, when the place is then dry it will be rough dried out ruts and mud holes if you go take plenty of mosquito repellent lmao

If that is a old coal mine area and its anything like the coal mines in the Ottawa area that mud/clay will etch the paint and make your whole machine a rust bucket no matter how fast and well you wash it off.

Cant see me driving all that way for 216 acers think I rather put the gas money towards a 2 day trip to the Badlands its about 2 hr drive for me.

Thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:24 pm 

How is the Rocky Glen park in Rockford? I drive by it all the time but it looks real small off the highway. I've also never been to the place in Atkinson. The offroad park in Ottawa is Fox Valley Offroad. It's alright but small and mainly setup for dirtbikes. Motocross track and a few descent hills but the trails are very tight even on a quad. Staff sucks! I won't even be taking my Odyssey there.
The Cliffs is a fun place to go. I used to have the Jeep itch and its a fun place to play. I havn't had my buggy out there yet but its always a good time. As for what you can ride/drive there it's pretty much run what you brung. Tires must be under 39 1/2", NO open headers, and I don't think you're supposed to bring full size pickups.(they'll let you run but you best not mind serious body damage!) basically if your equipment is reasonably safe your good. It's a very friendly group of people including staff. Its probably my favorite place to ride with it so local but it's not the biggest place and you gotta be cautious with the weather. It can be a very, very, muddy mess after a big rain and also gets dry and very dusty other times. They also just finished a zip line coarse for any daredevils.
The Badlands in Attica, IN is another very nice place to ride. A couple of my buddy's and I try to make it there at least 3 times a year. There is a campground at the entrance of the park. They have primitive and electric sites, an atv wash area and a block shower house (bring shower shoes) you can camp and just ride your atv into the park. Staff at the campground and the riding park are very nice. If your looking for a serious place around northern IL i'll agree with Hoser. Save a little extra up and go for Attica. It has a lot of room and pretty open terrain. I'd also watch the weather at this place. We were out for one weekend that was raining and the riding was great(no dust). Most times bring plenty of fresh air filters and enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:30 pm 

Ive been to rocky glen in rockford with a 250 oddy and it was a good time... mud-dusty-rocky. I have also been to the cliffs with a 250 and that was a total blast got covered head to toe in mud with a friend and got lost in the woods. They have poor marked trails but is more geared toward 4x4's. Attica is the best yet... and there is silver lake ,Mi too which i have not been to yet but i hear is much finer sand, sand, and more sand! they also have a campgound and are opening on APRIL 1 i believe. I have moved upto a 350 now so im gonn hit em all again including silver lakes this summer. The guy i bought my 350 from told me he used to ride somewhere by apple canyon lake near Galena, il????? If anyone know about that one id like to try that too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:35 pm 

Tpreed wrote:
hoguer62 wrote:

Where about are you at in chicagoland? I'm out here in BUFU manteno IL

I am near O'Hare about 15 miiles west of the city.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 pm 

WI recently changed their laws to allow side by side...as stated above, the Pilot didn't make their list of approved however I have been told that may change. I have seen and talked with other Pilot owners up there and they say the DNR for the most part has been allowing them unless you're being a jerk...make sure you get your tags, that is the main thing they are looking for...their money and that you stay on the trails.

Iowa has some good riding...Pilots are allowed into a couple of ATV parks, one near me is just south of Ely IA...(south of Cedar Rapids). They have several MX tracks you can try your machine on, some trails, sand, water...mud holes...not a huge place but still fun. It's approx 4 hours from Chicago...You'll still need to get an out of state tag and the DNR does check.

Any of you IL guys heading this way, give me a shout and I'll try to meet up with you, guide you around the area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:53 pm 

Randy J. wrote:
Ive been to rocky glen in rockford with a 250 oddy and it was a good time... mud-dusty-rocky. I have also been to the cliffs with a 250 and that was a total blast got covered head to toe in mud with a friend and got lost in the woods. They have poor marked trails but is more geared toward 4x4's. Attica is the best yet... and there is silver lake ,Mi too which i have not been to yet but i hear is much finer sand, sand, and more sand! they also have a campgound and are opening on APRIL 1 i believe. I have moved upto a 350 now so im gonn hit em all again including silver lakes this summer. The guy i bought my 350 from told me he used to ride somewhere by apple canyon lake near Galena, il????? If anyone know about that one id like to try that too.

The reason the trails are marked so poorly at the Cliffs is apparently a lot of people like to take trail markers home a souvenirs and leave new people SOL. Kinda sucks but that's how people are. About Apple Canyon, one of the office lady's from my work has a cabin in Galena and I've heard her mention Apple canyon. I'll ask her if she knows anything about this place. Where are you from Randy J? I'm in Ottawa. I intend to have several weekend riding trips this year. Maybe we could meet up on a few. Crossing fingers for early May Badlands trip if I have all the bugs worked out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:21 am 

Fatcat wrote:
Randy J. wrote:

The reason the trails are marked so poorly at the Cliffs is apparently a lot of people like to take trail markers home a souvenirs and leave new people SOL. Kinda sucks but that's how people are. About Apple Canyon, one of the office lady's from my work has a cabin in Galena and I've heard her mention Apple canyon. I'll ask her if she knows anything about this place. Where are you from Randy J? I'm in Ottawa. I intend to have several weekend riding trips this year. Maybe we could meet up on a few. Crossing fingers for early May Badlands trip if I have all the bugs worked out.

Keep me in the loop for a Badlands... We also have the IATVHSS that we can race in...be fun to have a few more out there...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:32 pm 

FAtcat, Im in s suburbs.... OakLawn area. I have to build my 350 yet; i bought it dismantled so i have alot of work to do before i go play, but i hope to be out in mid-late april to badlands or atleast cliffs or something. I'll let ya know when im ready with the 350.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 am 

Randy J. wrote:
FAtcat, Im in s suburbs.... OakLawn area. I have to build my 350 yet; i bought it dismantled so i have alot of work to do before i go play, but i hope to be out in mid-late april to badlands or atleast cliffs or something. I'll let ya know when im ready with the 350.

Just saw this. Sounds good!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:49 pm 

Randy J. wrote:

I live in Manteno, IL and work in Oak Lawn at Christ! Keep me in the loop on this riding , let me know if you need help with anything 350 related. I have some extra parts kicking around also..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:44 pm 

i noticed badlands was mentioned. im in northwest indiana, and i live bout 2hrs from badlands. ive taken my quads there few times before and would love a pilot trip to there or anywhere with some guys with pilots or oddys. keep me in the loop if you guys are cool with that. i also saw manteno and ottawa mentioned. if you guys have a place to ride near you let me know. im always down for some riding.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:11 am 

I would not mind doing a Badlands trip before it gets too hot anybody else?

I would be taking the RV and spending the night in the camp ground at the park.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 am 

If a date can be set, please post it......I should be able to get a couple of pilots and RZR out there.....maybe see if bubba66 can get out there with one of his toys......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 am 

hoser wrote:
I would not mind doing a Badlands trip before it gets too hot anybody else?

I would be taking the RV and spending the night in the camp ground at the park.

I'll definately be there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:54 pm 

Hoser where are you in chicago? Im in Evergreen Park-S Suburbs. Myself and a friend both have 350s and will be heading to badlands soon with his rv... I just need to finish putiing this 350 back together first... Hope to get a group to go that would rock!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:44 pm 

let me know the badlands date. april? may? i just ordered a speedchaser cool head. so i should be able to stop head gasket scenario. and just put four all new shocks on her so i be ready, if that's cool with you guys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:29 pm 

How's May 26-27 sound to everyone. I should be ready by then. Started looking at how to mount the radiator today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:49 pm 

That date should be good for myself and buddies, how soon can we lock this date in? Just need to know so that any work related plans can be dealt with prior to the date of the ride......

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:50 pm 

i can do that date if its cool. can i invite buddies with other (non pilot/oddy) toys? or is it just pilot/oddy/revolt type of trip?

Profile E-mail