Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:40 pm 

I do have a stock Pilot clutch bolt Hoser-I just got it in from the original seller as a matter of fact-perfect timing huh?
I'll ship it out tomorrow to you UPS ground
That washer is a real sweet set-up Hoser-I have a feeling others will be doing this mod in the future for sure.This is exactly why I sent this Pilot to you-to experiment-set-up, test new ideas for the group,it seems to be working already'Doesnt MASSODY have a powerbloc that needs this mod?I can remember a few fellas having issues with there clutches as well.
Nice red BTW-spray can all the way on this ride-powdercoat isnt a option.
Thanks for the great work on this set-upI am very impressed to say the least.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:29 pm 

Updated-
Sent the clutch back to Hoser for a CSI as it was eating belts badly on the outer edge closet to the outer cover. Checked bolt for torque value which was good and even tryed a Marv tuff belt shredded that as well in minutes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Updated-
Sent the clutch back to Hoser for a CSI as it was eating belts badly on the outer edge closet to the outer cover. Checked bolt for torque value which was good and even tryed a Marv tuff belt shredded that as well in minutes.

Its not this clutch tearing up the belts its the "belt squeeze" that is tearing up the belts something is forcing the clutches to squeeze the shit out of the belts, if you look at the belt you sent the top of the belt is cupped up, the outside edges are curled up, this is from excessive side pressure on the belt, once the belt is curled up it exposes the cords in the belt once it exposes enough of the cord then the clutch faces grab the cord and pull it out of the belt, now the cord is out its that much easier for more of the belt facing to curl up under the pressure.

I noticed their was no wear on the top of the clutch were you ever able to run it WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and reach top speeds?

I would look at the driven clutch make sure its shifting out all the way and the spring is not bound up because of rust on the spring.

Pics later

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:26 am 

Yes hoser I ran it at top end wide open throttle several times before it started to wear the belts. I could not go over 3/4 throttle with it wearing the belts as the fibers were collecting on the trans cltch and rear brake causing binding and all kinds of troubles. Even ripped the rear brake off in fact.
Thanks for looking at it for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:31 am 

On the driven clutch Hoser I did the mods on the spring and plastic insert. Some time ago. I cannot seem to locate the thread here but I also disassembled and greased the internal pins and shaft on it as per the thread. You posted it here some time ago. I will look again at it for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:23 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
On the driven clutch Hoser I did the mods on the spring and plastic insert. Some time ago. I cannot seem to locate the thread here but I also disassembled and greased the internal pins and shaft on it as per the thread. You posted it here some time ago. I will look again at it for you.

Nothing I can see wrong with this clutch I would go through the driven clutch again before trying again then I would mark the clutch with a marker and take it out to see if its shifting out all the way if its not don't drive it until you figure out whats wrong it will just crush the life out of another belt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:47 am 

I installed a stock clutch on the pilot Hoser with the same driven and have had no issues at all. It appeared to me there was a small inner section on the outer side that was wearing on the belts when the clutch was under compression? If the driven was bad I would think the issues would not go away even with a stock clutch correct?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
I installed a stock clutch on the pilot Hoser with the same driven and have no issues at all? It appeared to me there was a small inner section on the outer side that was wearing on the belts when the clutch was under compression? If the driven was bad I would think the issues would not go away even with a stock clutch correct?

Look at the belt close with the stock clutch on see if the outside edges are curling up like in the attached picture if it is even slightly the problem is still their.

Attachments:
DSC09269.JPG [92.57 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times
DSC09270.JPG [32.22 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:53 am 

The belt is not being cut apart by a defect in the clutch faces it is being squeezed to death then falling apart.

Attachments:
DSC09274.JPG [54.14 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 am 

Clutch faces are perfect even down at the very bottom.

Attachments:
DSC09280.JPG [54.22 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times
File comment: You can see the dark ring where the cord that was falling out the belt and bunched up was rubbing.
DSC09282.JPG [44.58 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times
DSC09283.JPG [38.1 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times
DSC09286.JPG [68.11 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:58 am 

Ok. I will check it tonight and let you know what I find. Last time I looked the belt was fine but that was several rides ago. Now the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) went south in the pilot too last ride- just my luck!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:02 am 

Btw you like my homemade tool? That was before I lost my old holder!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:06 am 

The only other thing I could find is I THINK (not 100% sure) that 2 of the 3 weight blocks were installed upside down, when I was doing my inspection I found 2 in backwards, they are a snug fit if you put them in wrong they just drop right in when installed right.

My theory here is if they were in wrong they might have been binding enough to slow the clutch reaction or the back shift, the slow back shift was allowing the driven clutch to over ride the driven and this was trying to stretch the belt and that puts excessive side pressure on the belt?

I marked all the weight blocks "UP"

Review this for more details on the pucks viewtopic.php?t=464&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:09 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Btw you like my homemade tool? That was before I lost my old holder!

Yup clutch holder looks fine its a little over kill (beefy) but does the job perfectly .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:23 pm 

Hoser, checked the belt (it is a tuff belt) and it has no markings on it at all, no curving of the edges as that belt does at all. Hope this helps.

Profile E-mail