Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:59 am 

Just sold a Quadzilla jug on ebay, and look at the fees from evilBau and PayPuke:

Sell Price: $83.15
Shipping charged: $16.85
Total Transaction: $100.00

Shipping Cost (actual): $9.48
Net Shipping: +$7.37

Paypal Fee: $3.20
eBay Final Value Fee: $7.65
eBay Final Value Fee on Shipping: $1.35
Total Fees: $12.20

So first of all...I had to pay $12.20 on an item that sold for $83.15. That's 14.7%!!! :shock: :shock:

However since I chose FedEx over USPS, I saved myself (not the buyer) $7.37, which lessens the fee-damage to only $4.83 (or 5.8%). But that doesn't change the shear robbery 12-15% eBay makes off of us all. I don't inflate shipping charges, but evilBay doesn't offer FedEx, and to that I say "SCREW 'EM!".

And what the heck is "Final Value Fee on Shipping"?? They get a cut of that, too?? Or is this the "fee" that exists to give some "unfortunate individuals" their free "Obama-eBay"??? LOL! :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:15 pm 

Yeah their fees are high but what you gonna do? They have a monopoly and good luck to anybody trying to compete.Their used to be bidbay which ebay sued and put out of bizness,yahoo auctions etc.But ebay has millions of people seeing your ad that wouldn't so theres a tradeoff.The fl350 stuff I have for sale on here,I had 1 member buy something,the rest sold on ebay pretty quick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:49 pm 

Are you shittin me, Ebay now charges a fee for shipping?? CROOKS.... Lots of dipshits advertising shipping costs of $99 for a $10 actual shipping cost, If the product is worth $99, they can sell the item for 99 cents and only have to pay final value fee on the 99 cents, I thought Ebay already put a cap on shipping or something to that effect :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:51 pm 

redskinman wrote:
Yeah their fees are high but what you gonna do? They have a monopoly and good luck to anybody trying to compete.Their used to be bidbay which ebay sued and put out of bizness,yahoo auctions etc.But ebay has millions of people seeing your ad that wouldn't so theres a tradeoff.The fl350 stuff I have for sale on here,I had 1 member buy something,the rest sold on ebay pretty quick

I used to sell on Yahoo auctions and did pretty well on certain items, then Ebay statred advertising on the radio and Yahoo kinda fizzled. There was another "big" auction site but I cant remember the name.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 am 

stix wrote:
Are you shittin me, Ebay now charges a fee for shipping?? CROOKS.... Lots of dipshits advertising shipping costs of $99 for a $10 actual shipping cost, If the product is worth $99, they can sell the item for 99 cents and only have to pay final value fee on the 99 cents, I thought Ebay already put a cap on shipping or something to that effect :shock:

eBay doesn't charge a fee for shipping.. they now charge the final value fee based on the sale price + shipping. This was done to stop dishonest sellers from selling a $100 item for $.99 + $99.00 shipping and avoiding the final value fees. It can be a PITA, especially when the actual shipping cost ends up lower (so you essentially overpay a little on the eBay fees) but IMO it's still a pretty cost effective way to sell lots of kinds of things. Where else can you reach tens of millions of potential customers?

My overall eBay/Paypal costs average a little under 15%. I couldn't advertise locally for anywhere near as cheap as that, plus they make it easy to ship/track/etc and provide some level of protection against dishonest buyers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:42 am 

Craigslist is a free easy way to sell. But can take more time then ebay. Has worked pretty well for me. Have found many a deal on craigslist.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:07 am 

shoubadaba wrote:
Craigslist is a free easy way to sell. But can take more time then ebay. Has worked pretty well for me. Have found many a deal on craigslist.

Craigslist is good but you have to deal with a holes and for lack of better words tire kickers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:40 am 

B S wrote:
shoubadaba wrote:

Craigslist is good but you have to deal with a holes and for lack of better words tire kickers

Yup sold the tires off my bus using craigslist had to weed through about 30 people that cant read, learned my lesson never list something as FIRM always list it for higher so you can drop your price nobody wants to buy anything for a firm price no matter how good of a deal you list it for seems they all want to haggle.

I thought I was going to save time by listing it for my absolute bottom dollar I would take then explaining this in my ad, I spent more time trying to explain it to them than if I haggled price.

Also got about 5 emails people wanting to buy for asking price but they were out of the country and had to use a "service" to purchase bla bla bla send me your info will transfer funds by western union bla bla bla they are fishing for your personal info wish I had a ex wife that I could use the info to send them haha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:26 pm 

Do you want my x wife's info? LMAO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:39 pm 

hoser wrote:
B S wrote:
shoubadaba wrote:

Yup sold the tires off my bus using craigslist had to weed through about 30 people that cant read, learned my lesson never list something as FIRM always list it for higher so you can drop your price nobody wants to buy anything for a firm price no matter how good of a deal you list it for seems they all want to haggle.

I thought I was going to save time by listing it for my absolute bottom dollar I would take then explaining this in my ad, I spent more time trying to explain it to them than if I haggled price.

Also got about 5 emails people wanting to buy for asking price but they were out of the country and had to use a "service" to purchase bla bla bla send me your info will transfer funds by western union bla bla bla they are fishing for your personal info wish I had a ex wife that I could use the info to send them haha

Always over shoot what your asking for they will always want it for cheaper
Then some times they pay you the full amount and don't haggle :-)
Had it happen twice now
Just sold our shop welder listed it for $1300 every one wanted to get it for $1k told a lot of them $1200
And it's yours but had one guy that drove 2 1/2 hrs and paid me the full $1300 after he tested it :-)

As for the spam e-mails I always turn it off on the add

Profile E-mail