Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:04 pm 

Knuckelhead is selling this on ebay for US $284.95 plus US $11.26 shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/Billet-Intake-V-For ... |294%3A200

I am in no way endorsing the V force reeds so don't get me wrong here, I think they are a over priced POS, I have read in too many places Engine builders and developers saying they make more power than other reed cages but only for 20-40 minutes then the petals lose their tension and the power drops back to what you find using other reed cages, this info comes from guys that develop race packages and don't sell reed cages.

I never tried a V force cage simply because I never seen a V force equip Pilot or Odyssey come close to matching the performance of my modified OEM reed cage, now if I had been passed by a few Pilots or Odysseys that were using them I might have enough interest to buy and try one.

don't get me wrong if you want one buy one, this post is to inform guys that want a V force cage their is a alternative to what Aftermutt is pushing on evilbay.

You can get the Honda intake manifold that is straight and fits the larger carbs nicly, its the 79 Honda CR250 manifold part number 16221-430-000 current price at service honda is $57.43
More info http://pilotodyssey.com/BTmanifold.htm

I went to the Vforce site looking for the version 3 cage part number and only found the application for the TRX250R I can only ASSume aftermutt is using that application for the Pilot and Odyssey, I strongly suggest you call them and ask if that cage is right for the Pilot or Odyssey, about a year after the first Vfroce came out I got a email from them stating that we (Pilot Odyssey group) was using the wrong cage that's why we were seeing problems, they had seen this page on my website. http://pilotodyssey.com/Vforce.htm

Their site
http://www.mototassinari.com/index.php? ... Itemid=108

I did a search on ebay and found cages low as $125.00 FREE shipping
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... orce+3+TRX

So 125 + 58 = 183 bux VS the 297 bux for aftermutts or $114 bux MORE, I don't have shipping cost on the manifold sorry, their are other issues with using his manifold, I havent seen any of his newer manifolds but the earlier ones didnt match the Vforce cage you had to modify it to get it even close, with his manifold you also are mounting your carb more ridged to the Engine, the 79 Honda CR250 manifold is softer and way more flexible than the Aftermutt/Liewire setup so their is less chance of vibration upsetting the carb float and making the fuel foam in the float bowl.

Again I took the time to type this all out as a informational post to help out guys that are unaware their is a alternative to what the mutt has to offer...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:14 pm 

Seen this before?

Rocky
Rocky manifold
Rocky cycle

Attachments:
P1010289.jpg
P1010289.jpg [ 62.71 KiB | Viewed 3135 times ]
P1010291.jpg
P1010291.jpg [ 51.66 KiB | Viewed 3135 times ]
P1010293.jpg
P1010293.jpg [ 56.69 KiB | Viewed 3135 times ]
P1010294.jpg
P1010294.jpg [ 56.74 KiB | Viewed 3135 times ]
P1010295.jpg
P1010295.jpg [ 64.04 KiB | Viewed 3135 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:30 pm 

lutrev wrote:
So you run the CR250 intake boot with stock reeds and cage? I don't know what the stocker looks like as mine has a V-force 2 reed cage. And I have looked around and they seem to be discontinued on bikebandits site. don't know when it was changed from stock, but the intake rubber is cracked and looks older than anything on the machine. Can you still get stock reed cages?

reed cages are readily available-most have them here laying around-the reeds I use are Boyesen in my stock cages and they perform great-as good as the V-FORCE reeds and cost much much less.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:48 pm 

lutrev wrote:
So you run the CR250 intake boot with stock reeds and cage? I don't know what the stocker looks like as mine has a V-force 2 reed cage. And I have looked around and they seem to be discontinued on bikebandits site. don't know when it was changed from stock, but the intake rubber is cracked and looks older than anything on the machine. Can you still get stock reed cages?

Yes you can but what carb are you currently running?

The stock intake manifold is still shown available on the service Honda site
16210-VM0-000 INSULATOR, CARB $26.91
if your still using the stock carb and reed cage I would use the stock manifold also.

You need a stock reed cage ? I can probably fix you up with one you will need to buy new boyseen reeds...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:03 pm 

lutrev wrote:
I put a 38mm carb in, and the machine came with V-Force-2 reed cage and an aluminum Intake, don't know where previous owner got these from however.

Any pics?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:41 pm 

lutrev wrote:
Blackberry shots, machine is running fine, but will need to replace boot soon, and may as well upgrade reedcage at the same time.

Looks like a aftermutt billet manifold like seen in the ebay link above, once you remove it you can tell better, I would be interested to see how well it matches the reed cage..

If you just replace the rubber buy only something name brand like Mikuni or the rubber will fail soon again, I think the last rubber manifolds I bought like that I got right from the skidoo dealer, before you pay for them ask for proof they are genuine Mikuni their are a ton of knockoffs out their.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:22 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
lutrev wrote:

reed cages are readily available-most have them here laying around-the reeds I use are Boyesen in my stock cages and they perform great-as good as the V-FORCE reeds and cost much much less.

you have Boyesen part #

I think it may be #607 for the power reeds

http://boyesen.com/power-reeds-78.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boyesen-Power-Reeds-Honda-Pilot-400-FL400-FL350-Odyssey-/330391307482?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cecdb44da

thanks Speed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:07 am 

I have the V Force 3 setup on all of my machines and I also use that rocky aluminum intake put I port matched the setup to the perfect profile. Randy at Odyssey salavage has those rubber Mukuni boots for the larger carbs on that aluminum intake for about $15. They have all performed very well for me. I also run the V force 3 in all of my race bikes and even my race Yamaha GP1200R big bore ski. Works for me :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:51 pm 

1frc wrote:
I have the V Force 3 setup on all of my machines and I also use that rocky aluminum intake put I port matched the setup to the perfect profile. Randy at Odyssey salavage has those rubber Mukuni boots for the larger carbs on that aluminum intake for about $15. They have all performed very well for me. I also run the V force 3 in all of my race bikes and even my race Yamaha GP1200R big bore ski. Works for me :-)

How many miles you putting on these?

The problems I have seen over the years is the reed petals are short lived on ALL the versions they have made or make then they want 60 bux for replacement reeds, 99.99% of all the power gains I have read about and been told about are just seat of the pants verbal emotional gains the only solid gains I have seen from respected Engine builders done on dynos fade away after a little as 20 minutes of run time on the dyno the reed petals loose their tension or "set" then any gains over other cages like OEM or those using fiberglass are lost, once you see the power fade then you replace the reed petals the gains comes right back, they also say if the Engine ever coughs or backfires you need to at very least remove the reed petals from the reed cage for inspection or replacement because they are damaged easily, further conversation with some of these race guys tuning their engines using private dynos that are sponsored by the carbon fiber reed mfg's hinted just because you see the sponsor stickers don't mean they are using their products (reed petals) in the Engine during racing.

Talk to a Seadoo or Skidoo parts guy or mechanic ask them about their carbon fiber reed petals and Vfarce cage experiences, never ending supply of excuses are offered and given, one key question to ask is "how many replacements did you sell before the carbon fiber came out" all I got was the deer in the headlights or 'how dare you ask a question like that' look every time.

I have seen and lived a lot of the history of reed petals and reed cages on Pilots and Odysseys and have yet ever to be passed by one that was equipped with a aftermarket one meaning I never seen enough gains to prompt me to spend any money on buying one, if their is a advantage it surly is not making it to the real world where I play.

that being said I seen the other day on the web where they were selling brand new Vfarce 3 reed cages for about 60 bux at that price I might be tempted to test one.

Sux we cant buy the 1990 stock Pilot cage and reed petals any more even the stock single stage petals out perform the boyseen replacement reeds unless you modify the stock cage for the boyseen petals.

One thing for sure is sometimes psychologically one is better off to spend the money and get the gains he thinks he is paying for, a piece of mind goes a long way for many.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:24 am 

I can see where some people may believe that or their experience may lead that direction. I on the other hand have swapped out different versions of reed cages modified and aftermarket on multiple race bikes/Jet ski's/Pilots/Odyssey that I own and operate and can see and feel the difference in throttle response, power band characteristics, and tuning. Naturally they must be combined with the appropriate supporting mods to be bennificial. I have had good luck with some pilot cages with fiberglass reeds and stuffers, as well as the Boyson rad valve which is still on one of my machines. Based on my logic and possibly lack of logic :-) I run mainly V force on my vehicles since I have had several opportunities to swap in and out with several different combinations until I reached the setup which works best for my applications. I have not seen anything that would disprove that these reeds are working as designed and I have been very satisfied with the performance delivery of each setup. I do agree that you must take extra steps and plan on more maintenance inspections when utilizing any aftermarket reed/cage combination. It all depends on the owner's preference and or availability of spare time or the love of the machine :-)

The V Force 2's are still out there though not as plentiful being that the redesigned thewre cage and reed platform with the V force 3. I do believe that I still have a few of the V force 2 setup's. The V force 2 does tend to fade at a faster rate then most others and have been known in some case to fail or cause odd issues with reed life span. Depending on use I replaced the V force 2 reeds once a year/season and on some vehicles every other year/season. Realy just depends on what your running them in and how you maintenance your machine. I think I was getting the replacement reeds at about $42-$45. They are quite expensive for sure.

As far as miles I have placed on these different reed/reed cage setups -- Hard to factor depending on machine, for instance one of the race bikes is intended for enduro/harsh extreme single track, and I would log approx 65-75 miles per day which would easily talley to 325-420 miles per month and I ride about 10 months out of the year :-) Way to many machines to try to keep up with merely miles alone. Everyone will have there preference and or experience which drives there purchases. I can tell you that I have never been passed or beat by another eqivalent machine with a stock reed cage and or modified OEM setup, but that would not do a bit of good in making an accurate performance comparison.

I have had the V force 3 last upwards of 2-2.5 years in some cases depending on what I am ridiing and how much I am pushing the vehicle. Some of my big bore GPR tripple cylinders run on the reeds for upwards of 100-175Hr if not more based on there intake design. I also have custome built intakes to correct factory flaws and increase the efficiency of the air intake velocity with these reeds.

With all my jibber jabber completed---- God Bless us all Tiny Tim! :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:47 pm 

what da ya think of this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-FL350-Honda-F ... bb&vxp=mtr