Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:01 am 

Trying to make one page with links to info on K&N filters.

Follow the links below to get more details on the K&N filters don't just look at the pictures and draw a conclusion EVERYBODY wants to blame the user not the design or the MFG..

K&N Take A Close Look viewtopic.php?t=5485

K&N Take The Test Yourself Using Your Own Filters viewtopic.php?p=45868

K&N That Was Used On A FL250 As A Pod Filter viewtopic.php?p=45869

K&N I read this in Dirt Wheels magazine viewtopic.php?p=45870

K&N Mudbogger's CO Pilot Came With A K&N viewtopic.php?p=45871

Harescrambles K&N filter. viewtopic.php?p=45872

K&N and the Redline http://www.redlineutvforums.net/Engine/ ... r-now.html

Another testemonial from a RZR owner. Read the whole thread http://www.rzrforums.net/general-rzr-di ... post382010

In the picture below here is one of my prefilters it was NEW taken out of the box installed on my Honda Pilot, run at the dunes for 4 days, washed with K&N cleaner per their instructions, rinsed from the inside out only, it was washed 3 times, then allowed to dry then tapped down on a hard surface, see all the sand INSIDE the circle that's because sand was sucked right through the filter, sand was also found past the filter where it was installed, the same results is found when using a stocking, keep in mind I am trying to stop the dirt small enough to get past the prechargers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:01 am 

Some people have good luck with the K&N filters some people don't, personally I don't like their protection factor also their is too much room for error I have seen way too many of them that failed miserably to protect I love them for PRE-filters and I use them to filter out the brunt of the bad stuff I am trying to keep out of my engines but rely on a UNI filter oiled with Maxima FFT (Foam Filter Treatment) I don't use UNI oil I had a bad experience with UNI oil about 10 years ago and switched to the Maxima filter treatment and use it ever since.

What I have discovered by using the K&N

The K&N oil is not that great, its not very tacky, it does not cling to the filter well, the tacky you can feel for yourself it feels like Engine oil

The K&N oil does not cling to the filter well the cling is easy enough for you to figure out just oil your filter as normal then install in your Pilots air box and let the Pilot set outside in the sun on a 90 degree day, then pull the air box lid and filter and look at how much oil dripped out of the filter because it was affected by the heat, another thing I noticed is before a ride trip I oiled my clean prefilters and installed on my Pilot, loaded the Pilot on the trailer and off I went by time I got to my destination most the oil was GONE, the fitlers exposed to the wind for the 5 hr trip had blown the oil out of the filters, I had to reoil them before unloading to ride, lesson learned now I tape a plastic bag over the filter to protect it from the AIR FLOW

I have seen many applications where people use a clamp on K&N and when you remove the filter you see the tell tale red filter oil stuck to the inlet bell of the carb.

Starting to get the picture on the filter oil, I am sure others has seen this also.

The K&N no matter how well you oil it with the K&N oil passes way too much dirt.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:35 am 

Hunterworks thoughts on filters
http://www.ridesidebyside.com/forums/sh ... php?t=4669

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:51 pm 

K&N filter on TurboTexas project 400EX

Post is here viewtopic.php?t=5779&highlight=

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:22 pm 

more pics...

Attachments:
k&n crapcarb 002.jpg
k&n crapcarb 002.jpg [ 317.55 KiB | Viewed 15676 times ]
File comment: this is what I rubbed out of the boot... I am hopeful the fact that the rubber carb boot flows up hill and this crap didn't get to my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))???
k&n crapcarb 003.jpg
k&n crapcarb 003.jpg [ 295.78 KiB | Viewed 15673 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:31 am 

Seen this on a web page and just had to do a screen capture lol

More air means more power. and MORE DIRT, the answer is simple don't add a filter that flows more dirt because it contains less filter media simply install a filter WITH MORE SURFACE AREA for more flow!

Attachments:
ANYTHING TO MAKE A BUCK.jpg
ANYTHING TO MAKE A BUCK.jpg [ 91.32 KiB | Viewed 14402 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:33 pm 

Ever since Hoser's posting on my CO Pilot, I have switched all filters to Uni or stock, I only use the K&N FILTERS for prefilters on the Pilots, the Uni filters give me great filtering and there no passing of materials into the intakes ever.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:37 am 

I run a UNI Filter in my Pilot , I had to get them to make a one off for me as they don't stock them here in Australia,even though they are a Aussie company :-) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:26 am 

lc4 wrote:
I run a UNI Filter in my Pilot , I had to get them to make a one off for me as they don't stock them here in Australia,even though they are a Aussie company :-) .

Any pics of your custom filter setup maybe we need them here?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:02 am 

hoser wrote:
lc4 wrote:

The filter is identical to the original, I faxed the measurements to UNI Filter and they made it to order. Uni filter sell a standard filter in the US (NU-4114ST) but because the Pilot was not brought into Australia they don't keep it here.
They are a great company to deal with,nothing was a problem and the cost was very reasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:15 am 

lc4 wrote:
hoser wrote:
lc4 wrote:

The filter is identical to the original, I faxed the measurements to UNI Filter and they made it to order. Uni filter sell a standard filter in the US (NU-4114ST) but because the Pilot was not brought into Australia they don't keep it here.
They are a great company to deal with,nothing was a problem and the cost was very reasonable.

Oh ok I have at least 3 of them here already :-) They are a great filter, what oil are you using on them?

-::

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:35 am 

hoser wrote:
lc4 wrote:
hoser wrote:
lc4 wrote:

Oh ok I have at least 3 of them here already :-) They are a great filter, what oil are you using on them?

-::

What ever bike filter oil I have at the time :-) at the moment Motul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 pm 

Here is a cleaning tip for you wrap your filter in paper towels for a few days before you wash them the paper towel will suck out most the K&N oil making cleaning much easier.

The filter in the pics is the filter I found while riding at Buttercup it looks like it might have same off a VW Engine?
I have found 4-5 K&N filters while riding over the years you would think guys would support the other end not just clamp them on and GO.

Attachments:
DSC06645.JPG
DSC06645.JPG [ 57.66 KiB | Viewed 15740 times ]
DSC06648.JPG
DSC06648.JPG [ 70.32 KiB | Viewed 15740 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:25 am 

Just got a new K&N filter by UPS that Mudbogger had sent to me for his LT Pilot project its going to be used as a prefilter for his air box viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9256

Anyways I noticed they put a little card in the box with the filter your suppose to carry with you PLEASE read this card carefully they are spelling out to you everything I have been saying for YEARS now is your chance to hear it from the inventor, engineers, designers sellers of this product no longer do you have to live in denial.

Attachments:
K&N war.jpg
K&N war.jpg [ 62.53 KiB | Viewed 15148 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:26 am 

Here is the back side of the card not sure if you can tell but its in smaller print than whats on the front side your typical "fine print" that most are too stupid to read and more importantly UNDERSTAND!

Attachments:
K3.jpg
K3.jpg [ 67.97 KiB | Viewed 15148 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:55 am 

After reading the card did you see and understand the part about NOT having a warranty when used off road?

I highlighted some of the things in RED you need to read more than once then think about.

MILLION MILE LIMITED WARRANTY
K&N O/E Replacement Air Filters and Air Intake Systems purchased from Authorized Dealers are backed by a Million Mile Limited Warranty when used primarily on paved roads and on vehicles for which they were designed. If one of these products ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, K&N will replace it.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY OUR WARRANTY
Any K&N product used for 1: any type of racing or competition; 2: any off-road use, custom or modified applications; 3: any off-road or dual sport motorcycle/ ATV use; or 4: any illegal highway use, marine, or industrial applications. All K&N Air Filters not covered by our million mile warranty are warranted against defective materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase with no mileage limitation. This includes K&N Air Filters sold for ATV's and off-highway or dual-purpose motorcycles.

INCORRECT CLEANING OR USE VOIDS WARRANTY
K&N Air Filters should be cleaned every 50,000 miles for normal highway use, more often in dusty conditions. Cleaning should be done with K&N cleaner and air filter oil (or comparable air filter cleaner and oil). Use of compressed air, or chemicals not specifically designed to clean and re-oil cotton air filters (i.e. gasoline, transmission fluid, motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) oil, lightweight oil, or diesel fuel) will void the warranty. Any damaged, abused or modified K&N Air Filters will not be warranted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:06 pm 

Why did K&N test and why are they defending filter oil on MAS air flow sensors?

How much more proof do you need that the filter oil does not stay on the filter like its suppose to, I have been saying this for years, the filter oil is found on the bottom of your air boxes and inside your intake tract.
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massairfindings.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm

Attachments:
K&N Mass Air Flow Testing Findings.pdf [46.07 KiB]
Downloaded 342 times
K&N Mass Air Flow Sensor Test Results.pdf [219.04 KiB]
Downloaded 575 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:02 pm 

Another example of the K&N filter found here

Scroll down its included in the Engine CSI the thread is not just about the filter.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10347

The application and beautiful machine it was installed on is here, great build story too.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9670&start=25

Preview

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:05 am 

my K&N after 45min-1hr use
cleaned and oiled like K&N recommends

inside the intake boot between the filter and the carb

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:48 pm 

B S wrote:

Guy selling that open element filter kit thing is creating a bunch of victims I wonder if he has a clue what his profiteering is doing to engines, that filter setup might look appealing but its a POS a show item at best.

Insult to injury is when anything passes that filter its sucked and shaken right into the Engine by the funnel he created, even the Honda stock airbox has this flaw built into the deign, Honda corrected this design flaw on the Pilot air box by mounting the filter horizontally, this helps reduce the amount of dirt or WATER that can fall directly into the Engine by gravity, of course running a prefilter setups reduces the ability for contaminates to reach the inside of the air box by about 99% :-) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8929&p=79765#p79765

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 pm 

hoser wrote:
B S wrote:

Guy selling that open element filter kit thing is creating a bunch of victims I wonder if he has a clue what his profiteering is doing to engines, that filter setup might look appealing but its a POS a show item at best.

And that's why I bought an air box

He needs to make a new one that will take a foam filter with an dust cover on it

Attachments:
IMAG2183.jpg
IMAG2183.jpg [ 50.03 KiB | Viewed 12740 times ]
IMAG2181.jpg
IMAG2181.jpg [ 41.19 KiB | Viewed 12740 times ]
IMAG2182.jpg
IMAG2182.jpg [ 20.58 KiB | Viewed 12740 times ]
 Profile E-mail