Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:45 pm 

rarerat wrote:
lol.. Thank you, but no skill involved, with a little practice anyone can do this crap.

Yeah right. I bet you do this for a living :-) .
And it takes time to acquire the skills to do this stuff. You don't learn it in a few weeks.
Like I have said before: The older we get the more we are worth. Here's the proof in this thread.

Very very nice sir.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:52 pm 

Thank you guys.

I shot the dash in a semi gloss yesterday and the jams & under the trunk today. I ended up with a little dust in it that I should be able cut & buff out, but I guess either way it's good enough for this turd. lol.. I'm hoping to shoot the insides of the fenders, the sides of the hood & under the spoiler tomorrow if the weather will hold out for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 pm 

NICE NICE NICE It goes on and on.. you are amazing my friend. VERY well done. The discipline it takes to accomplish something like this a mountain climb that not many are up to. Yet you make it look easy, you really do man.

Couple elementary questions...

I even have a large set of them but have never fully understood.. why use clecos? Each time I have brought them out I end up just tack welding or pop riveting to hold something in place. If my rivet head is in the way later, I sand it off. I haven't found the clecos all that easy to use and I am certain I am doing it wrong most likely.

Do you ever use POR15 for anything? I find that stuff durable but man what a mess if your not careful with it. Ha

The black you just sprayed... Is that all a single-stage semi-gloss/matte? Particular brand? Do you use the same for under body as you do for jambs and trunk? The little bit of overspray you have on the body surface from the black application.. will it need to be DA'ed off or sanded at all or just tape a line and spray the exterior body right over that?

Man thank you for answering all my stupid questions. The internet is full of places you can go to get answers from people who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. To find a dude like yourself, willing to share, is priceless. Thanks again!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 am 

John l wrote:
NICE NICE NICE It goes on and on.. you are amazing my friend. VERY well done. The discipline it takes to accomplish something like this a mountain climb that not many are up to. Yet you make it look easy, you really do man.

Couple elementary questions...

I even have a large set of them but have never fully understood.. why use clecos? Each time I have brought them out I end up just tack welding or pop riveting to hold something in place. If my rivet head is in the way later, I sand it off. I haven't found the clecos all that easy to use and I am certain I am doing it wrong most likely.

Do you ever use POR15 for anything? I find that stuff durable but man what a mess if your not careful with it. Ha

The black you just sprayed... Is that all a single-stage semi-gloss/matte? Particular brand? Do you use the same for under body as you do for jambs and trunk? The little bit of overspray you have on the body surface from the black application.. will it need to be DA'ed off or sanded at all or just tape a line and spray the exterior body right over that?

Man thank you for answering all my stupid questions. The internet is full of places you can go to get answers from people who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. To find a dude like yourself, willing to share, is priceless. Thanks again!!

Thank you for the kind words.

I like the clecos to preassemble because they are fast & you can take them in & out a bunch of times while trial fitting. I use both 1/8 & 3/16 depending on where I need to use them. I drill the hole and then hit both surfaces real quick with a rolo lock (sp) to remove anything uneven, then it will give you a nice tight fit.

I have only used POR 15 twice . I did a 65 Mustang for a guy and he brought it to me & wanted me to use it so I tried up under the cowl. At the time it seemed like it was fine. The second time was in the gas tank of the the 350 Odyssey I built for my daughter. I found a video on youtube from a member from here, I cant remember his name but he showed how to remove rust from in the tank, anyway I followed his instructions and it seemed like it worked great. I did use a little on the outside but it didn't hold up & started flaking off. It could have been the way I prepped it or ??? Personally I prefer a good epoxy primer over anything else.

The semi gloss Black I used on the dash & below the rear window is just a single stage urethane. I bought a couple of gallons of this stuff years ago on ebay and have been using it on floors, firewalls, subframes etc... I like the sheen and it seems to be very durable.

The Black I sprayed in the jams is the same base coat clear coat I will use on the out side of the car. I don't have a picture handy but I am using Crossfire base brand coat clear coat with their 5020 clear. It's not the best on the market by any means, just mid grade products but I have had pretty good luck with them for several years now.

That little bit of over spray will get sanded off when I wet sand the car for the last time before paint. I have tried it several different ways when painting assembled cars over the years and this just seems to work the best for me. What I do is, when the car is finally straight I will prime the whole car one more time, then I can sand just sand the jams and shoot them. I don't like to mask the outside of the car because I don't want to end up with a hard line anywhere on or near the outside of the car, because it is too hard to get rid of it. By shooting the jams the way I have been doing it, I have found the over spray will act like a guide coat & I can just remove it when I wet sand the car for final paint & I don't have too worry about a line showing up in the finished paint, if that makes any sense. lol.. When I paint the out side of the car I will just mask off the jams and pick an area inside the jam for my tape line.

I am always the first to admit I suck at this stuff and probably the last person anyone should take advice from on this stuff. lol..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:55 pm 

I finally got this POS in color. I sprayed the Black base and the stripe yesterday and went out this morning and shot 3 coats of clear on it trying to beat the wind.

Wet sanded the whole car in 600..

3 coats of Tuxedo Black base..

Laid out the D90 stripe with 1/8 Fine Line tape and sprayed 3 coats of Ash Gold base..

Here is the D90 with paper off..

and here it is with 3 coats of 5020 clear..

I guess that's it for now but I hope to get started on the sand & buff next week sometime. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 pm 

very nice, love the old Camaro. one of my all time favorites is '69 Z28 :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 pm 

Kuma wrote:
very nice, love the old Camaro. one of my all time favorites is '69 Z28 :-)

Thank you sir, me too on the 69 Z/28's. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:49 am 

Very nice, you certainly changed that turds life.
Please keep the updates coming, it is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 am 

Car is looking sick, Black was the right choice in my opinion!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 am 

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:38 pm 

Hey AWESOME!!! And even the gold is fine-lined out and sprayed. You MUST enjoy the work man, I know you have many hours in this. Hats off to you!

Thank you again for the informative response too! That all makes great sense. And I don't care if your methods fit ANYONE else's definition of correct... your results speak volumes! So I am all ears.

I see the little bit of water on the shop floor in a couple of your pics... Are you wetting the floor to contain dust or is that from wet sanding prior to base?

Stupid question number 50... I realize it takes a moron to screw up base coat. But I am that guy. Is there ever a reason to lightly sand base coat (wet or otherwise)?

Random statement... I recently sprayed some ebay charcoal metallic BC/CC on one of my Jeeps. I never really figured what went wrong, and it was just a Jeep that I intend to beat on in the PA mountains, so I pushed on with the Clear. But my base coat had areas where the metallic effect kind of "striped".. the color was consistent, but the metallic particles were more visible in these band/striped areas.

Thanks!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:30 pm 

John l wrote:
Hey AWESOME!!! And even the gold is fine-lined out and sprayed. You MUST enjoy the work man, I know you have many hours in this. Hats off to you!

Thank you again for the informative response too! That all makes great sense. And I don't care if your methods fit ANYONE else's definition of correct... your results speak volumes! So I am all ears.

I see the little bit of water on the shop floor in a couple of your pics... Are you wetting the floor to contain dust or is that from wet sanding prior to base?

Stupid question number 50... I realize it takes a moron to screw up base coat. But I am that guy. Is there ever a reason to lightly sand base coat (wet or otherwise)?

Random statement... I recently sprayed some ebay charcoal metallic BC/CC on one of my Jeeps. I never really figured what went wrong, and it was just a Jeep that I intend to beat on in the PA mountains, so I pushed on with the Clear. But my base coat had areas where the metallic effect kind of "striped".. the color was consistent, but the metallic particles were more visible in these band/striped areas.

Thanks!!!

Thank you I have always enjoyed goofing around these old cars.

Yes I wet the floor prior to spraying to try & help control the dust. You would be surprised just how much crap dragging the air hose around the car can stir up.

I will sometimes sand the base in areas prior to clear to remove any little trash in it.You can get away with this on non metallic colors only. If you need to sand a metallic color you will need to shoot some more base on it or it wont look right.

What I do on metallic colors is shoot 3 good coats of base with a 50% overlap and then a do a 4th drop coat. I shoot the first 3 coats like any other, but on the drop coat, I hold the gun back a bit more, open up the spray pattern a bit and just dust it on. What this does is make all the metallic lay consistent & uniform. If you are striping panels, you might have your pattern on the gun set too tight or maybe not consistent with your overlap?? Also when shooting panels especially metallic colors if the body parts are off you need to spray them standing in the same way they will go on the car or you can get a variance in the way the metallic lays. Also with metallic & lighter colors, the more coats can darken the color so you want to be consistent on the whole car.

Thanks again & I hope this helps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:51 pm 

Excellent man. Thank you. Yep, My worst looking pieces were the doors that I had removed and laid flat. Next to the vertically sprayed body sections, you see stripes in the door faces. I was also playing with an unfamiliar gun this time around too, so that didn't help anything. You da master.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:01 pm 

Here are a couple of pics out in the sun..

Color sanded the car with 1500 wet and starting to buff. Still have a ways to go but hopefully it will look ok when I'm finished.

I've been sick the last few days so that's as far as I've gotten. I ordered another 1000.00 worth of parts that should start trickling in so hopefully I can stay busy on it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 pm 

Could be just my old eyes but is that a 69' Ford Falcon under that cover, behind the orange cherry picker ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:21 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Could be just my old eyes but is that a 69' Ford Falcon under that cover, behind the orange cherry picker ??

Pretty close, its a 66 Ford Mustang GT..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:38 pm 

Arrg! It looks like I've lost all my pictures again & another free picture hosting site is gone. :(

Oh well I don't want use up all Hoser's space with non Pilot crap but here are a couple of recent pics. The car is almost finished I just need to finish up the interior and then re spray the upper valance since idiot guy here managed to drop it when I pulled the front clip back off to install the Engine & trans. Should hopefully be driving it in another week or two.. I want to put about a 1000 miles on it, then it will put up for sale so I can build the next one.

Anyway here are a couple recent pics...

Attachments:
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG [ 61.99 KiB | Viewed 1073 times ]
IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1260.JPG [ 70.94 KiB | Viewed 1073 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:37 pm 

How much?

I have unlimited space for pictures post away stop aggravating yourself with those hosting services.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:16 pm 

Thank you Hoser, will do.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:28 am 

Gorgeous Sir, Awesome Job!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:51 am 

scpilot66 wrote:
Gorgeous Sir, Awesome Job!!!

Thank you sir.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:26 am 

As always, looks spectacular. Are you happy with the outcome?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm 

go oddy wrote:

Thank you sir, I am for the most part. As with everything I do, I see every flaw and always wish I had done better. I kind of consider myself a jack of all trades, but unfortunately a master of none. lol.. I do believe who ever ends up with it, will be very happy with the car, it turned out nice & straight and there's nothing quite like a car in Black that's been cut & buffed. I was a little worried about the Ash Gold stripe at first but the more I see it the more I like it.

I have all the interior finished now except the seats. I'm going to try & get the the upper valance re painted tomorrow or the next day and get started on the seats since the new seat buns finally showed up friday. I really want to be driving the car by the end of the week. :-)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:16 pm 

rarerat wrote:
go oddy wrote:

Thank you sir, I am for the most part. As with everything I do, I see every flaw and always wish I had done better.

Well if there is a flaw in this job then I sure as hell don't see it. Spectacular -- that includes the color choices.
Like most of us, we always think the other guy is better -- pure bullshyte, seen it all my life. The proof is in the pictures above.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:34 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
rarerat wrote:
go oddy wrote:

Thank you sir, I am for the most part. As with everything I do, I see every flaw and always wish I had done better.

Well if there is a flaw in this job then I sure as hell don't see it. Spectacular -- that includes the color choices.
Like most of us, we always think the other guy is better -- pure bullshyte, seen it all my life. The proof is in the pictures above.

Thank you for the kind words sir

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next