Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:28 pm 

I want to give a big thank you to Hoser for all the great how to info with pictures to teach us dummies how to do things. I have pulled the axles on a few pilots with no problems I just stuck a screw driver between the cup and put a little pressure against the nut that holds the rotor mount on & they pop right out. well this Pilot is another story, I tried that and no dice.. I didnt want to go all "cave man" on it so I knew I needed to get a puller. Problem is I broke my big slide hammer about 15 years ago instead of fixing it it went into the trash. I have a smaller one but there is no way that little thing would work so on to "plan B". :-) I had some tubing here, so I welded 2 pieces of 1/8 thick plate to the end and then another short piece of tubing to the end for a handle. I used a damaged 327 dampener for the lide weight. Ok that was the easy part. lol..

Next was the not so easy part of stealing hosers design on the part that attaches to the stub. I cut a 2 1/2 wide piece of 1/8 steel plate 12" long. Ok that was easy but bending it in a perfect 3" circle took a little more effort. :-) I finally ended up using my daughters basket ball hoop pole and working the metal around it to get the shape. Then bent the ends to take two 3/8 bolts to clamp it tight. About that time I realized I forgot the add the bead of weld so it fit into the groove for the boot clamp. DoH!! so I ran a bead in it and of course got it crooked and had to grind most of it out. :-(

Next just welded two 1 inch wide pieces of 1/8 plate to it and drilled a 3/8 hole in the other ends so I could hook it to my new "snap on" slide hammer and I was ready to either remove the stub or my fingers with this new fancy tool. :-) I am happy to say the stubborn stub came out before my fingers got smashed.. :-)

So again Thank you once again Hoser for all your help with everything Pilot. -::

Attachments:
100_2825.JPG
100_2825.JPG [ 43.33 KiB | Viewed 1113 times ]
100_2826.JPG
100_2826.JPG [ 33.87 KiB | Viewed 1113 times ]
100_2827.JPG
100_2827.JPG [ 40.18 KiB | Viewed 1113 times ]
100_2828.JPG
100_2828.JPG [ 36.41 KiB | Viewed 1113 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:33 pm 

rarerat wrote:
I want to give a big thank you to Hoser for all the great how to info with pictures to teach us dummies how to do things. I have pulled the axles on a few pilots with no problems I just stuck a screw driver between the cup and put a little pressure against the nut that holds the rotor mount on & they pop right out. well this Pilot is another story, I tried that and no dice.. I didnt want to go all "cave man" on it so I knew I needed to get a puller. Problem is I broke my big slide hammer about 15 years ago instead of fixing it it went into the trash. I have a smaller one but there is no way that little thing would work so on to "plan B". :-) I had some tubing here, so I welded 2 pieces of 1/8 thick plate to the end and then another short piece of tubing to the end for a handle. I used a damaged 327 dampener for the lide weight. Ok that was the easy part. lol..

Next was the not so easy part of stealing hosers design on the part that attaches to the stub. I cut a 2 1/2 wide piece of 1/8 steel plate 12" long. Ok that was easy but bending it in a perfect 3" circle took a little more effort. :-) I finally ended up using my daughters basket ball hoop pole and working the metal around it to get the shape. Then bent the ends to take two 3/8 bolts to clamp it tight. About that time I realized I forgot the add the bead of weld so it fit into the groove for the boot clamp. DoH!! so I ran a bead in it and of course got it crooked and had to grind most of it out. :-(

Next just welded two 1 inch wide pieces of 1/8 plate to it and drilled a 3/8 hole in the other ends so I could hook it to my new "snap on" slide hammer and I was ready to either remove the stub or my fingers with this new fancy tool. :-) I am happy to say the stubborn stub came out before my fingers got smashed.. :-)

So again Thank you once again Hoser for all your help with everything Pilot. -::

Good stuff!
Your home made puller looks like something straight out of mad max:()

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:36 pm 

lol... Pretty d@mn close. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:09 pm 

Looks good, my design is nothing special its something I threw together with scrap laying around the shop that just happen to work out so far its doing ok and has had a good track record, from the sounds of it Mr2angry says its probably about ready for a V2, its completely made out of cheap steel and I think has seen enough hammer time its showing its age he said something about egged holes or something :-) The slide hammer part of my puller is a bought item and part of another seal bearing puller set.

Never thought about using a harmonic balancer I probably have a few of them laying around some place I also like the tubing for the slide part mine is solid steel and its kinda heavy to handle and ship to others, not sure if the solid shaft is just dead weight or actually helps when the slide part comes to a stop then that mass is included in the "hit" also?

You just doing seals in your trans?

How much rain did you get at your place seen on the news downtown got like 9" and you had some mud slides in your area?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:28 pm 

Thank you, lol.. the balancer was the only thing I could think of at the time that was handy. :-)

No. It's a long ugly story, but the short version is.. I bought parts machine thinking I was going to use the "Fresh Engine" in mine, but the Engine needs the top end done as the cylinder was all marked up when I pulled the exhaust and looked in the port. Once I get a chance to pull the top end off I will post some pics to see what you think I should do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:37 am 

Well done Rattus,so you have your own MC(muscle car)Hammer now huh?
Someone say hammer time? :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:42 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
Well done Rattus,so you have your own MC(muscle car)Hammer now huh?
Someone say hammer time? :-)

lol... Thank you Baz, that made my day. :-)