Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 427 BBC Build
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 pm 

rarerat wrote:
hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:

Thank you sir I appreciate the info.

I may drop the main jet another step and see what happens, the WOT (Wide Open Throttle) plug chop still looks a bit rich to me and see what happens. The egt temps are still under what I was expecting also. The old Engine with the stock carb was very predictable and the egt temps where in the upper 1270's to 1300 most of the time. Even with the 165 I am still only seeing temps in the 1130 -1150 range at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and the smoke ring still looks wide to me?? This carb in the parts Pilot had a 40 slow jet :shock: and I thought that would be way to lean so that's why I started with the 50 as a base line. I am now thinking maybe I should have just left the 40 in it. Right now aside from a slight bog right off idle it pulls really hard pretty much all the way through but in the deep sand it almost sounds like it is struggling a bit at WOT (Wide Open Throttle), its moving but it just has that sound if that makes any sense.

Another dumb question.. I wonder how much more air it will get with the lid off vs my dual pre filter?

Each Engine is different so don't always shoot for the same EGT numbers dial in the jetting and worry about the numbers later once you get the jetting dialed in then study the EGT numbers and use that as a gauge to protect your Engine and to monitor your jetting, learn your Engine well enough trust me you will be able to tell by the sound and the feel what your EGT will be reading.

You tell us what the difference will be with the lid off again each Engine is different, I have found its will take a slightly rich jetted Engine (over all jetting) and make it darn near perfect.

If your on the lean side in the mid range and remove the lid be aware of a mid range seizure when you least expect it, mostly soon as you run in the mid range a while then let off the gas, that is why a slightly rich idle to 1/4 throttle pays off, when you let off the gas that extra rich mix cools and lubes the Engine more than if you had it 'right' or even on the lean side, my engines spend so little time at idle being fat on the bottom end IMO is win win, I never have mine jetting over rich to the point you ever see smoke at any RPM when the Engine is up to full temp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:23 pm 

hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:
hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:

Thank you sir I appreciate the info.

I may drop the main jet another step and see what happens, the WOT (Wide Open Throttle) plug chop still looks a bit rich to me and see what happens. The egt temps are still under what I was expecting also. The old Engine with the stock carb was very predictable and the egt temps where in the upper 1270's to 1300 most of the time. Even with the 165 I am still only seeing temps in the 1130 -1150 range at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and the smoke ring still looks wide to me?? This carb in the parts Pilot had a 40 slow jet :shock: and I thought that would be way to lean so that's why I started with the 50 as a base line. I am now thinking maybe I should have just left the 40 in it. Right now aside from a slight bog right off idle it pulls really hard pretty much all the way through but in the deep sand it almost sounds like it is struggling a bit at WOT (Wide Open Throttle), its moving but it just has that sound if that makes any sense.

Another dumb question.. I wonder how much more air it will get with the lid off vs my dual pre filter?

Each Engine is different so don't always shoot for the same EGT numbers dial in the jetting and worry about the numbers later once you get the jetting dialed in then study the EGT numbers and use that as a gauge to protect your Engine and to monitor your jetting, learn your Engine well enough trust me you will be able to tell by the sound and the feel what your EGT will be reading.

You tell us what the difference will be with the lid off again each Engine is different, I have found its will take a slightly rich jetted Engine (over all jetting) and make it darn near perfect.

If your on the lean side in the mid range and remove the lid be aware of a mid range seizure when you least expect it, mostly soon as you run in the mid range a while then let off the gas, that is why a slightly rich idle to 1/4 throttle pays off, when you let off the gas that extra rich mix cools and lubes the Engine more than if you had it 'right' or even on the lean side, my engines spend so little time at idle being fat on the bottom end IMO is win win, I never have mine jetting over rich to the point you ever see smoke at any RPM when the Engine is up to full temp.

Great advice sir, Thank you.
I will pull the lid and try it before doing anything else & report back.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:38 pm 

I was beginning to think this day would never come, but I finally after 3 different choke rings I finally got one that would fit both my scatter shield and the trans at the same time. The 427 is finally sitting on the mounts. :-)

These mid length headers are a hell of a lot easer to install than the old Hooker long tubes but I am still right up on the steering box. :-( I am going to try and space the Engine up an 1/8 on the left side and if that doesn't give me the clearance I'm looking for I'll change the one hex headed bolt to a allen or ?? It doesnt need much, so I think it shouldn't be too bad.

Tons of room on the right side so no issues there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:53 pm 

Nick, I wish that bad boy was up and running so we could terrorize your neighborhood;)

Hopefully some day we can go for a cruise!

Did you muscle that in all by yourself? If so, KUDOS:()

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:32 pm 

lol.. me too.

Yeah, just me myself & I. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:04 am 

For that bolt use a flat headed cap screw ( counter sink the cap )

I have machined power steering pump mounting surfaces before to get a little more clearance in that area

Note I have seen shims between the frame and power steering pumps also if yours has there might be a little more

Speed

Nice Engine :-) I will posts some of my 454 race Engine pic's that I build long ago and purchased back for $500 :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:03 pm 

speedchaser wrote:
For that bolt use a flat headed cap screw ( counter sink the cap )

I have machined power steering pump mounting surfaces before to get a little more clearance in that area

Note I have seen shims between the frame and power steering pumps also if yours has there might be a little more

Speed

Nice Engine :-) I will posts some of my 454 race Engine pic's that I build long ago and purchased back for $500 :shock:

Thank you sir. I ended up changing the bolt and spacing it up 1/8 & now it's tight but clears. Still have to lift the Engine a couple of inches to get it in & out but its not bad at all compared to the old Hookers. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:59 pm 

Wow... it's been a while... It isn't even close to being done, still have a lot of little things to do & some tuning but the 427 is ALIVE... :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:16 pm 

Sounds and Looks Beautiful!!! Congratulations Buddy!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:52 pm 

scpilot66 wrote:
Sounds and Looks Beautiful!!! Congratulations Buddy!!!

Thank you sir.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:26 am 

Very happy for you NotSoCommonAnymoreRodent! :-)

Be careful with forward Engine movement under braking.

Many moons ago when I swapped my OEM belt/fan to Electric radiator Fan on my Ford XW GS.
I was left with a very small clearance between the radiator mounted E Fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) cover and Engine pulley setup.
I thought that because it had clearance now,and at idle was fine,that I'd be good to go?
Anyway,everytime I medium braked at Stop signs etc,I'd get a scrapping noise from the front.
Took a while but I found the prob.See when I braked,the Engine/tranny mass etc would surge forward and push the pulley setup into the E Fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) cover.
You could see the telltale circular marks scrapped thru the black paint into the E Fan cover.
I then learned how much the engines actually move when braking,and much more under heavier braking.
So just something to watch out for IF it arrises.
Good luck with it Rattus. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:23 am 

Very nice!
When are you going to start on the 2 seater pilot? :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:18 am 

bugeye59 wrote:
Very happy for you NotSoCommonAnymoreRodent! :-)

Be careful with forward Engine movement under braking.

Many moons ago when I swapped my OEM belt/fan to Electric radiator Fan on my Ford XW GS.
I was left with a very small clearance between the radiator mounted E Fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((Internal Combustion Engine?)) cover and Engine pulley setup.
I thought that because it had clearance now,and at idle was fine,that I'd be good to go?
Anyway,everytime I medium braked at Stop signs etc,I'd get a scrapping noise from the front.
Took a while but I found the prob.See when I braked,the Engine/tranny mass etc would surge forward and push the pulley setup into the E Fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((Internal Combustion Engine?)) cover.
You could see the telltale circular marks scrapped thru the black paint into the E Fan cover.
I then learned how much the engines actually move when braking,and much more under heavier braking.
So just something to watch out for IF it arrises.
Good luck with it Rattus. :-)

Will do, Thanks Baz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:33 am 

redskinman wrote:
Very nice!
When are you going to start on the 2 seater pilot? :-)

I don't know, it's been about a year since we have even had the 2 seat Odyssey out. To be honest, I messed my back up so bad on the Pilot the last time out, I am almost a little afraid to even take it out again. :shock:
If I didn't think my girls would have a fit, I think I would cut it loose and free up some space.