Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 67 Camaro
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:28 pm 

I have said this before somewhere but the US car makers could slaughter the competition if the dummies would just remake the old 60's muscle cars with modern engines and electronics. I made that statement before the newer mustang and charger were introduced. But like always the dummies only do it half azz. No wonder the Asians are kicking our butts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:57 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
Well done Rattus mate!
You been busier than a cucumber in a women's prison! :-)

:shock: lol... Yes I have. :-)

I pulled the repo ZL-2 hood I had on my 68 Vert to use on this car. This car came with the same hood but it is an original GM Cowl hood and I want it for my car so I'm going too swap them. It has a little damage but nothing I cant fix. This hood had a couple little boo boo's also, but I stripped it today and fixed them. I just came in from shooting it in primer.

I mocked it up on the car before I did anything to check the fit & all looks good. I don't have a hood latch yet but if you hold it down in the front, it doesn't look half bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:04 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
I have said this before somewhere but the US car makers could slaughter the competition if the dummies would just remake the old 60's muscle cars with modern engines and electronics. I made that statement before the newer mustang and charger were introduced. But like always the dummies only do it half azz. No wonder the Asians are kicking our butts.

I agree. only problem is once you add all the extra safety crap, like crash bumpers etc.. to be in line with all the government BS, it will look nothing like the early cars. Of the three retro cars out there, I think I like the Challenger the best, although if you park a new Challenger next to a 70, the new car looks like a bloated pig. lol..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:19 pm 

rarerat wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

I agree. only problem is once you add all the extra safety crap, like crash bumpers etc.. to be in line with all the government BS, it will look nothing like the early cars. Of the three retro cars out there, I think I like the Challenger the best, although if you park a new Challenger next to a 70, the new car looks like a bloated pig. lol..

Automakers need to do an exact copy of the old muscle cars just update the mechanicals keep the body lines exact....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:10 pm 

hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

Automakers need to do an exact copy of the old muscle cars just update the mechanicals keep the body lines exact....

I would be first in line to buy one if they ever did.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:55 pm 

Nothing like sitting in a Camaro looking out over a cowl hood!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:09 am 

bullnerd wrote:
Nothing like sitting in a Camaro looking out over a cowl hood!

I agree!! :-)

A little progress, pretty boring stuff really just a lot of blocking but I think I have it in final prime and I'm ready to paint the dash and jams after a small repair on the radio mounting hole..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:23 pm 

A little progress..

After fixing the butchered radio hole, I shot the dash, top of the doors, below the rear window and under the hood with semi gloss Black..

Painted under the trunk & the jams in Marina Blue Base/Clear.

I hope to have time tomorrow to jam the fenders, under the spoiler and the sides of the hood.

On a side note, I got a smoking deal on an Engine & trans that was so good I just couldn't pass it up. :-) A member on Team Camaro is doing an EFI swap on a 69 for a customer and he pulled a new Goodwrench Crate Engine & turbo 350 trans out a week ago with less than 3000 miles on them. He threw in a brand new 600 Holley, a set of coated mid length headers and a full FlowMaster exhaust system. It was an 18 hour road trip to Vegas to pick it all up Saturday, but holy crap, I still cant pry the damn smile off my face. lol.. This will definatly help me get back on budget with this build. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:46 pm 

Marina blue! Niiicccee!

Congrats on the score, that'll make a nice reliable cruiser.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:00 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Marina blue! Niiicccee!

Congrats on the score, that'll make a nice reliable cruiser.

Thank you sir.

The Engine deal couldn't come at a better time, I was just getting ready to order pistons to build a small block I had on hand. I couldn't even buy what I needed for the short block for what I paid for everything I got. This combo wont be a tire fryer by any means, but like you said should be a nice dependable driver which at this stage of my life is all a person needs. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:14 pm 

A few more update pictures.
I went out last night and shot the Blue base and got up early this morning to do the stripe and clear it. I buried the stripe in clear so once it's color sanded & buffed you shouldn't be able to feel it..

3 coats of Base..

Free handed with 1/8 fine Line Tape

3 coats of Vail White base

3 coats of Clear...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:34 pm 

Stunning my friend, stunning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:49 pm 

go oddy wrote:
Stunning my friend, stunning.

Thank you sir.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:24 pm 

Hey Rat how about sharing what brand paint, gun, and any other tips you care to share for home painters?

Do you have any kind of draft system setup?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:45 pm 

Too cool, was that striping an option that came with the RS option?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:13 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Hey Rat how about sharing what brand paint, gun, and any other tips you care to share for home painters?

Do you have any kind of draft system setup?

I have a few different guns but for the most part I like to use a Devilbiss Finish line 3 to shoot color and I have a Tekna Copper that I use just for shooting clear. You could do the whole job with either gun and I have in the past but I prefer to use the Tekna just to shoot Clear.
Honestly I'm about as caveman as they come when painting cars. I just have a big fan in the window pointing out and open another window to get some air flow. I partition off my garage with plastic so I can control the overspray and go to it. :-) I have talked for years about building a booth but have yet to do it, the good news is with todays 2 stage paints you could almost paint them out side and after color sanding & buffing have great results.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:17 pm 

stix wrote:
Too cool, was that striping an option that came with the RS option?

Thanks the D91 stripe was the standard SS stripe but could have been ordered on any 67 except for a Z/28.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:42 pm 

I threw it outside this morning to clean up a bit and grabbed a couple pics while in the sun. It's been a while since i've done a Blue car, honestly I forgot how much I like this color combo. lol..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:48 pm 

Oh man! I am so friggin' jealous right now!

For anyone following, this is no where near as easy as he just made it look!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:01 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Oh man! I am so friggin' jealous right now!

For anyone following, this is no where near as easy as he just made it look!

Thank you for the kind words sir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:32 pm 

A little progress on the 67..

I resealed the intake & painted the Engine Chevy Orange & then pulled the front sheet metal & set it in..

Next I cleaned & painted the tail light housings & installed new lenses along with a new rear bumper & gas cap..

Installed the Wing windows & Quarter glass with new rollers..

Put a kit in a 600 Holley and installed it along with all the fuel lines etc..
Installed the heater box assembly with a new heater core resistor and replaced the broken defrost lever on the heater control..
Installed a new set of trans cooler lines and the Engine wiring harness etc..

Installed the full exhaust system. It's a non correct 69 2.5 Flowmaster American Thunder system I got when I bought the crate Engine from the guy in Las Vegas. It's basically the same as the a 67 or 68 kit except the tail pipes stick straight out the back instead of pointing down just past the rear tires. It had been installed on a 69 Camaro and who ever did it butchered the install. It's a 500 + kit so I just tried to clean up some of his UGLY welds and make the best of it..

Finally located the correct rollers to replace the ones broken & installed the door glass on both sides..

I have the dash mostly compete except for the glove compartment door, since I still need to paint it. I installed a new dual speaker under the dash & i'm am waiting on a radio I bought on ebay and then I can finish it up. I rolled the odometer back to zero and installed a new gauge bezel. All of the under dash wiring is completed along with a new speedo cable. Right now I'm waiting on a new lower column bearing to get here so I can rebuild the column and get it installed also. I did go ahead and install the driver side door panel but that's pretty much as far as I am on the interior as of now.

that's pretty much where the is as of now. I'm waiting on a new gas gauge sending unit to get here so I can install the fuel tank. Once I get that and I find the missing power steering bracket I need I should be able to throw the radiator in it & fire it up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:45 pm 

Awesome!

"broken defrost lever", that brings back some memories. They are cast aluminum and really thin right? I can kinda remember fixing mine.

Did you recover the dash pad?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:59 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Awesome!

"broken defrost lever", that brings back some memories. They are cast aluminum and really thin right? I can kinda remember fixing mine.

Yes sir they are. I bought a replacement lower lever and just swapped the broken one out.

The dash pad was recovered but a prior owner did it before I bought the car.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:40 pm 

rarerat wrote:
bullnerd wrote:
Awesome!

Yes sir they are. I bought a replacement lower lever and just swapped the broken one out.

The dash pad was recovered but a prior owner did it before I bought the car.

I think I used a coat hangar and some epoxy! LOL.

Yeah you can tell. The factory ones are really straight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:24 am 

UHHHHGGGG!

I skim CL every few days for a couple things. One of them is Camaros. I found this today. OMG! I'll post it here so you can cry with me! LOL!

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5810609400.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next