Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 74 Camaro
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:19 pm 

I wish I had some Pilot stuff to post but unfortunately i'm still Pilotless. lol..

After selling the Blue 67 Camaro in February I started looking for a new project. What can I say but I like early Camaros, so I focused on trying to find another 67-69 to build. Since they arent exactly falling out of trees around here it took me a few months to find one in my price range. On June 2nd I made an 800 mile round trip into Colorado to drag home a 68 that would be my next restoration victim.

It was a craigs list find and when I went to the DMV to try and transfer the title I was informed my title was no good as it wasn't the most recent & that it was titled in Alabama. :shock: Anyway to shorten a very long ugly ordeal after 2 months of fighting with the DMV I still had no title.

Well I needed a project car so on August 22nd I found this little jewel up in Steve's neck of the woods. It was "barn find" lol.. literally was parked in a small barn and hadn't ran in over 15 years.

I drug it home and pulled & cleaned the gas tank, installed a new battery and some fresh gas and it fired right up and sounds pretty good.

I had to install partials in all 4 fenders to remove the rust and clean up some prior poor body work from the 3 previous paint jobs but all in all it was a pretty clean little car.

I struggled back & forth on if I should have kept the Vinyl top or not and the plan was to shoot it in LeMans Blue right up until I was at the paint store buying the color.

I tried to shoot it yesterday, but the wind kicked up too much to continue, so I got up early this morning and shot the clear.. I should be able too sand & buff out any dust & hopefully it will look pretty good..

Hope to wrap this thing up in the coming weeks and send it down the road.. .

Now here's the crazy thing.. about a week after I drug this POS home, I was finally able to get a clean NM title on the 68. :-)

Post subject: Re: 74 Camaro
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:57 pm 

My first car was,a,74 Camaro z28 type lt. Power windows locks and AC. Had a 350 hp Engine with a 310 cam. Would just rock back and fourth at traffic lights.
It got flooded out in which ever hurricane we had back in 93 I think it was.
Brings back some memories. Looks great and thanks for sharing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 pm 

Great work yet again. It's a gift when you enjoy doing something that puts money in your pocket and keeps another car from going to scrap.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:20 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
My first car was,a,74 Camaro z28 type lt. Power windows locks and AC. Had a 350 hp Engine with a 310 cam. Would just rock back and fourth at traffic lights.
It got flooded out in which ever hurricane we had back in 93 I think it was.
Brings back some memories. Looks great and thanks for sharing.

Thank you. Wow! Sounds like a really nice car you had. I'm sorry to hear you lost it in the hurricane, that is truly heart breaking. The lady that sold me this one said it was her sons first car.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:20 pm 

go oddy wrote:
Great work yet again. It's a gift when you enjoy doing something that puts money in your pocket and keeps another car from going to scrap.

Thank you for the kind words sir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:33 pm 

Nice!

I like your light stands too!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:55 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Nice!

I like your light stands too!

Thank you.

Yeah I'm pretty high tech around here, lol..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:22 pm 

I pulled the paper and threw the wheels & tires, spoiler etc.. on today.. Hope to finish it up this week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:01 am 

Geeez I love it. Very Well done man.

I love seeing someone produce like that WITHOUT the $25,000 booth, and other high end gadgets.

I don't want to drill you but painting has never been my thing. If you would, please share any details of your methods...

Urethane or water based? What brand/products?
Your particular gun and pressure used for base and for clear?
I assume maybe a night spray to take advantage of Temperature drop in NM at night?
You guys don't have bugs there do you? Picture of a street light at night would show me whats up with that. Hahaha

Check these out, you might like... https://www.zipwall.com/xcart/

REALLY well done man. Thanks for posting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:07 am 

John l wrote:
Geeez I love it. Very Well done man.

I love seeing someone produce like that WITHOUT the $25,000 booth, and other high end gadgets.

I don't want to drill you but painting has never been my thing. If you would, please share any details of your methods...

Urethane or water based? What brand/products?
Your particular gun and pressure used for base and for clear?
I assume maybe a night spray to take advantage of Temperature drop in NM at night?
You guys don't have bugs there do you? Picture of a street light at night would show me whats up with that. Hahaha

Check these out, you might like... https://www.zipwall.com/xcart/

REALLY well done man. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for the kind words John..

I shot it with Martin Senour Crossfire Urethane base coat with their Crossfire 5020 clear. They are mid grade products and the base is ok, but I really like the clear. The color is god for a complete paint job but the couple times I've tried it to match its not so good.
I use a Devilbiss Finish Line gun to shoot base @ 22psi & a Tekna Copper for Clear @ 24 psi
This year has been exceptionally hot so I did get up early in morning while it was still dark to clear it but mostly just trying to beat the wind. Unfortunately, bugs can be a problem in the sumer painting at night in the past.

That zip wall is pretty slick. I need to build some kind of booth and have been wanting to for years. My biggest problem is my garage isnt big enough or I just have to much crap in it. I hang plastic stapled from the ceiling to partion it off so I don't cover the other cars in over spray. It is a pain in the @ss to do it every time but right now its really my only option.
Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:31 pm 

Pretty much have all the body back together except for the rocker moldings. I am going have to re shoot the drivers side door because dumbass here, managed to put 3 small dents in it while installing the driver side window sweep, but any how here are a few pics out side.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 am 

WOW! I dig it! Thanks for the details on spraying. Saved to my telephone for future reference. Sorry about the door but you got that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 am 

Are you going to let your daughter drive this one before you rip it out of her hands and sell it? :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 am 

John l wrote:
WOW! I dig it! Thanks for the details on spraying. Saved to my telephone for future reference. Sorry about the door but you got that.

Yeah I was pretty pissed yesterday once I realized what I had done. :shock: I can fix it, but it still sucks..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:16 am 

bullnerd wrote:
Are you going to let your daughter drive this one before you rip it out of her hands and sell it? :-)

lol.. Yes.
She's in college now so she wont be taking this one to school. She can drive it on the weekends to help it be seen. I kind of hope it finds a new home quick to help fund the upcoming 68 build.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:10 am 

Nice work as always,2 thumbs up :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 am 

redskinman wrote:
Nice work as always,2 thumbs up :-)

Thank you sir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:31 am 

Awesome as usual Nick.
When are we going on a ride, I have a pilot for you to ride + you need to take mine for a spin it is all back together now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 pm 

scpilot66 wrote:
Awesome as usual Nick.
When are we going on a ride, I have a pilot for you to ride + you need to take mine for a spin it is all back together now.

Thank you Steve, one of these days I hope. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:52 am 

Nice work. I, unfortunately haven't followed this build that closely...I'm saving my time for the upcoming 68 build. I don't believe you do this from your garage :-) ... you're not going to fool me! I think you have a full booth etc..
Regards

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:32 am 

go oddy wrote:
Nice work. I, unfortunately haven't followed this build that closely...I'm saving my time for the upcoming 68 build. I don't believe you do this from your garage :-) ... you're not going to fool me! I think you have a full booth etc..
Regards

lol.... Thank you sir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 pm 

Hey Rat, quick body question for you,

Guy down the road from me has a 68rs for a pretty good price. Complete original car....except the drip rail is gone? Is that thing even replaceable? I've replaced just about every panel on a car, but I don't think I've ever looked twice at that little drip rail! Looks silly without it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:56 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Hey Rat, quick body question for you,

Guy down the road from me has a 68rs for a pretty good price. Complete original car....except the drip rail is gone? Is that thing even replaceable? I've replaced just about every panel on a car, but I don't think I've ever looked twice at that little drip rail! Looks silly without it.

Yes you can replace it, but it gets welded to the inner roof structure before the quarter and the roof skin goes on so it would be a pretty big job to reinstall it. Although if the car is ruff and needs sheet metal anyhow it wouldn't be a big deal to replace it while the car is apart. I agree these cars just don't look right with out it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:58 pm 

OK, sounds like a PIA job, but good to know you can replace it.

I looked it up while I was waiting for the Camaro master to reply, looks like people remove it to try to make the body sleeker or more modern. Stupid, looks silly. If its not welded just right, you just ruined the roof panel. I didn't look real close, as soon as I saw it I was disgusted! LOL! How to ruin a perfectly good RS!

Thanks man. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:14 am 

bullnerd wrote:
OK, sounds like a PIA job, but good to know you can replace it.

I looked it up while I was waiting for the Camaro master to reply, looks like people remove it to try to make the body sleeker or more modern. Stupid, looks silly. If its not welded just right, you just ruined the roof panel. I didn't look real close, as soon as I saw it I was disgusted! LOL! How to ruin a perfectly good RS!

Thanks man. :-)

Yeah I'm with you, they just looks like crap when removed. Plus it's the front drip rail that helps divert the wind from hitting you square in the face while driving with the windows down.

I licensed the 74 yesterday and drove it a little. Its a very comfortable car that feels like it just floats down the road, not at all the feel of the early cars. lol.. Still haven't fixed the driver side door & the speedo is sticking so i need to find out whats up with that, but all in all its seems to be a pretty nice old car.