Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 68 Camaro
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 pm 

What the hell... here we go again..

I should call this one "Project Tetanus" as you damn near need a Tetanus shot just to get with in 20' of it. lol..

The car was born the 5th week of May 68 with a 327 & a glide in Ash Gold with a Black Vinyl Top, Black D90 Stripe & Gold standard interior.
I found this little gem in May of this year on Craigs list in Colorado and made the 800 mile round trip to drag it home. One of my first questions to the seller before even considering making the trip was.. "Does the car have a clear & clean title? of course the seller said yes and assured me there would be no issues with the title. Boy was he ever wrong!! Upon dragging this POS home and going to the DMV to transfer the title I was informed the signed Open title I was given dated 10/1998 was not the most recent title on the car and ithe state of NM showed the car was titled in Alabama sometime in 2004. :shock: Of course I couldn't go back to the seller since his name wasn't even on it and the car had bounced thru 3,4,5, hell maybe 10 owners since the registered owner had sold the car. I tried to contact the seller and see if he could help me but that was useless, he basically stung me along for a bout a week and then quit answering my calls or texts and my gut instinct was he had spent the cash I had given him already and short of possibly taking him to court in Colorado there was not much more i could do LEGALLY. At this point I was into this POS for right about 5 grand & just wanted to stop bleeding cash on this turd & I listed back on craigs list for sale as a project car with NO title and hoped to just recover most of what I had in it.

A couple of weeks after I started on the 74 the planets must have all aligned I got a cler title on it. It only took 2 months and 3 trips to the DMV, 2 different trips to the police Dept. & sheriff's Dept. and several angry calls with multiple zombies @ the state of NM.

So since it didn't sell, tear down has begun. It's on my rotisserie now with the Quarter, Outer wheelhouse & most of the trunk drop off removed. Unfortunately it's going to need an outer rocker on the right side so I'm kind of at a stand still until it gets here..

that's about it for now I wont get the rocker until next week, so in the mean time, I'll put some bracing so it doesnt fold up like a lawn chair when I cut the rocker off. :shock: lol.. .

Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:52 pm 

That sounds exactly like the horror show that went on here two years ago in the Province of B.C when the gov't told everyone that they now need insurance on all atv's, dirt bikes, etc.
Before that time you didn't need any insurance to ride.
The idiots wanted documentation going back to the first day it came here and buyers/sellers names and papers. At the end of the day I think they realized that was impossible for most machines. They just wanted the money anyways, just like all terrorist states. After all there are a lot of hungry mouths to feed at the trough. So now if you go to a notary public here and swear on a bible it's yours, have had it for a long time and don't know who or when you exactly bought it, then it's yours and you can insure it ----------------- for about $35 of coarse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 am 

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing it come back to life.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 am 

Cool, looking forward to it.

That thing is in showroom condition already compared to what's available on the east coast!

What did you cut the quarter with?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:56 pm 

HEY I think I see a 65' Ford Falcon back there --- sweet. I wana see that one when done please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:17 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
HEY I think I see a 65' Ford Falcon back there --- sweet. I wana see that one when done please.

more like a 63 comet. close though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:35 pm 

Thanks guys.

Yep, it's a 63 Comet with a factory 260 & a 4 speed. It will run & drive with an afternoons work but the pitman arm is bad and there is not a single one anywhere in the US that I can find for it. My only choices are to convert the front end to 65 or newer or try and send my pitman arm off and have it rebuilt, that is assuming it's a good core.

I got a brace under the car to hopefully hold it together when I remove the rocker & floor. It bolts to the rear frame and is welded to the front support so hopefully it will keep everything square. I guess we shall see.. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 am 

Awesome Nick, glad you were finally able to get a title.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:13 am 

scpilot66 wrote:
Awesome Nick, glad you were finally able to get a title.

Thank you sir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:18 pm 

I should come over with a video camera and we will start our own TV show called "We don't Need No stinkin Titles"! LOL, maybe get aired on Velocity channel!?!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:38 pm 

stix wrote:
I should come over with a video camera and we will start our own TV show called "We don't Need No stinkin Titles"! LOL, maybe get aired on Velocity channel!?!

I doubt it would appeal much to todays viewers. I'm not covered in tattoos, & don't throw tools, also since every other word out of my mouth is not the F bomb I doubt I would fit the car builder profile shown on TV these days. lol..

Removed the rusty rocker & mocked up the new Rocker as well as the trunk drop off & outer wheel house. So far, everything looks to be fitting really nice. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:28 pm 

Nice!

I'd watch. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 pm 

rarerat wrote:
stix wrote:

I doubt it would appeal much to todays viewers. I'm not covered in tattoos, & don't throw tools, also since every other word out of my mouth is not the F bomb I doubt I would fit the car builder profile shown on TV these days. lol..

that is funny :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:26 pm 

Got the rocker all welded on and started mocking up the right Quarter. I still need to do a little minor tweaking on it but over all, I'm happy with the fit of all the new panels thus far.

The floor pans were delivered yesterday so I should be able to get started replacing the floor sometime next week. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 am 

Are you overlapping the quarter over that small section you left below the body line?

They look like through clecos from here, not the seam type.

Hard to tell in the pic.

Where do you buy your panels from?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:37 am 

Just amazing. So impressive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:37 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 am 

bullnerd wrote:
Are you overlapping the quarter over that small section you left below the body line?

They look like through clecos from here, not the seam type.

Hard to tell in the pic.

Where do you buy your panels from?

Yes it is overlapped about an 1/8 of an inch where you see the clecos & a little less everywhere else. I crimped a bevel in the top part of whats left of the original quarter panel so it's a flush fit with the new quarter even through these new AMD panels are actually thicker than the originals. I'm generally a price shopper.. who ever gives me the best deal gets my business. I have used most of the different brands of panels over the years and for the most part I prefer AMD although nothing beats original GM. There is always some little something that is off or slightly different about the repo metal no mater who makes it that you have to work around but honestly 99% of the people out there would never know the difference or see it even if you pointed it out to them. All the AMD metal on this car has come from Jegs so far because they have given me free shipping on everything. Most places want to charge Truck freight on these big panels.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 am 

FloridaEdd wrote:

Thank you for the kind words sir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:12 am 

Man you REALLY make me miss my old Camaros. You're an artist with the muscle car buddy.

Wondering what your thoughts are on the new generation of Camaros they have nowadays? I test drove one.. wow! That's the most fun I have had cruising around in a few thousand pounds of recycled beer cans and milk cartons ever.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:33 pm 

John l wrote:
Man you REALLY make me miss my old Camaros. You're an artist with the muscle car buddy.

Wondering what your thoughts are on the new generation of Camaros they have nowadays? I test drove one.. wow! That's the most fun I have had cruising around in a few thousand pounds of recycled beer cans and milk cartons ever.

Thank you for the kind words sir.

I like the newer Camaros and hear they are an amazing cars but I have never driven one. They have always been so far out of my price range I just hadn't really considered one. 10 years ago or so, I got it my head I wanted a newer Camaro & won the bid on a 2000 SS Convertible on ebay. I flew out to Chicago and drove it home. It was a really nice loaded car with about 60K miles on it when I got it. It was a lot of fun at first but the new wore off pretty quick for me. I have always preferred the older cars and even though that 2000 SS did just about everything better, it wasn't long before I hated it. When it was all said & done I probably only owned for about 6 months and aside from my old money pit race cars, it was the only Camaro I've ever lost money on. lol..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:06 pm 

That was going to be my next question, if you flanged it or not.

Very cool.

Thanks for the tips on the panel suppliers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:38 pm 

Here is a little more progress on the 68..

Got the quarter welded on ..

Moved onto the rusted floor on the passenger side..

This was the first cut..

Butt welded in the floor in..

I still need to do a little more grinding, but hopefully with a little glaze over the grind marks the repair should be undetectable from either side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:28 pm 

I'm an idiot! I looked the pic and said to myself, that rocker looks pretty good for how bad the floor is? DOH!

Can you post a close up of that weld/joint detail where the panel meets the old quarter?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 pm 

yeah I will get on tomorrow for you