Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 pm 

I have been wanting to recover my seat and since I couldn't come up with a factory seat cover I figured I will just try and make my own. I went to a fabric store and bought 2 yards of Blue vinyl. Hopefully it will be enough to do both of my FL 350's seats and I bought a 1 yard of Red Vinyl and figured I would try and make some side covers to help keep some of the sand out of my lap.

Now mind you, I have never sewed anything in my life, but for the 31 Bux I spent on materials I figured I would give it the old college try. :-)

This afternoon I made a cover for the front below the lights and am now ready to start on the side covers next. What do you guys think? Does it look OK or is it just flat ugly looking? Any opinions good or bad are welcome.

Here is the Vinyl I bought to do the seats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm 

that covers a great idea and looks good,you should make a few and sell them on ebay or maybe here also :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:49 pm 

redskinman wrote:
that covers a great idea and looks good,you should make a few and sell them on ebay or maybe here also :-)

Thanks, I am anxious to get started on the sides now. I'm not really sure exactly how I will make the seat cover yet, but maybe I'll get lucky and the "Martha Stewart" in me will come through. LOL... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:30 pm 

NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:10 am 

I like the front cover. All depending on how thick the material is will determine how long your covers will last. But if it's cheap, I say go for it! I was wanting to do side panels on my Ody and was going to do them in plastic. I don't think the vinyl will hold up too well on side panels.

I'm really curious on what you come up with for a seat cover. I have a spare seat that could use a cover. If they come out well you may have to make several for us here on the site! Of coarse we will pay you......unless you want to give them away LOL!:-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:28 am 

looks great.. i did this a lot on my boats,, a few hints a least 2 maybe 3 passes with the sewing machine,, don't use normal tread,,i used braided fishing line,,,more holes on the sides...it all needs to be heavy dudy, rain washing and mud.....good luck

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:28 am 

looks great.. i did this a lot on my boats,, a few hints a least 2 maybe 3 passes with the sewing machine,, don't use normal tread,,i used braided fishing line,,,more holes on the sides...it all needs to be heavy dudy, rain washing and mud.....good luck

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:34 am 

Looks good lets see the seat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:10 pm 

Thank you for the kind words & all the great feedback guys. I made one of the side covers and stuck it on, & so far I think I like it. Hopefully it will help keep some of the sand out, but not effect any of the air flow to the Engine.

What do you guys think, does it look good and functional or is it just plain fugly???

Thanks again,
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:31 pm 

Looks fine. Function over form but they look fine. Let us know how well they hold up.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 pm 

Looks good make sure you spin the tiewrap ends out of the way of your arm, they will slice you wide open.

Attachments:
HPIM3786.jpg [91.29 KiB]
Downloaded 281 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:52 pm 

Thanks guys and Thank you for catching the tie wrap ends before I did the hard way. :shock: :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:36 pm 

Covers look great.
Looks like your hand brake needs adjusting to? Too high up the handle,how many clicks till it stops?

If you want to stop the dirt from blasting you,especially at full lock,then install some mud flaps at the bottom of the fenders.I had 2 odys that had that option from Honda,they stop most of the crap,well worth it.
Here's some I made for my Pilot a while back.They also minimise rock/stone damage to buggy/motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )),rear suspension,cv boots etc...Baz
http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopi ... rapinators

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:17 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
Covers look great.
Looks like your hand brake needs adjusting to? Too high up the handle,how many clicks till it stops?

If you want to stop the dirt from blasting you,especially at full lock,then install some mud flaps at the bottom of the fenders.I had 2 odys that had that option from Honda,they stop most of the crap,well worth it.
Here's some I made for my Pilot a while back.They also minimise rock/stone damage to buggy/motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )),rear suspension,cv boots etc...Baz
http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopi ... rapinators

Crapinator's :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:36 pm 

Thanks I will check the hand brake, it works well so I never thought about it.

I finished the side covers tonight & am anxious to ride it again to see if there is any difference. I also rigged up a homemade camera mount so I can bolt my video camera to the front of it and film the ride. They are predicting rain all weekend but I may try and get back out there to the end of Southern, where Steve & I rode and see how the new covers work as well as try and film some of the trails. If it turns out I will make a youtube video and then you guys can see a little of the riding area here. :-)

Anyway here are a few pics of the right side with the cover on..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:53 pm 

Looks good, by the way replace your seat harness, one good crash on an old belt and that sucker may rip and you'll be a hurtin unit!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:53 pm 

Thanks Rand.

After riding this morning with the covers I really like them. They do keep most of the crap out of my lap and so far help up great. I didn't get into any real deep mud, but the little I did, didn't seem too bother them at all.

Also here is a pic of my quicky homemade camera mount. It help up really well even going threw whoop hell this morning. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:39 am 

So where's the video?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:58 am 

Randman wrote:
So where's the video?

Rand

I posted them here...
http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopi ... 7899#67899

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:10 pm 

OK here is my half @ssed attempt art covering the seat.

It looks better than it did before but it is defiantly nothing to get excited about. This material is not nearly as heavy as the red stuff I used on the side covers so i wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't last very long.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:51 am 

Seat looks much better than before if it don't last try it again with thicker material. Better than a wet ass trust me lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:09 am 

That seat looks great Mate! What are ya talkin' about?...PLUS you did it yourself!!!!!!!
Now if it were my attempt,woulda looked like a half sucked prune! :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:24 am 

bugeye59 wrote:
That seat looks great Mate! What are ya talkin' about?...PLUS you did it yourself!!!!!!!
Now if it were my attempt,woulda looked like a half sucked prune! :shock:

Haha I was thinking the same thing, I want him to get it perfected so when my Pilot seat goes bad he can cover it.

Their is a guy and gal that recover seats on the 3 wheeler board and make them look factory I wonder if they could do something for the 350 Pilot seats?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 am 

Thanks guys

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:13 pm 

I wasn't very happy with the way the seat turned out and since I had to pull it back off to finish my fan install, I decided to redo it. I went back to the fabric store and found a thicker Blue vinyl. This stuff is real heavy like the stuff I used for the side covers, so I think it will be much more durable.

I think the seat looks better this time, still not perfect but livable. :-) All in all it stretched pretty good and is smooth except for where my seat was all torn up and I had silicone all over it trying to keep the water out.