Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilot bumper & hood
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:49 pm 

I have really been not liking the looks of my front bumper on my Pilot lately so i thought I might give it a face lift. :-) I was board the other evening so I removed the bumper and planed to just scuff & shoot it but the old paint was falling off all the way to metal so I ended up taking it all the way off and starting from scratch. I coated it with a nice wet coat of epoxy primer and then wet sanded it with 400 and gave it 3 wet coats of Swift Red Base followed by 2 wet coats of clear. It really changed the looks and so far I think I like it. When it came time to paint it, of course, as usual I mixed to much base & I have been wanting a hood for a while now, so I took an old piece of galvanized heater ducting and quickly trimmed it to fit the opening, sanded off all the galvanizing and primed really quick. Then sanded it with 400 and shot the rest of the Red base on it & cleared the bumper & hood together. I let everything sit for a couple of days and then just went out bolted them on. While I was at it i hit the front skid plate with a little polish and shinned it up also.

The hood should really be made out of thicker material but I think it will be fine for a while until I can get something else made for it. I went around the edge of the metal with a piece of rubber edging so it wouldn't scratch the paint or the plastic on the Pilot and just made 4 brackets to hold it on, 2 with the front tub bolts holes and 2 with the front down tube bolts. If nothing else it will make a good pattern for the next one.. :-)

What do you all think? Is it ugly or does it looks presentable?

Attachments:
File comment: before..
!CID__1227001639.jpg
!CID__1227001639.jpg [ 234.11 KiB | Viewed 2160 times ]
File comment: after..
HPIM4285.JPG
HPIM4285.JPG [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 2160 times ]
HPIM4286.JPG
HPIM4286.JPG [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 2160 times ]
File comment: out in the sun..
HPIM4287.JPG
HPIM4287.JPG [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 2160 times ]
HPIM4288.JPG
HPIM4288.JPG [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 2160 times ]
HPIM4289.JPG
HPIM4289.JPG [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 2160 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pilot bumper & hood
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:00 pm 

Looks great. I bet that hood will be fine. beats spend over $100.00 for a hood. Nice work

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:07 pm 

Looks good to me big improvement whats next?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:16 pm 

I like the hood, it looks a hell of alot better than some ie mine.. nice job!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:18 pm 

Thanks guys.

Hoser, next on my want list for it is a Digitron & then a new clutch. You really got me wanting to upgrade my clutch after you commented about those big sand hills in that video I posted awhile back.

Thanks again,
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:58 pm 

rarerat wrote:
Thanks guys.

Hoser, next on my want list for it is a Digitron & then a new clutch. You really got me wanting to upgrade my clutch after you commented about those big sand hills in that video I posted awhile back.

Thanks again,
Nick

If it was me i would buy the clutch then new shock then the digitron. I would have never bought works shocks, but they were on my second pilot i bought and the ride is great - big improvement over stock. But then again i don't tear up the sand like you do - being here in illinois and riding trails with many bumps - I really like the smoother ride. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:05 pm 

Now it looks like it's time to polish up that plastic to match that pretty new hood and fresh bumper!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:06 pm 

messer what shocks are you using?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:16 pm 

davidafco wrote:
messer what shocks are you using?

I know they are works - rears have dual springs with resivors - I think fronts are also dual stage but no resivors. They were on the pilot when i bought it. The guy i bought it from said he would send the ivoice if he found it - but never did. It would be nice to know exactly what they are. I could post a closeup picture or two if you are interested.

you can see the rears here....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6646&p=57414&hilit=axle+stubs+from+hell#p57414

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:05 pm 

rmesser wrote:
rarerat wrote:
Thanks guys.

Thanks again,
Nick

If it was me i would buy the clutch then new shock then the digitron. I would have never bought works shocks, but they were on my second pilot i bought and the ride is great - big improvement over stock. But then again i don't tear up the sand like you do - being here in illinois and riding trails with many bumps - I really like the smoother ride. :-)

Thanks rmesser, Works shocks are also on the someday list. :-) I have ridden scpilot66's Pilot a few times and he has Works shocks front & back and they are really nice. It is just a shame they are so expensive, but I guess like anything else you get what you pay for. lol... I just built a new shop so I am pretty tapped out for a while unfortunatly. I just want to try and get the Digitron on it soon in hopes I can fend off a possible poof ka boom. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:09 pm 

Randman wrote:
Now it looks like it's time to polish up that plastic to match that pretty new hood and fresh bumper!

Rand

lol... I would love to spring for new plastic but then again there is that little money thing. :-) It normally doesn't look quite this bad but it hasn't been washed for a few months and the last couple of times I have ridden it, it was windy as hell and it's covered in about and inch of dust from top to bottom.

On second thought, it may just be easier to just scratch up the hood & bumper to match the rest of the Pilot. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:31 pm 

Well I was going to make the comment that the bumper at least is going to look like the rest of the plastic in a few months anyway! Kind of hard to avoid the sage brush in the desert!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:58 pm 

rarerat wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

lol... I would love to spring for new plastic but then again there is that little money thing. :-) It normally doesn't look quite this bad but it hasn't been washed for a few months and the last couple of times I have ridden it, it was windy as hell and it's covered in about and inch of dust from top to bottom.

On second thought, it may just be easier to just scratch up the hood & bumper to match the rest of the Pilot. :-)

Your Pilot plastic looks better than any of my installed Pilot plastic but I could care less how scratched and busted up it is not going to any Pilot shows, I bought my Pilot the front fenders were broken off so it had no fenders, I bought new cracked one of them the first few months I owned it, new plastic will be installed the day I sell it or the current plastic is no longer able to stay on the Pilot :-)

I hit mine with the buffer and polishing compound about once per season to knock some of the dull off but its usually dull again after 500 miles off road, I cover some of the cracks and holes with red duct tape so that gets freshened up once a year or so too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:30 pm 

Wow just painting it red from silver is a big change. Looks fantastic. What brand is the front bumper? I really like how it looks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:15 am 

i think it looks pretty good. i need some kind of hood on my 350

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:18 am 

I dig it man. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:33 pm 

shoubadaba,
I'm not sure what brand the bumper is, it was already on the Pilot when I bought it last year.

Thanks again Guys.