Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:22 am 

Spent the weekend sorting out an idleing issue,that is would'nt idle cept for manually increasing throttle.
Something not right and initially thought ASSumed was the main cable mighta slipped back a bit.
The idle was like a real lumpy cam. :shock: Then after a bit,a splurge of fuel rained down from under the carb.
Checking showed that the OEM ACcarb drain tube had let go,all cracked up and split.
So ASSumed that was my prob? Lucky it let go here home instead of on the race track or beach wherever.
Made up some std fuel hose and plugs from cutdown SS allen key bolts,for longevity reliability sake.
BUT still had the idle prob!
Noticed the mag side carb idle screw would up the tach readings but not the PTO carb idle screw...WTF!
Then took off the fuel supply hose to veryfy fuel to carb spigot,and was OK.
Then pulled carb off and bowl to check,and no fuel in bowl...Eureka! Must be stuck float,and it was.
So serviced the carb,blew all the carb holes etc. Had to make a locking plate for the choke main screw as it had none.
Manual shows a D shaped plate under main choke screw down.Had some scrap polished S/S kitchen flue to make one from.
Assembled all back on,hit the key and idled straight away,as my custom fuel tank being above the carbs primes the carbs instantly.

Attachments:
dsc04537.jpg
dsc04537.jpg [ 65.1 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
File comment: OEM drain tubes deteriorated.
dsc04530.jpg
dsc04530.jpg [ 78.18 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
File comment: My new setup.
dsc04538.jpg
dsc04538.jpg [ 71.46 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
File comment: Last month of winter,finally got a sunny weekend,pissin down today Tuesday.
dsc04547.jpg
dsc04547.jpg [ 106.09 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
dsc04543.jpg
dsc04543.jpg [ 86.94 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
dsc04546.jpg
dsc04546.jpg [ 79.15 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:28 am 

So the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) was actually running/idling just from 1 cylinder.
Care needs to be taken when knocking out the float plate pin.
Used a long socket to support the carb pin structure from pin strike extraction.

PS...ASSumptions are STILL the Mother of all stuffups!

Attachments:
File comment: Supporting the tower.
dsc04550.jpg
dsc04550.jpg [ 71.89 KiB | Viewed 1054 times ]
File comment: New SS choke locking plate
dsc04559.jpg
dsc04559.jpg [ 57.56 KiB | Viewed 1054 times ]
File comment: Choke installed with new locking plate underneath.
dsc04562.jpg
dsc04562.jpg [ 62.8 KiB | Viewed 1054 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:47 am 

Love your work Baz

Nice and neat.

Mate you need a shed and a Work bench.

But then again working out in the Oz Sun is a Plus

and as you said never assume

wyeeoddy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 am 

Nice you caught it. How long was it running like this? I'd just check compression on the PTO to be sure nothing wore out from fuel starvation. Sounds to be you caught it before you actually ran it around though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:45 am 

Thanks Adrian.Have large blokeshed but it always ends up being full with other crap.Besides it's nice in the pool area...close to the porch keganator mate! :-)
ZC yeah it's a good thing when bad crap happens at home and not at 8000rpm on the dunes somewhere.
Yes had same thougjts as you and did comp test and came thru ok.
I was worried it might have been run on last trip like this but doesn't appear so....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:04 pm 

With all that HP that some of you guys got in your machines, how do you not have any epic wrecks to post ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:02 pm 

One thing to check. A neighbor brought by a CRF80 last week which would run, and then just stop/cut out and be very hard to start. I found the fuel bowl was dry, but after tapping the carb with the blunt end of a screw driver it started getting fuel and would run again for a little while. Then it stopped again and would not get fuel at all. So I thought - bad needle/seat right? Nope. This time the float was slightly bent and it was getting hung up on the inside of the carb/bowl and rubbing. You could see the rub mark on the inside of the bowl and the metal float. A quick few bends, reset of float height, and she's been perfect since.

Profile E-mail