Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilot Resurrection
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:09 pm 

We finally got the pilot up and running. For us, Brooks and I, this started out as the $1000 pilot the we picked up several years ago. It was in pretty rough shape. Engine was no good, plastic broken, missing brake components, bent up cage. Brooks started by stripping it down to every last nut and bolt, sandblasted everything and painted it up and offed it to me. I decided to install the polaris indy 500 motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) that was in the briggs car into the pilot. I tuned it down a bit by putting smaller carbs and pipe to match. I want this to be a good reliable trail machine vs all out performance. I did not remove any of the factory Engine mounting locations. Made up some tabs and welded one to the frame next to the stock mount in the front, used the other stock mount as a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount and mounted a steel plate that get tied in and welded to the stock front transmission mount. THis way the Engine and trans. move as one unit and helps eliminate belt misalignment. The Engine sit up about 2 1/2 inches. This allows for the exhaust to run under the right side of the Engine (recoil starter). The pipe is a slightly modified indy 500 pipe. Silencer is a worked over stock banshee spark arrestor. Running the pipe up and out the right side required me to remake the shifter cables, which was fine since the pilot cables were no good and not available. I had a set of FL350 shifter and cables that worked well by making a bracket to raise the shifter 3" to clear the Engine (350 cables are shorter) then made a mount for the cables on top of the trans. The radiator is the old aluminum radiator that I had on the briggs car, mounted on an angle so my head and seat don't block off air flow. I made the gas tank, holds around 4.2gal. It looked real good until I pressure tested it and then had to go back over and reweld on top of existing weld (welds are big) Hood, bumper, and full belly skid plate I made up. Put all new brakes, wheel bearings, CV boots, trans seal and gaskets, and rebuilt the master cylinders. I havn't done anything with the suspension since I plan on upgrading it. I used a FL350 key switch as they have contacts with continuity when turned to off. this allowed my to kill the ignition with the key and the controls on the steering yoke. Added angle iron pieces to the suspension arms and the rear of the frame (like the briggs car). The seat is something I found on the side of the road (literally). I made up a set of drop mounts on it to lower it about 1" for better head clearance. The mounts are still well above the front suspesnion cradle but I wanted more safety so I made up the belly pan. The fan is a modified stock pilot unit. I am using the stock driven clutch with a 1114 belt. I still have a bunch of odds and ends to take care of like tieing up cables/wires, get that damn digitron tack to work so I can see where the clutching really is, seat in the brakes, set up a primer valve. Hopefully there won't be too many bugs to work out. Sure wish I had a big flat dirt oval to test it all out on..LOL then I could sell the kit.

Attachments:
pilot front - day purchased (Small).jpg
pilot front - day purchased (Small).jpg [ 50.73 KiB | Viewed 6195 times ]
pilot back (Small).jpg
pilot back (Small).jpg [ 40.13 KiB | Viewed 6195 times ]
P1010189 (Small).JPG
P1010189 (Small).JPG [ 73.72 KiB | Viewed 6195 times ]
pilot broken fender (Small).jpg
pilot broken fender (Small).jpg [ 56.25 KiB | Viewed 6195 times ]
PICT0010 (Small).JPG
PICT0010 (Small).JPG [ 37.93 KiB | Viewed 6195 times ]
PICT0011 (Small).JPG
PICT0011 (Small).JPG [ 27.19 KiB | Viewed 6195 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:11 pm 

some more pics

Attachments:
PICT0012 (Small).JPG
PICT0012 (Small).JPG [ 46.3 KiB | Viewed 6193 times ]
PICT0013 (Small).JPG
PICT0013 (Small).JPG [ 51.44 KiB | Viewed 6193 times ]
PICT0014 (Small).JPG
PICT0014 (Small).JPG [ 40.59 KiB | Viewed 6193 times ]
PICT0015 (Small).JPG
PICT0015 (Small).JPG [ 28.29 KiB | Viewed 6193 times ]
PICT0016 (Small).JPG
PICT0016 (Small).JPG [ 54.01 KiB | Viewed 6193 times ]
PICT0017 (Small).JPG
PICT0017 (Small).JPG [ 56.92 KiB | Viewed 6193 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pilot Resurrection
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:08 am 

Any updates?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:11 am 

King Kx wrote:
some more pics

Do you have a thread for this build? I have the exact same Engine and was looking for some guidance when it comes swap time.

Profile E-mail