Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:51 am 

The long travel pilot project evolved into many revisions. It began as an installation of an unknown long travel kit. Installation was very straight forward. I also installed a different trans with the 7/8" keyed shaft that allowed for the 790 driven. This is the same clutch the 350's use. I also run this on the briggs car. Now I can tune off the driven unlike the stock pilot driven if I need to. I made a larger gas tank. Just a hair over 5 gal, made a new expansion pipe and headpipe assembly, installed a different radiator and shrouds, and a new air box set up. I've only driven around the back yard a little bit to test the long travel. Night and day difference suspension wise. I through a couple studs in some spare rear 22" realators and hit a good size lake. I wanted to check out some clutching and see how the new pipe was going to work out. Even with the shorter tires, the top speed is noticeably faster with the 790. I do need to make a few clutch adjustments. It was 21 degrees out and I could not get the water temp over 110! I ran it for 2.5hrs WOT (Wide Open Throttle) most of the time and that burned off 4.5 gal of gas. Here is a video of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mc1bq8YREU

Couldn't really test out the rear suspension but it did soak up the ice piles from the ice fisherman nicely. The snow in the middle of the lake was about 6", the edges had 8-12".

Attachments:
001_Vga.JPG
001_Vga.JPG [ 75.29 KiB | Viewed 2577 times ]
005_Vga.JPG
005_Vga.JPG [ 84.41 KiB | Viewed 2577 times ]
006_Vga.JPG
006_Vga.JPG [ 84.63 KiB | Viewed 2577 times ]
002_Vga.JPG
002_Vga.JPG [ 67.06 KiB | Viewed 2577 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:24 am 

Any problems getting the helix to clear the trans?

How many RPM's WOT (Wide Open Throttle) ?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:37 pm 

Had to grind the tit off the neutral switch and solder a wire directly to the terminal. Other than that it was straight forward. WOT (Wide Open Throttle) on the flat ice is 7600rpm. WOT (Wide Open Throttle) on snow covered ice (more load on the Engine) 7200rpm. I need to get it to 7900-8000rpm for this Engine to come alive, this Engine is very peaky and has low torque down low. I did not mess with the jetting other than putting a big jet in it and ran it. Ran 1025ish WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Ran much crisper 1/2-3/4 throttle at 1200 degrees. I'll mess with the jetting once the weather is more consistent to my normal riding conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:56 pm 

King Kx wrote:
Had to grind the tit off the neutral switch and solder a wire directly to the terminal. Other than that it was straight forward. WOT (Wide Open Throttle) on the flat ice is 7600rpm. WOT (Wide Open Throttle) on snow covered ice (more load on the Engine) 7200rpm. I need to get it to 7900-8000rpm for this Engine to come alive, this Engine is very peaky and has low torque down low. I did not mess with the jetting other than putting a big jet in it and ran it. Ran 1025ish WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Ran much crisper 1/2-3/4 throttle at 1200 degrees. I'll mess with the jetting once the weather is more consistent to my normal riding conditions.

The next time you have the driven off measure the length of the shaft sticking out of the trans for me, I used a input shaft from Roberto and I ended up having to cut some of that aluminum off the trans and trim down the helix to clear my RPM shaft must be shorter than the one you used.

At the dunes I seen a max of about 7500 PRM and when I put the paddles on it dropped a few hundred RPM's I have been running about these RPM's since I went to the 440, my Engine stock is design to run at 8700 I can only imagine how much better it will would run if it was their, to get their I will need to get some different springs just taking weight out of the primary is not going to do it the Engine just revs I need it to upshift faster too, guys that used the Engine I have for enduro sled racing turned it up to 10,500 RPM :shock: and use to run 4 hrs enduros, right now I don't see a need to turn up the RPM's past what I have been running it still pulls harder and faster than any modified Pilot I have seen... If I was going to race that's a different story I would crank the RPMs up until the pipe I am using hit a wall then back it down a little.

That LT kit came with the shocks your using?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:28 pm 

Yes the long travel kit came with those shocks. Don't know any of the specs on them, other than the obvious, fox coil overs, reservoirs, rebound adjusters and that they seem to work better than old rusty leaky stockers that were on there. I don't know how old they are, they use the snap ring method for the preload adjustment vs a threaded body with a spanner nut.

I put together the larger expansion pipe because I felt the old pipe was holding me back before. I had this Engine in the briggs car before and had the clutching dialed in on it so I know it will go, swapping it into the pilot is like starting over from scratch except this time I know were I have to get to, to make it perform well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:21 pm 

King that machine looks great!
how wide is the Pilot with this setup?
Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:02 pm 

Yea Mark. Pilot looks mean with the long travel and wheel package! Great job. Night and day difference from a few years ago!

Attachments:
pilot front - day purchased.jpg
pilot front - day purchased.jpg [ 211.09 KiB | Viewed 2238 times ]
pilot right side - day purchased.jpg
pilot right side - day purchased.jpg [ 230.74 KiB | Viewed 2238 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:59 pm 

go oddy wrote:
Regards

It is 66 1/4" wide from edge of tire to edge of tire. Just a little to wide to fit in the back of the pick up now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:47 pm 

King Kx wrote:
go oddy wrote:
Regards

It is 66 1/4" wide from edge of tire to edge of tire. Just a little to wide to fit in the back of the pick up now.

Well aint that a shame, just take it off and send it down here to Texas, where we have bigger trucks and wide open spaces... Pretty son that ol lake will melt and you won't have any big places to ride...

LOL Looks good Man!!! When you going to visit Brooks? We need to get him out of the house and running some fuel thru that EEE LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:00 pm 

We need to get him out of the house and running some fuel thru that EEE LOL[/quote]

That is what I tell him. With all that land at his back door, I was expecting him to send me worn out engines to repair on a regular basis.

You should bring that 2 seat pete out here with the pilot, then we can see if that pilot goes faster than the cracking ice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:46 pm 

King Kx wrote:
We need to get him out of the house and running some fuel thru that EEE LOL

That is what I tell him. With all that land at his back door, I was expecting him to send me worn out engines to repair on a regular basis.

You should bring that 2 seat pete out here with the pilot, then we can see if that pilot goes faster than the cracking ice.[/quote]

Are you Nucking Futs??? I am in South Carolina and it's 24 degrees in the morning??? I am looking for Al Gore hoping he can tell me where to got for this warming he is talking about??? I will buy a ticket to see it!!!

:shock: Cracking Ice??? :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:27 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
King Kx wrote:

You should bring that 2 seat pete out here with the pilot, then we can see if that pilot goes faster than the cracking ice.

Are you Nucking Futs??? I am in South Carolina and it's 24 degrees in the morning??? I am looking for Al Gore hoping he can tell me where to got for this warming he is talking about??? I will buy a ticket to see it!!!

:shock: Cracking Ice??? :shock:[/quote]

They proved global warming to be a farce http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/view ... de+decline

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:44 pm 

You know if I brought the pete that far north, we would have two pilots and a EEE West Bound!!! Brooks would shit wouldn't he LOL

King Kx wrote:

You should bring that 2 seat pete out here with the pilot, then we can see if that pilot goes faster than the cracking ice.[/quote]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:59 pm 

King Kx wrote:
Yes the long travel kit came with those shocks. Don't know any of the specs on them, other than the obvious, fox coil overs, reservoirs, rebound adjusters and that they seem to work better than old rusty leaky stockers that were on there. I don't know how old they are, they use the snap ring method for the preload adjustment vs a threaded body with a spanner nut.

I put together the larger expansion pipe because I felt the old pipe was holding me back before. I had this Engine in the briggs car before and had the clutching dialed in on it so I know it will go, swapping it into the pilot is like starting over from scratch except this time I know were I have to get to, to make it perform well.

Actually these are compression adjusters according to the guy that rebuilt mine...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:30 pm 

I'll have to play with them and see how they react to the adjustments. Seems like every time I go to take the pilot out something comes up at the last minute to prevent me from having fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:17 pm 

King Kx wrote:
I'll have to play with them and see how they react to the adjustments. Seems like every time I go to take the pilot out something comes up at the last minute to prevent me from having fun.

You do much playing on the ice I had my kid remove a bunch of them ice racing screws from 4 tires I had, I forget how many but it just about filled a coffee can, think the son said the rears had like 600 screws in them at least another 300 in the fronts, a 1000 maybe?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 pm 

I have more free time in the winter so I have the time to go play on the ice. I never worried much doing it on bikes, but the pilot has always been a little more nerve racking. What do you do if the ice breaks and you are strapped in to a cage. I have a coffee can full of screws but surprisingly don't need many on a pilot. The bikes take a lot of screws. Take them out in the late winter and put them back in around x-mas. They seem to last and stay put so I keep reusing them.