Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I have a story to tell!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:25 pm 

Hi Guys,
Fed and I went to the Pawnee riding area just over the Colorado boarder today. Its basically a 2-3 mile long, wide dry drainage with 20-30 ft walls. We were exploring several feeder/fingers climbing up and down the walls. I was leading on my new(1986 so new to me)ATC250R when I went up the trailthat went up the wall in the picture below. As I topped the rim there was no level area up there(quite to my suprise), just a 10 foot verticle drop then another 10 foot or so steep angled decent. I was thinking as I was nosing over, "Oh, this is going to end badly, hope I don't break any bones!" I pushed off the 3-wheeler and tried to land feet first to the right. Ouch, sprained the right ankle but, semi-close, now tuck and roll. Ouch, there goes the left wrist. Well one more tuck and roll should about do it. Aw crap, here comes the 3-wheeler leaning towards me. A little push and it lands back on its wheels and starts driving away, lucky me I thought. Well at least I stopped bouncing. CRUNCH! I looked behind me, Theres Fed rolling from his roof back to to his wheels and heading straight for me. I am on my side, flat on the ground. "Oh crap, this figures, I didn't get hurt too bad from my crash, now I am about to get run over by a 350 odyssey". I just had enough time to pull my arms back in before he rolled up on me. Actually, it didn't hurt. It tore a big gapeing hole thru my Carhart coveralls and thru my jeans, stopping against my wallet. It never left a mark on me. Fed later told me he seen the look of terror in my eyes just before he run into me. A couple of dirtbikers rode up to check us out just after it happened.
We rode back to camp, counted all the fingers and toes, ate lunch and went back with the camera to take pictures of the spot. I rode my nice safe Odyssey the rest of the day. End of the story! And the moral of the story is..... ?????????

1. look before you ride
2. Ride with a roll cage
3. don't do stupid things(I didn't think I was)
4.?????????????

feel free to add to it

Its all fun now that we didn't get hurt too bad

Attachments:
File comment: Looking where we went up
trail up2.JPG
trail up2.JPG [ 46.61 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]
File comment: A side view of the hill that I thought was a drainage wall
side.JPG
side.JPG [ 78.14 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]
File comment: Looking down the hill
looking down.JPG
looking down.JPG [ 80.17 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]
File comment: Looking back up
looking back up.JPG
looking back up.JPG [ 55.52 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]
File comment: Another look
fed at bottom.JPG
fed at bottom.JPG [ 58.06 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]
File comment: My torn ass
torn ass.JPG
torn ass.JPG [ 75.13 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]
File comment: Feds tweeked cage
Feds cage.JPG
Feds cage.JPG [ 78.78 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]
File comment: Feds "Vroom" lid #2, cracked but it took the brunt of the wreck!
Feds roof.JPG
Feds roof.JPG [ 75.84 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]
File comment: OH my cherry ATC, Bent the hanlebars, cracked the headlight plastic and knocked loose 1 radiator shroud (not too bad)
250R handlebars2.JPG
250R handlebars2.JPG [ 59.11 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:19 am 

Glad to see you guys in one piece :-) gary your lucky you had those rough tough carhardts on.Otherwise it might have been a little more painfull.I learned the same thing years ago with my old rm 250's,look and ride easy anywhere you go first especially before ripping around at 70 mph.I would allways go through trails or tracks and note where what was first .Although hindsight is twenty twenty when thing go wrong. Wonder what was going thru Feds mind when he noticed there was no earth below.
Looks like the Vroom tool top handle the impact pretty well considering the damage to the roll cage.again glad to see all fingers and toes in one place.The damage to the vehicles and carhartd can be fixed of course by the undamaged wallet that is soon to be damaged by loss of greenbacks :shock: :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:21 am 

Are you going to need a top rollcage by chance, I just picked one up and it was going to be a spare but if you need it I can work something out for you, let me know if needed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:27 pm 

WOW glad you guys are ok, I done something about like that year ago on my 83 ATC250R,
a friend and I were riding at a local gravel pit (he had a FL250) we rode there all day
Saturday entered and left in the same place, we came back on Sunday about noon
we entered the same way but when I got to the top of this 30' tall hill they had
dug out the other side so it was a 10' drop off, using my cat like reflexes I bailed
off the ATC, it rolled and bent the bars and the steering stop tab allowing the bars to
dent my tank (see pics) lucky for me my buddy seen me disappear to fast and
knew something was wrong so didnt go up the hill, lesson I learned that day was
never assume the trail! All that being said I almost blew it again here LMAO
http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=1601

The guy that dug out the hill seen us trying to bend my bars back and came over to see
what happen, I told him and he apologized and fixed the hill for us like it was, he didnt
realize we used that route to access the pit.

You can straighten that cage just use a jack and 2x4 locate it like the green line in the
pic, put something between the bottom tube and the ground so you don't bend the lower
tube heh I have bent my Pilot cage like that a few times and was able to straighten it.

Attachments:
feds_cage-fix.jpg
feds_cage-fix.jpg [ 79.15 KiB | Viewed 4844 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:39 pm 

Here is the ATC carnage pics

Attachments:
File comment: Now hits the tank
DSC01625.JPG
DSC01625.JPG [ 55.53 KiB | Viewed 4842 times ]
File comment: Here is where it bent the stop, I took a hammer and punch to drive some of it back.
DSC01627.JPG
DSC01627.JPG [ 50.02 KiB | Viewed 4842 times ]
File comment: Its still close to hitting but being able to turn tighter is nice...
DSC01630.JPG
DSC01630.JPG [ 49.1 KiB | Viewed 4842 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:56 pm 

Fed and both had a good laugh about it back at the parking lot. Thanks for the offer Mudbogger, I'll ask Fed. Thanks for the cage straightening tip Kelly. I am just too sore and gimpy to give everything a good going thru right now. My neck really stiffened up over night. I am getting too old to bounce like that. LOL I am still giggling about the whole thing. Wish we could have caught that on tape. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:54 pm 

That is the most violent crash I've ever been through. Somebody asked "I wonder what Fed thought when he didn't see any earth"...... First of all, I thought I was going slow enough to just roll over the top, but apparently my sense of overall land speed is off. (I did something incredibly similar off a 40' dune at Little Sahara in May!) That being said, turns out it didn't matter WHAT SPEED I was doing; when it's a sheer F'ing cliff on the other side, you're screwed! So now I'm going over and it's like....Oh shit....this is BAD!! :shock: I could see that I was DEFINITELY going to roll her over, so I just braced myself and closed my eyes immediately before impact. WHAM!!! I new I LANDED right on the roof. No front bumper involved, no front wheels touching the ground, I was ass over tea kettle. So after I hear my helmet stop thrashing around in the cage, I open my eyes...to my amazement, the buggy has righted itself, the Engine is running, and I'm slowly rolling down the rest of the decent.....except there's one problem, I see my buddy racked out in front of me with a look of shear terror in his eyes. I'm so "out of it" I can't even apply the brakes in time. Oh crap....I'm gonna run over him!! Yep, front wheels come to rest right on him. I use my body weight to rock the machine back off him and I all pile out, do damage assessments of both machine and flesh, and we proceed to laugh our asses off. I'm still laughing about the whole ordeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:57 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:
Fed and both had a good laugh about it back at the parking lot. Thanks for the offer Mudbogger, I'll ask Fed. Thanks for the cage straightening tip Kelly. I am just too sore and gimpy to give everything a good going thru right now. My neck really stiffened up over night. I am getting too old to bounce like that. LOL I am still giggling about the whole thing. Wish we could have caught that on tape. :shock:

You have any more pics of that riding area from what I can see in the back ground it looks
like a good place to ride?

Could the place possibly be a stop over on the way back from Killpecker or other parts west?

What town is close to this area?

Camping?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:01 pm 

Fed wrote:
That is the most violent crash I've ever been through. Somebody asked "I wonder what Fed thought when he didn't see any earth"...... First of all, I thought I was going slow enough to just roll over the top, but apparently my sense of overall land speed is off. (I did something incredibly similar off a 40' dune at Little Sahara in May!) That being said, turns out it didn't matter WHAT SPEED I was doing; when it's a sheer F'ing cliff on the other side, you're screwed! So now I'm going over and it's like....Oh shit....this is BAD!! :shock: I could see that I was DEFINITELY going to roll her over, so I just braced myself and closed my eyes immediately before impact. WHAM!!! I new I LANDED right on the roof. No front bumper involved, no front wheels touching the ground, I was ass over tea kettle. So after I hear my helmet stop thrashing around in the cage, I open my eyes...to my amazement, the buggy has righted itself, the Engine is running, and I'm slowly rolling down the rest of the decent.....except there's one problem, I see my buddy racked out in front of me with a look of shear terror in his eyes. I'm so "out of it" I can't even apply the brakes in time. Oh crap....I'm gonna run over him!! Yep, front wheels come to rest right on him. I use my body weight to rock the machine back off him and I all pile out, do damage assessments of both machine and flesh, and we proceed to laugh our asses off. I'm still laughing about the whole ordeal.

Once again it looks like the vroom storage compartment held up really well in a roll over,
no doubt it would be easy to repair being its made from fiberglass.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:21 pm 

I must say-I,m very impressed with that lid-I wish I had bought 1 now, that thing took quite a hit!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:49 pm 

Stop by the next trip up here. Pawnee is only around 20 miles south of Cheyenne Wy. The parking lot is near the center south side of the drainage. After dropping into the canyon, you can go west about a mile or east up to 1 1/2 miles. Several big and small feeders(fingers) going into the drainage. Tons of shoots up and down the walls, humps, jumps and neat trails. It has no camping or restrooms but it does have Colorado Rangers looking to write tickets so have your vehicles registered(and no riding outside the riding area/boundries). Its a pretty cool area but a bit dusty. That is where I got the video clips of me doing wheelies and snapping another axle last year. Here are some pics of the area that I have. I'll take somemore next trip(soon).

Attachments:
File comment: Only action picture I took, and there is soooo much better jumps everywhere
Fed jumping a small hump.JPG
Fed jumping a small hump.JPG [ 44.83 KiB | Viewed 4803 times ]
File comment: Feds trying out the Blackwaters. You can see the canyon(West end)
Feds with Blackwaters.JPG
Feds with Blackwaters.JPG [ 72.83 KiB | Viewed 4803 times ]
File comment: My Odyssey near where we crashed
Pawnee Badlands.JPG
Pawnee Badlands.JPG [ 62.65 KiB | Viewed 4803 times ]
File comment: Another angle (West end)
Pawnee badlands 2.JPG
Pawnee badlands 2.JPG [ 59.38 KiB | Viewed 4803 times ]
File comment: In the parking lot facing East, you can't hardly see the canyon
Unloaded.JPG
Unloaded.JPG [ 69.53 KiB | Viewed 4803 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:57 pm 

Beautiful area you have out there, mabye in the spring if I get my ass in gear I'll stop by Hosers place, then hit that area as well as Little Sahara.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:58 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:
Stop by the next trip up here. Pawnee is only around 20 miles south of Cheyenne Wy. The parking lot is near the center south side of the drainage. After dropping into the canyon, you can go west about a mile or east up to 1 1/2 miles. Several big and small feeders(fingers) going into the drainage. Tons of shoots up and down the walls, humps, jumps and neat trails. It has no camping or restrooms but it does have Colorado Rangers looking to write tickets so have your vehicles registered(and no riding outside the riding area/boundries). Its a pretty cool area but a bit dusty. That is where I got the video clips of me doing wheelies and snapping another axle last year. Here are some pics of the area that I have. I'll take somemore next trip(soon).

Looks like a good place to stop and check out even if its only for a short day trip,
Cheyene would be a good place to stop for the night if I am not going to drive
straight through to get back home, think its about 16 hrs from here to Cheyene...

Out of state stickers ok there?

How much are the WY stickers?

How much are the CO stickers? (Drakman told me but I forget heh)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:38 pm 

I'll ask about out of state stickers the next ranger I see. I do know they honor Wyoming stickers, which are $15.

From Cheyenne, Rock Springs is about 4 hrs, Seminole is about 2.5 hrs, Walden is about 1.5 hrs, Pawnee and Veedavoo are both about 30 minutes, not to mention all the smaller riding areas around here. I have plenty of room for campers and trailers and you guys are always welcome to stop by.

Beautiful area? Different for sure and great for jumping and climbing, but a little rough for 350 suspensions without Works shocks. We have much better National forest trails to ride for scenery. Send me your addresses and I'll send you some Wyoming ORV trail maps.

Attachments:
File comment: My torn Carharts and blue jeans from being runover. Good thing I forgot to remove my wallet, it stopped what ever it was! LOL
torn ass.JPG
torn ass.JPG [ 75.13 KiB | Viewed 4732 times ]