Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:05 pm 

Made another purchase, this time from member Vroom. This pilot interested me as it is basically all stock with the exception of the air filter and harnesses. The Pilot is a great example of a well maintained Pilot with limited mods. The Pilot arrived today at 10:00 am and after a brief discussion with the driver Tom(he has to pick up another pilot I bought yesterday), I set up in the garage for a quick CSI.
First things first, compression check. Stone cold it is 135 psi. After checking with Vroom the jug is on the first overbore with 7-10 hrs of ride time on it. I would imagine that psi is low for a fresh bore so mabye the rings have not seated properly. If I need to install a new set of rings I will, no biggie. Rear suspension power arms on the right side are both bent,and the air filter is totally clogged with dirt. I pulled the slide and it is in remarkable great shape, so the filter did its job. I will replace with a new 1. When purchased this Pilot had a dual air inlet airbox lid, I quickly went back to the stock lid and intake as the carb is totally stock inside and out. The Engine looks like it has been rebuilt as I see RTV on the side case for the pull start and the gaskets look fresh around the reeds as well.
Coolant looks great and fresh, the rear bearing carrier were tight, the exhaust flange where the expansion chamber meets the flange is not leaking at all. Tires on the rear are in great shape, the front rims need some paint but are stock and are staying. The seat has a tear in it, again no biggie, got a replacement here. The frame seems straight, no hits. Front suspension arms and shocks are stock and all bushings, etc are excellent shape. Overall plastics are as to be expected, some cracks, zip tie here and there, all expected and no biggies.
I will look into heat cycling the Engine too see just how much the PSI goes, but I am hesitant to think it is going to get into an acceptable level. I plan to keep this pilot all stock, no mods other then upgrades to existing Engine. I intend on riding this at parks and stuff where the decibel levels are such that the other pilots cannot ride there. Plus I am trying to get my friends wife to ride with us too, this is the perfect ride for her.

Attachments:
Vroom Pilot 011.jpg
Vroom Pilot 011.jpg [ 72.83 KiB | Viewed 18664 times ]
Vroom Pilot 012.jpg
Vroom Pilot 012.jpg [ 54.12 KiB | Viewed 18664 times ]
Vroom Pilot 013.jpg
Vroom Pilot 013.jpg [ 49.19 KiB | Viewed 18664 times ]
Vroom Pilot 014.jpg
Vroom Pilot 014.jpg [ 76.24 KiB | Viewed 18664 times ]
Vroom Pilot 015.jpg
Vroom Pilot 015.jpg [ 73.42 KiB | Viewed 18664 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:21 pm 

Nice. So when will you line up all your inventory and snap a pic of your whole lot? With pilots starting to sell for pretty cheap you will have spare parts forever. Nice score on this one

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:39 pm 

I'm gonna own 1 pilot some day. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:40 pm 

More pictures. The Pilot will get a total servicing this week, and I will order a set of new Crow Harnesses as I prefer their 3 inch harnesses.The Pilot had a fiberglass hood(prototype) on it but I removed it quickly, I just did not like it. I will get a ATVR hood. I have a Hondaline rear bumper here sitting around, I might install on this ride.

Attachments:
Vroom Pilot 016.jpg
Vroom Pilot 016.jpg [ 68.62 KiB | Viewed 18660 times ]
Vroom Pilot 017.jpg
Vroom Pilot 017.jpg [ 48.41 KiB | Viewed 18660 times ]
Vroom Pilot 018.jpg
Vroom Pilot 018.jpg [ 68.35 KiB | Viewed 18660 times ]
Vroom Pilot 019.jpg
Vroom Pilot 019.jpg [ 68.19 KiB | Viewed 18660 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:42 pm 

More;

Attachments:
Vroom Pilot 020.jpg
Vroom Pilot 020.jpg [ 34.64 KiB | Viewed 18660 times ]
Vroom Pilot 021.jpg
Vroom Pilot 021.jpg [ 43.25 KiB | Viewed 18660 times ]
Vroom Pilot 022.jpg
Vroom Pilot 022.jpg [ 44.37 KiB | Viewed 18660 times ]
Vroom Pilot 023.jpg
Vroom Pilot 023.jpg [ 72.88 KiB | Viewed 18660 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:45 pm 

shoubadaba wrote:
Nice. So when will you line up all your inventory and snap a pic of your whole lot? With pilots starting to sell for pretty cheap you will have spare parts forever. Nice score on this one

You know with all my garages and storage it would take me a good day or 2 to get them all together. It would be a pain in the but for sure!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:18 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
I'm gonna own 1 pilot some day. :-)

ME TOO I JUST HOPE MUD DOESN'T BUY EM ALL BEFORE WE DO! LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:40 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
shoubadaba wrote:

You know with all my garages and storage it would take me a good day or 2 to get them all together. It would be a pain in the but for sure!

Oh I bet it would. Just thought I would throw that out there lol. Would be nice to see what a honda dealer looked like back 89 and 90.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:43 pm 

shoubadaba wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:
shoubadaba wrote:

Oh I bet it would. Just thought I would throw that out there lol. Would be nice to see what a honda dealer looked like back 89 and 90.

Lol I've been wanting to ask myself. Would be a sight to see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:42 pm 

got into this project today. First the compression was 135 cold, after warming it up it was checked again, not good, 138 psi. Took thr exhaust off looked up the flange at the piston, it is trashed, no way it can be saved, the top end needs to be removed and checked to see exactly what has happened as the top end is to have 7-10 hrs ride time on it. More to come.
I took the complete rear suspension off the Pilot, and then took the rear shafts out as well. The splines have never been touched and I am sure glad I did it, the trans splines were totally caked with trash, the both cv's had NO I MEAN NO grease in the boots at all, the things were dry. All the rear arms are bent, 1 rear shock shaft is bent (right side), the lugs for the rims are not all OEM, some are aftermarket and will not be used again, I will replace them. Rear caliper is in need of cleaning and fresh pads, the rear dics is worn badly and will be replaced.
The belt is the wrong belt and the wrong width, that is too be replaced as well. The stock clutch need some tlc as well, as does the trans mounts(there toast as well)it is all over the place loose.
More to come going back to it here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:44 pm 

Piston is junk, needs a bore, will send the entire Engine to Hoser. Screw it. I'll install the fresh rebuilt NY Pilot Engine in this 1. I will keep the stock carb, clutch, etc in it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:11 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Piston is junk, needs a bore, will send the entire Engine to Hoser. Screw it. I'll install the fresh rebuilt NY Pilot Engine in this 1. I will keep the stock carb, clutch, etc in it.

Remove the gas tank , seat radiator then pressure wash that Engine before removing,, that red
clay wont wash off here in my sink, send it dirty I will return it dirty.

don't forget to drain the coolant in both locations and the balancer oil :-)

Pilot needs a prefilter installed :shock:

He didnt wash it before he sold it to you :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:15 pm 

Took it out already Hoser but I spent some hrs cleaning it on the bench and in the yard. It should meet your requirements. I WILL CLEAN IT AGAIN WITH POWER WASHER FOR YOU!
Did you ship out that Turbo Engine by chance? I am thinking I will leave that Engine for this project instead.

The bore looks to uneven,pictures forthcoming. The piston is a Wiseco 80.5 mm, I took the head off to check it. Got the complete rear end all buttoned up, did the servicing on the cv's and axle stubs today. Completely washed and cleaned the air filter housing and installed new filter with the stock inlet.
Thread chased the seat bolts, as well as all mounting areas for exhaust and shrouds. Flushed the rad clean today. Changed the hoses for coolant system too(OEM).
Cleaned the expansion chamber end of the exhaust for an hr today getting that red clay off, and also took the rear caliper apart as it was leaking.
Pictures to come later

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:14 pm 

Here is a picture of the axle stub right after I took the boot off:

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 016.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 016.jpg [ 47.23 KiB | Viewed 18586 times ]

As you can see there is nothing in it. Both sides were like this. Dunno how it got to this point but it is fixed now.

Here is a picture of the axle stub after I pulled the clutch side:

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 012.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 012.jpg [ 105.81 KiB | Viewed 18586 times ]

Rear arms after removal. See how badly bent the 1 arm is:

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 014.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 014.jpg [ 105.13 KiB | Viewed 18586 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:20 pm 

Picture of the cleaned axle stub:

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 017.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 017.jpg [ 48.63 KiB | Viewed 18585 times ]

Picture of the stub before installation with the Hoser modification to prevent dirt and debris from getting back in the trans:

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 019.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 019.jpg [ 31.38 KiB | Viewed 18585 times ]

Link to that mod from Hoser's tech pages for you:

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=456

Picture of the completed rear suspension after complete cleaning, installation of rear arms, and axle replacements:

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 022.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 022.jpg [ 58.36 KiB | Viewed 18585 times ]

A look at the Hoser axle stub seal mod when properly installed:

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 021.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 021.jpg [ 35.44 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:27 pm 

Picture of the piston after head removal. I sprayed carb clean on a toothbrush to clean as little of the top as I could so we can get an idea of the piston wash.

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 025.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 025.jpg [ 75.83 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]

Look at the bore from above and through the exhaust ports:

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 025.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 025.jpg [ 75.83 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 026.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 026.jpg [ 23.86 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 029.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 029.jpg [ 35.94 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 030.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 030.jpg [ 17.58 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]

Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 031.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 031.jpg [ 27.29 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:31 pm 

Here is something 1 needs to think about. Say you get a flat tire on a ride, no real tools but what is supplied in the Honda kit. See anything wrong with this picture boys and girls? This stuff drives me nuts!!! Before and after pics:

Before:
Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 020.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 020.jpg [ 40.23 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]

After:
Attachment:
Vroom pilot pics 023.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 023.jpg [ 50.64 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]

Always nice to have 1 size 17mm lugs in case of this!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:33 pm 

Engine bay before cleaning. It had a ton of red clay/sand everywhere:

Attachments:
Vroom pilot pics 015.jpg
Vroom pilot pics 015.jpg [ 54.42 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:50 am 

scrub the Engine bay down last night..
disassembled and clean the carburetor out. it is all stock internally.
Took several hours yesterday and scrubbed the Engine itself down with pressure washer ans several toothbrushes. It is nice and clean now hoser
!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:49 pm 

Engine to go to Hosers for complete rebuild as soon as the Turbo Engine gets here, which will be installed in this Pilot.
All hardware associated with the install is cleaned and ready. Rear caliper is rebuilt and all associated hardware as well cleaned and ready to go.
Will be leaving the Pilot stock, clutch, carb, reeds, everything stock.
Crow harnesses are ordered as well, blue in color.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:58 pm 

Need the pull start and reeds, intake off this Engine for the new Turbo Engine install, just a FYI to myself anf Hoser. I am running stock OEM carb and need the OEM intake unlike my other Pilots that run the larger modified intakes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:31 am 

Installed the old TurboTexas Engine in the Pilot yesterday:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12462" .".." .".." ."..

I needed a reed cage and recoil for the new Engine so I pulled them off the old Vroom Engine. When doing this I discovered the reed cage had no-I mean none- adhesive on it, it basicly was just 2 gaskets between the cages:

Attachment:
Vroom pilot install 002.jpg
Vroom pilot install 002.jpg [ 39.09 KiB | Viewed 18473 times ]

Probably been sucking air for many rides. I also noticed there appears to be no adhesive on the jug gasket as well, which leads me to believe the top end work performed for Vroom may have contributed to the damage to the piston and rings. The old Engine appears to have a mechanic that believed silicone is the way to seal an Engine too.
The reeds were totally shot-I noticed it immediately after removal from the Engine:

Attachment:
Vroom pilot install 004.jpg
Vroom pilot install 004.jpg [ 34.21 KiB | Viewed 18473 times ]

Attachment:
Vroom pilot install 003.jpg
Vroom pilot install 003.jpg [ 53.32 KiB | Viewed 18473 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:33 am 

After seating the rings yesterday I took for a quick ride in the yard. It is amazing how quiet the stock exhaust can be.Considering the carb is from 1989 it idled well, the idle circuit is ok but the slide and carb throat has a touch of wear on it so for a carb from 1989 it idled great. It is weird to admit but in all the years of owning Pilots I have never ever had a totally stock 1 so the little nuances like sounds, etc. I also used an old set of harnesses off TurboTexas PPE 350 yellow in color and i have to admit it looks pretty good indeed. I may actually install that old Hondaline rear bumper off TurboTexas Pilot on this 1 today-might as well!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:55 pm 

I know what you mean. Our last dunes trip last month I took my new pilot out and it was 100% stock and I was amazed how fast it was and quiet bone stock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:33 pm 

Had a bit of a reality check today. As with all used atv's we buy your going to have blips. After spending a good part of Saturday completely taking the rear suspension out, replacing arms, doing the maintenance on the cv's, etc I had the right side trans seal go bad while just cruising around my yard, and I also had a cv boot catch something and caused a small hole(I am thinking it was a defective one as I just replaced it yesterday)so I had to completely take the right side suspension back off today.
Also, I had a really bad front brake lever(not rear as I previously posted) and after trying to adjust I went in 100%. What a mess, the front brakes were totally caked with the red clay we have seen in this thread, I mean totally packed the adjusters could not have moved even if I wanted them too-I had to completely strip, clean and replace the front shoes, now they work great!

Here is a picture of the trans seal removal, many here know how this is performed, but for newbies looking at the post the information is useful.
Trans seal with the axle removed:

Attachment:
Vroom trans seal replacement 005.jpg
Vroom trans seal replacement 005.jpg [ 47.8 KiB | Viewed 18458 times ]

2 small holes are drilled into the sides of the seals, and self tapping screws are lightly screwed in, don't go too much as it may hit the bearing-you have to be careful were you drill into the old seal so look at the location I drilled, you can see 2 larger holes I used too big of a self tapping screw and had to go smaller.

Attachment:
Vroom trans seal replacement 006.jpg
Vroom trans seal replacement 006.jpg [ 41.83 KiB | Viewed 18458 times ]

The axle popped right out when pressure was applied by hand, that was a good deal for sure! Here is a picture of the hole I discovered today. I was pretty frustrated to say the least.

Attachment:
Vroom trans seal replacement 004.jpg
Vroom trans seal replacement 004.jpg [ 23.87 KiB | Viewed 18458 times ]

I got it all back together in about 2 1/2 hrs total time-it was so dam humid here I had enough and called it a day. Here is a picture of the Engine installed for records.

Attachment:
Vroom trans seal replacement 002.jpg
Vroom trans seal replacement 002.jpg [ 42.83 KiB | Viewed 18458 times ]

Attachment:
Vroom trans seal replacement 001.jpg
Vroom trans seal replacement 001.jpg [ 74.57 KiB | Viewed 18458 times ]

Profile E-mail