Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:48 pm 

Yes sir, I made another purchase this week. This thread will be updated in the coming weeks.This is the thread on the Pilot purchased:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12263" ."..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:44 pm 

So whats the record for you on pilot purchases in one week? I really like the look of that lexan front hood.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:59 pm 

I purchased 4 in 1 week if my memory serves me correctly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:26 pm 

Throttle pilot arrived today here. After getting it into the garage i stated in checkin it over. First thing compression check, cold was 138 psi not good enough for me. Was hoping for a higher reading but it is used. And I usually replace the Engine anyway, so lets move on.
Carb slide wqas removed and it is in great shape, not a ton of wear on it, it is stock.
Belt looks to be OEM and to sya it is on it's last leg is an understatement, it is junk.
Clutch is stock OEM, look to have bad wear on the sides and will need to be checked further.
Exhaust-expansion chamber (oem)is hanging off the exhaust flange, not selaed and I assume the flange has some form of wear on it that might require a replacement.
The silencer is as well just hangin on by a thread, not sealed at all on the expansion chamber and is aftermarket, it will be replaced with a stock OEM to match the expansion chamber.
Air inlet is missing inlet assembly and hose, the air filter housing is dirty and need to be totally cleaned, filter will be replaced with a new UNI FILTER.
SUSPENSION-here we go- :-) front tie rods both sides bent badly, thing hardly steers.
Both upper and lower arms are bent.It is slight but a trained eye can notice it when looking. Need to all be replaced.
Left side tie rod end bad.
Left side wheel bearing bad.
Rear suspension needs to be completely replaced, every arm is bent some badly!
Right side upper tie rod end is bad in the control arm.
Rear brake caliper missing the E brake arm, no biggie, and the pads need replacement.

Now I don't want to be all negative here, actually some good things on it-the frame other then a slight bend in the top cage is in remarkable shape, underneath reveals really no dings,dents, or scrapping from rocks,the front clip is straight-the trans and rear cv's, stubs and rear carriers are in decent shape, trans shifts well, the cables are free. It does have aftermarket old school rims which can be reused. Shocks are in good shape, the plastics too other then the front fenders will stay on it, it has all the brackets for the fenders, the front foot tub is in really good shape,and overall it is a great Pilot. I will post some pictures in a few here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:59 pm 

Pictures.
Here is some of the front suspension.
Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 001.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 001.jpg [ 92.14 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 002.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 002.jpg [ 34.29 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 016.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 016.jpg [ 40.44 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Some of the rear suspension arms:
Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 005.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 005.jpg [ 72.3 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 006.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 006.jpg [ 79.92 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 020.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 020.jpg [ 38.23 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:04 pm 

Exhaust pictures:
Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 004.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 004.jpg [ 33.12 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 008.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 008.jpg [ 39.31 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Belt:
Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 009.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 009.jpg [ 40.49 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Engine picture:
Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 014.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 014.jpg [ 41.22 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Pictures of the air box:
Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 012.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 012.jpg [ 49.85 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:07 pm 

Here is the current ignition switch. Throttle provided in the sale a new switch and matching gas cap, big thanks to him!

Attachment:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 003.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 003.jpg [ 33.48 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]

Attachments:
File comment: Bent upper cage, no biggie to me honestly
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 013.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 013.jpg [ 55.44 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 010.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 010.jpg [ 25.96 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 022.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 022.jpg [ 45.92 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:09 pm 

More pictures of the new addition for you, the aftermarket rims are in ok shape and will be re used.

Attachments:
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 017.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 017.jpg [ 50.27 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 019.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 019.jpg [ 51.54 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 015.jpg
Throttle Pilot CSI pics 015.jpg [ 52.54 KiB | Viewed 26141 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:42 pm 

Sent 10 rear arms to my buddies place-he is a union ironworker and loves to fix stuff, he will fix all the bent rear arms I have here. I do still wish to purchase more however.
Engine from Vrooms Pilot is at Hosers, it needs a total rebuild, more to come on that.
I will be pulling this Engine, it will be rebuilt and used as a spare. Vrooms Pilot Engine will be installed in this ride after completion at Hosers. It as Vrooms is will be all stock, exhaust, clutch, carb, reeds, everything basicly in the Engine trans department will be stock. I am doing this so when I ride in parks, private owked land I have the necessary spark arrestor and decibel levels, instead of changing systems out and re jetting like I have in the past, which is a pain to say the least.
I have accumulated some parts already for this ride.More to come!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:51 pm 

Crank sent to Speedchaser for a complete new rdo kit and bearings. I purchased a CR 500 pro-x ROD KIT and sent all the bottom end bearings and seals over to Hoser, with the only aftermarket item being the ATHENA gasket set.
I ordered a 80.5 MM Wiseco piston kit off the internet from a new company I found, we will see how it works out and I'll post what I paid and shipping.updated company sent email, need to buy min 12 pistons for order to be processed, so I actually got 3 piston kits from Denis Kirk http://denniskirk.com OF ALL PLACES.
I have the new tie rods here for the front end, and are in the process of purchasing all the rear suspension arms, e-brake cables and e brake arm.
I have all of the front suspension arms here in stock.
I have new Uni filter here in stock.
I have new front brakes complete kits both sides here in stock
I have new rear pads EBC in stock.
I ordered new Dayco belt for the Pilot off Ebay.
New battery ordered from batterystuff.com gel BTW.
Ordered new exhaust gaskets for the stock system from partszilla.com(got them today)
I have good used front headlights here in stock(both are damaged and need replacing).
I have 2 good used front fenders here in stock.
I have a complete set (used) of ATVR nerfs, front and rear bumpers for the Pilot here.
Ordered off Ebay seller cvman new inner and outer cv boots with grease kits.
Will use the Crow Enterprises harness I ordered from Vrooms Pilot on this 1 hehehe.
I have in stock new Boyesen reeds here.
I will resue the stock oem intake and carb.
I have a new OEM ignition switch (thanks Throttle)for the Pilot.(got cap too yes)

More to come---- :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:54 pm 

Speedchaser will do the CR 500 rod modification on the crank while rebuilding it. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:42 pm 

Got into the project this weekend.
Will post some detailed pictures during the week with full write up. In the interim I will post just a few things performed on the project:
Completely removed and replaced all rear upper and lower arms on rear suspension.Everything!
Removed and replaced both rear bearing carriers with new freshly rebuilt ones I had here in my stock.BOTH HAD BRAND NEW BEARINGS,SEALS AND UPPER TIE RODS IN THEM.
Removed and replaced both rear shocks with some fresh OEM rebuilt ones from stock.
Pulled Engine and carb out of the Pilot.
Removed and replaced both front tie rods and tie rod ends. I used Hoserized tie rods with brand new OEM tie rod ends. SET THEM BOTH AT 16.25 LENGTH FROM TIE ROD END TO TIE ROD END and the toe in is at 3/4 of an inch.
Removed and replaced both rear rims and tires. The old Douglass rims had actually been welded in 2 spots and 1 was bent badly.I went with OEM stock rims and Mudlites.
Removed and replaced both lower front a-arms with OEM stock I had. The bushings were wasted badly. I will remove them and install urethane bushing in them at a later date.
Installed the new ignition switch.
Installed new rear fender brackets left side, both were bent badly.
Cleaned and inspected both front brake linings. Adjusted and installed new springs.
Took off the wrong size lug nuts on the Douglass front rims and install new flare nuts 15mm head. I hate when the use the wrong nuts on aluminum rims, drives me nuts!
Steering whell was loose, tightened nut on that.
Installed a used front OEM bumper. Why? I need the Pilot to fit sideways in my new 8 1/2 x 24 trailer and they fit using the stock OEM bumpers. Any protection is better then none. I used 1 as well on Vrooms old Pilot and it fits like a glove in the trailer, saving me space.
Powerwashed the Engine bay, installed new brake pads in the rear caliper.
More to come!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:44 pm 

I need the hot tub, my muscles are aching badly after this work day! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 pm 

Had some hrs tonight on this project again. First I took the carb and cleaned the exterior as it was covered in mud and grime. After draining the bowl which had nasty rusty dirty water with a touch of fuel in it---- I took the bowl off to see what was left of the internals. Total rust, it was nasty. The carb has more rust in it then a 56 Chevy in a scrap yard. After looking at this I also took the fuel cell out and dropped it off a local radiator shop to have it cleaned. Carb will be replaced with a OEM used 1 I have here.
The rusty water/fuel got me thinking so I took a quick look into the exhaust flange at the piston and cylinder walls, ouch it is not pretty the piston is worn out like a old mattress rust on the cyliner walls, I al amazed it even ran at some point, the rusty water/fuel has wrecked this Engine, it is scrap, will hopefully be able to rebuild.
I also spent 2 hrs cleaning and unfreezing 2 e-brake cables, since they are discontinued I try to do this with all of the older cables. If you have the patience and time you can get these to work again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:21 pm 

Looks to me it could use a Dave-co long travel kit!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:57 am 

I would love a kit from you Dave please PM me with prices and details thank you.
I understand we have spoken before about this but let's pull the trigger and do it finally if we could!
I must apologize I have been so busy with work related items I am falling behind in getting back to people!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:41 pm 

Here we go with the details. Here is a picture of the rear suspension arms I removed off the right side of the suspension.

Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 063.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 063.jpg [ 75.62 KiB | Viewed 25974 times ]

After seeing that I new I had to remove and replace the rear wheel bearings, there is now way they could be good after being driven with a bent suspension system.Here is a picture of the bearing carrier removed off the axle:

Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 065.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 065.jpg [ 95.23 KiB | Viewed 25974 times ]

Axle as it looked when suspension was removed:

Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 066.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 066.jpg [ 54.49 KiB | Viewed 25974 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:21 pm 

Right on Mudbogger you hit something hard enough to bend a suspension component or dent a rim bad REPLACE THE BEARINGS even if they feel good they will FAIL SOON trust me I learned this the hard way with both front and rear bearings and each time it cut my trip short.

Your local guy hoserize your links for you ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:14 pm 

hoser wrote:
Right on Mudbogger you hit something hard enough to bend a suspension component or dent a rim bad REPLACE THE BEARINGS even if they feel good they will FAIL SOON trust me I learned this the hard way with both front and rear bearings and each time it cut my trip short.

Your local guy hoserize your links for you ?

I agree Hoser, and I felt there was no way I could leave them in this Pilot-I like to go over each and every component when I fix them.In regards to the links he still has them, but I do have a set of front tie rods off this ride I could use Hoserized for future use,they are bent pretty good here- can I send them to you/ I will post the set I used here in a minute.
Now back to the posting-sorry had dinner plans hehehehe.
After removal of the rear lower arms, the rear bearing carrier I checked the shocks as well, a closer look revealed they too took a good hit and the hsafts were bent they were replaced with a used OEM set I had here.Here is a shot with the old shock still mounted in the new suspension, you might be able to see that it is bent:

Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 069.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 069.jpg [ 64.49 KiB | Viewed 25959 times ]

Here is a picture of the used but freshly rebuilt bearing carrier mounted in the left rear. In the right rear I also installed new upper tie rod end in the housing.

Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 070.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 070.jpg [ 51 KiB | Viewed 25959 times ]

Old tie rod end :
Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 073.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 073.jpg [ 50.69 KiB | Viewed 25956 times ]

New end installed:
Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 075.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 075.jpg [ 59.31 KiB | Viewed 25956 times ]

Here is 1 thing that drives me nuts-wrong lugs on the OEM rims-you can tell which 1 is stock and aftermarket junk?

Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 071.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 071.jpg [ 125.88 KiB | Viewed 25959 times ]

Here is picture of the front rims, you can see the old OEM lugs on a aftermarket rim, this is a no no in my book, in the picture you can see the new flare nuts 15mm head, I like these over the commonly used 12mm due to more surface area on the rim.

Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 072.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 072.jpg [ 34.86 KiB | Viewed 25959 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:26 pm 

Now in the last picture posted if you look closely you can see there is a piece of cardboard mounted behind the rim, I have no idea as too why it was there, it served no purpose but yes that is a cardboard"shim" lets say.
Ok, now to the front suspension. I close CSI revealed numerous issues.
I put the Pilot up on jack stands and proceeded to remove both tie rods with ends. Here is what I removed form both sides, they are bent badly so you know it took some form of hit, just as we saw in the rear you have to replace it all, and hopefully your frame is not bent. In my case some measurements concluded I have a pretty straight frame, the suspension parts took the brunt of the force.Again, it all needs to be replaced if your going to do it right.
Picture of the tie rods New versus old, you can see these tie rods are HOSERIZED:
Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 081.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 081.jpg [ 66.37 KiB | Viewed 25957 times ]

All new tie rod ends used :
Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 082.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 082.jpg [ 78.51 KiB | Viewed 25957 times ]

Both side lower and upper a arms were in poor shape, the bushings were worn out and the ball joints totally shot. This picture looks like it is missing the outer shim for the bushing, it is not it is actually pushed into the a arm:
Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 076.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 076.jpg [ 119.65 KiB | Viewed 25957 times ]

This is right side, you can see the damage to the inner bushing, it will be put on the shelve like the left side for future CSI-might be able to re use with a urethane bushing kit:
Attachment:
throttle pilot CSI 077.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 077.jpg [ 103.91 KiB | Viewed 25956 times ]

Attachments:
throttle pilot CSI 073.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 073.jpg [ 50.69 KiB | Viewed 25957 times ]
throttle pilot CSI 077.jpg
throttle pilot CSI 077.jpg [ 103.91 KiB | Viewed 25957 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:44 am 

Engine is at Hosers getting complete rebuilt. I have had a small problem finding a 80.5mm piston kit for the Engine. I was able to purchase a OEM kit from afastcar and sent it to Hoser after I purchased 3 FL350R kits from Denis Kirk http://denniskirk.com instead of FL 400R KITS. dROVE ME NUTS TO SAY THE LEAST!! I want to keep the Engine stock, so no intake work on the jug and or mods will be performed. I plan on keeping it all stock Engine,clutch, carb, reeds all stock. I want to use this Pilot along with the Vroom pilot at parks that require spark arrestors and such and also use for my friends wife and daughter.
Power washed the Engine bay, cleaned the air box, have been stockpiling parts I took from stock for installation. I have a complete stock exhaust for this project here, I purchased used hadn restraints off Ebay and are still looking for a used set of harnesses.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:16 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Engine is at Hosers getting complete rebuilt. I have had a small problem finding a 80.5mm piston kit for the Engine. I was able to purchase a OEM kit from afastcar and sent it to Hoser after I purchased 3 FL350R kits from Denis Kirk http://denniskirk.com instead of FL 400R KITS. dROVE ME NUTS TO SAY THE LEAST!! I want to keep the Engine stock, so no intake work on the jug and or mods will be performed. I plan on keeping it all stock Engine,clutch, carb, reeds all stock. I want to use this Pilot along with the Vroom pilot at parks that require spark arrestors and such and also use for my friends wife and daughter.
Power washed the Engine bay, cleaned the air box, have been stockpiling parts I took from stock for installation. I have a complete stock exhaust for this project here, I purchased used hadn restraints off Ebay and are still looking for a used set of harnesses.

I seen you were in the chat room, no piston yet assume it will be here Monday.

Will leave all stock will only remove any big ugly flow restrictions as I find them to enhance the stock porting, also performed the case modifications that supply better oil flow to the crank bearings and to the balancer bearings.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm 

hoser wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:
Engine is at Hosers getting complete rebuilt. I have had a small problem finding a 80.5mm piston kit for the Engine. I was able to purchase a OEM kit from afastcar and sent it to Hoser after I purchased 3 FL350R kits from Denis Kirk http://denniskirk.com" .".. instead of FL 400R KITS. dROVE ME NUTS TO SAY THE LEAST!! I want to keep the Engine stock, so no intake work on the jug and or mods will be performed. I plan on keeping it all stock Engine,clutch, carb, reeds all stock. I want to use this Pilot along with the Vroom pilot at parks that require spark arrestors and such and also use for my friends wife and daughter.

I seen you were in the chat room, no piston yet assume it will be here Monday.

Will leave all stock will only remove any big ugly flow restrictions as I find them to enhance the stock porting, also performed the case modifications that supply better oil flow to the crank bearings and to the balancer bearings.

Thank you sir!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:08 pm 

Hoping to send the bent tie rods and rear suspension arms out to Hoser for his patent pending "hoserize" procedure. I will use them for stock for the next project.
I also rebuilt the rear carriers tonight, pictures to come. I measured the old bearings to new, and the seals, they are pretty much the same and the seal on the axle hub is a good one, look to be a top notch replacement for the OEM.
i WILL NOT USE THESE CARRIERS ON THIS PROJECT, i REPLACED THESE with rebuilt carreirs already, they will go back onto the shelf for future use.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:28 pm 

Vroom Engine is here, installed new reeds in it tonight-Boyesen power reeds, part number 607-will let it sit overnight, air leak test in AM and if passes installation into the Throttle Pilot.

Profile E-mail