Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dave-co LT
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:19 am 

I'll be dropping my pilot off with dave tomorrow and it will get the works. Dave is going two more inches wider then atvr and moving the rear wheels back . He is also redoing the front, It will have 16" of travel and the rear ?? we'll find out. Then I have the Farr kit Installed and will put the 583 in when dave is done. I think it will be a sick pilot. Not so good for the guys that ride the trails but great for what we do out here. Dave thinks 14" fox shocks on the back will work with the extra two inches. Ill be selling all the atvr stuff that comes back.

Then I'll be putting the farr kit in steve wheels pilot. Its on its way in NJ now.
I will post picks as they come.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dave-co LT
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:50 am 

halorising wrote:
I'll be dropping my pilot off with dave tomorrow and it will get the works. Dave is going two more inches wider then atvr and moving the rear wheels back . He is also redoing the front, It will have 16" of travel and the rear ?? we'll find out. Then I have the Farr kit Installed and will put the 583 in when dave is done. I think it will be a sick pilot. Not so good for the guys that ride the trails but great for what we do out here. Dave thinks 14" fox shocks on the back will work with the extra two inches. Ill be selling all the atvr stuff that comes back.

Then I'll be putting the farr kit in steve wheels pilot. Its on its way in NJ now.
I will post picks as they come.

sweet cant wait to see how it looks and rides :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:06 pm 

"Its on its way in NJ now." - Huh? Farr is in NJ? or the buggy is in Nj?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:58 pm 

The other farr kit is in nj. Its with USPS coming from Canada

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:11 pm 

Got it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 am 

Got Chris's Pilot today and Chris can verify from hands on that my pilot I am working on now has over 15 inches wheel travel in the rear with zero bind in the ball joint or the suspension and it is only 2,5 inches wider than stock like most all long? travel pilots are, if we make it wider like chris is wanting the travel numbers will be high for sure. Welded up his rear bumper that was broke and cracked all over in places I could not believe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:51 am 

Dave-Co wrote:
Welded up his rear bumper that was broke and cracked all over in places I could not believe.

If you seen the way he drives you would believe...LOL!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:21 am 

HAHA that's what i told him!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:25 am 

Dave-Co wrote:
Got Chris's Pilot today and Chris can verify from hands on that my pilot I am working on now has over 15 inches wheel travel in the rear with zero bind in the ball joint or the suspension and it is only 2,5 inches wider than stock like most all long? travel pilots are, if we make it wider like chris is wanting the travel numbers will be high for sure. Welded up his rear bumper that was broke and cracked all over in places I could not believe.

Yeah we got out a tape and it went 15" and with a small move of the battery box may get even more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 am 

Got some top secrets things going on on my own pilot number 4 besides putting long travel on it. Photos coming sooon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:12 am 

Dave-Co wrote:
Got some top secrets things going on on my own pilot number 4 besides putting long travel on it. Photos coming sooon

I just love top secret things :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:57 am 

Dave-Co wrote:

From what I saw that is going to be a sweet Pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:42 pm 

B S wrote:
Dave-Co wrote:

I just love top secret things :-)

Me too lets see it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:28 pm 

Check out the new cage and suspension travel

Attachments:
IMG_20140119_143451_297.jpg
IMG_20140119_143451_297.jpg [ 54.38 KiB | Viewed 3728 times ]
IMG_20140119_141849_671.jpg
IMG_20140119_141849_671.jpg [ 34.99 KiB | Viewed 3728 times ]
IMG_20140119_143422_251.jpg
IMG_20140119_143422_251.jpg [ 44.51 KiB | Viewed 3728 times ]
IMG_20140119_141831_725.jpg
IMG_20140119_141831_725.jpg [ 61.37 KiB | Viewed 3728 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:50 am 

Were getting 17" of travel on the rear with 19" axles. SWEET!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 am 

halorising wrote:
Were getting 17" of travel on the rear with 19" axles. SWEET!!

Is that with shocks attached or just what you could get if you ran it without shocks on the Pilot?

Whats 19" axles mean whats stock, what does everybody else use?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:28 pm 

Where are u getting axles? That's my whole hold up, I don't have extra sets of axles laying around

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:42 pm 

consol wrote:
Where are u getting axles? That's my whole hold up, I don't have extra sets of axles laying around

They are cutting ands sleeving the factory ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:42 pm 

I don't get wheel travel to limit it with a shock, I used stock axles made the sleeve from 1.4 120 wall 4130 drilled about 20 + holes in the sleaves a half inch in diamiter , I hose clamped the axles into thick angle iron tig welded the axles together with 312 stainless, then smoothed out the weld, took them to my kitchen floor to check for straightness, I then clamped each end in a vise on each side then rose welded the sleeves to the axles with my mig welder then ground the heads of the welds down then smothed them out on my 760 Burr King. The axles are 2 inches longer than your tipicle 17 inch Long travel axle, we are using a 14 in travel fox shock with some heavy work on the inside we should be able to use close to all 17 inches of travel with shock on! I see no reason the axles wont last as long as the pilot, they came out real straight, not hard to make just a lot of time to do it rite. stock axles are a tad over 15 and a half, I am in the middle of hanging the shocks today should be finished by this afternoon :-) a ton of work into this pilot in a short time :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:20 pm 

Dave-Co wrote:
I don't get wheel travel to limit it with a shock, I used stock axles made the sleeve from 1.4 120 wall 4130 drilled about 20 + holes in the sleaves a half inch in diamiter , I hose clamped the axles into thick angle iron tig welded the axles together with 312 stainless, then smoothed out the weld, took them to my kitchen floor to check for straightness, I then clamped each end in a vise on each side then rose welded the sleeves to the axles with my mig welder then ground the heads of the welds down then smothed them out on my 760 Burr King. The axles are 2 inches longer than your tipicle 17 inch Long travel axle, we are using a 14 in travel fox shock with some heavy work on the inside we should be able to use close to all 17 inches of travel with shock on! I see no reason the axles wont last as long as the pilot, they came out real straight, not hard to make just a lot of time to do it rite. stock axles are a tad over 15 and a half, I am in the middle of hanging the shocks today should be finished by this afternoon :-) a ton of work into this pilot in a short time :shock:

Thanks for the clarification 17" should just about do anything he will ever want to do in a Pilot :-) You happen to know the over all width with the tires on?

So I wonder what happen to all those stock axles that received LT kits in the past you could make up a few sets in your spare time and have them ready for future builds, hopefully they were not just thrown away.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:21 pm 

Dave-Co wrote:

Is there a slug axle between the cut axle that's butt welded and ground? Or is it basically a .120" x 1.4 axle between the splits now? I'm not saying it won't hold up, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about it

Also, are you letting these air cool after welding or sand dunking each weld?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:06 pm 

I had 2 pair of stock axles cut them both(what a pain, 2 axles to make 1 axle) welded them together. when I put the wheels on later today I will give you the measurment you ask for hoser, all fab work is finished am working on his shocks now, 1 to go then install and finished. I ruined my first set of axles from my first long travel build I did when I was told to cut them by ,,, ,,,,,, oh well, I let them cool a few minutes then dunked them in water after welding them together, I don't have time to wait for them to cool, they are made from tough azz metal that is forsure, my chop saw took a while to cut eaxh AXLE

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:53 pm 

So you are still using 2 pairs of axles for each lt axle?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 pm 

yes 2 stock axles to make 1 long axle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:14 am 

pilot is about 65-66 inches wide with the tires on hoser, this thing looks cool on all 4s

Profile E-mail