Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestion box
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:49 pm 

Hoser, I have a suggestion - where exactly should I put that?

Seriously, how about a internet technology sub forum where we can find POOA related stuff that has been discussed already.
This would reduce the number of morons like me asking you 'how do I resize my pictures again?'

Bottom line is you seam to have a knack for this type of stuff and with the community on your forum you are able to collect a lot of useful information.
As examples consider links to :
- How to load pictures to the POOA website.
- What size and how to resize photos.
- How to search for good junk on Craigslist (saw that recently and had some fun with it).
- How to use Google to search a website for a particular subject (I can not remember how to do this but I remember seeing it here).

After you get this up and running I have some pictures to load.

Lee

Post subject: Re: Suggestion box
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:07 pm 

Good idea, I can add a form or sub form anyplace I want I just need to know where to put it and what to call it so it would make sense to new members but it also need to make sense to season members.

Call it PilotOdyssey FAQ or PO FAQ (not sure new guy would figure that out?)

Place it where?

Once we find a home for all new guy stuff or for dummies stuff, yeah maybe call it "PilotOdyssey.com for Dummies" haha anyways then we can start searching for post that needs placed their then I can move those post from where ever they are found to the new area.

Cool thing about moving a post is your given the option to leave a copy of the post where its found then if someone replies to the post BOTH are updated.

SO need suggestions on what to call it where to put it then what to populate the new area with...

What say you guys?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:57 pm 

It might make sense to put website or general internet related tips, tricks, or whatever, in your "PilotOdyssey.com for Dummies" section.

Then you could have another section that is called something like "Pilots and Odysseys 101" for those of us who are new at owning, riding, and working on these machines.

To me, the two seem like totally different subjects. I think that the current sections on discontinued or hard to find parts, located in the "Tech Stuff" topic of the forums is a great idea, but I think that they might be a bit out of date, as is the info contained on the main pilotodyssey.com page.

Would be a great thing to have up to date info on where to buy consumables such as drive belts and pistons/rings/wrist pin bearings, but that requires constant maintenance and can become burdensome to the webmaster rather quickly.

Gotta tuck the kids in.

Cheers!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:37 pm 

TRXDoctor wrote:
It might make sense to put website or general internet related tips, tricks, or whatever, in your "PilotOdyssey.com for Dummies" section.

Then you could have another section that is called something like "Pilots and Odysseys 101" for those of us who are new at owning, riding, and working on these machines.

To me, the two seem like totally different subjects. I think that the current sections on discontinued or hard to find parts, located in the "Tech Stuff" topic of the forums is a great idea, but I think that they might be a bit out of date, as is the info contained on the main pilotodyssey.com page.

Would be a great thing to have up to date info on where to buy consumables such as drive belts and pistons/rings/wrist pin bearings, but that requires constant maintenance and can become burdensome to the webmaster rather quickly.

Gotta tuck the kids in.

Cheers!

I would like to make the PilotOdyssey.com part of my site go away and just have the message board and maybe the photo album so that's why PilotOdyssey.com had gone stale and is outdated, I want to move all or most all the content from the PilotOdyssey.com side of my site here, better organize it categorically, moving the content from PilotOdyssey.com to here on the message board will not be easy first its over 750 pages of content that needs to be manually loaded here.

Another words pick a page on my site for example this one http://www.pilotodyssey.com/stuffer1.htm you have to start a new post here on the message board then copy and paste all the text into the post then format the text a little, then go find each picture on that page and attach to your post in the proper order so it appears here as it does on the original link, then once you post the page here review it to ensure its correct then go back and find all the pictures on the web server and delete each picture so you don't have duplicates on the server, I am to the point where duplicates matter their is over 41,000 pictures here on the message board... Its not hard work its just real boring work I have done maybe 20 pages over the years, still over 700 need done lol, I really need to force myself to do like 10 pages a day and get it done!

Far as the parts pages not being updated I have done my part, I created those pages here on the interactive side of my site so users can keep them updated, anybody can reply to those pages and let us know where they found parts and how much they cost they also can create new pages and give info on parts not listed.

I urge anybody that just bought any Pilot and Odyssey parts to go to the parts pages and help keep that info updated, I can go back and change or delete any of the info their, remove dead links update pricing etc. just let me know the info, no way can I or any other single person monitor all those parts and keep it up to date.

Thanks for the suggestions working together we as a group can make PilotOdyssey.com a whole lot better, faster, easier for everybody to benefit from.

If I have interpreted your vision of this site wrong please let me know and change your wording so I can picture what you see in your mind, I know sometimes I don't see what others see in their mind, what you see might be 100% better than what I am seeing lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:58 pm 

Maybe change the Visitors section to Pilot.Odyssey.com for Dummies. Theres only one page of posts in the Visitors area and it looks like most of them could be put in thier proper catagory,for instance ((Pilot Front Left Fender Discontinued.)) can go to the parts section. One less section to clutter up the main forum page???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 pm 

stix wrote:
Maybe change the Visitors section to Pilot.Odyssey.com for Dummies. Theres only one page of posts in the Visitors area and it looks like most of them could be put in thier proper catagory,for instance ((Pilot Front Left Fender Discontinued.)) can go to the parts section. One less section to clutter up the main forum page???

Like this http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewforum.php?f=9

Moved post to Pilot parts viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3773

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:52 pm 

hoser wrote:
stix wrote:

Cool, We will all have to remember when and what to post there. My problem is Im always posting in the Tech and General, I just forget there is a section for Pilot parts and Odyssey parts or I would probably be posting there about parts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:04 pm 

stix wrote:
hoser wrote:
stix wrote:

Cool, We will all have to remember when and what to post there. My problem is Im always posting in the Tech and General, I just forget there is a section for Pilot parts and Odyssey parts or I would probably be posting there about parts.

So I wonder if your the only one with that problem, what can be done to heighten your and others awareness of the other parts?

Generally I use the site as follows, I click on the "View New Post" link and monitor the new post, when I create a new post I try to think of the best place to put it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:29 pm 

I probably am the only one knowing me. :shock: However I have wondered that myself, for instance the CSI section, the third post down, Calibears post, the last post was in November of last year. So not may posters over there. This might be because someone might rather post in the Tech than CSI or they don't realize the CSI is for tracking the cause of the problem.
On the other hand, I just posted in the Tech about my water pump leak, I didnt really think to post in the CSI because Im used to posting a problem in the Tech but then it BECOMES a CSI.
For me, most forum's layout either half ass work or don't work at all. Maybe Im just too ADD to take the time to figure it out. Like a lot of us, we all have been to foorums that are a pain in the ass to navigate. This sie is really easy(compared to most) but there is so much info in the CSI to be soaked up, I forgot about that section until my Stix 500 Rebuild got posted there. As far as how to make the site more navigatable(if that's a word). I could look at the other forums I sometimes frequent and see if I still have one in my favorites that's worth a crap and post a link to it. Not sure that would help, maybe get an idea or two from them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:52 am 

stix wrote:
I probably am the only one knowing me. :shock: However I have wondered that myself, for instance the CSI section, the third post down, Calibears post, the last post was in November of last year. So not may posters over there. This might be because someone might rather post in the Tech than CSI or they don't realize the CSI is for tracking the cause of the problem.
On the other hand, I just posted in the Tech about my water pump leak, I didnt really think to post in the CSI because Im used to posting a problem in the Tech but then it BECOMES a CSI.
For me, most forum's layout either half ass work or don't work at all. Maybe Im just too ADD to take the time to figure it out. Like a lot of us, we all have been to foorums that are a pain in the ass to navigate. This sie is really easy(compared to most) but there is so much info in the CSI to be soaked up, I forgot about that section until my Stix 500 Rebuild got posted there. As far as how to make the site more navigatable(if that's a word). I could look at the other forums I sometimes frequent and see if I still have one in my favorites that's worth a crap and post a link to it. Not sure that would help, maybe get an idea or two from them.

You make a lot of good points and I share with your frustration I have spend days thinking how I can make the site better especially the non message board part of my site, so much info almost impossible to organize, I have always been reluctant to add more sub forms or categories and sub categories for fear of making it too complicated and further frustrating others to the point where they just leave, I like it when they ask.

You probably have seen this on other sites where they demand you search search search BEFORE creating a new post, you wont see that here, look, search and if you cant find something START ANOTHER POST!!!!!! Asking and getting your answer is most important to me, I have actually been ban from a few sites because I "didnt search" according to them I did search the search does NOT always return what your looking for!

I have also had my posting privileges revoked for not starting the post in the correct category then ban for telling off the admin that was trying to punish me for not posting in the correct area, I tried to tell the dumb ass he is a admin use his powers to move my post to the correct location it only takes 2 seconds to do it, he was more into being barney phife and throwing his weight around than worrying about a sites user getting the info they were seeking, you will never see that happen here number 1 priority here is ensuring people get help keeping data organized is a distant second, most the answers are here just gotta find them.

If anything needs beat into a users head in a forceful Barney Phife way it would be to title your post in a way it will return your info in search if not capturing great search words in the title then at the end of your post throw in a bunch of search words that will help others find your post in the future.

You might be reading post on this site and notice words added at the end of a post many times I have edited others post and added these words to help with future searches, in the old days I would do the "EDITED added search words" now I just add the words I doubt anybody really cares I added "search words" anyways lol

Now go do a search on this site see if you can find your post, pretend your a Pilot owner you suspect your water pump is leaking, what words did you use to find your post, you have the advantage you wrote it.

Would adding FL400 Pilot water pump seal, water pump seal replacement, Pilot water pump, Pilot coolant leak, antifreeze leak help if added to your first post, what would a Pilot owner Google if he had the same problem and was seeking help, then you have to consider this sites built in search if someone uses it looking for answers to the same problem, I think adding the part numbers to the post would also help so if someone Googles the part number looking for the seal kit they stumble onto your post and the discussion about your problem, yeah were all guilty of not adding descriptive helpful search phrases to our post and replies.

You will notice I always try to use the part numbers in my "Parts Page" post so when someone Googles a Honda part number it will show up, if I was smart enough to add the part number to my CSI's they would show up in a search also, for example "changed the crank seals" then add the part numbers to the crank seals somewhere in that reply even if just at the bottom, THEN if someone Googles the seal part numbers they stumble onto this site and or find the seal info they were looking for, adding the seal dimensions would also be a plus, I often search out seals using the dimentions.

If we collaborate on this long enough I am sure we can work out a solution to make this place better more organized and more useful for everybody..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:19 pm 

hoser wrote:
If anything needs beat into a users head in a forceful Barney Phife way it would be to title your post in a way it will return your info in search if not capturing great search words in the title then at the end of your post throw in a bunch of search words that will help others find your post in the future.

Yep 10-4 on this. Trying to get everyone plus the noobies to follow that procedure would be cracking the whip. Then the site becomes a pain in the ass like others that banned you. I think the site works well for what it is, us users just need to slow down and READ the entire Board index Page instead of just skimming thru like I do :shock: . What would be cool is if you could take the technology you used to change A F T E R S H O C K Motorsports to Aftersthought Motorspurts, somehow incorporate that technology to remind users to enter keywords when posting, not sure how to do it but maybe when they type the word "problem" or "issue" etc etc , a pop up(i hate pop ups)would come up that would remind them to add key words to help others find thier post. I dunno just thinking outloud here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:22 pm 

Great.
I finally have a good idea to improve to POOA community and Hoser names it after me.

Pilot.Odyssey.com for a dummby

I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 pm 

hoser wrote:

Generally I use the site as follows, I click on the "View New Post" link and monitor the new post, when I create a new post I try to think of the best place to put it.

Yup, that's what I do too.

I'm certainly no webpage designer, therefore I am hesitant to make any suggestions. But if I were to visit this forum or the main homepage for the first time, I would probably be either looking to buy a Pilot or Odyssey or I may have just purchased one and now I'm looking for some details regarding the machine, or maybe I'm just wanting to reach out to other owners to pick their brains. You actually have the forum laid-out in a logical fashion right now.

I found this site last year when I started to get serious about purchasing a Pilot (literally a life-long desire of mine). I was 41 years old, had been diagnosed with cancer, was going through chemotherapy, and realized that I really could not afford to procrastinate anymore. Life is short for most, and even shorter for some. Through my readings, I found the group of regulars on this forum to be a rather interesting, colorful, and genuinely intelligent and talented bunch of fellas. And the best part was that they thought these machines were as cool as I thought they were!

I found many of the posts in the tech section to be useful, but I really found your homepage to be useful too. Hoser, I know you want to get rid of the homepage portion of your site, but honestly I think it just needs to be rearranged a bit to make it more modern by using frames, style sheets (to create a consistent appearance), and a nested list-style table of contents on the left side of the page, and it would probably be the easiest to use and most valuable resource on the internet for Odyssey and Pilot owners. Seriously man, there is a TON of great info on your homepage! Sure, some of it is outdated, some links may not work, but there is a lot of good stuff on it and I feel that a webpage is far better at conveying information than a forum thread. You said that there are around 750 html pages, and that makes for A LOT of sorting and categorizing to get all the sub pages into the nested table of contents, but you seem to still have a passion for these machines, so if you still have it in you, maybe you can go for a redesign.

Basically the styling and layout of the homepage is just outdated. Currently you have to read every line and look for the links to detailed info and, unless you are REALLY into reading all kinds of stuff about Pilots and Odysseys, you will tire of reading line after line looking for that one topic you are interested in. I think what the pilotodyssey.com homepage needs is just a new homepage itself. The content already exists in all those pages you have. It's just a matter of sorting them into categories that make sense and using a nested table of contents, along with frames, to display the html pages you already have. I really can't see how it would be possible to migrate all that info and all those pictures from the homepage to the forum and end up with something that is more usable than what you currently have. Forums have their place and so do webpages. They are two different monsters. The glorious thing about your homepage is that it is yours and yours alone. You have 100% control of the content and you can make it as user friendly and content-rich as you want (but it will mean you have to redesign it, and that will eat into your time). The problem with putting really important info in the forums is that it will tend to get "lost" amongst all the topics that really aren't so important. As proof of that, even idiots like me can post stuff in the forum :-) . But your homepage is beyond my reach.

hoser, I know you want to kill the pilotodyssey.com homepage, but I would encourage you to undertake a redesign in an attempt to streamline the homepage and make the data contained within the site easier to access. Have you ever looked into Microsoft's Visual Studio suite? You can get Visual Studio basic for free. It's a very powerful webpage development environment. It has a steep learning curve, but so do all things tech. You can google just about anything nowadays, so getting tutorials on modern webpage design should be pretty easy. You've managed to get this far, so why not take the next step and become a ninja webpage designer? Well man, that's my $1.95. Sorry for creating a wall of text.

Regardless of which direction you choose, I'm just thankful that this forum and this community exists, and that it was there when I needed it most. I check this forum daily...actually multiple times daily (LOL). I enjoy reading what everyone has to say. Thanks for providing a place for all us old-schoolers to get together and share. It certainly helps to keep these cool old Hondas up and running and on the trail (where they belong).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:11 am 

TRXDoctor (and anybody else I didnt want to quote TRXDoctor makes the post that long too hard to read)

Never hesitate to give suggestions I am no web page designer either I am a construction worker by trade a Sheet Metal Worker to be exact I just have a strong interest in anything mechanical, when it comes to web pages I am self taught I have no formal training with computers or websites I just have info I try to share with others and try to picture in my mind what would work for others to get that info.

For the static side of my site I use a really old program called Pagemill 3 to build my website I used it because at the time it was about the only WYSIWYG program I know nothing about any kind of code, currently I been looking at using KompoZer.

I don't like to use ANY microsoft program if I don't have to its bad enough I use their operating system, why? because since day one MS has been the number one target to hackers the last thing I want to do is use a software that has holes for hackers to attack my website besides their is plenty of open source software that can do the job I need.

When I talk about moving all my sites static content to here in the message board side where it would be interactive it would be like here http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PilotOdysseyInnovations.htm go their click on a link it takes back here where the info for that page is and where it can be discussed, most them pages are already located here viewforum.php?f=71.

Now picture this go back to my home page http://www.pilotodyssey.com click on the Technical Information Center link it takes you here http://www.pilotodyssey.com/tech.htm all the links on that page that is my content and not external links to other sites would take you to a page on my message board with the info and again it could be discussed.

A lot of the info on the Pilot Technical Information Center page is just links back to pages already on the message board http://www.pilotodyssey.com/pilottech.htm

Where would all these pages be kept on the message board well they could be anyplace on the message board long as links to them was accurate, but they could be kept here viewforum.php?f=45 The main page or home page on my static site http://www.pilotodyssey.com could be updated and kept but it would just be a bunch of links more like a directory all the real content would be kept here on the message board side, again except for all the info that is on external links on other sites.

I don't necessarily want to completely eliminate my home page I want to learn the CSS thing for the reasons you listed and try to rework my home page I think once all the content on my home page was moved here to the interactive side I could get my html page count down to about 5 pages, move the content of the other 700+ pages here.

Anybody that wants to help whether you are a web designer or just a no website skills idiot like me please feel free to build me a new PilotOdyssey.com front end (home page) with what you think would be better for finding the content, you can zip it up and send it to me I can load it on the server we can give it a try, it can be a collaboration by any members that might want to participate, the Suggestion Box idea Lee came up with can be used for the development.

Note: the work in progress does not have to be located on the PilotOdyssey.com server it can be located on any web space until its developed, this will make it easier for the developer to access and update..

If anybody is interested I can create a new category called PilotOdyssey.com Website Development Facility where the collaboration can be done, it can also be a sub category under Pilot.Odyssey.com for Dummies check it out viewforum.php?f=108

Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Anybody?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:10 pm 

TRXDoctor wrote:
hoser wrote:

Yup, that's what I do too.

I'm certainly no webpage designer, therefore I am hesitant to make any suggestions. But if I were to visit this forum or the main homepage for the first time, I would probably be either looking to buy a Pilot or Odyssey or I may have just purchased one and now I'm looking for some details regarding the machine, or maybe I'm just wanting to reach out to other owners to pick their brains. You actually have the forum laid-out in a logical fashion right now.

I found this site last year when I started to get serious about purchasing a Pilot (literally a life-long desire of mine). I was 41 years old, had been diagnosed with cancer, was going through chemotherapy, and realized that I really could not afford to procrastinate anymore. Life is short for most, and even shorter for some. Through my readings, I found the group of regulars on this forum to be a rather interesting, colorful, and genuinely intelligent and talented bunch of fellas. And the best part was that they thought these machines were as cool as I thought they were!

I found many of the posts in the tech section to be useful, but I really found your homepage to be useful too. Hoser, I know you want to get rid of the homepage portion of your site, but honestly I think it just needs to be rearranged a bit to make it more modern by using frames, style sheets (to create a consistent appearance), and a nested list-style table of contents on the left side of the page, and it would probably be the easiest to use and most valuable resource on the internet for Odyssey and Pilot owners. Seriously man, there is a TON of great info on your homepage! Sure, some of it is outdated, some links may not work, but there is a lot of good stuff on it and I feel that a webpage is far better at conveying information than a forum thread. You said that there are around 750 html pages, and that makes for A LOT of sorting and categorizing to get all the sub pages into the nested table of contents, but you seem to still have a passion for these machines, so if you still have it in you, maybe you can go for a redesign.

Basically the styling and layout of the homepage is just outdated. Currently you have to read every line and look for the links to detailed info and, unless you are REALLY into reading all kinds of stuff about Pilots and Odysseys, you will tire of reading line after line looking for that one topic you are interested in. I think what the pilotodyssey.com homepage needs is just a new homepage itself. The content already exists in all those pages you have. It's just a matter of sorting them into categories that make sense and using a nested table of contents, along with frames, to display the html pages you already have. I really can't see how it would be possible to migrate all that info and all those pictures from the homepage to the forum and end up with something that is more usable than what you currently have. Forums have their place and so do webpages. They are two different monsters. The glorious thing about your homepage is that it is yours and yours alone. You have 100% control of the content and you can make it as user friendly and content-rich as you want (but it will mean you have to redesign it, and that will eat into your time). The problem with putting really important info in the forums is that it will tend to get "lost" amongst all the topics that really aren't so important. As proof of that, even idiots like me can post stuff in the forum :-) . But your homepage is beyond my reach.

hoser, I know you want to kill the pilotodyssey.com homepage, but I would encourage you to undertake a redesign in an attempt to streamline the homepage and make the data contained within the site easier to access. Have you ever looked into Microsoft's Visual Studio suite? You can get Visual Studio basic for free. It's a very powerful webpage development environment. It has a steep learning curve, but so do all things tech. You can google just about anything nowadays, so getting tutorials on modern webpage design should be pretty easy. You've managed to get this far, so why not take the next step and become a ninja webpage designer? Well man, that's my $1.95. Sorry for creating a wall of text.

Regardless of which direction you choose, I'm just thankful that this forum and this community exists, and that it was there when I needed it most. I check this forum daily...actually multiple times daily (LOL). I enjoy reading what everyone has to say. Thanks for providing a place for all us old-schoolers to get together and share. It certainly helps to keep these cool old Hondas up and running and on the trail (where they belong).

Times two.
Hoser I thank you for all the time and effort you have put into this site.
I stumbled apon this site after I bought the first oddy and I have NOTHING bad to say about it.
If you do make changes I hope they are minor. Would hate to lose what we already got as it is almost
as good as it gets. The wheel isn't square and isn't flat, it's just a little low on air maybe.

Profile E-mail