Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project 2800 pilot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:19 pm 

Oh yeah. In the works as we speak. I have 4 LT pilots and all will have it when all is said and done. It is a game changer for sure. Shoot i am shipping them nj to ca to get it done that's how much i love it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:21 pm 

I use Super ATV universal kit on all my pilot. It forsure is not a slap it on type of Mod, it is a lot easier now that I have done 7 or 8. I am sure it could be installed onto a 350 doing it along the same way a pilot is done, I cant imagine driving with out it now that all my pilots have it.. The ps kits were 750.00 then dropped to 650 then to 519 last I checked, they come with funky 17mm splines that couplers do NOT exist for that size, I have been buying 11/16 x 3/4 couplers and modifying them by cutting a slot in them then welding cut pieces of 3/4 x 1/2 tubing on each side of the slot so I can put a bolt in and squeez it onto the splines. The kit comes with 2 U-joints to fit it but there is no way to use them in the tight confines of the pilot. I have modded the splines in the U joint to work on 1 of my pilots but the other way is easier. It comes with a plate to mount it that has to be cut down to fit. You also need some more plate to make it install, I use 1/4 4130 plate myselt and it works well . It is a involved process to do it right where it wont fail and cause you to crash :shock: I modify the steering colom and steering shaft.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:16 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
had some time this weekend to install all the plastics and shore up this pilot. it needed a little things to be done like extensions for the tachometer and other small items but the plastics were a real pain in the butt. everything had to be custom fitted to fit the electronic power steering and multiple bars for the roll cage and such.
I cannot run stock rims the offset hit the tie rod ends so I installed my OMF rims off of the terrible pilot they work quite well. It still needs some minor modifications to a bracket or 2, and then it is time to ride

here are some finished pictures.

looks like the fronts are on backwards lol :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:54 pm 

mud you will have a wicked fleet of pilots when there all done..

dave-co. that does sound like a lot of work. but sounds like it well worth it in the end. it i might have look into it someday...not sure if your will to share some pic of how you installed it, but it sure would help a guy figure it out..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:08 am 

I second the picture request. I would even pay for some plans or sketches. I was looking under my pilot last night try to see how in the world the power steering unit will fit. Looks tight to me. Do you even use/need the universal joints? Do you alter the tub in anyway?

Edit / update. After looking closer at Muds pictures I see the power steering electric-motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is being mounted between the column black plastic cover and the handlebar. I also reread what dave-co posted and I see you do not use the ujoints.

It is not clear to me if you alter the tub or column plastic.

http://www.superatv.com/Universal-Power ... C1039.aspx

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 31.72 KiB | Viewed 9302 times ]
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 14.6 KiB | Viewed 9302 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:34 am 

Just tried to order a 220W universal kit and the website says they are out of stock.

Edit update - called them and they should have stock sometime in December.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:38 pm 

I was looking around on their site and the Honda Rancher 420 Kit includes these brackets. Since the Pilot install is a in-line installation these brackets look like what is needed. Universal joints are not needed. I wonder I the length of the Rancher steering shaft and the pilot are the same or close. Perhaps a guy could get these brackets to work on his pilot or odyssey.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 18.38 KiB | Viewed 9291 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:55 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Thanks Dave for all the hard work, and I forgot 1 picture, but I saved the best for last!! My pride and joy that's makes riding so much funner!!!

Hey mud - are the cut outs in the tub for the steering mod or for the long travel/suspension?

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 34.36 KiB | Viewed 9290 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:01 pm 

Mud - could you post a picture of the power steering unit like you were sitting in the pilot. I would like to see if the tub has been cut. A photo from the feet view would be nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:39 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Mud - could you post a picture of the power steering unit like you were sitting in the pilot. I would like to see if the tub has been cut. A photo from the feet view would be nice.

No cuts. You need to cut the glove box plastic at the top right above the choke/key but that's it. The cuts in the tub on the bottom are for the bump steer kit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:07 pm 

Ok so this pilot has a bump steer kit also. Are the steering improvements better with the bump steer kit or are they the same with only the power steering unit? I'm interested in putting the power steering unit on my stock pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:19 pm 

Another option for adapting the 17mm 36 spline to the steering shaft.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac498705.html

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 61.16 KiB | Viewed 9271 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:22 pm 

Unit is smaller than I thought. Wish it was smaller. :-)

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 21.24 KiB | Viewed 9268 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:24 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Ok so this pilot has a bump steer kit also. Are the steering improvements better with the bump steer kit or are they the same with only the power steering unit? I'm interested in putting the power steering unit on my stock pilot.

Improvements should be the same. Basicly this is just eliminating most of the feedback through the wheel. Only reason mud has a bump steer kit is for the long travel.

I installed this unit on mine. I cut the ujoints up and used them to weld to the shaft. Was not bad but Dave is the man for figuring this out. That coupler would have made things a bit cleaner for me. Looks like pacific customs offers the same steering unit just not super ATV branded.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:26 pm 

Nice fault code diagram here. Super ATV just wants you to call them when there is a fault code. Looks like there are plenty of these units out there, not just Super ATV.

If you red LED light ever flashed a code look here.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/graph ... -codes.pdf

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:28 pm 

You guys have inspired me - gotta give it a try now. Mud sorry if I crashed your thread. Maybe this should be moved to a separate thread????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:00 pm 

No worries. I like the thread as it is. This kit and the fabrication is great for the hobby, the group and the long term.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:48 pm 

The 17mm couplers are a new piece, I have spent countless hours and phone calls trying to find such a thing with no luck what so ever. Price is kinda redicules but at least they make them now. The pilot steering shaft is smaller than the 3/4 smooth bore in the coupler, have fun getting it straight when trying to weld it in!!! ON BOTH ENDS!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:59 am 

Rmesser _ That coupler could be a game changer for installation in a wide variety of vehicles.. thanks for that Post!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:19 am 

Dave-Co wrote:
The 17mm couplers are a new piece, I have spent countless hours and phone calls trying to find such a thing with no luck what so ever. Price is kinda redicules but at least they make them now. The pilot steering shaft is smaller than the 3/4 smooth bore in the coupler, have fun getting it straight when trying to weld it in!!! ON BOTH ENDS!!!

You could make it work with a lathe

Just make a couple of welds across the shaft to built it up then machine it down in the lathe

Or if you don't have access to a lathe you could wrap the shaft with tape then weld it tougher

It doesn't rotate a full turn so it doesn't have to be perfect

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:32 am 

I'm not crazy about that style of coupler as it uses a set screw to lock down on the splines, which could damage the splines. I prefer the clamp style, but have not located one yet.

Edit - I take it back - The set screw would not hit the splines. It is designed to engage the shaft of the electric steering box at the groove - so the splines would not be damaged.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 9.26 KiB | Viewed 9206 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:22 pm 

rmesser wrote:

Mud would you be nice enough to post some pictures?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:02 am 

Looks like no detailed pictures on this mod - this must be in the category of top secret squirrel stuff. Thanks for what you guys have shared.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:53 pm 

Guys i am sorry i have been swamped at work no secrets here. I should be by there tomorrow for pictures. Again sorry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:30 pm 

Sorry?.......SORRY???..............You will be if it happens again! :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next