Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 500 conversion pilot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:39 am 

I just looked at my cases and there is an area in question where the jug stud goes into the welded area, it is open on the bottom, in the pictures above the clutch side case where the jug studs go into the lower cases it is sealed, mine is not, picture to follow. I still have not leak tested this Engine, I am now really curious to see if it has been leaking, I cannot see how it was not!
I see alot of fellas use the powerbloc(either HRD or not) on the 500 engines, have not seen any 102c's like I have , any reason why by chance?
What style carb is/was slickrick Engine using? Did he have any clearance issues?
Ordered new internals for the carb from carbpartswarehouse.com-love that place!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:36 am 

Chassis set for shipping, pick up date set, going to be big changes for the Pilot in the coming month. Big time road trip planned for the unit, HEHEHEHEHE.
More to come on that.Ordered new seat,bought really nice used Team Tech harness from scpilot(thanks Steve as always)and got a nice new prefilter set up being made up for the unit as well.
Engine going to Hosers for a CSI, compression is great but I always rebuild or should I say have Hoser rebuild my engines, I like to start off fresh with all my rides but I will wait till I get the other 2 engines I have there finished(due to my lack of ambition getting those 80.8mm wiseco pistons fixed up-sorry Hoser)before shipping.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:41 am 

I was looking at the 102c clutch I took off the Engine, on the bolt there is just a flat washer and lock washer, which I took as being not correct, I had several spares here and each one of them has a special washer that centers the bolt into the clutch when torqued down, does anybody have the same washer? It fits into the bolt end of the clutch and is beveled so it places itself exactly center in the clutch-and it makes the bolt centered as well,without it will the clutch spin not true can we say? will it wobble under load?
Not for nothing, these clutches when I have used them engage in my opinion harder and faster then a powerbloc, but I HATE HATE the noise they emit when under idle, it always make me think I threw a bearing or something, you guys ever get the same feeling in your stomach like that?
Here is picture of the clutch/bolt I took off my 500 Engine:

Attachment:
500 engine and clutch 021.jpg
500 engine and clutch 021.jpg [ 57.54 KiB | Viewed 14696 times ]

here is the other washer I found on all my other 102c clutches;

Attachment:
500 engine and clutch 022.jpg
500 engine and clutch 022.jpg [ 59.24 KiB | Viewed 14696 times ]

Attachment:
500 engine and clutch 023.jpg
500 engine and clutch 023.jpg [ 59.58 KiB | Viewed 14696 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:49 am 

Picture of the jug bolt I spoke about earlier in the thread, I see in all the others pictures of 500 engines here they DO NOT have the bottom open on there jug bolts, it is filled with weld.

Attachments:
500 engine and clutch 024.jpg
500 engine and clutch 024.jpg [ 47.11 KiB | Viewed 14694 times ]
500 engine and clutch 025.jpg
500 engine and clutch 025.jpg [ 25.34 KiB | Viewed 14694 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:13 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
I see alot of fellas use the powerbloc(either HRD or not) on the 500 engines, have not seen any 102c's like I have , any reason why by chance?

My guess is since ATVR did the 500 mod they probably talked the buyer into getting the Powerbloc since that's what they sell...Notice how most ATVR long travel pilots always seem to have the ATVR skid plate,Beard seat, ATVR bumper etc etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:29 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
I was looking at the 102c clutch I took off the Engine, on the bolt there is just a flat washer and lock washer, which I took as being not correct, I had several spares here and each one of them has a special washer that centers the bolt into the clutch when torqued down, does anybody have the same washer? It fits into the bolt end of the clutch and is beveled so it places itself exactly center in the clutch-and it makes the bolt centered as well,without it will the clutch spin not true can we say? will it wobble under load?
Not for nothing, these clutches when I have used them engage in my opinion harder and faster then a powerbloc, but I HATE HATE the noise they emit when under idle, it always make me think I threw a bearing or something, you guys ever get the same feeling in your stomach like that?
Here is picture of the clutch/bolt I took off my 500 Engine:

Attachment:
500 Engine and clutch 021.jpg

here is the other washer I found on all my other 102c clutches;

Attachment:
500 Engine and clutch 022.jpg

Attachment:
500 Engine and clutch 023.jpg

That shouldered washer really comes in handy when installing the clutch's outside cover(6 bolt holes in it) during clutch installation after tuning. I let that washer dictate where the cover is going to be bolted(with the 6 quarter/20 bolts) onto the spider assy. this way I know the cover is centered and wont appear wobbly and put stress on the crank bearings. If it wobbles a bit I don't think it will affect the fuction of the clutch since the cover's purpose it to hold the engagement spring in place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:03 pm 

Pilot loaded and on way to secret compound. More to come.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:42 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Pilot loaded and on way to secret compound. More to come.

Dave Co??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:48 pm 

if i were to guess where its going, i bet it would come back with some LT suspension lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:39 pm 

Pilot has arrived at Dave-Co compound for complete LT kit and power steering. Frame issues will also be addressed at Dave's ALONG with new top roll cage, custom designed by Dave-Co like my 2800 pilot. Cannot wait for this!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:42 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Pilot has arrived at Dave-Co compound for complete LT kit and power steering. Frame issues will also be addressed at Dave's ALONG with new top roll cage, custom designed by Dave-Co like my 2800 pilot. Cannot wait for this!!!

you lucky dog, congrats and cant wait to hear your ride report

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:12 pm 

thank you, if it is anything like my first I will be very happy. This time Dave is going to do another custom upper roll cage with more diagonal bars, and add some cage bars on the bottom frame for a firewall and seat belts. Also he will be building a pre filter set up for the Pilot and again fixing all of the frame issues from the old owner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:51 pm 

Any update?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:42 am 

Project has taken another turn, it was put on the back-burner by me due to my accident but we are progressing with more mods and many more items to be added by Dave -Co and myself here very shortly. I am going all in on this ride, the 500 Engine is not going back in, will sit on the bench till it is needed.Extensive mods to the frame and cages, many secret things that I cannot tell you!!!! :-)
I will tell you the old owner had several frame issues repaired that were not properly done so they are being addressed with updates.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:14 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Extensive mods to the frame and cages, many secret things that I cannot tell you!!!! :-)

I like top secret stuff. You can tell me I won't tell anyone. I promise lol

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:30 pm 

Please keep it a Honda! :-)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:29 pm 

How about 1/2 Honda 1/2 errr, you're gonna have to wait :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:06 pm 

it needs a rotax

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:18 pm 

Had plans on going rotax with the unit but since the accident changed back over to stock Engine, seeing as I have 3 here brand new ready to run it makes no sense to go for the rotax.
Dave Co has had the unit for over a year now, I had the project on hold due to accident but soon to start up again, the power steering has been installed and total new roll cage fabricated by Dave.
I really like that kit Farr seels, but I just cant get it out of my head to run these engines that are freshly rebuilt first, any views are welcome :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:12 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Had plans on going rotax with the unit but since the accident changed back over to stock Engine, seeing as I have 3 here brand new ready to run it makes no sense to go for the rotax.
Dave Co has had the unit for over a year now, I had the project on hold due to accident but soon to start up again, the power steering has been installed and total new roll cage fabricated by Dave.
I really like that kit Farr seels, but I just cant get it out of my head to run these engines that are freshly rebuilt first, any views are welcome :-)

ONCE YOU HAVE A ROTAX YOUR WONT LOOK BACK AT THE STOCK Engine

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:19 pm 

I have neard the same thing from others, but what to do with these fresh rebuilds, perhaps Ebay? Hate to let them sit, worse thing in my book for them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:54 am 

Unless you already have a running 500 conversion pilot and don't want to buy another Engine, I'd say put the 500 Engine in the LT pilot Dave is building you. Legit suspension, power steering and some 500 power should be an extremely fun pilot to ride..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:29 am 

I'd go with a good 583/670. With Dave's suspension, my pilot with the 670 is simply amazing. No place this thing won't go, and it does it in comfort! Originally I went Rotax because of parts availability... But now that is just a bonus. Nothing better than a stock, reliable 100hp!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:19 pm 

I had planned on the Farr Kit for this project, Dave and myself had gotten everything worked out but I decided to go with stock Honda Pilot for the time being and save the 2500.00 for other projects. I was very close to pulling the trigger on one of kits, I spoke to Emanual and really feel that kit is one of best I have seen in my mnay years, but again I got 3 brand new engines sitting on workbench all ready to go. I will use the saved monies to rebuild this 500 Engine!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:02 pm 

Mud, its none of my business, but I think your doing the right thing sticking to the Honda Engine.

The reason is, we really don't have the space here to need big HP. Theres no dunes or desert.

I think you'll have more fun having better suspension and a reliable Engine.

Just my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next