Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:18 pm 

Ok guys Denuch and I are rebuilding the old Fatcat 350 and we've run into some puzzling issues....
Please advise if you can help

Brand new Engine from hoser last year
Cranks hard-sounds really tight
New battery is getting run down trying to crank over this tight Engine
Biggest issue is it won't pull fuel out of the tank unless you hold your hand over the carb boot with
The airbox off!
Rebuilt starter, new battery everything is new/rebuilt.
Known good fuel pump and even changed it out to make sure.

We're getting very frustrated to say the least- this Engine ran last fall before it was stored for winter.
It was changed over to water cooled head today still unable to draw fuel or fire!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:30 am 

Randy J. wrote:
Ok guys Denuch and I are rebuilding the old Fatcat 350 and we've run into some puzzling issues....
Please advise if you can help

Brand new Engine from hoser last year
Cranks hard-sounds really tight
New battery is getting run down trying to crank over this tight Engine
Biggest issue is it won't pull fuel out of the tank unless you hold your hand over the carb boot with
The airbox off!
Rebuilt starter, new battery everything is new/rebuilt.
Known good fuel pump and even changed it out to make sure.

We're getting very frustrated to say the least- this Engine ran last fall before it was stored for winter.
It was changed over to water cooled head today still unable to draw fuel or fire!

Are you even getting fuel to the carb. ??
Check your fuel pick up lines in the tank, they may be corroded.
Cranks hard because you may have a short.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:38 am 

Canadian, it won't pull any fuel through the pump at all. It will if you cover the boot but that's the only way it will pull any fuel. It seems like it cranks hard because it's fighting the tight Engine. It even very hard to pull through the compression stroke-almost impossible. Maybe need a "new" starter and not a older rebuild? I don't know but it makes no sense why it won't pull fuel on a fresh complete rebuild...?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:54 am 

Did you assemble any part of this Engine? Or did Hoser return it ready to run?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:02 pm 

The only part we changed since recpt from hoser was the water cooled head after it ran already last fall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:27 pm 

Your losing vacuum somewhere. Is the clamp good and tight on the hose coming up from the crankcase? Is the hose new? That's the first thing I'd check. Could be a reed not closing? Or could one be broken off and inside the Engine making it hard to crank over? Intake gaskets are cheap. Take a look in there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:42 pm 

I'd actually check the reeds first thing. That way you know your not cranking a foreign object through your Engine. You guys working on it today? Where at? I have an extra set of intake gaskets here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:48 pm 

When you pulled the head was their any signs of rust in the cylinder is their any possibilities of rusting some where since it was last run?

You ruled out the clutch or belt causing the Engine to drag?

Pull the plug it spins over freely?

Balancer case has oil?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:02 pm 

"Pull the plug it spins over freely? "

This was my next question.

So , it ran since you got it back from H' right?

Was it "tight" then too?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:12 pm 

Check your reeds, you may have one broken or it's not sealing. I had the same thing happen to an LT80 I have and it turned out to be a broken reed pedal.

If the reeds check out OK..........

Pull the carb apart and spray carb cleaner through all of the passages. After that, blow all of the air passages out with compressed air.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:39 am 

Ok the reeds could be it...that makes sense!
It was stored indoors over last winter, balancer oil is full,
Belt isn't dragging, no rust in cylinder looked brand new.
We didn't pull the plug to see if it turned freely either.
Will have to check these few things and get back to you!

Thanks brothers!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:47 am 

Randy J. wrote:
Ok the reeds could be it...that makes sense!
It was stored indoors over last winter, balancer oil is full,
Belt isn't dragging, no rust in cylinder looked brand new.
We didn't pull the plug to see if it turned freely either.
Will have to check these few things and get back to you!

Thanks brothers!!

Check the compression while your checking, where did the head come from?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:55 am 

Hoser the head is the dg that I've been looking for bolts for
A while back. I found some bolts that work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:11 pm 

There are small gaps between the reed and the cage...? Does this mean they're done? Don't know much about reeds. Also cleaned out carb and found some water and gunk in the bowl? Don't know where that came from...? Is there a restriction of some sort in the slow jet? It looks as if there is something on the side of the inside of the slow jet? Thanks for the help and criticism... Randy

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 29.96 KiB | Viewed 5158 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 31.29 KiB | Viewed 5158 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 pm 

Randy J. wrote:
The only part we changed since recpt from hoser was the water cooled head after it ran already last fall.

Well in my opinion this would be a starting point to look at.
Apparently Hoser sent you an Engine and it ran.
Then you changed the head. Am I wrong on this ??
It probably won't pull fuel because it can't spin fast enough. My money is on that head because you said it ran before.
Are you sure the piston ain't whacking this new head ?? How much squish (clearance) did you have left ??
Like others have suggested here pull the plug and see if you can pull it with the rope freely. If it does go easy then I would say the head is ok and it may be a crappy starter or starter cable or another poor electrical connection. Check the compression like was suggested. Those reeds look ok to me as my machine also had a small gap under the reeds and it ran well. The pictures you have here are poo but I would say they are good enough. Holy crap you are a slow mover, this post started two months ago lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:17 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Randy J. wrote:

It probably won't pull fuel because it can't spin fast enough. My money is on that head because you said it ran before.
Are you sure the piston ain't whacking this new head ?? How much squish (clearance) did you have left ??
Like others have suggested here pull the plug and see if you can pull it with the rope freely. If it does go easy then I would say the head is ok and it may be a crappy starter or starter cable or another poor electrical connection. Check the compression like was suggested. Those reeds look ok to me as my machine also had a small gap under the reeds and it ran well. The pictures you have here are poo but I would say they are good enough. Holy crap you are a slow mover, this post started two months ago lol.

This is actually denuchs buggy so it's been at his house since then... Been a lot of frustration with this and another Oddy that ran last season and now both have problems. Took a bit of a break to speak of... Getting back in now though

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:22 pm 

Randy J. wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
Randy J. wrote:

From the sounds of it the machine was left outside and I am sure the carb needs a complete cleaning now as well as trouble shooting the "tight" Engine thing. Try the above stuff.

This is actually denuchs buggy so it's been at his house since then... Been a lot of frustration with this and another Oddy that ran last season and now both have problems. Took a bit of a break to speak of... Getting back in now though

From the sounds of it the machine was left outside and I am sure the carb needs a complete cleaning now as well as trouble shooting the "tight" Engine thing. Try the above stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:29 pm 

It was inside all last year. We took the carb apart and it was sleepy with a little water in bowl? Front know how but we are done for the night.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:42 pm 

If you have water and or crap in the carb then it's time to do a thorough cleaning of the carb AGAIN and a blow out of all of the air passages. Just the smallest restriction of the idle circuit, it will cause the Ody to not run. Your symptoms are indicative of a logged idle circuit.

Dismantle the carb COMPLETELY. Get yourself some carb cleaner with the little straw on the tip. Spray the carb cleaner through every single drilled port of the carb body. Use the whole entire can on the damn thing if you have to. Pay special attention to the tiny little passages on the air draw side of the carb body. These are prone to clogging when an Ody sits for a long period of time. Do the same with the idle jet. Make damn sure the idle jet has ALL of it's passages completely free of any corrosion and debris.

After you are done with the carb cleaner, blow out all of the passages with compressed air.

By the way your reeds look fine. You can flip the pedals over to get a better seal.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:57 am 

First resolve the slow cranking issue remove the spark plug turn over by hand feel for abnormal drag, pull over with recoil starter compare to your other 350, if normal check compression using pull starter if ok its something in the E start system.

Use the reeds small gaps don't hurt anything but show signs of age you can flip them over run again if you wish. When I see a gap I flip them over run them until see gap again then flip over again, don't check compression with reeds out.

Profile E-mail