Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:23 am 

Hope these pics-xrays can save other riders pain-damage,and convince them to get and use wrist restraints.My 350 Ody never had them when i bought it,but boy do i wish it had them now. My son was driving it, after being told the normal don't be stupid,be safe lecture by dad, but my mates property being really muddy was lending itself to a lot of sideways fun,till the buggy went wheels up. His hand got crushed against the edge of the ali roof lid And sustained a couple of compound fractures to the back of his left hand. He came out of surgery today (plates & screws) so time will tell if it all works out. Our loss your gain. Hope this can convince others to wear them.Baz

Attachments:
SL550518.JPG
SL550518.JPG [ 211.87 KiB | Viewed 8225 times ]
SL550519.JPG
SL550519.JPG [ 176.29 KiB | Viewed 8225 times ]
SL550520.JPG
SL550520.JPG [ 172.22 KiB | Viewed 8225 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:44 am 

OUCH!

Sorry to hear his happened.
From time to time there are reports of this.

I use them religiously.
It takes a few more seconds to get goign and all the belts and gloves. But, when I've rolled the 350 they were well worth the time to put on.

I hope he recovers quickly and with out permanent damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:58 am 

Thanks for your sentiments Mass. I've always heard about these sorts of injuries from rollovers and always(stupidly) thought that this only happened to the "other people". Well it's really brought it home that I am,we are the other people.He's in good spirits tho, and got a smile on his face when he saw his xrays on"hoser's"site. :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:23 pm 

Send him my best wishes too. Hope he has a speedy recovery. I have a few battle scars too, just learn from them.
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:50 pm 

Wow, that reminds me that I need to find some restraints for the new Draks. I have always used them in the past because I have heard of some pretty bad breaks, now, seeing is really believing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:48 pm 

Ouch!

That sux!

I wish him a speedy recovery :shock:

How is the Ody?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:49 pm 

Send my regards as well. Hope he makes a full recovery!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:01 pm 

Best wishes for a full recovery-I preach the safety issues on these machines all the time to many that ride with me, hope this posting is viewed by all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:06 pm 

Best regards from out in NJ. Thanks for posting. It's fresh in my head now for the next ride. So easily do I take off , then put them on, first chance I get, just to keep in line. It's just not worth it.

Tell your son to keep his head up, his spirits high, a positive attitude, along with prayers amongst this group, and he will recover in no time.

:-) :-) :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:51 am 

Hats off to the genius at honda that designed the wrist restraints.I can personally say they have saved my arms and hands a couple of times as well as a few of my buddies.I flipped end over end three times running wide open one time and walked away laughing thanks to the safety harness and wrist restraints.Put a rip in the shoulder pad seam about 8 inches long.Sorry to see what happened,looks brutal.Hope that's not the hand he wipes with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:48 am 

I hate to admit it after all these years but I fliped my pilot in the street in front of my house and broke my middle finger in my hand. Middle medicarple?!?!

That sux big time. Hope he heals fast and make sure he goes to a good phyisical therapyst (spelling? Too early for big words!) to make sure it works well after words.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:45 am 

Wow, sorry to see/hear that Baz. Tell the little tyke we all wish him well. On a good note.....chicks dig scars!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:41 pm 

Fed wrote:
On a good note.....chicks dig scars!

Is that why they dig me so much? I thought it was my looks!!! :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:18 am 

G'Day All, BIG thanks to all of you who replied about Bevan's hand. You are all a great bunch of BLOKES,(but i suppose you's already know that!) He has had a ball reading your replies and surprised that this post has got so many, Especially from a bunch of blokes who he does'nt even know. But I told him us Buggiers are a special LOT! He loves all the attention he's got,and now i think i've gotta get him a bigger helmet,his head has got too big for the current one. :-) Thanks again Baz

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:03 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
G'Day All, BIG thanks to all of you who replied about Bevan's hand. You are all a great bunch of BLOKES,(but i suppose you's already know that!) He has had a ball reading your replies and surprised that this post has got so many, Especially from a bunch of blokes who he does'nt even know. But I told him us Buggiers are a special LOT! He loves all the attention he's got,and now i think i've gotta get him a bigger helmet,his head has got too big for the current one. :-) Thanks again Baz

Has he seen this yet? http://pilotodyssey.com
You might have to do a shift reload for the pics to show.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:50 pm 

OUCH!!! that's one tough kid! Heal well.

your posting will probably save another 50 fingers all across the world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:45 am 

Hey Hoser, that one put the biggest smile on his face, then I noticed his head got even bigger again.Don't think i'll be able to get a helmet big enough for him now,might have to get a special custom size. :-) Baz

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:45 am 

G'Day All, Just an update on Bevan's hand, cast is off,and splint has been moulded to hand. The mould splint material might be of interest to some people(like me!) for making buggy stuff. It's some sort of perforated plastic sheet that soaks in hot water then moulds around your.....whatever.I'm going to try to find out more details of it, specs,size,price etc. looks very promising.
Oh yeah, forget this is meant to be about his hand, :-) Here's pics.
Thank's again for everyones best wishes. Baz

Attachments:
SL550543.JPG
SL550543.JPG [ 230.74 KiB | Viewed 7904 times ]
SL550544.JPG
SL550544.JPG [ 204.42 KiB | Viewed 7904 times ]
SL550545.JPG
SL550545.JPG [ 214.34 KiB | Viewed 7904 times ]
SL550546.JPG
SL550546.JPG [ 200.95 KiB | Viewed 7904 times ]
SL550547.JPG
SL550547.JPG [ 214.88 KiB | Viewed 7904 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:30 am 

bugeye59 wrote:
G'Day All, Just an update on Bevan's hand, cast is off,and splint has been moulded to hand. The mould splint material might be of interest to some people(like me!) for making buggy stuff. It's some sort of perforated plastic sheet that soaks in hot water then moulds around your.....whatever.I'm going to try to find out more details of it, specs,size,price etc. looks very promising.
Oh yeah, forget this is meant to be about his hand, :-) Here's pics.
Thank's again for everyones best wishes. Baz

Yeah find out more about that stuff I have a few ideas I could use something like that on...

How long before the hand is healed, have any post op xrays?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:44 am 

6 Weeks for the hand. Post Op Xrays are on Doc's computer, will ask him to email them. That mouldable plastic,if not to dear,would have endless applications for guys like us,from making up various parts to quick and easy moulds.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:08 am 

Finally worked out how to do it with a free download of Picasa 2 from internet. FYI it enables you to resize and edit pics,hope this helps out others as hopeless as me. :-) Cheers Baz

Attachments:
Bevans hand.jpg
Bevans hand.jpg [ 138.58 KiB | Viewed 7817 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:12 am 

WOW :shock: that's quite a mass of hardware for the little bones in your hand are they going to leave them in forever?

Any info on the mouldable plastic stuff, product name? Where do we get some?

Hope the hand is healing ok.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:24 am 

Yeah they said it's meant to stay in permanent.So far so good, but only time will time.
I'm still waiting on more info about the splint plastic, but this is what i've found out so far; Bevan's one is called OPTIPERF and another is called AQUAPLAST, it's reusable a few times. Only available from medical suppliers.
Here's some links I found useful to look at.
http://www.cripps-medical.com/customer/ ... 289&page=1
http://store.devinemedical.us/splinting.html
http://www.actech-inc.com/engmrgt.htm
http://www.silon.com/Press_Releases/Pre ... 4_2000.htm

Profile E-mail