Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First 350
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:51 pm 

Just picked this stock 350 up for $400. My dad and I are familiar with the 250 world but brand new to the 350 group.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated?
Where do you guys go for parts?

Attachments:
IMG_2880.JPG
IMG_2880.JPG [ 112.8 KiB | Viewed 1285 times ]
IMG_2881.JPG
IMG_2881.JPG [ 102.66 KiB | Viewed 1285 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: First 350
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:36 am 

You stole it for that price. Nice score.
I am not home right now but will post some info in about two and a half hour. Can't do it on my phone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:26 am 

First off welcome new guy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:34 am 

1) You got that for a very good price. That's also a big red flag waving 911 911 911, to me anyways. Nobody gives things away unless there is a good reason. My money says he was having issues and said the hell with it. I see it has an aftermarket mickey mouse tank. That's the first issue. It's a gravity feed. Unless the carb has been fitted with a larger fuel needle valve under the float, your going to starve it of fuel. Also does the tank have a vented cap ?? If not you know the result, right ?? I am not a fan of over your head fuel tanks. It also makes the machine top heavy.
2) Do a compression test right away to see where you are at.
3) Do not even start this thing again until you have done a pressure/'vacuum test to verify seals are good and you have not air leaks.
4) Below is a list:
Here is my list of things to check on an oddy when you are doing an Engine job or just purchased one.
1) Fuel - your fuel pump must put out about 4.5 oz/ten seconds approx and your fuel must meet at least the minimum octane rating in manual. I run straight avgas or you can mix it 50/50 with pump fuel.
2) Do the vent modification - use the search box above.
3) Check your stock intake manifold - they're 30yrs old and crack just looking at them.
4) Check your reeds, they must seal or you could get low compression reading on your gauge. Make sure your gauge is accurate.
5) Engine must pass pressure and vacuum test - if it doesn't don't even start it, find the leak. I use 10psi max pressure and 10in vacuum in my tests and it must hold for half hour minimum.
6) Rebuild the starter, it is a big job after the Engine is in.
7) Gas tank - if it's rusty inside get it cleaned and coated at a rad shop. If you look inside with a flashlight and it looks like the pickup tubes are rusted I would tap the tank drain plug and draw fuel from there. Both my machines are like that now.
8) Original fuel and pump vacuum lines are junk now after 30yrs so replace them.
9) Remove the drive shafts and make sure the u joints are good.
10) Check the wheel bearings.
11) Over fill the transmission -- put two quarts of oil in it. It's a splash lube system and the driven shaft bearing don't get any lube unless you are driving so don't rev it in the driveway all day long
12) Adjust your brakes - I set them (F & R) so I can feel a bit of drag.
13) If doing an Engine rebuild do NOT use the paper base gasket as it blows out. Must use the metal one.
14) Some good info here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15392&hilit=danifold

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:37 am 

There is a tremendous amount of info on this site.

Searching for info:
The best way to find something here is to use the search box above.
In the search box type ONE word only and hit enter. If you don't you will get to many hits.

When the list of threads comes up there will be another search box there on the right.
In that box type ONE word only. Keep doing this as many times as you want until you have narrowed it down. Some common words will be ignored like "Engine" "Honda" etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:46 am 

I also see that you have the stock tank there. That's awesome. Take it to a rad shop to get cleaned and coated. Then look in the tank with a flashlight to verify that the pickup tubes are good. Look at the end of the tubes at the screens. They are often plugged or gone. Blow through the shut off switch to make sure the lines are clear and that you will get fuel flow through them. Then buy a new fuel pump. I run a Polaris unit on my machines part #3085275. If tubes are shot then you can tap into the drain plug of the tank. That's what my machines have.

I also see some gomer lights on that thing. The oddy electrical system is very weak. Not much extra power there so run two LED's.

You will also notice the rear suspension is ----- well ----- stiff, or more accurately none existent. The rear springs are way way to stiff. Nobody knows why Honda did that, but it must be corrected or your going to have back issues sooner or later. We run 155lb aftermarket springs and then everything is good. At least as far as my brother and I are concerned. If you want to spend big bucks then buy some air shocks. Several members here run them and are very happy, but I am too cheap. So it's just springs. The front end is good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:02 am 

I left the best for last.
For sure I am going to get attacked. We run AVGAS. The reason is that the oddy's are air cooled and located behind the seat. These bad boys run hot. That melts pistons real real easy if everything is just not perfect. Make sure you meet the min octane rating in the manual. You have been warned. You must also make sure you run the required 4.5oz in 10sec fuel flow rate. You have been warned.

You can get a free pdf manual here: http://oddatv.com/fl250-fl350-factory-manuals/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:06 am 

Every man for himself.

Amen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:40 am 

Just noticed it has no wrist restraints on the steering wheel. Not good. Get a set.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17159
Why do I say that ?? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15887&hilit=crsah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 pm 

Thanks for the start.

The guy has had this one sitting behind his barn for a couple of years and my dad asked me to stop and see if he wanted to sell.
Offered him $400 and the rest is history.

I hope to bring it back as close to stock as i can but only time and money will tell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:38 pm 

More the latter than the former.
Good luck though, definitely a lot of fun. I have 3 other projects that keep
getting put off due to fixes/upgrades on the buggy. Enjoy!

Profile E-mail