Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:07 pm 

It shouldn't be an issue if they used a reamer.

Check the local ace hardware or the big R store. They usually have an area with assorted hardware and I'll bet they have snap rings.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:25 am 

Well axles are ready to back on. still need spring clips but ordered them. Will be tread for the Engine this weekend if the weather allows. Rand?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:38 am 

I can have the Engine finished by Sunday if you like.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:29 pm 

I will not be able to come out Sunday. How about next friday?

Also the u joints i got. there is still a small gap between the caps and the spring clips but the spacers are too thick. do i need them with this aftermarket u joint?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30 pm 

Randman wrote:

Check the local ace hardware or the big R store. They usually have an area with assorted hardware and I'll bet they have snap rings.

Rand

They did not use a reamer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:02 am 

mcali2 wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

They did not use a reamer.

Oooooooooh I don't like the sounds of this thread.
I don't want to be a clown but that's not how I do it.
Also you do need washers behind clips so that the caps fit right. Not sure if they changed anything on the design of the u-joints but I doubt it. If there is a gap between cap and spring clip the cap can walk out a bit. Not good. Post some pics please. Hard to make a good call when you are trying to figure something out by ESP.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 am 

mcali2 wrote:
I will not be able to come out Sunday. How about next friday?

Also the u joints i got. there is still a small gap between the caps and the spring clips but the spacers are too thick. do i need them with this aftermarket u joint?

What time next Friday would you be coming out? I don't get home until around 6:00pm.

As far as the U joint goes, I would say that yes you would need the spacer. If not, the joint will have excessive area to move around within and the axle and cause premature U joint failure.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:16 am 

I don't know about the reaming part. The caps look good and all but I is very smooth. I can push the caps around with my vice so they are not stuck. I don't have the springs yet but what have people done for the spacers? do the stock one still work? or am I grinding them down to fit ? What time Sunday can the Engine be ready rand?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:26 am 

I'll be finishing it up on Saturday so anytime Sunday will work. Just let me know when.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:02 pm 

mcali2 wrote:
I don't know about the reaming part. The caps look good and all but I is very smooth. I can push the caps around with my vice so they are not stuck. I don't have the springs yet but what have people done for the spacers? do the stock one still work? or am I grinding them down to fit ? What time Sunday can the Engine be ready rand?

You can use the original washers if they are .058" thick.
If not you will have to buy some from the local hardware store. You MUST take a micrometer or dial caliper with you because these washers are almost certainly made in China. I guarantee if you measure the washers they will ALL be different thicknesses. The Chinamen can't even make a washer. Sad.

Edit: The key here is to get a washer that is close to the correct thickness. If you are within .002 your good (.058 and under). The outside diameter don't really matter because you can make it. If you have a lathe like I do no problem but if you don't ----- what you will do if the washer is to big OD is find a bolt that goes through it and put a nut on. Clamp it in a drill and put the drill in a vise. Lock the trigger on. Get a file and file it to correct size OD. If you have a drill press it is even easier. Same thing but put a block of wood in the vise and pivot the file between the block of wood and the washer. Basically the drill will be your lathe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:06 pm 

And I was just going to grind it flat on my belt sander. sort of tried last night but I need the spring clips. turns out the place I order them from have cancelled my order.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:05 am 

mcali2 wrote:
And I was just going to grind it flat on my belt sander. sort of tried last night but I need the spring clips. turns out the place I order them from have cancelled my order.

You should be able to get the clips from NAPA, Fastenal, a local machine shop or any place else that has industrial supplies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:22 am 

I got them all in no problem.
How about that Engine Rand? still Sunday?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:40 pm 

mcali2 wrote:
I got them all in no problem.
How about that Engine Rand? still Sunday?

I'm finishing the assembly this afternoon/evening so Sunday will be fine.

Just let me know when you want to come by.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:38 am 

Great! I can come out early in the Am. I will bring some toys too.
Here are some up date photos.

It will be great to get the Engine back in and start assembly. Then I can start on the other one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:50 am 

Mike,

Call me ASAP. Check your PM's.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:46 am 

I picked up the Engine from Rand, Thanks! I fixed a snapped studs on the exhaust and sealed the flange on. I need to do a leak down test now. With some luck I can get it back in the buggy some time this week. I ordered up the Master cylinder rebuild kits and new sight glass.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:55 am 

I was able to get the leak down test complete. Its air tight!. put on the clutch and did some clean up on the Engine and mounts. Darn mosquitoes are out! I like to get the Engine in tonight but will see. With some luck I can get it in and pull the other one out of the Dukes build.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:41 pm 

mcali2 wrote:
I was able to get the leak down test complete. Its air tight!. put on the clutch and did some clean up on the Engine and mounts. Darn mosquitoes are out! I like to get the Engine in tonight but will see. With some luck I can get it in and pull the other one out of the Dukes build.

When your get this thing all together and BEFORE you start it, do a flow test on the pump and verify the fuel flow. ( 4.5oz in 10sec approx.).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:33 am 

It seem the paint we are using does not want t stay on the frame. It is like it just fades right off. so back to sanding and repainting. Likely a different color. We will see how long that takes. My son rather just play than work and I am not going to do this build by myself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:41 am 

We have started repainting and putting stuff back on. here are some pics. I like the color better now. likes like mountain dew color.
I should have most of it back together this week and removing the Engine in the other 350 to take to rand for rebuilding.

I have been rebuilding the master cylinders and some how have 6 rebuild kits for the same side.... I keep reordering the same kit from different dealers .. anyone need a backup rebuild kit for the small side of the master?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:42 am 

New water cooled head coming this week too. I still need to fab up a mount for the rad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:41 am 

Did you get the Rand's head and a Banshee radiator?

I'm probably going to do this with my Ody.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:50 am 

Yes. I have the M Benz water pump, Banshee tank and the Rands head. well 2 of them. He told me that the heads have not been selling for some time but in the past few months everyone has been wanting them. He has some old timer make them and they are made at his timeframe so if you want one I would order it. My son has trap shooting event in Carson sat. I was going to stop by then. If your home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:51 pm 

mcali2 wrote:
Yes. I have the M Benz water pump, Banshee tank and the Rands head. well 2 of them. He told me that the heads have not been selling for some time but in the past few months everyone has been wanting them. He has some old timer make them and they are made at his timeframe so if you want one I would order it. My son has trap shooting event in Carson sat. I was going to stop by then. If your home.

I'll be home so stop on by!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next