Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: New project Pilot
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:16 pm 

I saw this on Ebay here in NJ,it was too good to pass up, I was more than surprised to see what it has on and for the price I bought it immed heres a few pictures for you.

Attachments:
New Pilot 010.jpg
New Pilot 010.jpg [ 143.71 KiB | Viewed 30638 times ]
New Pilot 011.jpg
New Pilot 011.jpg [ 155.55 KiB | Viewed 30636 times ]
New Pilot 018.jpg
New Pilot 018.jpg [ 146.54 KiB | Viewed 30635 times ]
New Pilot 009.jpg
New Pilot 009.jpg [ 149.96 KiB | Viewed 30633 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:48 pm 

The cylinder leaking by the nut (blue arrow) how about better pic of that area, whats that gob of what ever looks like sticking out of cylinder by the pink arrow?

Attachments:
new_pilot.jpg
new_pilot.jpg [ 68.52 KiB | Viewed 30625 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:40 pm 

Good eye Hoser, yes that the gasket, it is leaking there as well,the bolts on the other side of the jug are leaking as well, I am going to complete powerwash the Engine compartment and pull the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), it needs new rear arma as well, both are bent on the right side, I do not weld but will bring both to my friend for the Hoser repair mod to them.The front ball joint are in need of greasing, as well as the rear axle stubs need to be removed and lubed.As you can see from these pictures, the previous owner was not a maintence guy at all--

Attachments:
New Pilot 012.jpg
New Pilot 012.jpg [ 150.67 KiB | Viewed 30610 times ]
New Pilot 016.jpg
New Pilot 016.jpg [ 140.99 KiB | Viewed 30608 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:07 pm 

Heres a pictures of the jug Hoser, with some other pics as well

Attachments:
New Pilot 023.jpg
New Pilot 023.jpg [ 150.82 KiB | Viewed 30584 times ]
New Pilot 025.jpg
New Pilot 025.jpg [ 154.62 KiB | Viewed 30584 times ]
New Pilot 024.jpg
New Pilot 024.jpg [ 145.3 KiB | Viewed 30584 times ]
New Pilot 026.jpg
New Pilot 026.jpg [ 146.37 KiB | Viewed 30584 times ]
New Pilot 027.jpg
New Pilot 027.jpg [ 142.7 KiB | Viewed 30584 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:13 pm 

That's sweet boy! Get that thing running so you can join the coal miners on our weekend rips!

Congratulations!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:14 pm 

Read this on your cylinder leak http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopi ... inder+leak

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:20 pm 

cafercr35 wrote:
That's sweet boy! Get that thing running so you can join the coal miners on our weekend rips!

Congratulations!!!!

I forgot to call you-sorry bout that will try later this week when I have time. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:03 pm 

well, I have stripped most of the plastic off the Pilot, seats out, have checked the wire harnesses for the switches and tach, newt item is too strip it all off and power wash the hell out it, air leak test and compression test the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), pull it and rebuild.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:59 pm 

Today was a good day, got to spend some time on the Pilot .I stripped the remaining plastics off, drained the antifreeze out, removed the rad, seat pipe,belt,hoses,and drained the oil as well, my power washer took a crap dammit though, hope Hoser doesnt get too mad at me for shipping motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) that's dirty, it wasn't meant to be I guess.lol
Noticed some interesting stuff today, took some shots for you.I am going to relocate the rad on this Pilot, and recheck the front clip on it, noticed the bottom tube on the front end is alittle more bent then I thought, will check it out.I am also thinking of going with a LT kit for the front as some of the arms are bent.I looked up the exhaust side of the piston didnt look the greatest-I may just take the head of for an visual inspection prior to sending it to Hoser.I'll post everything as I go along in this project.

Attachments:
File comment: must have taken a good drop onto something, it can be fixed though.
New Pilot 041.jpg
New Pilot 041.jpg [ 156.12 KiB | Viewed 30503 times ]
File comment: front end stripped clean, the steering shaft bushing are wasted as well, way to much slap on them side to side, need to be replaced
New Pilot 038.jpg
New Pilot 038.jpg [ 143.01 KiB | Viewed 30503 times ]
File comment: Engine in process of being pulled, got too cold and I am tired for today-LOL
New Pilot 040.jpg
New Pilot 040.jpg [ 149.34 KiB | Viewed 30503 times ]
File comment: Bent front arm, not good but for a project, its perfect!!!
New Pilot 039.jpg
New Pilot 039.jpg [ 156.14 KiB | Viewed 30503 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:34 pm 

if it was me, wich it is not, i would straighten the tube out best i could, maybe even remove part were its kinked, then cut the weld cap off both ends, and put a piece of tubing thru it, actually i probbally would just cut the tube out 1" from the weld inside, then slide a tube thru it and weld, reweld caps on....just my opinion....as it will bend again if its just straigtened....

i would try to straighten before i severed the tube tho!!!
like i said just my opinion...

Attachments:
new_pilot_041_140.jpg
new_pilot_041_140.jpg [ 45 KiB | Viewed 30494 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:39 pm 

Mud - was that Pilot located in Jackson by chance??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:58 pm 

Hi Nut, nope in north jersey by the GWB.It looks familair to you, mabye you knew him?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:59 pm 

i think you can get the point, im guessing caster is somewere around 5 -8 degrees, you need to measure with frame perfect level, and the outer ball joint both sides at exact same height to compare side to side....

thanks for pics mass....lol

Attachments:
File comment: looking from the fron with wheels straight forwrd, this is kingpin inlination/scrub radius
mass1.jpg
mass1.jpg [ 51.21 KiB | Viewed 30258 times ]
File comment: ok, wheels str8 forward tire off, looking from side at the hub, this is castor
mass2.jpg
mass2.jpg [ 70.86 KiB | Viewed 30258 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:57 pm 

I'll try to get that for you tomorrow, I am preparing to remove the front end and suspension then.

Update on project:
I pulled the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) tonight-those back bolts can be such a bitch man!!I am without air tools here so Dewalt is my best friend here for the time being.I disassemblied the Powerbloc tonight as well, didn t have my puller for the crank but will get that tomorrow.I noticed something wierd-my main harness for the Pilot was grounded to the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) behind the clutch, I have never seen this before, is this the proper ground for the neg battery cable, heres a picture for you to view.

I am hoping to strip the frame down by the weekend, first I am going to scrub the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and package it for shipping to Hoser, along with my rear arms as well.I will then decide if I am going to paint the frame-or sandblast it-or just leave it and commence the rebuild.I am planning on riding this so my usual perfection and excellence in restoring it may go to wayside here, I want it functional and don't really want to worry about scratches-etc.I have the 350's for that stuff hehehe :-)

Attachments:
File comment: this is actually behind the clutch, ever seen it grounded there before?
New Pilot 045.jpg
New Pilot 045.jpg [ 143.86 KiB | Viewed 30214 times ]
File comment: trans only left, motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) gone dirty but everything is ggod, no cracks, etc the driven slid right off as well!!!
New Pilot 044.jpg
New Pilot 044.jpg [ 146.01 KiB | Viewed 30214 times ]
File comment: Engine side of clutch face, there doesn't appear to be any type of heat cracks and there are no ridges in the face.
New Pilot 046.jpg
New Pilot 046.jpg [ 145.55 KiB | Viewed 30214 times ]
File comment: I remember a thread on pucks, judging by this picture theres not too many in here.
New Pilot 048.jpg
New Pilot 048.jpg [ 137.21 KiB | Viewed 30214 times ]
File comment: don't forget I got this restore job going as well currently-this is gonna be really sweet!!
rad pictures 003.jpg
rad pictures 003.jpg [ 151.86 KiB | Viewed 30209 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:17 pm 

nothing new today on project, stripped down little stuff off frame like the air box,brackets, and driven clutch as well.I am going to wait to do any type of axles/cv maintence till after I get the frame and trans scrubbed down and powerwashed, that may be this weekend hopefully.I ordered all new front and rear suspension from SERVCIE HONDA today, along with alot of little things as well.Also need to package up the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and get it shipped to Hoser( when he gives me the ok)
I was unaware that the parking brake cables had been discontinued, anybody got 1 for sale by chance before I hit the EVILBAY??
I am still thinking of going LT in the front, but the atvr kit is way to much money-I can get every item I need AS FAR AS PARTS GO FOR replacement on the Pilot for what I would spend for the front alone, doesnt seem to make sense to me personally, I'll await any upcoming projects from other members here and see what they produce as far as that goes.Heres some pictures of the powerbolc that was on the Pilot,looks like he had the stall very high on it there are only like 6 pucks per.

Attachments:
File comment: Is this a HRD by chance?I get confused on these for some reason.
New Pilot 047.jpg
New Pilot 047.jpg [ 159.48 KiB | Viewed 30184 times ]
File comment: Inside of outer cover
New Pilot 052.jpg
New Pilot 052.jpg [ 136.56 KiB | Viewed 30184 times ]
File comment: better view of the pucks inside the main housing
New Pilot 050.jpg
New Pilot 050.jpg [ 145.38 KiB | Viewed 30184 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:40 am 

that's not a HRD clutch, measure the spring free length.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:20 pm 

Heres today's discovery, the steering shaft was very loose, I had a new bushing already from a previous Pilot,( the bottom bushing that is)I installed it and slid the shaft back inot place still has a ton of slap, heres a picture for you of the shaft, I don't have my micrometer handy but it is going to need to be built up or replaced, theres too much slap in it currently.

I measured the spring Hoser, it is 3 3/4 inches from end to end.pic included.

Also, does the end of the steering column look normal to you guys, I don't remember seeing this welded area(pictured) on my other Pilots, but it has been some time since I last worked on 1-let me know what you think please.The area is on the lower side of the column.

Attachments:
File comment: worn good
New Pilot 055.jpg
New Pilot 055.jpg [ 155.74 KiB | Viewed 29939 times ]
File comment: black color spring from powerbloc
New Pilot 053.jpg
New Pilot 053.jpg [ 140.85 KiB | Viewed 29939 times ]
New Pilot 054.jpg
New Pilot 054.jpg [ 151.52 KiB | Viewed 29939 times ]
File comment: welded area, seems to be normal or repaired by someone?
New Pilot 056.jpg
New Pilot 056.jpg [ 147.19 KiB | Viewed 29939 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:50 pm 

Here

Attachments:
pilot engine mounts.jpg [110.37 KiB]
Downloaded 1357 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:53 pm 

I don't know about Pilots, but that does seem like a re-weld.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:28 pm 

Hey Mud,

I was just looking up an order I made with Service honda on Tuesday and punched in the wrong invoice number and came up with yours, or at least I'm betting it's your's, since the items pretty much match what you've said you need or needed (their system doesn't store personal info, just the invoiced or ordered items).

Big order there!

Did you try ATV Racing to see if they have the arms? The set I got were practically new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:49 pm 

I made a longer bushing for my Pilot so it rode on the area of the shaft that is not worn, I ran into problems installing because they do a full penetration weld on the bracket and the weld goober inside hit on the over sized bushing I used a die grinder to knock it down but it was still a bitch, next one I do I will try a plastic bushing maybe when tapped in it will just plow a path through the weld and not distort the bushing?

I ended up undersizing the extended bushing area after doing the die grinder thing then after tapping the bushing in used a adjustable reamer to round out the hole again, I drilled a 1/8" hole in the back side of the steering stem housing so I can put oil in the hole and it will run down and lube the new bushing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:45 pm 

Ody_Stable wrote:
Hey Mud,

I was just looking up an order I made with Service honda on Tuesday and punched in the wrong invoice number and came up with yours, or at least I'm betting it's your's, since the items pretty much match what you've said you need or needed (their system doesn't store personal info, just the invoiced or ordered items).

Big order there!

Did you try ATV Racing to see if they have the arms? The set I got were practically new.

Hey you sneeky guy you :-) -yes that's probably my order but you never know-I tryed ATVR and got disconnected twice, gave up for today.
If they have any arms I'll buy them for spares as I already ordered all new fronts and rears from SERVICE.I had thought about buying there LT kit but for the money I can't see buying it presently-I can redo everything for under what the LT kit costs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:48 pm 

hoser wrote:
I made a longer bushing for my Pilot so it rode on the area of the shaft that is not worn, I ran into problems installing because they do a full penetration weld on the bracket and the weld goober inside hit on the over sized bushing I used a die grinder to knock it down but it was still a bitch, next one I do I will try a plastic bushing maybe when tapped in it will just plow a path through the weld and not distort the bushing?

I ended up undersizing the extended bushing area after doing the die grinder thing then after tapping the bushing in used a adjustable reamer to round out the hole again, I drilled a 1/8" hole in the back side of the steering stem housing so I can put oil in the hole and it will run down and lube the new bushing.

I looked up the columns on SERVICES page for like 63 bucks you can buy it new-I may go that route.I could bring the shaft to work and get the ironworkers to build the botton area up and grind it down, Iguess I'll see if they have the time to do so for me.
SHAFT, STEERING 81.98 59.97 my price

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:03 pm 

today progress:
I stripped the entire front end of the Pilot, all 4 arms are bent-good thing I ordered new, the bushings are totally wiped out, the right front shock was blown, almost all of the front bushings are gone to be honest.I have a brand new set of WORKS shocks leftover from another Pilot that will be used on this project, they are set to my height, weight and riding style so they will work well.The tie rods are bent, so they are going to need replacement.It is a shame the a-arms are so bent, the ball joints on them are in great shape!!I ran out of jackstands today,so the rear is going to have to wait till tomorrow for disassembly, I need to replace the trans seals and check the axle stubs will there.I will do the axle stub maintenence while Im here too, the circlips will be replaced.I also took the front drums off to check the brakes, they are in need of a good cleaning an adjustment, seems the Pilot took alittle dip sometime along its rode and they were never cleaned.

Attachments:
File comment: ready for new arms, shocks,tie rods.
New Pilot 057.jpg
New Pilot 057.jpg [ 145.91 KiB | Viewed 29579 times ]
File comment: need a good cleaning, but the bearings were clean and good grease in there.
New Pilot 058.jpg
New Pilot 058.jpg [ 151.94 KiB | Viewed 29579 times ]
File comment: It may not be the best photo, but trust me it is bent.
New Pilot 060.jpg
New Pilot 060.jpg [ 139.96 KiB | Viewed 29579 times ]
File comment: that's my cat-ADOLFs BEST FRIEND THESE DAYS lol
Junior pictures 002.jpg
Junior pictures 002.jpg [ 141.46 KiB | Viewed 29577 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:26 pm 

Pulled the clutch off today with a homemade puller (THANKS BILL FOR THE HELP!!!) I was confused as to what clutch I had, but the threads went all the way through the shaft, so it is a HRD not an ALT.The ALT I thought are metric and not threaded all the way in the shaft as mine is, so that cleared up some confusion.After seeing CAFERCR'S motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) damage in the posts from Hoser, I decided to build myself a crate for shipping of my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), I used 2x4's for a base box, fastened the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) on the bottom via the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mounts and then plywooded the outsides for a hopefully safe shipment to Hoser.
I was surprised as to how my clutch came off, it actually Popped with a loud noise, that has never happened to me before today, took me alittle off gaurd is that normal?
Heres a picture of my home made powerbloc puller, it is a 9/16 x 20tpi x 2 3/4 length bolt with an old SNAP-ON punch that I grinded down to a flat surface on the end.The length of the punch is about 4 7/8 give or take a 1/16.

Attachments:
File comment: Simple yet effective tool, cost me 4 bucks for the bolt from toll and die guy locally.Thanks BILL FOR THE HELP!!!
New Pilot.jpg
New Pilot.jpg [ 149.28 KiB | Viewed 29553 times ]
File comment: clutch from outside view-installed on motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )).
New Pilot 018.jpg
New Pilot 018.jpg [ 146.54 KiB | Viewed 29552 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next