Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:46 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
Can you give us a ballpark $$$ figure on what it is costing to powdercoat this... I am thinking of powdercoating the Purple Pilot Eater???

It is just a shade under 3 thousand for all of my powdercoating including my frame-the frame alone was $325.00 for media blasting-then $527.00 for powdercoating.BUT I got what I paid for the frame is a mirror finish.I'll take a look at my receipts on the other items.The problem here is that I sent my powdercoater parts in bulk, 350 items as well, and the invoices aren't specific for each part, just the lot-so I'll try to estimate it to a closer figure if youre really need it.

Attachments:
File comment: that's what it looked like when purchased-hehehe.
New Pilot 026.jpg
New Pilot 026.jpg [ 146.37 KiB | Viewed 21446 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:05 am 

your stuff always looks good...
I got a quote from the only place with a big enough oven to do the frame for 175.00, I might buy a sandblaster and do thjat myself to save $$$
the little pieces I think will add up to the cost...

thanks
Mudbogger wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
Can you give us a ballpark $$$ figure on what it is costing to powdercoat this... I am thinking of powdercoating the Purple Pilot Eater???

It is just a shade under 3 thousand for all of my powdercoating including my frame-the frame alone was $325.00 for media blasting-then $527.00 for powdercoating.BUT I got what I paid for the frame is a mirror finish.I'll take a look at my receipts on the other items.The problem here is that I sent my powdercoater parts in bulk, 350 items as well, and the invoices aren't specific for each part, just the lot-so I'll try to estimate it to a closer figure if youre really need it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:47 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
your stuff always looks good...
I got a quote from the only place with a big enough oven to do the frame for 175.00, I might buy a sandblaster and do thjat myself to save $$$
the little pieces I think will add up to the cost...

thanks
Mudbogger wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

Buy your own powder coat gun for smaller parts, hit the appliance stores and find a used but working electric oven to cook the parts in most stores will give the oven to you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:56 am 

Those blasting and powder coating prices are OBSCENE!
I got my mate Trevor's Sidewinder, sandblasted AUS $140,( US $105), then powdercoated AUS$150. :shock: Wish you were closer Mud! :-) ...Baz

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:08 am 

bugeye59 wrote:
Those blasting and powder coating prices are OBSCENE!
I got my mate Trevor's Sidewinder, sandblasted AUS $140,( US $105), then powdercoated AUS$150. :shock: Wish you were closer Mud! :-) ...Baz

You can build your own oven large enough to do a frame, its just a metal box that is insulated, you could cannibalize 2-3 electric ovens for the heating elements and thermostats if you wanted to start a DYI business...

Its a simple process, clean the parts, spray on the powder, bake them in a low temp oven.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:52 am 

Turbo you might want to ask around about sand blasting verses medi blasting. I do believe the media blasting is a better way to go. Don't know enough about it to send you the right direction however been watching it on t.v. and it's worth checking out before you sand blast. I do know any pressure at high rate agiinst metal will have a metbalic effect on the metal. Has something to to do with molacule displacement and the way they sfhift undres pressure. A good way to look at is hitting a piece with a hammer and watching it bend(shifting).I sure wish I would have paid more attention in class instead of pulling my wifes hair. Yea we dated all thru high school and then got married. By the way were still married had two kids grone and gone and now enjoying being kid less and laughing at our frined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:58 am 

Forgot. Midbogger you might want to change you handle to, show and shine, bling man or hot rides. I don't see any mud on your rides, I would like to though. Maybe a future ride to LS so we can see you handy work fist hand and we can drule a little. I can never get or keep mine looking like that. I usally hit the first patch of yuck I can find. I think that comes from my 4x4 days. The truck used to be called stump jumper. That was given to me by my friends I think they like the air it got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:02 pm 

I paid $75.00 to have 4 rims sand blasted... I can buy a sandblaster for 2 or 3 hundred... I will have to look into the media blasting??? Is it something you can run through a regular sandblaster setup??? I am single so I could probly run the powdercoating in the house oven, wound'nt have to worry about pissing the little lady off... I don't think I would be able to build a large oven in the front yard...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:27 pm 

Got the fuel cell tonight, with a new hardware, wanted to change the plastic cover but it is discontinued so I had no choice but to use the old one, cleaned up well though.

Attachments:
File comment: new tank with fuel pump and associated hardware ready for the frame install
Pilot fuel tank install 001.jpg
Pilot fuel tank install 001.jpg [ 146.59 KiB | Viewed 21374 times ]
File comment: Side view of new cell installed
Pilot fuel tank install 005.jpg
Pilot fuel tank install 005.jpg [ 149.83 KiB | Viewed 21374 times ]
File comment: Fuel sensor wires, are these connected right?
Pilot fuel tank install 003.jpg
Pilot fuel tank install 003.jpg [ 143.8 KiB | Viewed 21374 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:18 am 

Got the floor tub in last night as well as the front fender brackets, they are all powdercoated gloss black and look awesome.
ADNOH- I leave the mud for the trucks, the odysseys and Pilots to be honest never see and mud at all, usually I clean them -rebuild them and they just sit around most of the time,I have been know to sell them as well, mostly the 350's I have done(5) dunno why I do it, I guess I just love the sport!BTW you want to see sweet rides-you need to see Pilotmans stuff, he rides it and the stuff is showroom shine-it is unreal how he keeps his stuff, I am totally honest with you, he is a master of cleaning a ride up and maintenance as well.My stuff is nothing to his, and he rides them all the time!!!

Attachments:
File comment: front brackets all done and installed-the bolts are new as well underneath
NJ pilot floor tub pics 001.jpg
NJ pilot floor tub pics 001.jpg [ 149.08 KiB | Viewed 21348 times ]
File comment: Looky here, plastics going in!
NJ pilot floor tub pics 002.jpg
NJ pilot floor tub pics 002.jpg [ 140.7 KiB | Viewed 21348 times ]
File comment: Wish I could find a new front cover for that wheel-bothers me the way it looks, mabye spray paint it?LOL
NJ pilot floor tub pics 003.jpg
NJ pilot floor tub pics 003.jpg [ 146.61 KiB | Viewed 21348 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:08 pm 

Thanks for tip on pilotman. I had ordered a new front cover last year for one of mine, are they discontuned as well. Turbo, the rims not a big deal, however the frame my be a differnet issue. I thought in texan they did every thing big. You do live in Texas don't you. You my even make the news or they may put up sign for you as a tourrist attraction after all Kansas has the largest hand dug well, the towns gone but the well is still there. That I would like to see. The in house oven my be a toxic issue and will not allow to use it for road kill any more. Ask a powder coater about the blasting of there choice and which will preform better with the powder coating process. I thought I read some where that cromally tubes ( a-arms and trialing arms) were not to be powder coated because of the heat realted issue to the metal. Maybe "H" could do a nice in depth comment on that one. I also some red some where that someone wife is a metal ergest. Like to here her take on that. A nice colabration on the issue would interest me. The PPCE that haulls the PPE now could offer PPC ( purple powder caoting ). If i'am all wet on the blasting please let me know I smack myself and be quiet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:40 pm 

Installed the front and rear brake lines today-on the rear I used a line from ATVR steel braided-I need to install a rubber piece where it lies on the frame later today.I also bought the ATVR stainless front brake line kit, but it seems to me to a real pain in the ass to install.Anybody got a picture of the connections for it by chance?I tryed to figure it out, didn't work to well.

Attachments:
File comment: Rear line on caliper, the broken piece is discontinued from Honda-I need 1 if you have it PM me please.
pilot brake lines install 001.jpg
pilot brake lines install 001.jpg [ 149.68 KiB | Viewed 21317 times ]
File comment: Connection on the frame
pilot brake lines install 002.jpg
pilot brake lines install 002.jpg [ 152.14 KiB | Viewed 21317 times ]
File comment: Front arm-had the clamps powdercoated as well, looks nice and clean
pilot brake lines install 003.jpg
pilot brake lines install 003.jpg [ 139.84 KiB | Viewed 21317 times ]
File comment: 1 of the connections, is this were the ATVR kit is supposed to be connected from by chance?
pilot brake lines install 004.jpg
pilot brake lines install 004.jpg [ 154.87 KiB | Viewed 21317 times ]
File comment: Other side, nice and clean install, the lines even cl;eaned up rather nicely as well, n o need to replace them at present time.
pilot brake lines install 005.jpg
pilot brake lines install 005.jpg [ 150.38 KiB | Viewed 21317 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:31 pm 

Got the rest of my parts tonight from the UPS guy-front spindles, front drums,seat frame all powdercoated and ready for installation.Hopefully by the end of weekend I will have it off the horses and running.

Attachments:
File comment: spindles are back from powdercoater, new battery as well for the Pilot
Pilot front end pieces 003.jpg
Pilot front end pieces 003.jpg [ 150.55 KiB | Viewed 21264 times ]
File comment: right side rear arm,this is discontinued by Honda so I had the powdercoater media blast and coat OEM silver, new seals ans sperical bearings are going in it
Pilot front end pieces 002.jpg
Pilot front end pieces 002.jpg [ 143.39 KiB | Viewed 21264 times ]
File comment: close up of the color
Pilot front end pieces 004.jpg
Pilot front end pieces 004.jpg [ 146.32 KiB | Viewed 21264 times ]
File comment: front drums blasted and ready for new bearings and seals-gloss black
Pilot front end pieces 001.jpg
Pilot front end pieces 001.jpg [ 146.62 KiB | Viewed 21264 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:45 pm 

Worked on the 350 tonight trying to get this one as well completed for a ride in the future-heres a few pictures of the 2nd 350 in my garage-

Attachments:
File comment: Motors in, new KLEEM research air box as well
purple 350 pics 005.jpg
purple 350 pics 005.jpg [ 151.1 KiB | Viewed 21260 times ]
File comment: Triple EEE motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) with rand head, all new powdercoated exahsut and accessories as well
purple 350 pics 008.jpg
purple 350 pics 008.jpg [ 151.8 KiB | Viewed 21260 times ]
File comment: Rear suspension, looks good all powdercoated chrome and the Works shocks with rese's
purple 350 pics 010.jpg
purple 350 pics 010.jpg [ 159.56 KiB | Viewed 21260 times ]
File comment: Fuel cell, freshly done as well with all new stock OEM fuel lines
purple 350 pics 011.jpg
purple 350 pics 011.jpg [ 152.3 KiB | Viewed 21260 times ]
File comment: Rear look
purple 350 pics 012.jpg
purple 350 pics 012.jpg [ 152.74 KiB | Viewed 21260 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:48 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Worked on the 350 tonight trying to get this one as well completed for a ride in the future-heres a few pictures of the 2nd 350 in my garage-

Purple Pilot eater?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:57 am 

hoser wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:

Purple Pilot eater?

That's a pretty purple pilot eater!!!

He has inspired me to tear mine down and redo... but only after I have something else to ride as I am not as patient as he is...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:14 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
hoser wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:

Purple Pilot eater?

He has inspired me to tear mine down and redo... but only after I have something else to ride as I am not as patient as he is...

Don't do it, just ride it!!LOL I am having trouble getting the brakes bled out-3 hrs last night and still no hard lever, they are working but the levers arent hard,tryed the Mighty vac-vacuum tester, still no pressure on the levers.I'll try again today to bleed them out some more, I did do a complete rear caliper rebuild so there may be alot of air in there even after using the Mighty Vac.I adjusted the rear shoes and emergency brake on the caliper as well prior to bleeding.I am going to mount a Pilot rad on this ody with a water pump, the rad will mount directly behind the head net.I am going to use a piece of diamond plate drill 2 holes and mount it directly into the mounts for the seat belts-then try to make a custom shape and drill 2 more holes, take used rubber grommets and have the rad sit in them like it does on a stock pilot set-up.Heres some pictures.

Attachments:
File comment: Hard to see but the head net is right behind the rad here.
purple 350 pics 007.jpg
purple 350 pics 007.jpg [ 147.39 KiB | Viewed 21240 times ]
File comment: Water pump for the system-it is a Merceds benz I think-but not sure.
purple 350 pics 013.jpg
purple 350 pics 013.jpg [ 152.72 KiB | Viewed 21240 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:46 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
hoser wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:

Purple Pilot eater?

Don't do it, just ride it!!LOL I am having trouble getting the brakes bled out-3 hrs last night and still no hard lever, they are working but the levers arent hard,tryed the Mighty vac-vacuum tester, still no pressure on the levers.I'll try again today to bleed them out some more, I did do a complete rear caliper rebuild so there may be alot of air in there even after using the Mighty Vac.I adjusted the rear shoes and emergency brake on the caliper as well prior to bleeding.I am going to mount a Pilot rad on this ody with a water pump, the rad will mount directly behind the head net.I am going to use a piece of diamond plate drill 2 holes and mount it directly into the mounts for the seat belts-then try to make a custom shape and drill 2 more holes, take used rubber grommets and have the rad sit in them like it does on a stock pilot set-up.Heres some pictures.

Adjust the brakes so tight you cant turn the drum then bleed

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:19 pm 

ok, will do.I have it standing on it's end currently trying the gravity method you mentioned in the chat.Before that I mounted the spare Pilot rad I had on it, heres a few pictures.

Attachments:
purple 350 pics 015.jpg
purple 350 pics 015.jpg [ 151.24 KiB | Viewed 21226 times ]
File comment: A look at the plate I used for mounting the rad,it sits on the plate like the stock set-up, there are 2 rubber grommets inserted on the plate for it that you cant see
purple 350 pics 016.jpg
purple 350 pics 016.jpg [ 153.2 KiB | Viewed 21226 times ]
File comment: left side look at mounting plate
purple 350 pics 014.jpg
purple 350 pics 014.jpg [ 156.89 KiB | Viewed 21226 times ]
File comment: Look at the brackets I made up, the clamps are headlight clamps that are stock OEM for the 350's they work great.
purple 350 pics 018.jpg
purple 350 pics 018.jpg [ 143.08 KiB | Viewed 21226 times ]
File comment: heres where I am going to moun the water pump, theres alot of room there and it's open for connections, etc
purple 350 pics 020.jpg
purple 350 pics 020.jpg [ 154.84 KiB | Viewed 21226 times ]
File comment: Look from the front
purple 350 pics 019.jpg
purple 350 pics 019.jpg [ 152.38 KiB | Viewed 21226 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:10 pm 

I just put a new tranny in that had a different rotor, and I had fits getting my rears to work, but hoser's right adjust parking brake bolt till it won't hardly move and then pump it up!!! I like the mighty vac... I can pump it up, release the bleed nut and then go to the front to top off the mc untill no more bubbles... If you ride it remember the brakes are not matched yet so they will get hot quick.... short runs and then back off the bolt

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:16 am 

This 1 is going to ridden for sure-I am building it for my fiance so she can come with me on rides(yeah right but it's the thought that counts)the exhaust and front suspension are all stock but I waNted it that way-I really like to just have her ride with no issues so stock seemed the way to go, reliability is the key here and with the Pilot rad that will greatly improve it.Thanks for the tip on the brakes, I'll tighten the rear caliper up as well and try my luck again.Anybody got link for a electric brake bleeding system by chance?This is such a pain, takes way too much time that I can use on the Pilot-LOL
Powdercoated coated the areas on my front spindles where the backing plate sits so I have to scrap or cut the effected areas for them to sit flush, thank god he took the time to insert rubber in the spindles themselves or I would be having fits to insert the ball joints and tie rod ends-LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:06 pm 

Got a ton of work done today on the Project Pilot-completed the front suspension and right rear as well.Installed all new bearings and seals in the front drums,all fresh powdercoated backing plates as well.Installed the expansion chamber and silencer with new exhaust seals in the flange.Installed the new sperical bearings, new seals and spacers in the right rear arm and installed it to button up the rear as well, I could have put the tires and rims on it and it would have been a rolling chasiss-but I need to align the front end and it would seem easier to do it on the workhorses.All that's needed for fire-up is heater hoses, fuel and oil.I want the new style heater line they have -it is clear or blue in color.

Attachments:
File comment: All new hardware inside as well
Finished  NJ Pilot front end parts installed (10).jpg
Finished NJ Pilot front end parts installed (10).jpg [ 146.64 KiB | Viewed 21432 times ]
File comment: Left side completed
Finished  NJ Pilot front end parts installed (6).jpg
Finished NJ Pilot front end parts installed (6).jpg [ 156.09 KiB | Viewed 21432 times ]
File comment: New bearings and seals installed in the front drums
Finished  NJ Pilot front end parts installed (11).jpg
Finished NJ Pilot front end parts installed (11).jpg [ 141.3 KiB | Viewed 21432 times ]
File comment: Right side look at completed suspension
Finished  NJ Pilot right front suspension picture (9).jpg
Finished NJ Pilot right front suspension picture (9).jpg [ 142.94 KiB | Viewed 21432 times ]
File comment: Powerbloc installed with expansion chamber as well.Look from rear, alignment looks good to me!
NJ Pilot powerbloc.jpg
NJ Pilot powerbloc.jpg [ 139.41 KiB | Viewed 21432 times ]
File comment: Fresh powdercoated seat frame in as well, pipe is in but hard to see here.
Nj Pilot Pipe installed.jpg
Nj Pilot Pipe installed.jpg [ 153.15 KiB | Viewed 21432 times ]
File comment: Another look at PIPE.
Nj Pilot pipe.jpg
Nj Pilot pipe.jpg [ 142.03 KiB | Viewed 21432 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:13 pm 

More Pictures :parts installed for front end including brakes.

Attachments:
File comment: Front drum nut-both are new from Honda
Finished  NJ Pilot front end parts installed.jpg
Finished NJ Pilot front end parts installed.jpg [ 142.77 KiB | Viewed 21431 times ]
File comment: Bearing front drum
Finished  NJ Pilot front end parts installed (13).jpg
Finished NJ Pilot front end parts installed (13).jpg [ 142.99 KiB | Viewed 21431 times ]
File comment: Seals
Finished  NJ Pilot front end parts installed (14).jpg
Finished NJ Pilot front end parts installed (14).jpg [ 146.47 KiB | Viewed 21431 times ]
File comment: Seals again
Finished  NJ Pilot front end parts installed (15).jpg
Finished NJ Pilot front end parts installed (15).jpg [ 148.04 KiB | Viewed 21431 times ]
File comment: Bearings front drum again
Finished  NJ Pilot front end parts installed (16).jpg
Finished NJ Pilot front end parts installed (16).jpg [ 154.86 KiB | Viewed 21431 times ]
File comment: Brake hardware for drums
new front brake parts for Pilot.jpg
new front brake parts for Pilot.jpg [ 139.2 KiB | Viewed 21431 times ]
File comment: What it looked like when I purchased-thats was then-
New Pilot 058.jpg
New Pilot 058.jpg [ 151.94 KiB | Viewed 21431 times ]
File comment: This is now-alot better huh?
Finished  NJ Pilot front end parts installed (10).jpg
Finished NJ Pilot front end parts installed (10).jpg [ 146.64 KiB | Viewed 21431 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:30 pm 

Got another Service Honda order in today-I should buy stock in them-LOL.Havent had too much time to work on the Pilot, have pretty much buttoned up alot of loosen ends and little stuff as of late..I did complete the brake bleeding on rear and front, I am having an issue with the front brakes as the brake lever is subpar presently, but otherwise is ok.
I will try to get some fuel to run the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and mabye heat cycle it for a spell tonight, but I think reality is tomorrow for sure.Heres a pic of the new parts, alot of cosmetic stuff for the plastics including 2 new Mirrors.

Attachments:
File comment: Clips,screws for plastics, spindle nuts, spacers for front hubs,axle circlips, and other goodies.
New parts for NJ Pilot 001.jpg
New parts for NJ Pilot 001.jpg [ 151.13 KiB | Viewed 21394 times ]
File comment: Mirrors, sweet!Love new parts.
New parts for NJ Pilot 002.jpg
New parts for NJ Pilot 002.jpg [ 153.83 KiB | Viewed 21394 times ]
File comment: OEM belt as well.
New parts for NJ Pilot 003.jpg
New parts for NJ Pilot 003.jpg [ 146.33 KiB | Viewed 21394 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:06 pm 

Got the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) running, and heat cycled it as well, jetting is rich for the break in, then I'll lean it out afterwards.I am still currently trying to get the brake lever for the front brakes harder-my Mighty vac took a crap so I ordered a new 1-until then I am trying the hand bleed way but still not enough -the handle is 3/4 pullerd till the brakes are fully locked, the rear is at 1/4 till it locks up solid.I am going to start installing the plastics mabye tonight-might wwait and put the tires and rims on for a pic or 2 before installing for resale options-LOL.
BTW The tach works perfectly, thanks to MASSODY and his wife KATHY for the rebuilding on that as well as HOSER for the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), it is flawless and jetting was extremely easy on it as well with the rad relocate.I highly recommend that mod over anything else, it eases the ability to access the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) so so much IMO.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next