Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:43 pm 

nearly finished

Attachments:
how it will look.jpg
how it will look.jpg [ 106.96 KiB | Viewed 4955 times ]
front view.jpg
front view.jpg [ 100.95 KiB | Viewed 4941 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:53 pm 

Hey that's taking on a whole new look.

So whats next?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:05 pm 

Next I have to put the interior wall back in, then put down the diamond plate on the floor, probably paint the interior walls, install a couple of windows, put the new seats and carpet in the front, install the rear view TV, install cruise control......yikes..... I still have a lot to do, but, the worst is behind me. I am so thrilled to have the roof worked out, that all these other things look like practically nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:36 pm 

Looking great!! When is the maiden trip?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:42 pm 

tedpilot wrote:
Looking great!! When is the maiden trip?

Pretty soon, I hope....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:13 pm 

I am worn out just looking at all that extra work ya'll did... Funny I didn't see Jerry WORKING in any of the pictures LOL... It does look good, and Tedpilot is right... We are Due for another gathering!!! I am antsy to ride with some friends...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:43 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
I am worn out just looking at all that extra work ya'll did... Funny I didn't see Jerry WORKING in any of the pictures LOL... It does look good, and Tedpilot is right... We are Due for another gathering!!! I am antsy to ride with some friends...

Yeah, I am about ready to ride also, but still have a lot to do on this project.

As soon as it cools down a bit......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:45 pm 

Today's progress, the wife helped me bolt it on. I didn't put any caulk in it yet, wanted to be sure it fit right. Now to loosen it up and caulk it. Next is diamond plate for the floor.

Attachments:
DSCN3010.JPG
DSCN3010.JPG [ 207.5 KiB | Viewed 4768 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:10 pm 

Drakman wrote:
Today's progress, the wife helped me bolt it on. I didn't put any caulk in it yet, wanted to be sure it fit right. Now to loosen it up and caulk it. Next is diamond plate for the floor.

Nice, any pics of the new storage inside ?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:37 pm 

Wow, I still can't believe how much better it looks! You'll even get better gas milleage out of it and have a little bit more storage.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:50 am 

Drakman, what secures the leading edge of the aeroshell to the roof of the cab?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:46 pm 

He was using bolts through the roof which appears to be the industry standard. The bottom of the airdam has tabs on it for mounting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:54 pm 

Thanks Ted!

Don't forget to seal inside and outside of the shell.

I recommend 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200, tack-free in 1hr, cures in 24. Great stuff, seals fiberglass wonderfully and remains flexible throughout a wide temp. range. I've used it with great success and a friend of mine has used it for years on his boat he keeps in Puget Sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:10 pm 

DunePilot wrote:
Drakman, what secures the leading edge of the aeroshell to the roof of the cab?

Here is a photo of inside the cap/air dam, there is a continuous flange around the roof, on the box portion, the cap overlaps and bolts (at least that is what I am doing) to the box.

I have seen Supreme air dams, they don't appear to have the interior the same as this, since those I have seen have an exterior flange that is bolted to the top-front part of the cab roof.

Attachments:
File comment: I am planning to put more fasteners in here when I do the final attachment and sealing.
inside air dam.jpg
inside air dam.jpg [ 124.87 KiB | Viewed 4970 times ]
File comment: This is a shot of the front future overhead storage area. I plan to cut the wall down approx. six inches more and put a shelf in the bottom of the air dam.
future storage space.jpg
future storage space.jpg [ 167.1 KiB | Viewed 4770 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:05 am 

You will want to put the sealant under that tab, not just along the seams.

Leaving an opening between the cab and box can create a booming sound or low rumble. Over time, this harmonic will fatigue you, to say the least. A closure panel would help reduce that harmonic.

Some suggestions:

I highly recommend putting some type of sound dampning material on the interior walls, roof, aeroshell and the floor. There are some very good materials out there, search for sound damping material used in cars with high-end sound systems. The cheap stuff is not as effective as the quality stuff. Undercoat is a terrific sound dampner for the floor. Be sure the underside of the van is completely clean, as dirt will increase the likelyhood of corrosion development.

If you elect to put a closure panel in (between the cab and box), consider moving it inboard to the box a few inches (4-6), then cut out any existing material between the cab and box, if there is any. Doing this will increase your ability to recline the seatbacks, making for a much more comfortable ride, even if you are replacing the seats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:08 am 

DunePilot wrote:
You will want to put the sealant under that tab, not just along the seams.

Leaving an opening between the cab and box can create a booming sound or low rumble. Over time, this harmonic will fatigue you, to say the least. A closure panel would help reduce that harmonic.

Some suggestions:

I highly recommend putting some type of sound dampning material on the interior walls, roof, aeroshell and the floor. There are some very good materials out there, search for sound damping material used in cars with high-end sound systems. The cheap stuff is not as effective as the quality stuff. Undercoat is a terrific sound dampner for the floor. Be sure the underside of the van is completely clean, as dirt will increase the likelyhood of corrosion development.

If you elect to put a closure panel in (between the cab and box), consider moving it inboard to the box a few inches (4-6), then cut out any existing material between the cab and box, if there is any. Doing this will increase your ability to recline the seatbacks, making for a much more comfortable ride, even if you are replacing the seats.

I found this on a Vdub site

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:22 am 

Some of the things that are in the works.

Installing diamond plate on the box floor now, almost finished with that.

Build a wall between cab and box, plan to set it back into the box 8 inches, that is where the original metal wall was located and seemed plenty of space to lean back the seats, not really recline, but to tilt back a bit. Wall is to be plywood with sound board sandwiched in between, line inside of wall with carpet, for both sound and looks, I know this is nothing more than a shade tree mechanic fix, but it should be cheap and hopefully it will help on sound.

Loosen the air dam and seal all around and under it, not just on the edges.

After air dam is re-attached, put foam insulation in the bottom/over cab roof, due to irregular shape, insulation will vary between 1 and 2 inches thick, then put a plywood shelf above that, carpet top of shelf.

I have carpet for the cab and will install that and the seats when all the messy stuff is done.

The under side of the box floor is undercoated with what looks like an asphalt material, trying to do much more there looks like a pretty tall order, so for now I don't plan to do anymore there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:12 pm 

http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/index.php

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:45 pm 

hoser wrote:
http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/index.php

Thanks, that is the one I had bookmarked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:35 pm 

Made a little more progress since I last posted. Got the new front interior in, cloth seats and carpet for the floor, also got the rear view camera and monitor in, monitor is attached to the mirror, didn't need the mirror anyway since I can't see out the back. Also got the diamond plate on the rear cargo floor, but forgot to take a picture of that.

Attachments:
File comment: It is amazing that with the Engine just an inch or so in front of the 'dog house' that there isn't more noise than what there is.
before.jpg
before.jpg [ 149.19 KiB | Viewed 4883 times ]
File comment: The next rear shot will have a wall between the cab and the box, it is lying on the floor ready to bolt in, insulated and carpeted.
rear before.jpg
rear before.jpg [ 183.57 KiB | Viewed 4883 times ]
File comment: Took this before the headliner went in, it is in now and looks better.
after.jpg
after.jpg [ 129.55 KiB | Viewed 4883 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:13 am 

Looking nice..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:39 pm 

Today's progress......got the wall installed, shown here with my Super helper, my grandson Nick, 11 years old, loves tools and working on stuff.

Attachments:
carpeted cab.jpg
carpeted cab.jpg [ 123.06 KiB | Viewed 4857 times ]
Helper and floor.jpg
Helper and floor.jpg [ 162.03 KiB | Viewed 4857 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:52 pm 

Major milestone today, got the Drak loaded. Went in real easy, the low floor height helps make the grade easy. I took a pair of steel ramps, cut them up and made small ramps for over the wheel wells, also put a cover over the step well to be sure the front Drak wheel doesn't fall in during transit, it is more like a portable bridge, angle iron on the ends and just drops in. The loading ramps and the ramps over the wheel wells have pins to keep them from slipping during loading. Forgot to take a picture of the front after it was loaded, but, the is a fair amount of space to put a lot of stuff.

Attachments:
ready to load.jpg
ready to load.jpg [ 137.57 KiB | Viewed 5049 times ]
ramps over wheel wells.jpg
ramps over wheel wells.jpg [ 198.17 KiB | Viewed 5049 times ]
bridge over step well.jpg
bridge over step well.jpg [ 225.64 KiB | Viewed 5049 times ]
Ready for maiden voyage, Walden later this week.jpg
Ready for maiden voyage, Walden later this week.jpg [ 186.25 KiB | Viewed 5049 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:32 pm 

That sure worked great... I see alot of these being built by others coming!!!
I had thought ya'll were there in Walden this weekend...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:32 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
That sure worked great... I see alot of these being built by others coming!!!
I had thought ya'll were there in Walden this weekend...

Eddy is heading up on Thursday, I should be there on Friday, Gary, (Nuke Em) is also coming, if you're in the area, stop by.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next