Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:13 pm 

My Son convinced me this was the bike he HAD TO HAVE even after several... I don't like Honda's??? (must be his Mom's Blood in him??? It was the first bike we looked at and I saw several problems right off... New carb hose old was leaking, New rear tire, replace handlebars, brake and clutch lever's new clutch cable, new rear brake pads( just no as new as I would like but still lock up fine. I had the local Honda shop replace the tire and fix the handlebar issues as they could do it faster than I and the boy needed to ride... Well Ride he did!!! I was surprised how well he did on his first day... I made him make a few laps going thru the gears, then some turns on the flats and then after about an hour of warming up I turned him loose on the track...
After the day was over I did notice some leaking from the carb... And maybe some from behind the sprocket...

Attachments:
File comment: Before we washed it down...
buffalovalley030.JPG
buffalovalley030.JPG [ 46.87 KiB | Viewed 4346 times ]
buffalovalley008.JPG
buffalovalley008.JPG [ 41.19 KiB | Viewed 4346 times ]
buffalovalley011.JPG
buffalovalley011.JPG [ 31.61 KiB | Viewed 4346 times ]
buffalovalley015.JPG
buffalovalley015.JPG [ 24.65 KiB | Viewed 4346 times ]
buffalovalley016.JPG
buffalovalley016.JPG [ 41.02 KiB | Viewed 4346 times ]
buffalovalley017.JPG
buffalovalley017.JPG [ 32.14 KiB | Viewed 4346 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:19 pm 

Here is the leakage...

Attachments:
buffalovalley026.JPG
buffalovalley026.JPG [ 50.58 KiB | Viewed 4345 times ]
buffalovalley027.JPG
buffalovalley027.JPG [ 48.2 KiB | Viewed 4345 times ]
buffalovalley028.JPG
buffalovalley028.JPG [ 37.89 KiB | Viewed 4345 times ]
buffalovalley029.JPG
buffalovalley029.JPG [ 55.75 KiB | Viewed 4345 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:04 am 

If that's the first time your boys riden he`s taken to it quickly. Whats wrong with Honda bikes? :shock:

Post subject: New Bike
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:12 am 

Turbo,
Congrats on the new bike, your son seems like a natural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:32 am 

The counter shaft seal prolly needs replaced. Pull the frt sprocket off. Seal just presses into the case. Pull the carb and tighten all the screws around the bowl make sure hoses and clamps are good maybe a new bowl gasket.
For gods sake give the boy a new set of numbers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:22 am 

Stoneman wrote:
The counter shaft seal prolly needs replaced. Pull the frt sprocket off. Seal just presses into the case. Pull the carb and tighten all the screws around the bowl make sure hoses and clamps are good maybe a new bowl gasket.

Waiting on a manual, how do I pull the old seal off??? the carb gets pulled this morning...

True story on the numbers... I never explained adult version of these numbers, (he's only 12) and Saturday Night I dropped him off at his Mothers side of the family's wedding function, with several well to do Baptist folks in attendence at the reception... Kid is running around saying 69 69 69 69 refering to his new bike he was soooo proud of...

His Mother was EXTREAMLY EMBARRASED!!! The numbers stay!!! LMAO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:31 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
Stoneman wrote:

Waiting on a manual, how do I pull the old seal off??? the carb gets pulled this morning...

True story on the numbers... I never explained adult version of these numbers, (he's only 12) and Saturday Night I dropped him off at his Mothers side of the family's wedding function, with several well to do Baptist folks in attendence at the reception... Kid is running around saying 69 69 69 69 refering to his new bike he was soooo proud of...

His Mother was EXTREAMLY EMBARRASED!!! The numbers stay!!! LMAO

Slowly screw a sheet metal screw into the center of the seal then pull with a pliers sometimes you need to install 2 of them 180 degrees apart.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:24 pm 

Well it was not the seal leaking on the output shaft, I believe it was just chain lube. The Honda Shop did oil the chain when there... I did pull the carb and swapped out the bottom piece simply cause I didn't have a new gasket o-ring for the bowl. Gave it a good going over and I will have to put one of these on my Ody soon!!! I am embarrased that my sons carb is bigger than mine!!! LOL I scared myself when I started this up the other day after a good washing at the car wash!!! I used the green Engine cleaner from the wash and when I started it up I had green coming out the stator side cover!!! I thought it was anti-freeze at first site!!! LOL took me a good 5 minutes of stareing at the thing trying to see how radiator water got in there... Doh...
Some other issues I need to get to is a new sprocket up front, and then see if I can get the pipe dents out... I will try the freezer trick if that don't work I will send to someone else, or just replace with a FMF Fatty... There are quite a few various nuts and bolts missing so I will probly strip plastic down to frame and reassemble and loctite everything... Any other suggestions???
I know this is kinda off topic, not really a Ody or Pilot, but I have looked at a couple of M/C boards and seems 88% of the posts are from kids who watched there Dad do it one time at camp and now they are posting 16 different suggestions to each post!!!
Thanks...
David

Attachments:
File comment: Looks like thisa aint the first time water has gotten into here???
dakotas bike2005.JPG
dakotas bike2005.JPG [ 49.91 KiB | Viewed 4273 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:33 pm 

More pictures...

Attachments:
File comment: looks like the crude is all inside the chain line???
dakotas bike2015.JPG
dakotas bike2015.JPG [ 51.62 KiB | Viewed 4271 times ]
File comment: Broken sprocket, and it's clean on the side next to seal...
dakotas bike2013.JPG
dakotas bike2013.JPG [ 60.33 KiB | Viewed 4271 times ]
File comment: All cleaned up...
dakotas bike2019.JPG
dakotas bike2019.JPG [ 52.8 KiB | Viewed 4271 times ]
File comment: All cleaned up and started on the first kick!!!
Took me a second to get rpm's back down...LOL

dakotas bike2022.JPG
dakotas bike2022.JPG [ 59.39 KiB | Viewed 4271 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:34 pm 

This site has solid info

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=194

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:41 pm 

Was the boot on the intake side of the carb that goes to the air box wet inside when you pulled the carb?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:15 pm 

hoser wrote:
Was the boot on the intake side of the carb that goes to the air box wet inside when you pulled the carb?

I didn't check... I do see the band clamp is missing so I will have to pull the carb again to put the band on... Needs a new UNI filter. I did clean the existing filter it was real dirty... What would be going on if it's wet inside the boot???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:36 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
hoser wrote:

I didn't check... I do see the band clamp is missing so I will have to pull the carb again to put the band on... Needs a new UNI filter. I did clean the existing filter it was real dirty... What would be going on if it's wet inside the boot???

Bad reeds or weak reeds, at lower RPM it will spit back out the carb, pool then leak down back of carb like in your pics if the clamp is not tight or making a good deal or if boot is split.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:54 pm 

I guess I better buy some reeds tomorrow also...
Any suggetions???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:16 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
Any suggetions???

See if that is the problem first...

No suggestions on the reeds, see what Honda offers as a replacement, boyseen maybe?

No doubt if you ask on the bike boards 200 kids will tell you get carbon fiber, chrome plated or Vforce lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:09 am 

hoser wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
Any suggetions???

See if that is the problem first...

No suggestions on the reeds, see what Honda offers as a replacement, boyseen maybe?

No doubt if you ask on the bike boards 200 kids will tell you get carbon fiber, chrome plated or Vforce lol

I have been reading thumpertalk... kids are big blinghomo's????

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:19 am 

Going buy the condition of the counter sprocket you need a new chain and sprockets. Change the whole set not just what looks worn, that missing tooth is more than likely caused buy someone going cheap and putting a new chain on old worn sprockets.
Whats wrong with Honda bikes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:29 am 

My guess on the oil leak is someone has gone overboard with filter oil and not given the foam a good sqeeze and it filling the bottom of the airbox and weeping out of the rubber boot connection to the inlet of the carby which has NO CLAMP :shock: :shock: I can see a ring change in the near future :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:01 am 

lc4 wrote:

Whats wrong with Honda bikes?

Nothing!!! but you know kids nowadays??? I have always wanted a Honda bike... but am to old and brittle to really ride one hard!!! Getting tossed around by Bulls in the good ol' days took it's toll!!! LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h20EgSXDmA

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:02 am 

lc4 wrote:
My guess on the oil leak is someone has gone overboard with filter oil and not given the foam a good sqeeze and it filling the bottom of the airbox and weeping out of the rubber boot connection to the inlet of the carby which has NO CLAMP :shock: :shock: I can see a ring change in the near future :-)

Yes the filter was oiled that day before ride... I never noticed clamp till recently...
Do I need new gasket if I pull reeds out to inspect???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:27 am 

Yes the filter was oiled that day before ride... I never noticed clamp till recently...
Do I need new gasket if I pull reeds out to inspect???[/quote]

Be a good idea to have a fresh set handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:12 am 

New front sprocket, chain, and reeds are in the house. I have ordered a new clamp but will use a hose clamp until then. I have a new reed cage gasket and reeds incase I need them... It's a little chilly outside 55* and this will wait till it warms up this afternoon!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:41 pm 

I got the rear Brakes replaced and lined out every thing else... After the brakes were done I inspected the rear wheel and there were enough loose spokes to warrent taking back to Honda Shop in New Braunfels to have them true the wheel... The front looks to be tight all around. I don't have the time or the patience to try to learn how to true a wheel...
I believe this will be a Money pit... Oh the things A Dad will do for his Child??? LOL

Attachments:
File comment: Old Sprocket on top. You can see the wear if you look close enough...
dakotas bike2005-1.JPG
dakotas bike2005-1.JPG [ 52.79 KiB | Viewed 4225 times ]
dakotas bike2006-1.JPG
dakotas bike2006-1.JPG [ 42.4 KiB | Viewed 4225 times ]
File comment: Reeds and gasket
dakotas bike2007-1.JPG
dakotas bike2007-1.JPG [ 42.28 KiB | Viewed 4225 times ]
File comment: Just the second trip for parts...
dakotas bike2008-1.JPG
dakotas bike2008-1.JPG [ 52.25 KiB | Viewed 4225 times ]
File comment: This is how dirty the rear brake fluid looked... Flushed all this out and replaced with dot 3 synthetic. Is this the best choice, I was also told dot 5???
dakotas bike2009-1.JPG
dakotas bike2009-1.JPG [ 31.59 KiB | Viewed 4225 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:17 pm 

Well this story never ends... Picked up the bike from the Honda shop after they tightened all the spokes on the rear wheel. When we get it off the truck at the house... MAJOR fuel leak... A hole in the side of the gas tank low and patched with some kind of rubber plastic weld crap... and the graffix taped back down??? I spent most of the morning on the phone looking for this and found one near Austin, TX so off I go for the 110 mile round trip... Come home and while taking plastic rear number plates off we discover that the silencer has been rubbing the tires on full compression and that it was tweaked into the tire well... The kid was told to tighten the bolt, and I realised this wouldn't work... I asked him to remove the bolt and I would straighten the stinger on the silencer, and he broke the screw when taking it out... I admitted it was MY fault and spent the next hour and a half and two trips to town for a screw extractor and tap to bolt the stinger back into place... LOL
After seeing so much damage on this Bike I am positive it has been violently wrecked... I did a thorough inspection of the frame and didn't find any cracks... (I pray I didn't miss any) We have decided to get this thing up and running and keep it as a Reserve or backup bike. I am not the kinda guy who would sell this to someone knowing what kind of condition it is in... Especially if a Child is involved... The Guy I bought it from was a Firefighter and I only wished he had a conscience... I think he would have been better off just parting it out on ebay... I can not BLAME him as I had the final descision... but the boy's eyes just lit up, and after the week he had all we wanted to do was ride... not wrench!!! But we had a good day at it just hanging together... Biggest reason I am so well invested in this sport...
Also changed the OIL in the gearbox with purple oil suff supposed to be good???
what is normally used???

Attachments:
File comment: in case I need the vin somewhere...
dakotas bike 4002.JPG
dakotas bike 4002.JPG [ 35.01 KiB | Viewed 4193 times ]
File comment: He needs to learn how to prep this thing for racing...
dakotas bike 4003.JPG
dakotas bike 4003.JPG [ 58.82 KiB | Viewed 4193 times ]
File comment: He wants to leave it here at Home, and if I am out of town his Mom wants to be able to take him to a race... He needs to learn how to prep this thing for racing... LOL
dakotas bike 4004.JPG
dakotas bike 4004.JPG [ 47.15 KiB | Viewed 4193 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:50 pm 

Please Make It Stop!!!

This thing bit me on the arse again!! We washed and cleaned every nook and cranny last night in an effort to teach the youngster what to look for after every ride/race day and all looked good!!! We cleaned the air filter and left it out to dry overnight. Installed and off to the track we go!!! I unloaded the bike while the boy got changed into his riding suit and lo and behold I see Radiator fluid dripping out of the bottom of one tank... I inspect closer and see a hose was way loose and the band clamp wasn't even tight??? Tightened up and started again and still had the drips??? Turns out that this radiator has been repaired once before, and now was leaking on the elbow that crosses from one rad to the next... The Radiator is on it's way to town in the morning to be patched...
When will it ever end??? LOL
Kid admitted he had learned his lesson... don't jump on the first horse you see... Wait for the rest of the herd to show up before choosing!!! (Old Cowboy saying)

Profile E-mail