Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:02 pm 

Twilight wrote:
This is why i'm not going to say shit here anymore, if your going to fly off the handle after I stated "this is JUST MY OPINION", then screw it. I'll stay away from here and Kiowa's board.

Back to mini-buggy for me.

later

Hoser u can ban me if you want.

Holy crap, please calm down man. :shock:
don't let it get to you, it is only a message board!!!, your comment are needed here for all-don't ask Hoser to ban you, that's plan dumb, let it go for a spell and you'll be right back on the board-relax, it's all good.Getting banned for that will not happen-if you were in the chat you might get kicked out by me for that-I have a itchy trigger finger lately-lol :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:49 pm 

im good. i shall just leave, i want u to ban me to make sure i wont post anymore... but whatever.

my comments arent needed, i seem like a idiot anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:55 pm 

Twilight wrote:
im good. i shall just leave, i want u to ban me to make sure i wont post anymore... but whatever.

Ok then bye for now.I apprec your comments anyhow.Try to stop back periodically as things may change-times do-

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:32 am 

Twilight wrote:

No one has thought that or even mentioned that here on this board!!! Not our style, others like to do that for unknown reasons???
Your comments and input are always welcomed but when you make such a bold statement please be prepared to back it up!!! That's just common courtesy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:13 am 

i heard a crushing sound and saw what seemed to be the outer a-arm hit the ground. i also would never put my ody down a slope like that with shocks that loose or at that angles. that's what im ending my posting with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:41 am 

Twilight wrote:
i heard a crushing sound and saw what seemed to be the outer a-arm hit the ground. i also would never put my ody down a slope like that with shocks that loose or at that angles. that's what im ending my posting with.

I have descended hills steeper than that at the bottom hundreds of times in my Pilot, I have also went up hills with a abrupt chage at the bottom like his ramps are set hundreds of times, at the dunes it blast sand in your face, on dirt its a nice thud lol I know its not his 350 with a LT front suspension but I thought you might want to know, this is partly why my Pilot is not a pretty Pilot no use pimping it up to take a thrashing lol

U-tube butchers the clarity of the videos when you upload them Turbo can you send me a copy of that video maybe I can post a clear version? Maybe you can video again closer up also?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:58 am 

Quote:
Your comments and input are always welcomed but when you make such a bold statement please be prepared to back it up!!! That's just common courtesy

EXACTLY!!!

The darkside are pros at tossing out all kinds of bullshit and making issues out of things like bad Pilot crank bearings for example but NEVER are willing to back up their statements with FACTS this is what produces 90% of the problems in this community, they type out bomb throwing statements then go hide when asked for proof, hopefully the general public is smart enough to realize they are throwing bombs and are not backing up anything they say.

Turbotexas and I discussed his video in the chat room before I posted my comment So that's how you bent the ball joints? my comments were intentional and calculated I wanted to see just how far the darkside would run with it, they are a desperate group constantly checking in here on my site MANY times a day scratching and searching for any little tid bit of ammo they can use in their next bomb, many may not realize it but this has been going on for years..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:56 am 

Twilight wrote:

If you'll look real close you will see that is just a shadow as I saw that also, but before jumping to conclusions I rewound and replayed and paused several times...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:02 pm 

hoser wrote:
Twilight wrote:

I have descended hills steeper than that at the bottom hundreds of times in my Pilot, I have also went up hills with a abrupt chage at the bottom like his ramps are set hundreds of times, at the dunes it blast sand in your face, on dirt its a nice thud lol I know its not his 350 with a LT front suspension but I thought you might want to know, this is partly why my Pilot is not a pretty Pilot no use pimping it up to take a thrashing lol

U-tube butchers the clarity of the videos when you upload them Turbo can you send me a copy of that video maybe I can post a clear version? Maybe you can video again closer up also?

Well today I had to move the Ody from the top deck to the rear of the trailer. I did video this but I only pushed the ody off the side. I didn't have time to put the helmet and seatbelt on as I was in Compton, CA. The bumper once again made contact with asphalt. So it is doing it's job!!! (thanks ATVRacing) I had the camera at a different agle today also.I will post up later after I cut it down in size, and download to youtube...
Hoser pimping my ride isn't a bad thing... LOL And I also have been in terrain that spashes sand in my face!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:34 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6GMV8itfQ0

I made this short video right after a little incident I had in the desert today!!! http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation ... l#sandbowl
this is where I was riding at this Thanksgiving Day only because I didn't want to fight the crowds at Glamis... I was riding the trails full of whoops and turns here today and as I came out of a right hand turn/switch back my steering wheel locks up on me in a right hand turn!!! Here I am looking down 30 foot of washed out gully and all I could do was mess my britches and hope my brakes would hold me back!!! I finally got enough nerve to release my front brakes long enough to put my Ody into reverse to back my way back out of this predicament!!! As evident in the video I was madder than three kinds of heck!!! I came straight back t the truck to document!!! I only wish I had had someone behind me to video this... Well maybe not, I would have been hit in the rear and rolled down the gully!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:19 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:

I made this short video right after a little incident I had in the desert today!!! http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation ... l#sandbowl
this is where I was riding at this Thanksgiving Day only because I didn't want to fight the crowds at Glamis... I was riding the trails full of whoops and turns here today and as I came out of a right hand turn/switch back my steering wheel locks up on me in a right hand turn!!! Here I am looking down 30 foot of washed out gully and all I could do was mess my britches and hope my brakes would hold me back!!! I finally got enough nerve to release my front brakes long enough to put my Ody into reverse to back my way back out of this predicament!!! As evident in the video I was madder than three kinds of heck!!! I came straight back t the truck to document!!! I only wish I had had someone behind me to video this... Well maybe not, I would have been hit in the rear and rolled down the gully!!!

I am glad to hear you were not injured and made it back to camp ok.

I hope you cool down you can post a ride review of the new place you went to and post some pics.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:46 am 

hoser wrote:

I am glad to hear you were not injured and made it back to camp ok.

I hope you cool down you can post a ride review of the new place you went to and post some pics.

http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=3728
The ride review... I might get mad at times but I refuse to give up...LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:48 pm 

Yo turbo. or woo turbo.It sounded like a reminder why you don't mess with texas. A big revean might put a hurting on a guy. I hate that helpless feeling when for a moment you might just eat a big one and i'am not talking turkey. speaking of turkey I hope you got to enjoy some.Did you get a chance to look under the PPE to see if something got bent or lodged in up under there. I did watch the video and noticed some major squeek with pushed down on the front. What's that about. Also noticed the stering wheel location when you rotated it. Currious if te steering bound in straight line of when turned to the right. if bound striaght I would look at the sterring shaft and tie rod attachment area. If bound when turning. check to see if the tie rod is being put in a bind or if the steering shaft is going over center causing sterring lock. By chance did you alter the sterring stops. A good way to check stering bind would be to remove shock and check the range of motion up and down while turing the wheel checking for over center bind as well as bad steering component.I had mentioned scub angle in a post. I noticed you had you after market rims on the front. check this a problem by riddinging on flat ground, slow thru a sloman course and see how the sterring reacts the change front back to stock rims then run again to see it makes a diff. if the front offset rims are causesing the front to push and steering wheel to twitch a toe adjustment may be in orderto correct using those rims or a largers front tire in dia. to correct using those rims. example offset + 2 using 21" fronts will change the scrub angle which can be corrected by going to larger frot tire, 22" the closer to zero the better and will take twitch out at high speed and increse handling. Does the front end want to come around or push when turnig tight under speed. I know it's hard to see what you scub angle was stock since you are know running new set up. for what I know of it is that it the # + and - from the center of the tire in relation to the angle of the balljoints. I ran onto this playing with rim offsets. I thought wider was better, wrong. the wider rims with the smaller tire made the handleing worse and offset any gain of the width. In order to measure this you need to make a line where your center of the tire is and run at an angle cenrer of ball joint to center of ball joint this is what I refer to scrub angle. if the ball joint lines past the center of tire measure across to that line this is you crub angle measurment. to say that line is 2" than do the same for the 22' tire sthat # is reduce by the taller tire to 1" then I set my toe to half of that which would be 1/2" out. Turbo rember this is coming from a back yard hacker not a professional front end engineer. I just found this system worked for me. Keep in mind this is done at you sag setting. I call it a netural setting then adjust the shock setting from there to take the push or over steer out of it for ture high speed tracking. I think Lee is the geo. gurur. scince you have a front end that can be caster and cambe adjustable a futher correction most likley can be made to correct this problem. I now playing with this but I'm have a tuff go of it. I wish I would have payed attetion in math class. If you ever attend a dance I hope it a hoe down, Ya a barn dance with a bunch of odyee, pilot and drake guys and there bikes, of course a good supply of cold beer and women ( wifes for those who are married and men for those women that ride). Tried not affend anyone. After reading all that I hope it took yuor mind off the almost accident. Maybe the 30 footer may have be a fun ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:02 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjwxurDWvSQ

Just another view of this going off the trailer...

The adjustments seem to be about the best I have had them so far... 5 months after I first installed!!! This is just plain ridiculious!!! I will have to rebuild my rear end, and then test some more before I am confident in this product... All I asked for was a phone call to get some questions answered by this yahoo, and look what it got me???

Richard I will come to Little Sahara once I am back together and let you look at this and Thanks for the help!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:20 pm 

OK turbo, first some theory, then a quick check and finally my recommendation.

Theory:
If the tie rod and the steering arm on the knuckle ‘over center’ the steering will lock. This sounds easy but there are a number of things that make this hard to see. Take a look at the diagram attached below.

You are looking down at the front steering. The barbell things at the right and left are the wheels/tires. The vehicle is turning to the left.

The angle between the tie rod and the knuckle steering arm is marked on the left side of the image (in blue). If the angle is allowed to exceed 180 degrees the system will lock. In fact there is a magic number around 165 degrees where the system becomes unstable and there is a real chance of the wheel over centering and locking. The 15 degree discrepancy has to do with the suspension flexing and allowing the tie rod to over center.

All this is hard to see on an actual buggy. The virtual knuckle steering arm is difficult to see because it is taken from a line between the ball joint centers and the angle is measured in 3D. Easy to do on a CAD system computer screen but impossible to see on the actual buggy.

If this is the problem you need to modify the tie rod & lawyer links (miss labeled ‘drag links’ in the instruction booklet) to limit the angle.

System test:
Do this to find out if this is the problem. Turn the wheel to full lock. Go to the tire that will be on the inside of the turn. Bump the edge of the tire about half way up from the ground with your knee – trying to make it turn sharper. If the system is in danger of over centering it will and most likely the tire will lock in that position. You will see the tire move a little and stay there. If you try to turn the wheel it may pop out or it may be locked until you bump the tire again in the opposite direction.

You need to test both sides (while the wheel is turned in the direction of the side you are testing) and you need to test at full bump and full rebound and mid stroke. That’s 6 tests in all, you may need to drop the springs off the shocks to get full bump.

The fix:
If this is the problem (identified in the procedure above) then I recommend shortening the lawyer links a little bit, say 1/8 inch each side at a time. This will make the tie rod longer when the toe is adjusted correctly. When the end of the lawyer link hits the stop (the rod end it slides in) the tie rod will be a little longer, the angle with the knuckle steering arm will be a little less.

Reassemble, set the toe and repeat the 6 tests above. If it still over centers repeat. Remember, all this is just my advice. If you are un-sure seek more help, a steering system that locks is unsafe (as you may have noticed) and I do not want you to get hurt over a misunderstanding / poor instructions.

Let us know how it works out.

Attachments:
File comment: mut steering linkage as viewed from the top
tie rod over center.JPG
tie rod over center.JPG [ 27.8 KiB | Viewed 34176 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:48 am 

I think I see what you are saying... I will try this after I get my axle repaired... Tell the friends @ Honda I said thanks for making such a wonderful product 22 years ago!!! Hopefully they will forgive me for messing with the original design!!! Which really wasn't bad/ or broken... I childishly "wanted more"... thus my predicament!!!

I see how I will have to remove the shocks and get the wheel in 3 diferent positions to insure there is no more loco-locking... I will photo and document when I am rolling again!!!
Thank you!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:48 pm 

Any updates, progress?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:10 pm 

hoser wrote:
Any updates, progress?

I left the ody in the shed at the house... I am working all this week, and probly next week too... Christmas and all... I ordered axle and works shocks are on the way... The front is going to have o wait till I get the rear end rebuilt... can't go no where to test it!!! LOL I am looking forward to another trip to the desert!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:31 pm 

Whilst you have the down time you might consider installing some linear bearings in place of the hiem joints on your lawyer links since stupid has no idea what a linear bearing is?

Here are some that look like they can take the dirt?
http://www.igus.com/drylinr.asp?OVRAW=l ... 8243723022

Attachments:
Steve is stupid.jpg
Steve is stupid.jpg [ 59.8 KiB | Viewed 34289 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:34 am 

Well it appears I am not the only one having problems with this kit!!!

See comments on this youtube video...

Thank you...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:53 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
Well it appears I am not the only one having problems with this kit!!!

See comments on this youtube video...

Thank you...

Quote:
my brother had a kit from steve and it locked up in the vorra race ealier this year and put him in a big ditch at high speed, it totally broke both aarms and bent the crap out of the shock. In my opinion his hiem style steering is crap. I made idler arm steering for my lt 350 and it can get all bent up and still functions. And I did the whole set up for about 1000 bucks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:30 pm 

Some new pic's taken today as I was playing in AZ. I noticed something that wasn't matched up and am wondering if this is by design, or might be the cause of my problems???

Attachments:
File comment: I placed a zip tie to compare the gap with
S6300894.JPG
S6300894.JPG [ 36.99 KiB | Viewed 34010 times ]
S6300893.JPG
S6300893.JPG [ 42.05 KiB | Viewed 34010 times ]
S6300895.JPG
S6300895.JPG [ 43.97 KiB | Viewed 34010 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:43 pm 

Some more pic's from a different view...
I didn't have a good blade on my cutoff tool so I will have to attempt Lee's solution later this week...

Attachments:
S6300898.JPG
S6300898.JPG [ 40.7 KiB | Viewed 34008 times ]
S6300899.JPG
S6300899.JPG [ 31.88 KiB | Viewed 34008 times ]
S6300900.JPG
S6300900.JPG [ 27.76 KiB | Viewed 34008 times ]
S6300901.JPG
S6300901.JPG [ 47.89 KiB | Viewed 34008 times ]
S6300902.JPG
S6300902.JPG [ 49.06 KiB | Viewed 34008 times ]
S6300903.JPG
S6300903.JPG [ 34.38 KiB | Viewed 34008 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:48 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
Some new pic's taken today as I was playing in AZ. I noticed something that wasn't matched up and am wondering if this is by design, or might be the cause of my problems???

Merry Christmas you lucky dog getting to ride TODAY!!!

Where exactly where you riding?

I have no idea what your trying to point out here...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:51 pm 

the rest of the pic's

Attachments:
S6300904.JPG
S6300904.JPG [ 34.96 KiB | Viewed 34005 times ]
S6300905.JPG
S6300905.JPG [ 30.83 KiB | Viewed 34005 times ]
S6300906.JPG
S6300906.JPG [ 46.38 KiB | Viewed 34005 times ]
S6300907.JPG
S6300907.JPG [ 40.92 KiB | Viewed 34005 times ]
File comment: This is what got me started on looking at thing over real good... I noticed that the yellow lines were no where near where the actual pieces are laid in place...
S6300908.JPG
S6300908.JPG [ 47.45 KiB | Viewed 34005 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next