Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:05 pm 

I finally felt comfortable with settting and back yard test that I loaded for dunes using High GC front set up using stock works and wide body rear Dune with stock shocks. Mrs. Adnoh was nice enogh to remind me I promissed stixs to test. As usally She was right so I made call. He replied I,am in.

Stage being set The new DCP and OKC#2 and a park full of trx's, yfz,s and razor/rhinos it was time to get-r-done.
We first took it easy feeling out the set up and waiting for air to dry out for hacking project. We did some prelimb adjustments and hit sand. The OKC#2 ran great and stixs can really drive loosing me in a turn. I felt like a lost puppy setting on hill pouting waitnig for his return swolling the lump in my throte when he pulled up with a smile on his face. Stixs is learing way to quick If he gets a pilot or drake we all better step up. and fl670 better start doing weight training strenghting his left arm. The improvment he has made since he purched the machine is a WOW factor. He quite inventive. Oh ya this is about the DCP sorry.

The first run yield ok results getting thumbs down from me. I found myself over steering the DCP and had a high speed twitch. When turning into cornor I found myself setting up to wide and trying to counter steer as it raked thru turn getting it squirly ( felt like low tire pressure). Could have been those margurites wearing off thu. I also foun myself watching the action of the front tires ( setting out future from fender) trying to counter the action by steering the wheel, it was ugly. I stop and compppes myself trying to anlize the data in my head, It hurt bad. MY first thought was what have I done $3.000.00 done the drain oh well. Once again mark smiling at me adding insult to injury.

Ok stop going half empty I told my self and get busy and fill it up. Ya I,am Gemni. Knowing that trying to react to an action in action only causes delys. I put on blinders loosened up grip on wheel and drove with with the feel insteed of my eyes. Now were talking The front ends like a direct approach and goes where it put even thu hard turn off camber. There is zero feed back in wheel and require a very loose grip hold steady with no counter steer to compasate on harsh wheel lock hit. I could find limit itation of front end Rember this is first ride at minimal WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

When I labled my thread got woops I was not fare off. It like woops at any speed now and accalrate thru a nice rate. The only exception is the stock rear the compression and rebound at low speed is really bad at the new lever ratio. They can not be used untill revalved. The rear still kickes untill some speed can be reached. If entry into woops atmid to top speed can be achieved there ok but out of slow tight cornor it will buck untill 15mph can be achieved then it levles out. A spring rate on the triple may help but I feel the valving is a bigger issue. A positive on the wide body is stability. I found it will set outside the quad tracks smooting thing out easier and getting better bite.

Back to pits, Stixs still smiling, I was jelious becaus I wasn't but I believe in staying positive so good thing happen. He was nice enough to help measure things up to dianoce the twitch. Being fully adjustable front and rear I was hopping somthing was just off. We found that the left trailing arm was off by 1mm so we lengthend it 1mm and took 1/2 lb out of right rear pressure change( bent frame). Sitx was like UM. Too hard to explain so rotating mass at given size and relation to fixed axle. Plus did not want to ruin his smile.

We fueled and load up plug for hacking and nowing one adjustment at a time being the rear, We hit it agian well He did any way. Got out the gate and bucked( darn rear shocks) it up to speed and away I went down the straight twitch gone. Oh ya now you cooking on the fornt burner. And it was time to hit a hard cornor under speed. It was time, at first not nowing if it would turn or buckel and send me cartwheeling leaving even a bigger smile on stixs face. I thought to myself man up and do what you do . Holly crap it railed through owering thu mid and out upshifting. No way so I did it agian and same results. Had to stop and do Stixs hacking project so the rest had to wait. While testing stixs project I felt it was time for a second opion,me being bias since I built it. He drove it in and after a couple of hills I found him heading straight for the gate I thoought oh no it bad. He then found some small hills and was testing accel rate up hill and then hill with kicker and then steered away from gate now were talking. He then picked up speed and headed for woops. The Engine sounded timmed and then found the pipe and top end porting clutch upshifted and he was gone. I never had a chance to see and hear it from behind before kinda wierd to hear and feel strapped in theres and then listen to yours. I found myself trying to pedal his to my sound. Told ya kinda wierd. I forgot how much fun it was to drive the 350. Great ride.

Any way, when we did get in he was still smiling and if I rember right he said "Sweet, woops what woops, it likes the woops". He also mentioed the smae about the steering that I felt glad it wasent just me and the twitch to which he had no comment. I will let Stixs post his own opion as not to be bias. I will alos let him post is hacking project as well. It was fun so if he don't post, get on him. I know "H" will be interested. Stixs has skills.

Any way I had a delima on my hands. I broke pre ride rule #1= spare belt. Ready for the excuse, I had platics and mirror off for pre test and did not putback into bike and then add insult to injury new and old belt still setting by spare battery on shelf. DOOP! Revert to rule 16 tow rope, yes was in pack.That meant not hard charging untill go home time to save imbreasment or stupidy how ever you want to look at it.

We hook up will old friend on dune and did some general ridding to wich I got lost agian. this time it was a trial head bottle neck and I went right and they went left. Again stixs had big smile. We fueld for last ride which it was time to opener up and see what happenes. Out of gate I look for the fast ones first two yf450( dirt bikes) which yielded a rear woppen on top end but they could not turn whimpes. I thought to my self if Drakman and Ted pilot were here they take care of them. I got bored and head for faster riders topeneding to the back scoping for the 450s as We reached the north camp I spotted a rzr and two piped 450 running the flates the dunes overs and set cut off angle to intercept. Dove in at top of fourth dune and made hard left hander to which I looked in the mirror and said game on. I pedaled into the mid range and found the razor right there to wich it wa stime to get on the pipe. Went WOT (Wide Open Throttle) tached at 7200 and was having fun. they did rather well only having to slow ever 1/8 mill or so, then back on gas. We ran wide open thru the west section putting the DCP tru wide open turn and burn. I found no turn it could not track at speed and even launched off of 5 and 6 foot droops with no harsh hit when landing at bottoms. I finaly started to smile and the adreline was starting to pump.

While we stoped and they said holy crap that was fun to which I replied 'that's how we role" The 450 guy ask if it was stock and I gave standard ansawer its a stock bore the wich the razor guy replied my you now what, that's not stock and the razor said is that stock suspion to which the 450 guys replies heck no. They ask who made it. I felt proud and said I did. So we raced back to north camp ground giving the razor a head start and the 450s welll no wayon head start it was who had the biggest set for full speed drop offs. One down half way and the other 3/4 the way back. After all I had stixs for back up and toe in the carnage.

Well that's the end of the day to which stix and I agreed it was agood day and ride. No damage,No one hurt and good company. For now the new set up get a thumb side ways. I will need to do post ride inspection and tare down for damage if any and wait for new shock before making any more adjustment to dial in for tiger chasing should be fun thu.

Final note: It jump like S____. thumbs down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:55 pm 

Sounds like it was good all in all, but sorry to hear it is not a jumper, you'll have to work on that.

Wish we could have been there to help you out with the competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:46 pm 

I keept waiting for the up shift of the tiger to come around and spank those bikes but never happened so next time I guess. I will work on the jumps when new shocks get here. It did not want to launch right. Or I was just to scared. Heck Stix tore me up big time. You should see his pretty skid as he flys over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 pm 

First of all let me say that Adnoh is a great dude. I know that most of you here who have ridden with him already know this but after spending a day at the dunes together,he was just as helpful to me and my 350 as he is to everyone on this board, he has a real passion for the sport.
Anyhow I wont rehash what Adnoh has already explained about his new and improved Pilot but I will give my opinion.
I have always like driving anything with four wheels and a steering wheel. Over the years I have owned mini bikes, dirt bikes, street bikes, etc. but what I enjoy most is anything with 4 wheels and a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). I built a "go cart" in the 2nd grade from a dish washer, lol. then my next kart/karts as there were many, was in the 3rd or 4th grade, ya know like the ones Alfalfa, Spanky and Stimey rode in on the Little Rascals "push down the hill type with wagon wheels", then in the 5th grade I built one, it ran on an old Maytag washer motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) which my grandpa help me get running. He only got the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) running but that was it, I did the rest, so you can imagine the go cart didnt stay on the rode very long, after all it was built by an 10 year old. Moved on to lawnmower powered gocarts, played with some McCullough powered shifter carts for a while until I crashed, brakes went out at the end of my residential street at about 50mph. So with that being said Ill give my 2 cents reguarding Adnoh's new and improved Pilot. This Pilot is a great combination of a trail rider and dune runner. I noticed no negative feedback what-so-ever in the steering wheel through the woops or heavy trail riding. If I had to find something to complain about reguarding the bump-steer set up, it was a little hard to turn the steering wheel,maybe use bearings in the steering yoke?? Reguarding the LT set up it was like riding on a waterbed while running through the woops at any speed. While running WOT (Wide Open Throttle) through trails I always seem to come up on a woop or two, no problem, new suspension ate it up. I never felt a "glitch" probably havin too much fun in a Pilot. Sorry I cant critique like a pro but from my POV I can say that if you have the cahones, this new and improved Pilot will take you anywhere and do anything you want it to do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:44 pm 

Thanks Stixs I did have fun and that's what its all about. I will get wheel load data and compare to stock and see if an improvment can be made. I did call shock company and had them make rear change before ship. This may help in the get air dept. I spent to much time trying to keep it on the ground. They did tell me that they will do what ever it takes to dail them in. We had a hour talk the other day about pilot suspion. I will send them data for review when I get back from visiting daughter and vegas ride. Maybe make run in three weeks for test two "air time". Paint something neat on skid for review on fly over maybe an fl350 with flames. I forget to give you set of magic gloves. I'll even bring an extra belt. The shock change will require a little rework in the rear to bring into alignment. Oh well , chop cut rebuild, hey that's a t.v. show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:22 pm 

Im sure you will find a happy medium between jumps and woops. Yup, good times man :-) . I talked to Works today. Ill be sending in my other front shock, the one that didnt break. I will be getting the heims installed in both of them in case of a slight arm bend. All six of my lower J arms are bent whether it be slightly or alot like the one that took out the shock shaft. I don't want to take out another shock :shock: . I will need to gather a little data as to whether I should have the heims installed on top or bottom or both. Works will also be seting them up for my riding style, weight etc. Anything I should include when talking to the Works guys would be helpful...Marc

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:10 pm 

When you going to Vegas??? I am in route to Salt Lake City, and might have to load in Vegas???

adnoh wrote:
Thanks Stixs I did have fun and that's what its all about. I will get wheel load data and compare to stock and see if an improvment can be made. I did call shock company and had them make rear change before ship. This may help in the get air dept. I spent to much time trying to keep it on the ground. They did tell me that they will do what ever it takes to dail them in. We had a hour talk the other day about pilot suspion. I will send them data for review when I get back from visiting daughter and vegas ride. Maybe make run in three weeks for test two "air time". Paint something neat on skid for review on fly over maybe an fl350 with flames. I forget to give you set of magic gloves. I'll even bring an extra belt. The shock change will require a little rework in the rear to bring into alignment. Oh well , chop cut rebuild, hey that's a t.v. show.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:23 am 

Ask them about, hiem usally only on one end and recomend upper. It is the eaisest to clearence if an issue arises. You like to enter cornor under breaking and power thu mid so a low speed spring ( in valving ,works uses a ball and spring to adjust so a high speed event is diff from low speed event and allowes a smooth transition thu spring rate)may be warnented unless you start charging the cornor. How is the turnng since adjustment, This also may account for driving style since it would not hold cornor on entry. If better, a higher slow speed spring will work better allowing for less body role at a higher speed. Discusse conrning style with sandy. It does make a diff. Tell him you like chasing drakes at speed. I know cans are not really favored on board and adding items gets expensive but they are worth the money on long distance runs reducing fade which effect transition rate thu ball and spring the fluid is the common domanator when it come to relief tension on valving in ball and spring method the spring is set and the fluid density changes. Think about it in terms of motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) oil weights and syn to non syn heat breakdown the vecosity and changes flow rate resistance.

Since you have works in rear let him know since you do not have cans in rear not really needed in front. They will fade together and only slow you a little as they will tend to bottom eaiser (effecting the high speed spring in the valving) on long hall. Just set up a little stiffer at first and they will smooth out later. I would say fix what broke and resolve issue and then go from there. I can help you set up transition to your liking once you comfortable with driving style and cornoring adjustments ( toe). Works will ask about you level let them know you are an aggressive ridder, dune valving, weight, and what your issues are and I don't mean I cant catch the drakes save that one for Engine builder. Got scale. get bath scale and put under front and rear tire with you in it and give them the #. You have changed the # from base setting since you have added wieght in diff areas and that changes the cornor weight effecting the unsprung and sprung weight which effect valving and spring rate. TMI ?

Final thought; If you like a smooth ride go softer and if you take chances being aggressive go stiffer. A stiffer set up works better at speed and a softer set up works better at a slowr smooth pace. This is why I charge the woops. This is how the shocks are set up and beat me to death at a slow pace. The shock valving is asking for speed adding pressure to spring in valve thu fliud flow rate. Too stiff slowes you down becaus the wheels are in the air and you will not use as much throttle. The rite set up is equal to increas in HP. IF YOU HAVE ACTION YOU NEED TRACTION.

Turbo, Tobey and I are flying out today and will be there for four days. Daughters car broke and need fixen as well I feel the need for speed. I will also try to visit shock dealer out there got a gripe to resolve and feel better done in person no where to hide.