Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:01 am 

I am bringing my stuff to let you brainstorm on it for awhile... As soon as possible Maybe you can show me how to set up shock adjustments??? And then I can Be the one eating the Sand sandwiches!!!
:-)
Nice job!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:12 am 

I am more of a fan of moving the inboard side where it connects to the frame but only because the arm will hit on the frame if you can extend it out where you are and still clear the frame I say go for it looks much faster and easier.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:53 am 

I follow ya. If you do what you propose the shock spring may hit arm with a longer shock due to lever ratio. If a new arm was built with minor adjusment the stock shock mounts will work with 11" of travle. The problem is the stock ratio will not allow a shock to be built without a very large resavor( beer can size). Works likes to work with a max of 5.5 " stroke and the only varivle ifs the lever ratio. FOr those not nowing what that is it is the amount of stroke movement verses the arm movment.

So 1 to 1 is 1" of wheel travle 1" of shock travle, which is to say the shock is at 90 deg.. So a 2 to 1 would be 12" wheel travle 6" of shock travle. Change anlge in relation to arm mount changes this # . so lower the mount and shorting the shock increasing the angle can achieve this #. The problem with the fl is not much room to work and I calculate a relocate kit to 6.5 " stroke at 20 degrees. this will give it 10" of wheel travle. So a lot more work will be needed.

On the rake issue on new arms I will share some pre limb #s since you brought it up and got otheres wondering. Hub at # 3 deg back a 2" or 8 Deg transition from full droop to full top out. A camber adjustment can effect this an I will as I get shock data intered in to the mix. Transition rate and final spring rate will change this #.

Turbo rembr I,am no pro. I will help if I can rembering just a hacker like your self. I know first thing I would do is rework bump kit and change front #s. You have too much front wheel travle to work well with stock rear. This is why I will measure up sticks to see what can be done. I feel a change in rear will wake the front up and bring it back in line. Just prlimb # but I calculate a decrease of 3" in front and add 4" in rear not knowing your weight bias. and wheel base. Put bath scale under rear tire and set in bike and have son get # then do same for front. measutre distance center line front hub to rear at sag, then get centerline of wheels front and rear. To complacted to infom how to get scrub #s for propers calculation. I do not express proccedures right. My mind say on thing and my fingers say another. sorry. Hope yours is up and running and get to chew some sand with ya soon. An example of weight bias ( balance) is on mine front 210 lb per side rear and 130 lb per side front at sag with seat postion at thrid slot.

Thanks all, for the support on this project Rich.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:11 pm 

The last pic in your post with the extended arm to the ball joint- IMO that is a very weak design. You have lost all the strength of the triangulation of the oem arm. I assume you don't want to cut up your stock arms at this point, to early in the R&D process. That arm is pretty simple, maybe build a new one with heims to give you camber and toe adj. and the strength that you will need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:52 pm 

Random question, but what is the make and model of your rear tires?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:36 pm 

good points on new arm I feel a new arm would also be better. one thing to consider is the way the shock clearences the arm using stock arm. the support arm in the rear of new arm can be moved out and the front can be move an inch before it rumbs spring. I though about using heims but this may be to hard to line up due to to many adjustments. Ill post a diff pic showing clearences.

The rear tire are a prowedge pw 501, 22/11/9. They work pretty well for low powered machines and ride on top very smooth. I like to do fast trail ridding so there my tire of choice.

Attachments:
clearence of arm bolt to stock mount.jpg
clearence of arm bolt to stock mount.jpg [ 70.62 KiB | Viewed 2760 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:26 pm 

axle clearences.

Attachments:
axle at full droop.jpg
axle at full droop.jpg [ 60.37 KiB | Viewed 2722 times ]
axle at ride height.jpg
axle at ride height.jpg [ 55.83 KiB | Viewed 2722 times ]
axle at full top out.jpg
axle at full top out.jpg [ 60.08 KiB | Viewed 2722 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:31 pm 

cv #'s

Attachments:
inboard clearence at full droop.jpg
inboard clearence at full droop.jpg [ 56.44 KiB | Viewed 2720 times ]
inboard clearence at full top out.jpg
inboard clearence at full top out.jpg [ 42.49 KiB | Viewed 2720 times ]
outboard clearence at full droop.jpg
outboard clearence at full droop.jpg [ 71.01 KiB | Viewed 2720 times ]
outboard clearence at full top out.jpg
outboard clearence at full top out.jpg [ 69.55 KiB | Viewed 2720 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:34 pm 

Went ot bolt up newrear shocks and what the heck. Told ya I was not very good at math. Dooop!

Attachments:
File comment: This is what happens when you make a last minute change and do not run all the numbers.
OOPS.jpg
OOPS.jpg [ 97.52 KiB | Viewed 2432 times ]
File comment: Even the kat was mad
ERRRRR.jpg
ERRRRR.jpg [ 105.99 KiB | Viewed 2691 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:40 pm 

Ok ran off kat and scrathed my head and went to work.

Attachments:
MAking templete.jpg
MAking templete.jpg [ 62.25 KiB | Viewed 2688 times ]
Other side.jpg
Other side.jpg [ 74.18 KiB | Viewed 2688 times ]
I think it will hold.jpg
I think it will hold.jpg [ 83.32 KiB | Viewed 2688 times ]
FIrst mock up.jpg
FIrst mock up.jpg [ 119.43 KiB | Viewed 2659 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:52 pm 

Any thought on Quick fix. Have another Idea that will allow the stock mount to be used and change the lower rear moving it out

Attachments:
New mount.jpg
New mount.jpg [ 88.03 KiB | Viewed 2684 times ]
Bottom measurment.jpg
Bottom measurment.jpg [ 78.5 KiB | Viewed 2684 times ]
Full extend measurment.jpg
Full extend measurment.jpg [ 82.42 KiB | Viewed 2684 times ]
GC.jpg
GC.jpg [ 74.28 KiB | Viewed 2684 times ]
GC extended.jpg
GC extended.jpg [ 97.55 KiB | Viewed 2684 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:57 pm 

OH SHIZZLE! Hey look on the bright side, as a result do you get any more travel?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:58 pm 

Some fun pics. I know "H" and BAZ and others like pics.

Attachments:
Full bottomed.jpg
Full bottomed.jpg [ 83.51 KiB | Viewed 2739 times ]
Full extended.jpg
Full extended.jpg [ 95.38 KiB | Viewed 2739 times ]
Side view full bottomed.jpg
Side view full bottomed.jpg [ 74.57 KiB | Viewed 2739 times ]
Side view full extended.jpg
Side view full extended.jpg [ 72.78 KiB | Viewed 2739 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:07 pm 

I have more fun pics.. I failed to mention there is no bindiing on any parts,Thank goodness. Full bottom and top there free movment on axles ,shocks, trailing arms and steering. I will now disassemble and install springs and set ride height.

Attachments:
A limbo contender.jpg
A limbo contender.jpg [ 61.65 KiB | Viewed 2736 times ]
Getting low.jpg
Getting low.jpg [ 70.07 KiB | Viewed 2736 times ]
Beep Beep.jpg
Beep Beep.jpg [ 66.94 KiB | Viewed 2736 times ]
Pilot on steroids.jpg
Pilot on steroids.jpg [ 85.54 KiB | Viewed 2736 times ]
steriods 2.jpg
steriods 2.jpg [ 93.82 KiB | Viewed 2736 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:11 pm 

Yea I do woo hoo. When I rebuild upper arm moving lower unit out and relocate lower shock mount it will gain 1-1/4" more. This will allow the upper to bolt onto stock mount and get ride of the quick fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:25 pm 

Like Tony Tiger says that's grrrrreat! Plus its just looks swell!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:38 pm 

Thanks, want drive it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:45 pm 

Looking sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Cant wait to here how it runs with the new shocks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:25 pm 

Yea....Looks like lots of blood sweat and tears(of joy of course) invested so I really hope it helps with the rear trying to hop back and forth, cant wait to drive he he, when you goin to LS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:20 am 

Thanks for the pics Richie Rich! :-)
Yes me and H love pics....But why do you tease us with your let down photo's?
This is my only complaint,as your pics don't do your work JUSTICE!
For example,when it's sunny out,you take the pics in the tree shade,and now in the dark!
You are a BuggyTease! :-)
Love your work,but it's the "where's Wally" detail that we spy for! Image
When are you coming to the Land Downunder to Pit Crew for me at the Northam Races which start in a couple of weeks? Stay at the house of Baz.We will Barbie and drink straight from my Keganator every night,and every arvo you will have the choice of 1xStd and 1x Neil's ex ATV Racing LT500 Pilots ,plus the DrakULite to hack on the track.
On ya Mate!Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:41 pm 

Thanks to all for the support and feed back. The feed back really help with any project, an extra set of eyes tend to shead lite on where and what to do. Thanks. I have some final photos to share and also an update on upper relocate bracket. I will post in new thred Titled: Almost done.

Baz,as far as down under goes, Tobey and I have talked about it. I watched a show the other day on you fine country. It was based on the wild life and I for one would like to see the tasmanian devil in person. That marsupal interests me. As far as pit crrew I would like nothing more I love the sound and smell it get my blood pumping. I will keep playing the lottery just incase. I have not forgoten about your nerf mock ups I will do this winter and form out of molded pvc in case they need to be shiped or dropped off. I will make two set, one for stock and one for long travle width. Do they have the red lable( budweiser) there for us american lightweights. Good luck on your up coming season I will be watching for your post.

Stixs, I was going this weekend but its going to be cold and I have conserns on my spring rates The calc and my head are having conflicts. That's to say I do not believe there right. I will need to run on track first to see which is right and I hope I'am wrong. Do not want a lumber truck on my hands. I think they sent me razor springs not DCP pilot springs and the razor springs are all wrong( handles like a wet terd). I Think they based them on a progressive instead of linaer rates UHHHHH. Wrong key on calculater. I will need to trust the guys with the education and sometimes that's hard for me to do.