Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dialing in new shocks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:03 pm 

Well after having fun tryig to blow up wifes ride I fueled mine for some fun in the sun. I have video but no way to share. The flip used is mp4 and non of my video software will work tried all to get pics and change to j-peg with no luck. Sorry. My dial up is to slow to upload. booo ho. I wanted Bazz to see that I do ride them not just take pics.
Any way short story for now 23 pre load, low and high speed adjustments and ready for rebould settings then trim in on compression.

I do have a problem still in rear at slow speed and do not feel it can be resolved untill I rework upper arms changing the rear moving it back and out. Every where else is fun fun fun. Tore the back yard to pieces. and replanted half the yard.I will see if mom can upload. Any suggestion on how and where to upload. Next time the digital camcorder comes out no matter what She says. I will do it when see gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:07 pm 

I did get just a couple of teaser shoots. #1 is power thu mid and #2 is next frame. The best ones is 3 thu 8 which this is where the computor said oh no you don't.

Attachments:
power thu #1.jpg
power thu #1.jpg [ 64.81 KiB | Viewed 2896 times ]
power thu #2.jpg
power thu #2.jpg [ 59.27 KiB | Viewed 2896 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:42 pm 

couple more

Attachments:
coming out of cornor #1.jpg
coming out of cornor #1.jpg [ 27 KiB | Viewed 2890 times ]
Comeing hard out of cornor #2.jpg
Comeing hard out of cornor #2.jpg [ 26.93 KiB | Viewed 2890 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:14 pm 

adnoh wrote:
Well after having fun tryig to blow up wifes ride I fueled mine for some fun in the sun. I have video but no way to share. The flip used is mp4 and non of my video software will work tried all to get pics and change to j-peg with no luck. Sorry. My dial up is to slow to upload. booo ho. I wanted Bazz to see that I do ride them not just take pics.
Any way short story for now 23 pre load, low and high speed adjustments and ready for rebould settings then trim in on compression.

I do have a problem still in rear at slow speed and do not feel it can be resolved untill I rework upper arms changing the rear moving it back and out. Every where else is fun fun fun. Tore the back yard to pieces. and replanted half the yard.I will see if mom can upload. Any suggestion on how and where to upload. Next time the digital camcorder comes out no matter what She says. I will do it when see gone.

What good is a yard if you cant use it?

What exactly are you trying to upload?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 am 

Ill bet Tobey cant wait to drive, you sure that's not her driving??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:09 pm 

True story on yard. No, Mrs. A was shoot video with her fip viedo camera. Just video but can only watch on lap top. providing me with feed back on final adjustments. Setting up low and high speed and pre load than I will hit the rebound and fine tune compression. Just about put it oven when I got the friont and rea to soft on lowspeed it bycicled around cornor. Looked like a stunt vehicle. I even had it on one rear roosting then setting the second rear down than drove out in a wheel stand. I thought for sure it was going over that time but no it pulled itself out as it rebounded. Boy I did have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:58 pm 

Hmm, I feel a new nickname is in order... The Red Rooster

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:05 pm 

I tried to get Drakman to call his the Rooster booster but it did not stick I forgot to tell him that Q-Trip here has a rooster booster drink. R-2 ( r-squared)for short. What untill you see video you probley will have few to choose from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:47 pm 

fooled the program into doing a few more pics

Attachments:
small Jump #1.jpg
small Jump #1.jpg [ 48.44 KiB | Viewed 2837 times ]
Small Jump #2.jpg
Small Jump #2.jpg [ 45.41 KiB | Viewed 2837 times ]
small jump #3.jpg
small jump #3.jpg [ 43.46 KiB | Viewed 2837 times ]
hitting a kicker.jpg
hitting a kicker.jpg [ 59.67 KiB | Viewed 2837 times ]
heading for second kicker out of berm.jpg
heading for second kicker out of berm.jpg [ 66.74 KiB | Viewed 2837 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:51 pm 

I think it has a few more in it I just keep hitting enore on critical eror and must shut down.

Attachments:
30 footer #1.jpg
30 footer #1.jpg [ 67.26 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]
30 footer #2.jpg
30 footer #2.jpg [ 70.24 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]
30 footer #3.jpg
30 footer #3.jpg [ 68.68 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 am 

That looks like the revolts wide eyed little brother! :-)

Good job man, you did good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:02 am 

Twilight wrote:
That looks like the revolts wide eyed little brother! :-)

Good job man, you did good.

Yeah I always thought your suppose to setup the suspension with sag.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:44 pm 

Thanks. I didset up with sag the front is set up with 40 % and the rear at 20%. I have st up the rear at 20 with a soft low speed compression to squate under accerlation and roll into cornor hot. this will take some of the tip and wheel standing out. If it wheel stands I just go + with the low speed clicker alowing the rear to break loose keeping front on ground. If it need more brake slide + on low speed also help it not get to much side bite reducing body role. So I set high speed to bottom out on g-outs and jumps then start adding + on high speed clickers until it firms up and my back quiets hurting. If low speed is to stiff on rear and to soft on front it effects breaking bump alowing wheel hop in rear as the rear unloads transfer weight to front. A front spring preload reducing sag fixed this with a + on low speed in front keeping some weight in the rear and wheels on ground. After all if the tires are in the air it can not stop. So

Today the track dried out a littel and the set up was off. More traction. time to test set up theroy. Rolled in hot and yep it wanted to go over on side and wheel standed out ( too soft)+ 2 in front on low and + 1 on low in rear. Bycicle gone and wheel stand gone this allowed the rear to break loose and and not squat as far. In the front this took some of the weight transfer to front out creating lees body role. I'am finally getting a handle on these shocks. I also increased high speed a little since I was hitting jumps and kicker and woops harder and faster. I found set up carrried more speed out of the cornor and beeter control on exit. The front breaks being Disc now are really comming into play now. If I come in to hot I just tap the fronts holding down the throttle and the front sqats a little and get a good bit while clutch is still in higher gear and sling shots you around a tight cornor. It's almost scarry to do since with the old front end it would wash out pushing you out the cornor. If I role into cornor wide it does track funny. I aint got that one fiquired out yet. It likes a tighter appoarch angle and under power. Wonder if the width has something to do with it. The front can be preloaded for kicker and jump which I find cool. It's like kicking the pegs to preload the quads. I quick hit the front lever and it squats front and then unloads to rear and rear squats on approach and lift off of top. Timing this is tuff and will take time to prefect and I feel a rebound adjustment will help and also reduce effect f needed. Speed up the front rebound and reduce the rear. This may also help on the slow speed apoach on woops. The rears are too slow here and kicks the rear.

Tomorrow I will work on rebound and transition spacer for big hits. I found myself being timmed on high speed kickers and hitting double. It jumps funny.I will trade shock on rear side to side to see if it's valving ,tender spring or me being chicken. I may need to remove plastic for this it could get harry. Rember these are prototype shocks so there new to them as well. I'll try some pics to show you what I talked about. That is if the laptop don't crash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:28 pm 

Ok squeeszed some more out of it. I sure did not like the noise my lap top was making. Thes are pics of low speed compression settings to soft. I was on the power at entry and all the way in and thu. I tought for sure this was rinkel the palstic. As soon as I felt it role and the seen the dirt fly I new it would be fun.

Attachments:
hot cornor#1.jpg
hot cornor#1.jpg [ 55.88 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]
hot cornor #2.jpg
hot cornor #2.jpg [ 58.86 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]
hot cornor #3.jpg
hot cornor #3.jpg [ 59.2 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]
hot cornor #4.jpg
hot cornor #4.jpg [ 59.82 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]
hot cornor #5.jpg
hot cornor #5.jpg [ 61.03 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]
hot cornor #6.jpg
hot cornor #6.jpg [ 60.23 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:33 pm 

Heres #7 . If it wasn't for the rebound setting on rear the rear would not have settled alowing it to tip right over instead it rebounded and push it back on two wheels with front staying in the air on the power. Gotta like these shocks the old works would have just rolled over. I was kinda surprised to see this out of a linier spring.

Attachments:
hot cornor #7.jpg
hot cornor #7.jpg [ 59.79 KiB | Viewed 2858 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:03 pm 

Ok went to garage to look over rear shocks. Issue being low speed entrance kick and launches funny. When entrering rollors or woops if it kicks after compression adjustments there is two thing s to look at first. #1 transition spacer and #2 rebound adjustment. If rebound is to fast it will kick the rear on entry and will effect take off. If the transition to tender spring is to quick this will also effect this or a combo of both. So I removed the left rear and disaembled and took measurments. First counting rebound clicks from base line each way. and then measure the distance from preload spaner to crossover spanner. Thes are base line for adjustments in case I really screw up setting to start back at zero. The rebound clicker was 36 clicks out from full slow and 20 clicks from full fast. I will set and mid point to start with 28 clicks. the transition spacer was set at 3.205 inches from preload spanner and pre load after check was at 24% with 180LB in seat I used two 80 Lb cement bags and two 10 lb weights lbs and got measurement I weight 170 so its close for this base line. One thing to mention about rebound is If rear kickes on entry slow down the rebound and if it kicks after a few hits ( this called packing) you quicken rebound. The rear is staying compressed causing the rear to swap side to side until you slow down and the shock catches up. I enjoy watching this at the entrances at LS to see who has it right. Now that's fun while you enjoy a cold one. All the power in the world what help ya there.

Now that the left is measured up I went to the right side and strated counting cliks and MY phone rang. Yes the wife calling me for dinner and as I leaned my head over to hold phone My eyes caught this. See pic. Can we say what an idiot and I'm the idot so plese feel free to smack me around. A big shout out to the Wife. Thanks Dear. I will correct before testing and will still change transition spacer allowing to stay on main longer and slow the rebound a little until kick on entry in gone or new springs are in order.

Told ya I thought there was diff in the way the shocks loaded and unloaded side to side. I 'am glad common sence took over before the double. Guess I'm not chicken but did not want to buy new plastic. This is a prime example of why you adjust one thing at a time and make the same adjustment side to side. Other wise I would have chased this and never got it right and wondered why.

Attachments:
File comment: Guess whats wrong here.
OOPS!.jpg
OOPS!.jpg [ 134.82 KiB | Viewed 2719 times ]
File comment: If no luck on guess look at this for comparison. I know what an Idiot.
OOPS comparison.jpg
OOPS comparison.jpg [ 144.58 KiB | Viewed 2719 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:32 pm 

I don't see it???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:58 pm 

Up or Down - Heck ya had a 50/50 chance of getting it right :-)

BTW - Nice catch...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:34 pm 

NOw that's the kinda fixes I like to repair

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:59 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
I don't see it???

Still don't see what was wrong???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:45 pm 

Only thing I see is the upper shock is compressed more than the one that's not on the machine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:07 pm 

The spring from what I can see in the second pic, was installed upside down. Am I right? Did I win anything?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:43 pm 

I'm a little lost with what is wrong as well. The two side by side springs look the same to me. The orientation of the spring wouldn't mean anything would it? The spring rate is the same no matter what direction its being compressed from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:47 pm 

Wait now I see the black plastic thing is upside down, but I'm not exactly sure what that is for so I don't know why it would be a big deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:53 pm 

The two adjuster nuts in the middle of the spring look cute

Profile E-mail