Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:40 pm 

moregood's Pilot cases

The arrows point to where the metal is raised guess but it is only raised .0003 just
enough where you install the new bearing and it deforms the outer race and makes
the new bearing roll hard.

Attachments:
Mvc-609f.jpg
Mvc-609f.jpg [ 44.21 KiB | Viewed 3343 times ]
Mvc-610f.jpg
Mvc-610f.jpg [ 44 KiB | Viewed 3342 times ]
Mvc-611f.jpg
Mvc-611f.jpg [ 39.93 KiB | Viewed 3343 times ]
Mvc-612f.jpg
Mvc-612f.jpg [ 46.67 KiB | Viewed 3343 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Interesting reults
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:28 pm 

I bought these cases brand new about 8 months ago. At the same time I bought all brand new stuff to build a complete motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). I assembled the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) using alot of care and attention to detail. The clutch side bearing seized about 20 minutes into my first ride with a few break in hours on the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) already.

After getting the cases back from Hoser I decided to give them to a friend of mine that works in engineering at NewVenture Gear. They make transmissions and transaxles primarily for Chrysler. He took them and had them measured on a CMM. CMM or coordinate measuring machines use a probe to measure objects in 3 dimensions. The are very accurate and can measure very complex parts. He found the following:

Bearing pocket diameter: 2.8311
Bearing outer race diameter: 2.8346

According to my math that's a .0035 press fit. He says they use a .0008 press fit in most of there transmission stuff and that mine was way too much. I have dealt with alot of bearings and I don't think I have ever seen a bearing with and interference of .0035. Any help on this would be great.

Lee...if you're out there, maybe you could get me a pocket dimension and a clearance on this. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Any of you looking to buy cases and build a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) make sure you mic. those pockets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:31 pm 

First my disclaimer, I’m not an Engine guy and don’t know much about them, also I am not giving out proprietary information from my employer. That having been said I will see what I can find for press fit information. I learned today that I will be leaving for California to ride ATV’s on Wednesday (this is the part of my job that I love) then I will leave LA to go to Japan for an evaluation of my project (this is the part of my job I don’t love). So it is not likely that I will be able to reply for 2 weeks. However the up side is that I have a better chance to learn something about bearing press fits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:31 am 

hmm some guys have all the luck, need help riding them ATV's?

I will ask about the bearing fit on other tech boards I frequent.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:30 pm 

If the fit is a little off. could you use some loctite sleeve retainer goop? The fit only my forst pilot seemed a little loose so on the advice of someone on the boards I installed the bearings with the sleever retainer goop and a few light domples punched into the sleeve cups. Seems to have done its job.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: mooregoodcsi
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:03 pm 

From the pictures it sure looks like at one time someone started them in crooked, also they look like they have spun in the case. how did they come out? when split where they still one the crank. Is this a bearing failure case. If so look at you rod bearing for signs of flash over. If one side failed and came apart most likley you have damaged your rod bearing also. or even bent the rod. If went a way on top end that not good the stress on the rod would be the same as twisted crank and damage the rod and bearing. One thing to ask your self does the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) idle right does it come up to speed like it did before or even run same rpm, if not that a sure sign of damage to rod/rod bearing/twisted crank. If the bearing did fail check crank for propper seal setting. the seal got took out when the bearing failed and could have damaged the crank where the seal rides and damage new seal after a while leading to an air leak, the area where the seal ride should look polished, this accures from the crank turning in the seal and seal material polishing the crank. if not the new seal will wear quicker and life of the seal be shortened. Be sure to check the piston pin in the piston you took out to see if it tight or loose and install a new bearing and pin. the same rule applies to the piston pin and beaning as the rod bearing when the main bearing failes and comes apart. If you damaged the rod and or bearing new crank bearing will only lead to a failure else where or even more main bearings. This will cause the crank trian not run true.