Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: PROJECT TECATE T-3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 am 

does air filter have a cage inside to keep it from collapsing??? too much oil imo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:01 am 

go oddy wrote:
I have had problems with filters in the past... the filter might not be breathing right and could cause massive bog...
what did you wrap the filter in?
What oil did you use of filter?
some of those filter oils are so tacky and added to the awesome filtering ability of the UNI
I bet you are air starved...
Regards

thanks for the help-I used K&N filter oil on the UNI-and an old panty hose over it, i did double it on the filter as well.I have never had a filtering issue, but will check it with the filter off first, then on dry, without wrap, etc etc and figure it out for sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:27 am 

Well the saga continues.I tryed to get the Tecate to run yesterday-I took the filter off, ran it with a dry filter, oiled filter, dry but with a stocking over it, it will not run past 1/4 throttle.It just bogs down when it hits the power band-if I can get it to hit the power ban, when I give it throttle even feathering it, it bogs and dies.The internals are all stock, 230 main,45 slow jet,needle on the 4th setting,I tryed for 4 hrs to get it to work, to no avail.The plug comes out flaky black, not wet at all, which was to be honest a blessing as I have had issues with the old carb getting any color on the plug at all-so to see the black was a welcome sight!
Now the needle controls the throttle from 1/4 to 3/4 correct, mabye I am starving it for fuel during that section of throttle perhaps? I was thinking of going up on the needle to the 2nd clip from the top and trying some settings off the needle end of the throttle-any ideas?Now remember when it was 60+ degrees the last time I ran it it ran like a raped ape, no adjustments needed other then air screw-all I did was put the filter on it and parked it.It was 48 yesterday and I did nothing to change it.I also tryed numerous air screw setting-2 turns out it had such A HIGH IDLE it would not even get 1/4 throttle, 1 turn out it idled perfect but no throttle repsonse after 1/4 throttle, just bogging.
I have 20 minutes on the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) currently, I leak down tested it prior to the carb changes and it passed with flying color, so crank seal leaking I do not think is the culprit-should I go up on the main?I thought the main is for top end-if it runs lean on the top end I'll change that, but the main does not control the 1/4 -3/4 which seems to be the issue so far.Any ideas?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:46 am 

Hello Gregg, does it cough or backfire at all or just bogg out.
I had the same bogging problem with my pilot but it was for sure flooding out, one of my reed pedal ends was torn off.

Try pulling the choke and see if it will rev. up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:52 pm 

what is the heat range of the plug??? Maybe go one hotter???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:25 am 

You may be looking in the wrong area, I would be checking the ignition coil an CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) unit.
There is a device on the market that will go in series with the plug cap and you can set and check that you have good spark over the whole rpm range. Check out ebay they are usually only about $10.00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:16 pm 

lc4 wrote:
You may be looking in the wrong area, I would be checking the ignition coil an CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) unit.
There is a device on the market that will go in series with the plug cap and you can set and check that you have good spark over the whole rpm range. Check out ebay they are usually only about $10.00

This has been mentioned to me over on the 3 wheeler board as well, the coil or CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) might be the cause as well.I tryed swithcing plugs, it did not help, good thought Turbo!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:22 pm 

scpilot66 wrote:
Hello Gregg, does it cough or backfire at all or just bogg out.
I had the same bogging problem with my pilot but it was for sure flooding out, one of my reed pedal ends was torn off.

Try pulling the choke and see if it will rev. up.

Hello! It does not cough, backfire at all, just bogs out, like it is running out of fuel.I checked the petcock, flow is great on both positions.It did run better with the choke on yes-then it boggged out after a spell as well.
Ok, here some more information on this.Stopped by the garage YESTERDAY NIGHT, found a small puddle of fuel under the carb.Now the carb is new,throttle cable is not- and the overflow was leaking the fuel out.I am thinking that the throttle cable may too short causing the slide to not be down all the way, this fuel leaking from the overflow seems to go along with that thought, try or untrue?I did not have any time to check the carb from the filter side to see if it indeed is not closing, but by having the cable to short to prevent the slide from completely seating would cause the overflow in the bowl as the needle is not allowing it-sound like I am getting to the culprit? I will go into the needle settings next time I work on it see if they help, but it is a bitch to get the top off and perform them time and time again with this carb!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:54 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
[.Hello! It does not cough, backfire at all, just bogs out, like it is running out of fuel.I checked the petcock, flow is great on both positions.It did run better with the choke on yes-then it boggged out after a spell as well.
Ok, here some more information on this.Stopped by the garage YESTERDAY NIGHT, found a small puddle of fuel under the carb.Now the carb is new,throttle cable is not- and the overflow was leaking the fuel out.I am thinking that the throttle cable may too short causing the slide to not be down all the way, this fuel leaking from the overflow seems to go along with that thought, try or untrue?I did not have any time to check the carb from the filter side to see if it indeed is not closing, but by having the cable to short to prevent the slide from completely seating would cause the overflow in the bowl as the needle is not allowing it-sound like I am getting to the culprit? !

Hello Gregg, I do not think the throttle slide will affect the fuel leak with the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) off. I am not positive though, it sounds like you need to check your float level adjustment and needle + seat.
A few weeks back I took my pilot out to ride with Nick and it would not run with the choke off, a month earlier it ran fine. The carb. was also brand new, I took apart my entire fuel system going crazy trying to find the lean problem, in the end I did not find anything obvious I took the entire carb. apart and cleaned every port with carb. cleaner and blasted it with air I put everything back together and it ran OK. One thing I did do and I think it played a roll is I richened up the whole carb. slow jet, main and needle. I do think the main problem was something stuck in the carb. somewhere but I also think that the colder weather here played a small roll.

I think you need to take your carb. apart and check the float adjustment and clean the heck out of it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:57 pm 

One other thing, when it does run does the exhaust seem to have good flow?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:13 pm 

scpilot66 wrote:
One other thing, when it does run does the exhaust seem to have good flow?

yes it does Steve,no problems there for sure!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:16 pm 

I think a needle adjustment is the main course of action I'll take here-then increse the main to a 260-270 as the 230 from what I am reading is way small for the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and carb-all to be CSI'D in the coming weeks for sure.I have a spare coil,and CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) unit too, try them first before I go into the carb.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:54 pm 

Worked on it again today, changed out the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), did not help at all.I tryed setting the needle higher, lower, did not do anything.I am at a loss.I did notice the idle screw is basicly all the way in on the carb, which tlls me the idle circuit may be too rich-looks like I am going to have to take the carb off and get inside it for sure.There might be a bent needle,etc on the carb.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:35 pm 

Well, finally got into the Mikuni 38mm carb yesterday.Took the carb off and into the clean garage.Checked the main jet-it is a 230.A little low for what I need from reading online from others with the same mods.Cleaned the outside of the carb and took the bowl off.There was some residue of fuel in it, so I went to soak it up with a rag and lord and behold what do I see----------the float spring which holds the brass float onto the throttle valve in it-LOL. Guess I solved my problem huh? floats were all over the place, no wonder it did not run.

Attachments:
File comment: Hello there little fella!
029.jpg
029.jpg [ 578.85 KiB | Viewed 7483 times ]
File comment: Slide look used for a as advertised 'new" carb huh?
032.jpg
032.jpg [ 531.15 KiB | Viewed 7483 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:38 pm 

More pictures of the slide in this "new" carb.This is a great example of Ebay at it's finest. Purchased as new boxed as new, but is it new?The carb has 22 minutes on it on my end.Any opinions please?

Attachments:
030.jpg
030.jpg [ 454.58 KiB | Viewed 7483 times ]
031.jpg
031.jpg [ 533.22 KiB | Viewed 7483 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:25 am 

UPDATE:
After some research on the 3 wheeler boards I got a baseline setting on a 38mm TM carb from the Jimmy White Manual.Jimmy White was a racer in the 80's for KAWASAKI and he produced what is called by some a manual or "bible" for TECATE modifications in the mid 80's for Kawasaki. As per my discussion with HOSER in the chat I am 180 degrees off from what Jimmy White's manual states for baseline settings for a 38mm TM.LOL-go figure Hoser was right AGAIN! TECH GURU!
I ordered all new internals for the carb FROM jets-r-us.com great prices over there, check them out!Ordered was the following for a total of 38 bucks shipped:

389-q6 needle seat
6fj40 needle
35 slow jet
360,370,380 mains

I had stock OEM internals:
389-q2 needle seat
6fj41 needle
22.5 slow jet
230 main

The internals are here, I installed them into the carb and hopefully today the carb will be in the Tecate.Oh, I forgot1 thing.I also ordered as per Jimmy White a new throttle cable for a 84 kx 500/250 to match the carb.The stock OEM is just alittle short for the slide and the 2 more inches the new cable gives you is needed badly.Plug chops to come tonight hopefully.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:04 pm 

UPDATE:
Carb installed today with new 84 KX 250/500 THROTTLE CABLE and it frigin runs great!!!! The baseline settings from the manual were spot on,
I ended up running a 370 main on my ride and the plug chops came back with a smoke ring 3/4 of the way up the porcelain,and a slight slight touch of tan on the tip.A far cry from the white lean I was getting with the other carbs!!! I ran the same internals as posted. FINALLY I got it done!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:12 am 

SOLD

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7