Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:17 am 

Bought this ride in upstate NY some time ago. I had a thread on the old board but decided to start it again here. Pilot came with some nice add ons and performance upgrades which included 102C CLUTCH,Paul Turner full exhaust, WORKS shocks all the way around,relocated radiator, no rev CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition),upgraded 190 rims and tires. When purchased it was noticed the fan is wired on all the time off the key,the spark plug was loose and leaking goo all over the place, wire harness has a section of burnt wires,fan has been relocated with improper wires,carb is not level and need cleaning,cv need to be replaced and axles pulled,front steering has bent rods and loose tie rod ends,and much more.Here is a few quickly snapped photos.

Attachments:
NY Pilot project 006.jpg
NY Pilot project 006.jpg [ 63.25 KiB | Viewed 6591 times ]
NY Pilot project 008.jpg
NY Pilot project 008.jpg [ 41.98 KiB | Viewed 6591 times ]
NY Pilot project 009.jpg
NY Pilot project 009.jpg [ 54.82 KiB | Viewed 6591 times ]
NY Pilot project 017.jpg
NY Pilot project 017.jpg [ 42.53 KiB | Viewed 6576 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:02 am 

Some items noticed as well. Head nuts wrong,ground wire is a joke. Missing many nuts and bolts.Air box is gone replaced with a stupid K@N filter kit set-up which I am sure sucked dirt into the carb min. Notice the jug studs on the rear? seem long do they not? Missing/wrong reed cage bolts as well. Wrong hose clamps,carb is off level-many little things on this ride.CV'S ARE TOASTED both sides and the axles need to be pulled and CLEANED/LUBED.Engine has compression cold of 152 psi. See the wire cut off the key so the fan is hot?

Attachments:
NY Pilot project 007.jpg
NY Pilot project 007.jpg [ 60.79 KiB | Viewed 6587 times ]
NY Pilot project 010 (Medium).jpg
NY Pilot project 010 (Medium).jpg [ 53.83 KiB | Viewed 6587 times ]
NY Pilot project 011.jpg
NY Pilot project 011.jpg [ 45.09 KiB | Viewed 6587 times ]
NY Pilot project 014.jpg
NY Pilot project 014.jpg [ 60.75 KiB | Viewed 6587 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NY Pilot project
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:06 am 

More items. Wire harness is cut in many places, wires badly burnt near the seat, wonder why the fan was not working??????? LMAO!! i FOUND THAT NIGHTMARE in 10 minutes. I hate over spray on the frame and for some reason somebody did it all over this ride.
A little history on the ride. Old owner bought it with the mods to the rad(relocated homemade),clutch(104c),Pipe(Paul Turner),carb(39mm Keihin),reeds and such from dealership in AZ where he used to live. He claims he is original owner but I am doubtful of this. Probably was a rental machine somewhere out there in the desert IMHO. I purchased off Ebay for 4 grand.

Attachments:
File comment: As purchased
NY Pilot project 029.jpg
NY Pilot project 029.jpg [ 64.37 KiB | Viewed 6587 times ]
File comment: Look what was under that tape
NY Pilot project 031.jpg
NY Pilot project 031.jpg [ 62.16 KiB | Viewed 6587 times ]
File comment: Main power wire to ignition, no wonder they spliced in at the key!!
NY Pilot project 030.jpg
NY Pilot project 030.jpg [ 49.71 KiB | Viewed 6587 times ]
File comment: WHY???
NY Pilot project 012.jpg
NY Pilot project 012.jpg [ 60.48 KiB | Viewed 6587 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:09 am 

More pictures!
These pictures show you just how much goo was on the jug when purchased. It was running so rich and to top it off the plug was loose in the head. Also notice the wrong bolt on the exhaust flange? As pictured the wires going to the fan stock OEM are all cut, re-routed and have to be totally replaced as per the manual. I have already fixed this to date.But I am a little uneasy on this harness.

Attachments:
File comment: see the goo leaking from top of head?
NY Pilot project 016.jpg
NY Pilot project 016.jpg [ 52.1 KiB | Viewed 6586 times ]
File comment: side view of goo
NY Pilot project 023.jpg
NY Pilot project 023.jpg [ 56.82 KiB | Viewed 6586 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:11 am 

Going to really get into this project while Hoser has my other rides at his place. Bringing it over to my garage here at my current residence today. It needs a ton of work.Pilot stub removal both sides and new CV'S going to be a top priority.See link:

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/800reasons.htm

Getting the harness all buttoned up for proper fan operation is a top one as well. Removal and checking into a SPEEDCHASER head is going to happen as well. Carb replacement too for that matter as well as a dual air inlet system for proper jetting too is on my list. I will lube all the front ball joints as well and adjust brakes in front too.Fluid replacement for all balancer's,etc are a must! Should be a fun time for all!!! As pictured the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (its a Engine stupid) had 152 psi cold but it really needs to be ridden and cleaned out,the pipe is loaded with goo.Oh also the PAUL TURNER pipe has a shitty connection from silencer to expansion that's needs attention as well. THE 103C clutch as well will get a well deserved removal and cleaning,it was a white spring which I need to look up for stall speed what that is set up for(lost that with the old board).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:13 am 

White spring is 4700 rpm just checked.At that rate this has got to have a no-rev CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) or it for sure has no reverse at ALL. My AZ pilot has a powerbloc and at the rate it is set at with 11 pucks that had to have a no rev CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) installed because it hit the rev limiter each and every time I put it in reverse and I am pretty sure the rpm is lower with 11 pucks then 4700. Might need to check into the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) on the NY Pilot to see if has had the mod done to it. Old owner did not list it in the sale.

Attachments:
NY Pilot project 015 (Small).jpg
NY Pilot project 015 (Small).jpg [ 43.13 KiB | Viewed 6583 times ]
NY Pilot project 013.jpg
NY Pilot project 013.jpg [ 64.43 KiB | Viewed 6583 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:16 am 

Here is the pile of wires I removed from the harness that had been added. Unreal huh?
Here is more splicing mutt style in the harness, why do skillbilly do this stuff?????

Attachments:
Pilots @ Dans 005 (Medium).jpg
Pilots @ Dans 005 (Medium).jpg [ 41.08 KiB | Viewed 6582 times ]
NY Pilot project 033 (Small).jpg
NY Pilot project 033 (Small).jpg [ 38.6 KiB | Viewed 6582 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 am 

Missing rear reverse light with harness and brackets for the rear brake line and associated harness. Not good.Bracket has been removed, dunno what he had it on there for?

Attachments:
NY Pilot project 010 (Medium).jpg
NY Pilot project 010 (Medium).jpg [ 53.83 KiB | Viewed 6582 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:20 am 

Missing mounts for the fenders both sides front and rear as well. Ordered a set from Nick Pena with some other parts needed.

Attachments:
NY Pilot project 026 (Medium).jpg
NY Pilot project 026 (Medium).jpg [ 38.34 KiB | Viewed 6581 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:22 am 

Noticed this little add-on today as well. Nice job huh? WTF where they thinking?????

Attachments:
File comment: Nice weld job huh?
NY Pilot project 025 (Medium).jpg
NY Pilot project 025 (Medium).jpg [ 41.81 KiB | Viewed 6581 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:23 am 

Not good as well, missing brake line fasteners.

Attachments:
NY Pilot project 027.jpg
NY Pilot project 027.jpg [ 55.18 KiB | Viewed 6581 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:26 am 

Notice anything here in this picture?
Look at the starter wire routing-see where it has hit the clutch and now has electrical tape wrapped around it? See the wire tie holding it to the belt guard bracket? Also see the carb is not level as well. This cable will be replaced and routed properly with a belt guard installed as well.

Attachments:
NY Pilot project 014.jpg
NY Pilot project 014.jpg [ 60.75 KiB | Viewed 6580 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:29 am 

Got the project in the garage today. First thing first: wire harness. After really taking a good hard look at it I determined it was just too cut up to use. I took all the front plastics off the Pilot, ripped the old harness out and installed a brand new OEM harness I had here from Randy @ odysseysalvage.com. Battery is on a slow charge hoping it is good still. I drained the fluids on the Pilot as well.

Attachments:
File comment: plastics out and harness as well.
briana 069.jpg
briana 069.jpg [ 39.79 KiB | Viewed 6580 times ]
File comment: NEW OEM harness purchased from odysseysalvage.com
briana 071.jpg
briana 071.jpg [ 45.7 KiB | Viewed 6580 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:32 am 

Sorry the pic quality is poor indeed.Dunno what happened on my Blackberry here.
Also today I removed and replaced the right side upper a arm on the ride. The old one had a tie rod welded onto the end of it and the sperical bearings were toasted as well.Picture is with new arm in.

Attachments:
briana 072.jpg
briana 072.jpg [ 28.81 KiB | Viewed 6579 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:37 am 

Worked for some hrs on this again tonight. First thing I wanted to warm the Engine and get a warm compression reading which was 165 psi. But in order to get this I had to remove and replace the rear neutral switch portion of the harness as this thing was totally hacked up and junk. I took some pictures but will show them tomorrow. Next when I ran the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (its a Engine stupid) the expansion to silencer mating joint is leaking badly -and the expansion chamber is total coated with residue from running rich for so long-it needs to be totally cleaned out as much as I can prior to installation.
Drained the fluids when the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (its a Engine stupid) was hot, trans fluid in the Engine, and the oil in trans was bad.I did notice many small issues, clamps wrong size and in bad locations,bad rubber lines BUT the kicker was whem I removed the 102c clutch.
Some skill billy has cut grooves on the end of the crankshaft,YUP CRANKSHAFT !!! I am guessing they thought the clutch would grab better onto the crank by doing so, I am not sure if this is needed for the 102c but I have never heard of it at all.i CANNOT BELIEVE it, I almost vomitted at a distance that would amaze you all. motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (its a Engine stupid) needs to come out, get cleaned and the CSI will be done. More to come!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:38 am 

Drained fuel cell tonight and carb. Carb had a good amount of garbage in it -the fuel cell is remarkable clean! The carb is off a 1990 as it had all of the fuel vapor recovery lines and canister on the frame for some reason. Also somebody had gotten into the carb and set everything ass backwards. I am going to scrap this as the slide is pitted from running that shitty air intake with a K&N filter that was made for a ford pick up.
Rear inner cv boot is bad so I'll need to attack that tomorrow-somebody has either tryed to remove the axle or has been in there to replace the seals as the usual chunk of aluminum has been broken off the guard on the right side as we see in most of these Pilots so I am hoping the axle comes right out unlike my 2800 pilot which took days!!!!
I need as well to install stock OEM rims and new tires as these crappy rims are the wrong offset on the front for sure. The Engine which is in this now is going to be pulled and I am installing the cracked case motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (its a Engine stupid)(which we lost all the data from!!!!!)SPEEEDCHASER might have the thread on a backed up file mabye??? anyway that motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (its a Engine stupid) is fresh rebuild with a CR500 rod kit in it Boyesen reeds with stock intake and stock head. I will use a stock carb and this 102c I am going to look into as far as installation goes-cutting the crank cannot be correct!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:39 am 

BTW all those shitty steel braided lines are going to the trash and new rubber lines will be installed in place. I'll also go with a fuel filter inline as well. I noticed many things that I do not like on the current Engine in this thing-the CSI on that thing is going to be good indeed. I am hopeful the crank is not too too much out in way of the runout, I am afraid it is junk now that they cut gouges in it. Hoser or Speed might be the best ones to gauge that for me. I'll run it out here myself but SPEED if he can might need to have this sent to him for some work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:44 am 

Had to remove and replace the whole rear section of the harness from trans up. This thing was totally hacked into and just ruined. aND AGAIN PURCHASED FROM odysseysalvage.com

Attachments:
NY Pilot project 033.jpg
NY Pilot project 033.jpg [ 50.65 KiB | Viewed 6577 times ]
Pilots @ Dans 002.jpg
Pilots @ Dans 002.jpg [ 27.45 KiB | Viewed 6577 times ]
Pilots @ Dans 003.jpg
Pilots @ Dans 003.jpg [ 25.64 KiB | Viewed 6577 times ]
Pilots @ Dans 004.jpg
Pilots @ Dans 004.jpg [ 25.34 KiB | Viewed 6577 times ]
File comment: this is just from the tiny rear section of wire harness for the e-brake, nuetral switch and such. I mean WTF?
Pilots @ Dans 005 (Medium).jpg
Pilots @ Dans 005 (Medium).jpg [ 41.08 KiB | Viewed 6577 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:45 am 

Engine and trans are on the bench. I still have not fabbed a stub removal tool so I again will have to bring the trans down to buddies shop for them to be removed.
A quick look into the exhaust flange tells a lot, the piston has major gouges in it and the water pump from appearances look like it has had some sealing issues-the gasket is totally pressed out.
Found 2 rear arms bent both front lowers-engine mount bolts and nuts were finger tight. Right side inner cv boot needs replacement and I'll service all of them while they are out. I'll also do the mod as discovered and tested by Hoser by sealing the ends of the stubs with RTV to make a nice seal so debris, etc cannot get in there. Anti seize will be applied to the splines and input shafts as well. Rear carrier bearings seem good, seals are good shape as well.
Rear pads need replacement as well as the rear brake line, it has numerous nicks in it and is probably not going to last much longer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 am 

Trans on the floor and stubs soaking in PB BLASTER. Going to have a tool fabbed for pulling the stubs out tomorrow so I do not have to beg and borrow from friends anymore. It is a tool much needed in my box!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:58 am 

Fabbed some arms for my slide hammer kit to use for pulling these stubs out of the trans. I copied them from the originals in the kit but used a thicker plate steel and elongated them for proper fitment.

Attachments:
File comment: arm provided and my new arm side by side
NY Pilot stub removal 006.jpg
NY Pilot stub removal 006.jpg [ 35.6 KiB | Viewed 6576 times ]
File comment: I use the hose clamp to hold them tight onto the stub,it is just easier.
NY Pilot stub removal 005.jpg
NY Pilot stub removal 005.jpg [ 40.84 KiB | Viewed 6576 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:02 am 

After many many times pulling these stubs I have finally got it down to a science. I soaked the stubs in PB Blaster for several days prior to trying any type of tool on them. I fitted my new tool onto the stub and attached to my slide hammer kit. Actually took 5 slides and it popped right out. I then used a brass punch and tapped the other axle right out. Worked like a charm.

Attachments:
NY Pilot stub removal 001.jpg
NY Pilot stub removal 001.jpg [ 55.66 KiB | Viewed 6576 times ]
NY Pilot stub removal 002.jpg
NY Pilot stub removal 002.jpg [ 52.98 KiB | Viewed 6576 times ]
File comment: look at the tool with attachment
NY Pilot stub removal 003.jpg
NY Pilot stub removal 003.jpg [ 41.06 KiB | Viewed 6576 times ]
File comment: there is no clearance issues with the hooks on the side of the trans
NY Pilot stub removal 004.jpg
NY Pilot stub removal 004.jpg [ 49.62 KiB | Viewed 6576 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:05 am 

Trans will be installed back into the frame today with new Engine as well. The Engine is a fresh rebuild from Hoser with the CSI thread being here.This is the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) I purchased with cracked cases. Speedchaser did the repairs on them both-and also installed a new CR500 rod kit in the Engine as well, new Boyesen reeds too, fresh bore and piston kit total bottom end rebuild all new.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:54 am 

Purchased a set of rear LT shock brackets from DC and ordered a set of FOX 2.0 airs for this project. The works will be used on my CA Pilot. I paid 211 each for them free shipping off Ebay @ offroadperformance

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:22 pm 

Purchased 4 new rear suspension arms for the pilot. Will be installing the rear LT shock brackets today.

Profile E-mail