Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: NY Pilot project
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:49 pm 

Installed the Engine and trans today. Installed the rear caliper with new pads as well. Installed the rear LT shock brackets too.

Attachments:
NY engine and trans 001.jpg
NY engine and trans 001.jpg [ 59.2 KiB | Viewed 6842 times ]
NY engine and trans 003.jpg
NY engine and trans 003.jpg [ 45.38 KiB | Viewed 6842 times ]
NY engine and trans 005.jpg
NY engine and trans 005.jpg [ 60.37 KiB | Viewed 6842 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:52 pm 

Went today and looked at the stock carb as the thing had goo all over the head and jug. When I took it apart first thing I noticed was the main jet was a 162 which puzzles me. Also when I took the main out it seemed loose, and I found out why. The jet needle and seat was not screwed tightly in the base of the carb,it was loose. I took a picture, the quality stinks sorry for some reason my Blackberry has issues.

Attachments:
NY engine and trans 006.jpg
NY engine and trans 006.jpg [ 37.41 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]
NY engine and trans 007.jpg
NY engine and trans 007.jpg [ 40.19 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:55 pm 

Any ideas on what year make model this coolant tank came off??? I do not think it is an 89, did the 90 models have a version that is different?

Attachments:
NY engine and trans 008.jpg
NY engine and trans 008.jpg [ 32.3 KiB | Viewed 6839 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:04 pm 

I agree! I installed an airbox mod, Pipe and Boysen reeds and had a 140 main. That was WAY, WAY too lean. I jumped up to 152 but settled in on a 155 main. I'm about spot on now at sea level. I think a 162 would be on the fat side of things. I'm running Redline Synthetic @ 40:1 and it screams now. My pilot is stock at 52 and seems to be really crisp with no issues.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:08 pm 

pilotscott wrote:
I agree! I installed an airbox mod, Pipe and Boysen reeds and had a 140 main. That was WAY, WAY too lean. I jumped up to 152 but settled in on a 155 main. I'm about spot on now at sea level. I think a 162 would be on the fat side of things. I'm running Redline Synthetic @ 40:1 and it screams now. My pilot is stock at 52 and seems to be really crisp with no issues.

Right. Mine had a 52 in there, the needle is stock as well. I can now see why the exhaust and head had goo all over it.
Now I also noticed another item. When I took the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) out it had no dowels in the back where the trans plates mount.None. Nothing.WTF?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:16 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
pilotscott wrote:

Right. Mine had a 52 in there, the needle is stock as well. I can now see why the exhaust and head had goo all over it.
Now I also noticed another item. When I took the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?)) out it had no dowels in the back where the trans plates mount.None. Nothing.WTF?

Those are hard to release from the castings. When I pulled my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) out I ended up destroying one of the two. There still available from Honda though. (Correction! Engine)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:23 pm 

They are? I think I had ordered recently(in last 6 months) and got a email from SERVICE telling me they in fact were not available.Needless to say I had some here thank goodness. I betya Pilotpete has them as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Any ideas on what year make model this coolant tank came off??? I do not think it is an 89, did the 90 models have a version that is different?

This might help you determine what year cart you have.

Attachments:
vehicle-identification-numbers-fl400r-pilot-1990-usa_bighu0259vin_6490.gif
vehicle-identification-numbers-fl400r-pilot-1990-usa_bighu0259vin_6490.gif [ 68.81 KiB | Viewed 6816 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 pm 

Thanks!
Got a big parts lot coming, it is at the post office and I hope to get there this week to pick it up. Fox Airs are being shipped and expect them by the 26th the latest.
I have a spare stock carb which I am going to use on this, I do not want to take the intake off and I just want a stock system for once-all my others have 39mm carbs abd I got tons of parts for the stock carbs here anyway. Dual air inlet bracket I have in stock-I am still looking at clutch options as well. I do have stock ones here in very good shape and may just go that route to be honest-but the 102c I have if I can find data on it will work as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 pm 

Parts lot came today:
2 headlights used
starter cable in perfect shape
stock OEM head castle nuts
air box complete with lid
full set of roll cage bolts/nuts
clamps for air box
reverse light complete

I have another order coming in as well in the days to come hopefully.Placed an order today with a private parts seller and SERVICE HONDA. Bill from SERVICE IS 309.00. Parts lot was 325.00 so far from private seller.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:08 pm 

Got another lot of parts coming for this ride:

coolant tank with hoses
All 4 rear lower arms
set of fender brackets with mounting bolts
Belt gaurd
Paul Turner Fat Boy Silencer
4 full Engine gasket sets

I will dabble into this project as soon as most of the items are here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:19 pm 

shoot! if only i would have known you wanted a coolant overflow tank. i have one i wont be using!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:04 pm 

Fox Airs came in today and they are sweet indeed. Will mount them in as soon the suspension arms come in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 pm 

great looking Pilot Mud! I'm looking to hear about your experiences with that suspension set up here on the great northeast! Hopefully we'll be able to get a few pilots together for a buggy ride!

Asaszn

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm 

Asaszn wrote:
great looking Pilot Mud! I'm looking to hear about your experiences with that suspension set up here on the great northeast! Hopefully we'll be able to get a few pilots together for a buggy ride!

Asaszn

Sounds good to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:24 pm 

Did a pile of things tonight on the Pilot
Installed rebuilt stock carb with intakes. Put in used air box with UNI filter.Installed new starter cable from soleniod to starter. Installed Paul Turner expansion chamber with Fat Bot silencer(which I had to totally clean and prep). I had to rebuild the stock OEM lights I had here to make 1 good set. I installed the reverse light,all new coolant lines, new used coolant tank and he FOX AIRS shocks on the rear. I do need to trim 1 of the brackets as it is currently hitting the top of the shock, it is no bigg deal and a grinding wheel will do this no problem. I prepped the axles for installation,ran new choke cable too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:13 pm 

Here is a great reason why you need to check everything and take your time when installing the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) to trans plates. This is plain just skill billy shade tree mechanic workmanship. Inexcusable.

Attachments:
File comment: why?
NY Pilot old motor 009.jpg
NY Pilot old motor 009.jpg [ 43.37 KiB | Viewed 6713 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 pm 

Picture of the cylinder studs. These are not stock and I have never seen them this tall ever. Wonder what this motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is going to look like? This is the old motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and hopefully we can rebuild it.

Attachments:
NY Pilot old motor 007.jpg
NY Pilot old motor 007.jpg [ 42.02 KiB | Viewed 6713 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:17 pm 

OK, WHY?
I mean WHY?
Crank grooved for some reason?

Attachments:
NY Pilot old motor 005.jpg
NY Pilot old motor 005.jpg [ 34.13 KiB | Viewed 6712 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:03 pm 

looks like a caveman worked on it. nothing against the caveman - I'm sure the problem was his tools.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:19 pm 

Got big parts package this evening. A little too late to do much, but I installed the 102c clutch, and some front fender brackets. Also installed the front stock OEM headlights, removing those bling LED ones. I do not like them to be honest.New belt was installed as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:06 pm 

Parts arrived last night and after a brief work meeting got into the Pilot again today. I re-installed the complete rear suspension. I also added a mod to the axles as per Hoser's tech pages:
viewtopic.php?t=454

http://pilotodyssey.com/800reasons.htm

Keep the grime away from my shafts. I also installed the Rear Fox Air 2.0 air shock using DC'S brackets. Had to cut the fenders just a tad to make them work around these, but the trimming is no big deal. I also installed all new used OEM front fender brackets as mine were missing and the front plastics. Carb had been installed with a stock needle-52 slow jet-140 main,stock throttle valve. I also took the old crappy tires off the front and ordered 2 new Tires for the Pilot, I run the 23's and love them, they give me alittle lighter steering and the added 1' of clearance is a bonus too. Got those from Rocky Mtn ATV.
I had removed all of the WORKS shocks off the ride some time ago and sent them for a "tune up" at WORKS. Got them back yesterday installed the fronts back in. Rears are going onto my 2800 PILOT asap!! I dod have them change the oil weight and valving for my weight and such.
I do need to fab an air intake as the rad relocate will not allow me to use the stock mounting area. Fuel and fluids next on list for tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:17 pm 

Ran the Engine tonight for a brief minute or 2. I wanted to check to make sure the new harness I had installed worked, with the accessories as well which it did. I still need 2 tires on the front end to make it a roller,exhaust did not leak after fixing ,this Engine is the cracked case Engine which SPEED and Hoser successfully brought back to life!
Carb will need to be jetted, I also need some plugs and have to work out a air intake mount as posted earlier. Also needed are a new bumper, and rear skid plate.
I'll heat cycle the Engine as soon as I can roll it out of my garage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:23 am 

The Engine is a fresh rebuild from Hoser. I had this Engine fully documented here prior to hacking.Some might remember this is the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) with the cracked cases from shipping. Speedchaser was gracious enough to fix these cases for me and Hoser did a top to bottom rebuild with all fresh bearings/seals/CR 500 rod kit/Boyesen reeds/79.5mm Wiseco piston. I am running a stock OEM carb with stock internals as I did not wish to take the cage off and do the mods for 39mm carb.I installed and heat cycled the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) on Friday and yesterday dialed in the carb and did some plug chops. I DID NOT go over 1/2 throttle so when you view the plug pictures please keep that in mind. Single air inlet system as well with a UNI filter.

Attachments:
NY motor installed 032.jpg
NY motor installed 032.jpg [ 29.29 KiB | Viewed 6633 times ]
NY motor installed 033.jpg
NY motor installed 033.jpg [ 31.58 KiB | Viewed 6633 times ]
NY motor installed 034.jpg
NY motor installed 034.jpg [ 32.36 KiB | Viewed 6633 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:37 am 

Some pictures of the rear suspension with the FOX AIRS and DC rear LT shock brackets. I did some quick measurements as well for documentation.

Attachments:
NY motor installed 002.jpg
NY motor installed 002.jpg [ 57.3 KiB | Viewed 6632 times ]
NY motor installed 003.jpg
NY motor installed 003.jpg [ 53.83 KiB | Viewed 6632 times ]
NY motor installed 004.jpg
NY motor installed 004.jpg [ 50.32 KiB | Viewed 6632 times ]
NY motor installed 005.jpg
NY motor installed 005.jpg [ 53.01 KiB | Viewed 6632 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next