Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: CA Pilot CSI-
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:46 pm 

Engine installed today. Battery is stone dead and I need to replace it. I will heat cycle the Engine as soon as the new battery comes in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:43 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Engine installed today. Battery is stone dead and I need to replace it. I will heat cycle the Engine as soon as the new battery comes in.

Fill the float bowl on the carb with gas then pull start it should start in 1-2 pulls.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:16 pm 

LOL, I tryed dam thing almost pulled my shoulder apart! Might try tomorrow night when I get home. I jetted with a 180 main and a 52 slow jet hoping it will be rich for break in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:59 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
LOL, I tryed dam thing almost pulled my shoulder apart! Might try tomorrow night when I get home. I jetted with a 180 main and a 52 slow jet hoping it will be rich for break in.

Yeah it can be hard to pull you have to pull it slow get it to top dead center then pull really hard and fast any hesitation in pulling from start to finish will leave you in pain. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:55 pm 

Battery(new gel) is installed. Just waiting to get home early enough to heat cycle it for first time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:22 am 

Has been raining here, try to get this out of the garage and heat cycle it today.
Rain finally stopped and took Pilot out of garage for heat cycles.
I went with 32:1 HP2 with 93 octane. Fresh 39mm PWK carb internals are 180 main, 52 slow jet, stock throttle valve, DGJ(OR IS IT DGH)needle stock as well on middle clip.I cycled this Engine 4 times today. Also had to reconnect the tach inductive wire as the direct to coil installation did not work with the EQUIIS tach, I had to replace the direct wire to the mount direct onto the spark plug wire. It worked immediately. Idle was at 900 rpm after taking 1 small amount of the idle spring off. Will try to ride around tomorrow and break in Engine some more.The 180 main might be a bit much, but we will see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:28 pm 

Heat cycled again today, then took the Pilot for a 1/3 throttle run for 3-5 minues. Cooled it down completely and heat cycl;ed it again. Cooled it down and again ran a 1/3 throttle run around the yard,no more then 1/3 throttle for the duration. I am breaking in the fresh sleeve and using the direction supplied by LA Sleeve Inc. Next is a 1/2 throttle run, and AGAIN a heat cycle, then a plug chop. I am probably going overboard here but after the last Engine failure due to not breaking in properly I am not taking any chances.
Picture of the EQUIIS tach installed as well for you fellas. It seems to work well!

Attachments:
CA Pilot 2nd top end 001.jpg
CA Pilot 2nd top end 001.jpg [ 67.68 KiB | Viewed 14579 times ]
CA Pilot 2nd top end 003.jpg
CA Pilot 2nd top end 003.jpg [ 69.31 KiB | Viewed 14579 times ]
File comment: EQUIIS tach, mounted on the left roll cage tube by hood.
CA Pilot 2nd top end 002.jpg
CA Pilot 2nd top end 002.jpg [ 47.75 KiB | Viewed 14579 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:02 pm 

Good to see that tach workin. I still haven't bought one yet but I will.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:42 pm 

Yeah, you know the thing is pretty much all plastic but it is not alot of cash and to be honest if you use the spark plug wire application as I did for install you can do it pretty quickly! I tied into the light harness right at the rear light plug for the upper cage, grounded it on the net screw on the upper roll cage, and then just ran the inductive wire off the plug.

WARNING. IT WILL NOT WORK WITH THE DIRECT TO COIL INSTALLATION, THIS TACH CANNOT RECEIVE THE PULSE. I called and spoke with a tech for an hr.Just a FYI,so you don't sit around cracking you head into wall like I did. Plus the spark wire is really quick and simple!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 pm 

Also, yes that is a Marv's tuff belt. Got a few PM'S on that 1 tonight. I highly recommend them, but it is gonna cost you for 1.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:14 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Also, yes that is a Marv's tuff belt. Got a few PM'S on that 1 tonight. I highly recommend them, but it is gonna cost you for 1.

Whats he charging?

Last time I bough belts from him he was having a 2 belt deal forget the price but they were cheaper than Honda stronger and last longer.

Time to call Marv and setup a group buy on belts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:28 am 

Hoser to be honest I have not bought a belt from Marv in a long time. The last time I did buy it was a group buy and it was around 10 belts for like several hundred dollars. At the time of purchase Marv was not selling the belts as much as he would have liked so he had a min of 10 made special for me. I would love to buy some more belts as they are well worth the money to me. Please count me in if we do so for 3.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 am 

I bought a pair last year, $150.00 for the pair which included shipping

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:50 am 

We just got ours today from Marv. It was two for $145.00 shipped. Marv was very nice. The belt masterial did seen like it was good quality. They were a lot stiffer than stock.

I do have a question for anyone who has used these belts before. I noticed that they are just a little narrower that the stock belt specs. Do you notice any loss of top end from the belt being narrower?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:09 pm 

MAS Racing wrote:
We just got ours today from Marv. It was two for $145.00 shipped. Marv was very nice. The belt masterial did seen like it was good quality. They were a lot stiffer than stock.

I do have a question for anyone who has used these belts before. I noticed that they are just a little narrower that the stock belt specs. Do you notice any loss of top end from the belt being narrower?

Do you have a way you can accurately measure both belt widths at the top or widest point, careful not to compress the rubber when you measure.

Marv has these belts made up in small batches so I am sure my belts are from a different batch but I have never noticed them being on the small side, I know all these belts width will vary slightly but not by much each customer has set tolerance they will accept or reject.

Back in the day I got the exact dimensions that Honda was having their belts made too and gave it to Marv so he knew what to order also told him if anything we want the belts slightly wider than the spec to allow for worn clutch faces. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:28 pm 

hoser wrote:
Do you have a way you can accurately measure both belt widths at the top or widest point, careful not to compress the rubber when you measure.

I measured it 3 times using calipers with it barely touching the rubber and it was just under 30mm. The book said that it should be 30.4mm. It is within the tolerence allowable for use.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:48 pm 

Measured my used Marv belt-it is 30 mm even and I have several hrs on it. I relocated the TACH today to the left side downtube, much easier to see it there and ran the harness up the tube under the rooflid and down the back side of the cage. Much better sight wise.
I jetted the 2800 Pilot tonight along with my CA Pilot Engine. I ended up with a 185 main stock needle on middle groove and a 55 slow jet in both carbs(39mm PWK)
Many thanks to SPEED and HOSER for all the great help on this Engine!! It runs flawlessly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:52 pm 

Purchased a ATVR full skid plate for this Pilot, and a used but very good shape set of plastics as well. I will install them and use the old plastic for the 2800 Pilot as it substained some damge after a good flip over.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:05 pm 

Installation of th ATVR full skidplate will be completed tonight. Pictures forthcoming
The ATVR front desert bumper will fit with the ATVR full skid, I also tryed it with a SPEEDCHASER bumper and it also worked well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:40 pm 

Hey mudd you ever put a clamp on that fuel line by the carb?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:48 pm 

I have yes thanks for keeping me on my toes!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 pm 

Taking Pilot out for a ride on Saturday. Jetting needed or coarse then a light couple of hrs riding in mild terrian. Will post pictures.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 pm 

Went for a ride session yesterday, had the CA Pilot, and the 2800(or these days I call her Miss reliable). Got to the ride location, unloaded, and IT STARTED TO RAIN!! And boy you know it rained for 6 hrs straight. Mother @#%^^ I was so frustrated!! Anyway got a couple of minutes to run the Engine for a heat cycle or 2, and did some 1/2 throttle drives for like 15-20 minutes, up and down on the throttle lightly.Spark plug pulled was grey/silver in color. NO GOOD. I had a 180 main, DGH needle on middle groove, and it ran poor, it was not blubbering but the idle was staying high AFTER A 1/2 throttle run for too long in my book, so I immediately pulled choke and shut it down.Went to a 182 main, needle on 2nd groove(made mistake there, hindsight is 20/20 right)and it idled perfectly, but again after a little bit of a throttle run at 1/2 it stayed high for a 40-45 seconds before dropping down, no good, again pulled choke thinking it is lean, and shut her down.Pulled plug, grey in color once again. I want pancake brown, anything brown fellas!! Then, went to the needle to the 4th groove, ran it, idle was smooth but it pulled poorly, check plug grey in color,so I went to a 185 main, and the needle on the last 5th groove, and the rains came back once again. Will update thread as we progress.
Oh for some reason too, my EQUIIS tach was not reading properly on this Pilot, I'll need to see if for some reason I hooked it to the wrong wire but it seemed to be misreading at times. My clutch engagement speed was at like almost 5 grand(powerbloc) just for record, 4800 to be exact which I like but I am worried it might be shifting out to quickly,ANY THOUGHTS?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:41 am 

Took the Pilot for a ride yesterday. After jetting and needle settings I ended up with a 180 main, needle on 2nd groove, and the plug came out nice and brown. Tach worked well too-settings on powerbloc are pretty much spot on with engagements as well. Runs great!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:16 am 

Installed 2 used rear fenders on this ride last weekend. The fenders that I had on it were cut for the dunes, hence each and every puddle I got soaked.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next