Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:58 pm 

Bill shipped me one of his DIY Pilot CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) mod kits

The kit looks well thought out I will know more when I get a chance to apply it on my
spare stock CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box.

Here is a link to the DYI CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) mod instructions.

http://pilotodyssey.com/DYI-CDI.htm

Attachment:
kit.jpg
kit.jpg [ 48.34 KiB | Viewed 16845 times ]

No rev CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)
Pilot CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)
CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) kit

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:54 am 

Thanks for sharing with us Hoser-it is nice to help out the guys here and not profiting from the mod.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:45 am 

Hi Hoser, did you ever get time to build up one of these? I have not had any feedback on the instructions so far but would appreciate feedback from those that have reviewed them. I want to give these kits out for $20 each including shipping and if anyone needs on built I will do them for $70 including shipping. Also, I will give deeper discounts for anyone that wants multiple units built. When these kits I have in stock right now run out I will probably cease doing them due to lack of interest. I think most folks that need them already have them, or already have enough info from the instructions to get them done on their own. Bill..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:33 am 

BILL, i'M INTERESTED IN SOME OF THESE PLUS SOME OF YOUR LEFTOVER 350 PARTS-please send me PM here of email me-Hoser has my email address-thanks-mud.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:47 pm 

Does th CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) really help and what exactly does it do?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:06 pm 

pilotjunkie180 wrote:
Does th CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) really help and what exactly does it do?

If your hitting the rev limiter or getting close to it yes it does help, it was a noticable difference on my Pilot it allowed me to rev my Engine past 7400 RPM I even ran mine at 8000-8100 for a while how ever after playing with different combinations my last setup before I swapped to the 440 sled Engine was using the torque as much as I could, I was running with the rest of the pack on the wide open dunes and trails and never going over 7400 RPM, I found it to be all I needed for most riding if I was going to be racing then I would turn it back up to 8k again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:31 pm 

It is an old topic, but does anybody on the boards do this? I don't want to mess with it myself but would be interested in having it done.
Bob

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 pm 

I have not done it myself but have the last kit Bill put together with instructions and all you need to do it.

If you want to give it a try = shoot me a PM.

Pilotman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:16 pm 

Pilotman wrote:
I have not done it myself but have the last kit Bill put together with instructions and all you need to do it.

If you want to give it a try = shoot me a PM.

Pilotman

Thanks for the offer, but I was looking for someone to assemble it for me. If I take it apart it might sit for awhile. ADD sets in.
Bob

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:50 pm 

Was just thinking out loud, but as all that is being done is making a connection between 2 points, would there be any advantage to running some wires out in order to install a switch?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm 

I have my kit but have not done it yet. I was thinking the same thing. All the Polaris 4 wheelers have the reverse rev limit and the bypass button. I would think you would want a toggle switch and not push button. I'm not sure it has any real life benefit being on a switch though. ????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:52 pm 

rmesser wrote:
I have my kit but have not done it yet. I was thinking the same thing. All the Polaris 4 wheelers have the reverse rev limit and the bypass button. I would think you would want a toggle switch and not push button. I'm not sure it has any real life benefit being on a switch though. ????

The bypass button is so you have to be in control to hold it in in theory. With a toggle switch your basically eliminating the safety feature. Kind of like removing the neutral safety switch on an odyssey. The stuff is there for a reason. Baz has a good story about that I think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:59 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
rmesser wrote:

The bypass button is so you have to be in control to hold it in in theory. With a toggle switch your basically eliminating the safety feature. Kind of like removing the neutral safety switch on an odyssey. The stuff is there for a reason. Baz has a good story about that I think.

Ya I understand why its there for the reverse rev limit, But Kuma was talking about putting a switch onn the fl400 no rev limit instead of just completing the circuit with solder. On the Fl400 it a no rev limit mod, not a revers rev limit. I just mentioned the reverse rev limit as it has a switch on it. The big question is would there be any advantage to being able to turn the no rev mod off and on?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:08 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Fatcat wrote:
rmesser wrote:

Ya I understand why its there for the reverse rev limit, But Kuma was talking about putting a switch onn the fl400 no rev limit instead of just completing the circuit with solder. On the Fl400 it a no rev limit mod, not a revers rev limit. I just mentioned the reverse rev limit as it has a switch on it. The big question is would there be any advantage to being able to turn the no rev mod off and on?

I got you now. It's always fun to have more options. If you have a tach you could control it with throttle. If you weren't running a tach IMO it would be very handy. Then you have a primitive method of knowing how hard your spinning your Engine. Will a pilot spin hard enough to hit the rev limiter under normal circumstances? My 350 never did but I don't think they have a rev limiter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:02 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Fatcat wrote:
rmesser wrote:

Awesome, a valet mode for the kids and friends, and you know, that one guy who always brings it back damaged

Even put it on remote like the kids quads..I'm kidding here about the remote

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:16 am 

Do I have a story!...For ol time's sake Fats! :-)

Here is my warning when you disable the switch,and potentially nearly disable yourself! :-)
ALWAYS apply the E Brake.If not,you could be screaming the EEEEeeeeee!
This is a true event in the confessions of Baz.Sometimes the luckiest,most times the unluckiest bastard on Earth.
Copy from a while back.......no laughing!!!! Was very UNFUNNY at the time.

Just want to warn others of what CAN happen when you disable the switch,and allow starting in gear.

A few years ago camping with 2 other Mates and families in our favourite Lancelin Dunes secret men's spot Downunder,I was working on my 350 Ody's carb.
After I was done,I assembled it back together and screwed on the carb top etc. Now standing on the outside of Ody,on the RHS,I pushed the starter button and,WTF?
The ody fired up instantly to well over clutch engagement RPMs,and took off to my horror.
Instinctively I just grabbed for the rear bar before it got away,set the death grip on both hands on the rear bar and just hung on for dear life.
Could'nt keep up and dropped to knees,ploughing in thru the sand...kinda like knee skiing!
Luckily the Ody went into full turn/lock mode,and me and Ody just started ploughing at decent speed large circles right near our camp,tents cars etc.
I was panicing that that if I was to let go,then the Ody would accelerate to max revs and possibly take out the camp? Cars? but worse still Mates and kids.
Also worried if there were any rocks below the sand that would take out my knees,and people would call me Stumpy.
After at least 2/3 laps I managed to start yelling "Help,help,as no one was outside or in view yet.It's really hard for a grown man to yell for help,it's not something we practice,and despite trying as hard as ya can to do it in a manly deep voice...still comes out a bit like a woman's?The only one that came out was the missusImage not my first prefered choice.She waited till i came round again and tried to sync in with the escaping orbiting Ody to turn off the switch or key, but instead only managed to grab the steering yoke and yank it back to straight due to the Ody fighting back by trying to shake her off by running over her foot with large Ohtsu tyre.
Now I'm still hangin' on BUT NOW seeing the RHS of my beloved Nissan dual Cab 4x4 appearing larger and larger thru the Ody's roll bars to the front.
Now if I thought things were bad before,now they created the nightmare of my 2 loved toys smashing into each other.
The missus reckons she heard me shout out loud "NOT MY FAR KIN CAR!" just before the inevitable Ka POW!
Now the Ody is still angry it could'nt get away,Engine still alive and reving,rear wheels still driving and roosting sand back over me,until it dug itself so deep down and stalled the Engine!
Now it was oh so quiet,and my brain was still trying to make out DID this all just happen,or maybe bad dream?
Charlie Chaplin,Keystone Cops woulda laughed their arses off.Unfortunately nothing was caught on camera,woulda been great on Funniest home vids.

By the way,don't tell Nukem about this,he will be so jealous and prob try it himself!

You see,when I tried to line up the carbs air piston/slide's groove with the plastic thingy,it obviously did'nt,and was set in posi about 3/4 throttle? Damn,missed it by THAT much!Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:41 am 

That is a funny story, although I can see how it wouldn't be so funny when it happened.
You know though, we weren't talking about removing the neutral start safety, it is the rev limiter in the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:25 am 

Kuma wrote:
That is a funny story, although I can see how it wouldn't be so funny when it happened.
You know though, we weren't talking about removing the neutral start safety, it is the rev limiter in the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)

I just brought that up about modifying the things honda put on these things. That rev limiter will help with the already prone to fail bottom end bearings. Honda knew more about these than us hacks will ever know. They designed it. For racing purposes I understand every little bit counts but for recreational riding I'd leave the Honda engineered safety features alone. Might save you a bottom end.

Baz we must laugh at the way tell the story at least!!! I could see me in a situation like this. Least the women tried to help. Mine would just start telling me how stupid I was as she watched me go. Lol I could hear it now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:30 am 

hoser wrote:
pilotjunkie180 wrote:

If your hitting the rev limiter or getting close to it yes it does help, it was a noticable difference on my Pilot it allowed me to rev my Engine past 7400 RPM I even ran mine at 8000-8100 for a while how ever after playing with different combinations my last setup before I swapped to the 440 sled Engine was using the torque as much as I could, I was running with the rest of the pack on the wide open dunes and trails and never going over 7400 RPM, I found it to be all I needed for most riding if I was going to be racing then I would turn it back up to 8k again.

Speaking from experience.^^^

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:59 pm 

I have two of these kits from Bill that i never used if anybody is interested.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:53 pm 

Does the fl350 have a rev limiter??
It didn't seem like it to me. I didn't feel any ignition miss ever when I was driving and my brother never noticed anything either. If there was some kind of limiter at top rpm we would have noticed I am sure as we run these like we stole them. One thing I did notice was when going down hill you can notice a real speed difference. I don't attribute this to any limiter but just the fact that the Engine might not have enough power when on the flats. Top speed of an oddy on level paved surface is 64mph and that is confirmed by a gps and the truck speedo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:23 pm 

I'd love to have this done Bill. I know this is an Old post but, if you're still doing this I'd like to send you my CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:57 pm 

RandyTRowe wrote:
I'd love to have this done Bill. I know this is an Old post but, if you're still doing this I'd like to send you my CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), Thanks

Bill joined in 2004 but he has not been on this site since 2012.
He seemed like a very talented guy.
Don't think he is around anymore. We all get old ------- even me.

Edit: Zeroclient did his own. Go to this thread - page 3 - half way down
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17899&hilit=no+rev+pilot+mod&start=50

Profile E-mail