Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:02 pm 

Hi all-I am trying to do maintaince on my axles as per the "800 reasons"on Hosers home page and I have 1 question-the circlips I had do not seem to fit onto the axles stubs correctly-they do not slid fully into the grooves on the ends of the axles-are they suppose to fit snugly in the provided groove?The part number is the correct one but they do not seem to fit correctly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:14 pm 

Hey bogger glad to see your back, feel better?

They make 2 sizes of clips here is the part number for the one 44319-HEO-000
I don't know the other Trevor at hillside can probably help, I think it was found on
the micro fiche, I helped someone else out with this same problem, Pilotman? Pilotcat?
Stoneman? I think then I gave them both numbers, I don't even know where to
search for that thread, if I find it I need to include it in my 800 reasons.

The number I listed here I think is the smaller of the two...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:53 pm 

Hi Hoser-thanks for the well wishes,he isnt back just yet, hopefully in the next week or two-I am his future brother in law and I am trying to get his Pilot ready for him so he has something to look forward to when he returns, I'll check the number on the remaining clips I have, I believe they came with the Pilot when he bought it.I thankfully didnt have any issues when removing the axles, they both came right out after a good soaking with PB Blaster and a good tug-I will be replacing both seals on the reduction case next-any idea on the socket size of the nut behind the disc on the left side looks like 1 7/8 or so?so I can get to the seal itself by chance?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:26 pm 

Tell him we said hi!

You read this one, the part about the silicone I think is worth trying it might
help keep the grease in and moisture out?
http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.ph ... ght=puller

I don't remember the socket size off hand I am pretty sure it is standard not
metric or a standard is close enough.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:10 pm 

I didn't, but will so right now.I'll see him tomorrow and tell him you said Hi.Thanks again, I'll post the clip situation asap, possible tomorrow night if I can find the time.BTW do the new reduction case seals come with the metal protection on the outside by chance like the ones I removed?I didnt get the new ones from Hillside Honda just yet and was curious.Also-my clips have that part number on them but do not sit in the groove totally on the axle,they appear to be to thick to sit completely in it-is that ok?The manual is alittle weak in this area for some reason and I am not totally familiar with these machine(but I am thinking of buying one after this!!).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:21 pm 

Yeah at least one of them has some sort of metal shield or cover over it I am not sure
if you can find them any place but Honda.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:00 pm 

Missing the washer/spacer possibly?

Good to hear 'bogger's doing better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:52 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
any idea on the socket size of the nut behind the disc on the left side looks like 1 7/8 or so?

I believe I used a 46mm socket on that nut. It's a big sucker! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:10 pm 

The circlip is actually a ‘set ring’. It should be a wire bent in to a circle about 26mm diameter. Hoser’s part no is correct for the ’89 Pilots till serial no. KK003633. This ring is made from 2mm wire.

For the later Pilots after serial no KK003634 (’90 Pilots but this serial no dose not correspond to the year model change). this ring is made from 1.6 mm wire. I would guess you need the 1.6 mm one, part no is 44319-611 -010.

The set ring should be lose in the groove, it doesn’t want to be tight on the bottom or the sides. A little anti seize will help is live longer but don’t pack the groove full, the ring needs to collapse to allow the CV joint to set correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:28 pm 

Thanks Lee I will update my 800 reasons page with both numbers...

http://pilotodyssey.com/800reasons.htm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:37 pm 

"any idea on the socket size of the nut behind the disc on the left side looks like 1 7/8 or so?"

"I believe I used a 46mm socket on that nut. It's a big sucker!"
===========================

An 1 & 13/16" standard socket will also fit it as I recall. They are usually easier to find than the large metric sockets.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:01 pm 

Bill.. wrote:
"any idea on the socket size of the nut behind the disc on the left side looks like 1 7/8 or so?"

An 1 & 13/16" standard socket will also fit it as I recall. They are usually easier to find than the large metric sockets.

Should have taken a pic of the plate you made that we used to remove that spline, or
did we take a pic and post I forget now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:38 pm 

[quote="hoser"][quote="Bill.."]"any idea on the socket size of the nut behind the disc on the left side looks like 1 7/8 or so?"

An 1 & 13/16" standard socket will also fit it as I recall. They are usually easier to find than the large metric sockets.[/quote]

Should have taken a pic of the plate you made that we used to remove that spline, or
did we take a pic and post I forget now.[/quote]
I still have it. I will try and get a picture of it later. A worn out brake rotor would have really been the trick for making one of those.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:18 pm 

Bill.. wrote:
They are usually easier to find than the large metric sockets.

I can't agree with you more! It was an absolute PITA to find!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:55 pm 

Thanks very much for all the help, Lee I cannot thank you enough!!!-the circlips I have are very tight in the grooves now so they must be the smaller of the 2 as Hoser stated-I will call "trevor?" at Hillside and order the new ones via that part number you supplied me with.PilotSniper and Bill, thanks as well for the socket size, he doesnt have anything over 1 5/16 here.Whoever owned the Pilot before Mud had taken the axles out and greased them before-they slid out witHout a fight-(phew)Gregg will be coming home in the coming weeks, he is currently in a rehab and doing just fine-he gets frustrated when it comes to little things-specifically his memory-other than that they expect full recovery-the breathing issues he has with his lung are always going to be with him, it is and always will be there, but it was for a good cause so it really doesnt bother him that much.(so he says)Hoser, I have never met you but from what Gregg tells me I would love to, thanks for the help and well wishes!!!I didnt get to work on the Pilot today Sooooo I'll update you guys hopefully in the coming days as to the circlip situation.AGAIN THANKS.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:52 pm 

Hoser, mabye we can put something on your tech page in referrance to the left seal removal-installation on the reduction case-you want me to try to take some pictures for you?I noticed you do not have anything for the left side seal, just the right and I would like to possible give something back to you and the guys(if it is helpful to you)for all your help.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:55 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Hoser, mabye we can put something on your tech page in referrance to the left seal removal-installation on the reduction case-you want me to try to take some pictures for you?I noticed you do not have anything for the left side seal, just the right and I would like to possible give something back to you and the guys(if it is helpful to you)for all your help.

YES please do take the pics, any and all help we can add will help someone else in the future...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:14 pm 

Bill the socket was indeed a 1&13/16-I used an old disc to hold the shaft and impacted it off with no troubles, I post pics later for you Hoser.I called Trevor for the new clips, he has to locate them but will so in the coming days.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:18 pm 

Bill.. wrote:
hoser wrote:
Bill.. wrote:

did we take a pic and post I forget now.

I still have it. I will try and get a picture of it later. A worn out brake rotor would have really been the trick for making one of those.

Here is the pic of the crude brake hub puller we made. It looks like hammered dog s___, but it got the job done. An old brake rotor or 2 would have really been the trick for making one of these.

Attachments:
Hubplr2.JPG
Hubplr2.JPG [ 32.43 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:37 pm 

Thanks -I was looking for that!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:27 pm 

No Problem. If anyone needs to borrow it, just drop me an email buggypilot@bellsouth.net (Email address edited to current 11/21/06)

Maybe I should ship it up to Hoser and he can put it in his tool kit and loan it out when needed or whatever.

By the way tell, please Gregg I said hi and get well soon,

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:57 pm 

Still awaiting the new clips,tryed to get them from local Honda guy but he says the arent available.Will call "HILLSIDE HONDA" AND TRY THERE.I will for sure tell him you said Bill, thanks for the offer on the tool, I may need it!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:35 pm 

Got the clips today from local Honda dealer, had them in 2 days (got 5 of them so If anybody needs spare just ask Gregg)installed both new seals in reduction case and the new circlips they fit perfectly inside the grooves(thanks Lee).Filled and checked level and that's it, done deal.BTW Lee is this part number also crossover to a Honda car by chance?The reason I ask is 2 of the new 1.6 circlips came in Honda car packages(blue with Honda car emblem on it) is this possible?Mabye old honda civic axles or something like that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:45 am 

Bill, when you used that puller, did you space it out from the hub?Did it put up a real fight?I am haing a hard time getting mine off at the present.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:54 am 

I have seen them be a real bear to get off. To the point of where you think you are going to break something.

Profile E-mail