Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:11 pm 

Here are some pictures of MGR's quiet silencer, I left the picture full size for clairity
sorry to all you dial up guys who had to suffer the extra 30 seconds for the picture
to load.

FMF Q2 Quiet Silencer

Attachments:
MGR.jpg
MGR.jpg [ 50.55 KiB | Viewed 1923 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:47 am 

Ok now we made it past the shame less plug part a few more pictures again be warned they
are FULL size so it might take a while to load, I feel the larger pictures are worth the wait for
those that will perform this modification in the future the extra details will help them more than
a thumb nail picture.

Attachments:
MVC-321F.JPG
MVC-321F.JPG [ 113 KiB | Viewed 1881 times ]
MVC-320F.JPG
MVC-320F.JPG [ 102.88 KiB | Viewed 1881 times ]
MVC-319F.JPG
MVC-319F.JPG [ 114.27 KiB | Viewed 1881 times ]
MVC-318F.JPG
MVC-318F.JPG [ 107.26 KiB | Viewed 1881 times ]
MVC-317F.JPG
MVC-317F.JPG [ 110.29 KiB | Viewed 1880 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:44 pm 

This must be what MGR refers to as "Revision B". The previous method used a flexible joint/slip joint that did not hold up for long. The muffler never fell off but sure swayed back and forth when she hit the rough stuff. This solid mount should work a lot better. Did he change the stinger length or is it just the way the pics look to me? I know MGR has a different pipe than I do....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:58 pm 

Yep, good eye, he played with the length until he found the sweet spot, I forgot to measure
it but that would only be a starting point, porting, intake track mods, carb will all play a
part in finding your sweet spot, she has the torque pipe and I have the rev so I will probably
start out using a length slightly longer than hers and trim it back a little at a time, I will use
the rubber hose to temp couple the 2 together for testing then weld the final length.

More later, waiting on details from MGR before I ramble on...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:11 pm 

Yup it sure did sway a lot. lol But it was for the better. Way before the glamis trip i was working on a new air intake system for the pilot. It was not ready so gott's pilot had the old intake on it.I'm working with volumetric system for it. I had to add 2 1/2 inch to the stinger. So far so good, and time will tell if all of this shit will work. lol I'm having a (fun) time learning about air, velocity and mass. or mass/velocity over volume, or mass volume/ flow with little or no velocity. LOL This will keep the chat room going for a week, and for me it is much better then looking at the f#*ken snow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:04 pm 

That hard mount looks easy enough. Guess I will have to Experiment with stinger length also.
Give me somemore info on your "new" intake.
thanks cb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:04 am 

So, what was your overall length of your stinger, and how did you go about trying to find your sweet spot? What are you looking for exactly? If it is to long what does that do, and if it is to short what does that do??? I'm thinking about using this silencer with my Paul Turner Pipe, Delta V-force reeds, and stock Engine. Any suggestions on where to start for a lengthfor the silencer's stinger for my application?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:27 am 

The sweet spot is fine tuning for that last bit of power that your pipe/motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) combo can make. If I am reading what you are asking right, all you need to do is this. First you must have a way to check RPM. Before you cut your old silencer off you must have a guideline to go by. Have your air filter clean (not a fresh oil), make sure your carb is adjusted right, spark plug is clean, motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) at normal operating temps. Record the RPM that it is idling at (if your idle is jumping you have other issues to take care of first), with the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) running cut the silencer off and note RPM reading. If it drops, you have issues to look at. If it remains the same or goes up just a little, that is good. If it jumps too much you must figure out why. Is it because your old silencer has way to much back pressure,your pipe is full of burnt oil crap, or as bigtom found in his pipe bad welds not cleaned up.or your carb is way too rich. That is why it is important to make sure that your motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is running correctly before you try to any of this. Does your PT pipe have the fat boy silencer, if it does, does it have the blunt or turn down end cap on it? Does your motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) have any port work done to it? Is your motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) in good shape? Another way is to look for a temp change/drop from the stinger to silencer. If you have any heat blueing on your old silencer you need more stinger length (this might be a better way for you determine if you need more stinger). There are to many variabels to look for or take in a count. Every motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is different

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:58 am 

Well, my Engine is stock, other than the PT Pipe w/FatBoy 2 silencer w/no curved end, delta v-force reed valves, and air-box modification w/ two K&N pre-filters. I just did the bottom and top end on it , and it runs great. The only problem is that from 20" away and 2500 rpm it is reading a db level of 108-109. So, what I planned to do was start with the FMF Q2 fitted so that the end stoped where the old FatBoy 2 does. It mounts completely horizontally and stops just outside the rightside of the frame under the right shock resevoir, very close to being the same as your Q2 silencer in your pictures. Is this a good plan, or do you have a better suggestion?
Than :-) :-)ks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:00 pm 

109 dbl??? you and Stoneman could have a contest on who has the loudest, lol. With a stock motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) you will have many inches of stinger length to play with. Big Tom proved this with where he put his. It is running good for him. I have my stinger at a slight downward angle because I wanted the exhause noise to hit the ground and dissipate more.