Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:23 pm 

I bought a Pilot chassis about a year ago in hopes of building a really sick high horsepower Pilot but i've just lost all interest in doing it. Mostly since i already have a running homebuilt buggy the runs great so there's really no need to continue with this project. I really haven't messed with it much, i started redoing the a-arms but that's about as far as i got. I sanded down and repainted all of the a-arms and put new genuine Honda boots on the ball joints. Also put new NAPA boots on the axles. The chassis's in pretty good shape, little rust here and there but an easy fix. Couple of the bads. It has plastics but there in bad shape. It didn't bother me when i bought it because i was going to make my own custom body for it. The trans and axles come with the chassis but has a few issues. One of the mounts to the chassis is broken off so one will have to be made, i've looked at it, real easy fix. I think i already cut some tubing for it, i'll include that. i also bought soem new poly bushings for it they'll come along too. The trans shifts and works just fine but one of the axles is stuck in the trans and i couldn't get it out. I even sent it over to Pilothawk and he had no luck. No reason it couldn't run as is i'm just anal and wanted to clean and lube everything up when i rebuit it. So it's up to you if you want to get the axle out. If anyones interested i'll post pics in the next few days. Oh yeah i also bought a new upper ball joint for the rear hub and a few other misc pieces, all from Service Honda.

I'm also selling the Engine i was going to put in there. It's a 583 Rotax out of a 91 Mach Z. Engine is liquid cooled with a pull start but is easily adapted to electric start. From the research i did it looks as if the Engine puts out just over 90 hp. Engine comes complete with everything it needs to run. I also have all of the gauges for it so you can make your own custom cluster. I saw the Engine run in person so i know it's good. I'm also throwing in a jetski vertical carbs for it, so it's easier to wedge this Engine in that small space. I spent $100 alone on those. I want $650 for the Engine, that's pretty firm, i paid more for it. I have 800+ in the Engine with the extra carb i bought. Chassis is $1200 obo. I live in Warren MI just outside Detroit. I'm willing to deliver for fuel costs within about an hour or so range. Let me know if your interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:19 am 

do you have any pics of the chassis? MI, the good ones are always so far away. wouldn't mind to see a pic of your custom buggy as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:39 am 

That Engine is a great Engine for a buggy, lots of torque, its the same Engine that Alain Fricker used in his Drakarts right up until he could not get them any more then he started using the newer 600cc case reed engines, the 600 HP was about the same but the 583 made more torque, depending on how you set them up they make 90-120 HP

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:40 am 

Hello
do have any pic's

thanks SpeedChaser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:25 pm 

Here are some pics
This is the mount broken on the tranny
The plastics
583 Rotax, FANTASTIC powerplant
Skidoo carbs on the Engine
Original carbs and plate
Cooling system, pipe and some wiring, there's more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:09 pm 

That is exactly what I need...Wish I lived closer or could pick it up, I would snag that Pilot frame in a heartbeat.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:21 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:
That is exactly what I need...Wish I lived closer or could pick it up, I would snag that Pilot frame in a heartbeat.

Gary

My thoughts exactly. funny how much it looks like a 350 frame, I've never seen one stripped down before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:39 pm 

Where do ya live Nuke em, who knows how desperate i'll get :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:54 pm 

Not sure how you would fix that trans other than replacing the case, what happen to it ?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:06 pm 

Do you mean the mount, there's actually a couple places to use as mount points for a plate. i was going to use some flat plate and a piece of tubing to make my own mount. The other small tab i have, just needs to be welded back on. Hey i never said she was perfect. Definately a project but well worth the effort. I don't want to sell it but work has slowed down so the toys have got to go first

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:45 pm 

Jay1823 wrote:
Where do ya live Nuke em, who knows how desperate i'll get :)

I live in Cheyenne Wyoming, currently working in Minot North Dakota and work will be moving to Great Falls Montana in a couple of weeks. Know any truckers? lol I was going to buy a DPMS AR when I get there...but I would rather have a Pilot project. I already have a full set of plastic and an Arctic Cat ZRT600 chipped to 120HP waiting on a 350 project that needs better suspension. 400s have much better suspension...and I know a couple of alum welders as well.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:37 am 

Wow that's really really far away. Haha i don't think i'll get that desperate. Hope you find a project man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:33 am 

So hat happend to the rest of the pilot? When you bought it did the previous owner start parting it out or try fixen it and took it apart and the box of parts he took off get thrown away? Just curious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:08 am 

Jay1823 wrote:
Wow that's really really far away. Haha i don't think i'll get that desperate. Hope you find a project man.

Kinda thought so...LOL Thanks, sooner or later I will find one out here.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:24 pm 

shoubadaba wrote:
So hat happend to the rest of the pilot? When you bought it did the previous owner start parting it out or try fixen it and took it apart and the box of parts he took off get thrown away? Just curious

Previous owner bought it as you see it, was supposed to be a project. Then i bought it as a project, know someone else will have a project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:18 pm 

My pending sale fell through so it's back on the market. Come and get it.

Post subject: Pilot Chassis
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:52 am 

Hello, would you sell the steering wheel - rear knuckles and axles or axle since you can't get 1 out seperate. If so how much for each. Thank you, Steve.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:25 am 

Hi, is this Bugpacs old Pilot?????
If so please could you give alittle more information on th cv's please and trans issues?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:20 am 

I'm not ready to part it out just yet SC, i'd like to sell it all as one.

Yes this is Bug's old Pilot
As for the trans, one of the CV's is stuck. I spent alot of time trying to get it out but with no success. I sent it to Pilothawk since he offered to help even he had no luck. So when it came back in the mail i put it back in the chassis, took pics and it up for sale. It can be run as it is, i just like to take things apart and clean them up, im anal like that. One of the outer CV's sounds kind of loose, but everyone here says it's fine, run it as it is. It may need to be serviced in the future. The trans has one broken mount shown in the pic, really easy to make a mount for it. It's really not that bad, i still may keep it since i'm losing my ass selling it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:56 pm 

Thanks for the information-- :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:46 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Thanks for the information-- :-)

So are you 12 years old? Pilothawk msg'd me that your reveling in his so called "failure". Well he didn't fail at all. He spent a ton of time working on it, for FREE i might add. I told him to send it back to me because he was spending so much time on it and i felt bad about it. He was also increasing worried about breaking the case since he was putting more and more pressure on it. Chris is nothing but a great guy and i greatly appreciated all the effort he put into it. Seriously, over 20 hours of work FOR FREE. My god forums are like kindergarten playgrounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:02 pm 

Mudd can get a little carried away at times but his points are truely honest and well intentioned. Phawk is a mutt.

It drives US oldtimers crazy when clueless internet mechanics, no matter how nice they are, use the internet to make themselves seem like something they are not, experienced. I am sure if Phawk actually told you his true pilot mechanical experience, which is very little with lots of help, or if he showed you a picture of his workshop or toolbox you would not of wasted your time.

ANY MECHANIC worth his weight would of never told you to ship it in the first place unless you want to replace the output shaft. We all know, and knew then, that it was bad and would not of worked no matter how little you wanted to spend on parts. In addition said mechanic would of just drilled and removed the shaft while he had it, that way, at least you get back a trans that was further along then when you sent it, if for no other reason to justify the shipping.

It also irks us to watch new guys constantly get set up by these same mutts time and time again. What did pilothawk get out of this beside ego stroking? well he did finally sell that shaft hes been trying to get rid of for a long while. Oh and he gets to run a broken down Pilot Board trying to copy hoser in the Land of Misfit Pilot Whores.

Around here, be a nice guy, play fair and you will never get anything but help from everyone. Nobady would let a POS like that pilot (or Bugpac) get sold without everyone knowing the true condition. They ripped you off, everyone of those guys knew what that POS was and still took your money, if it don't bother you, I got some land in FL.

I cant count the number of times one of our pilot mutts has red labled a gasket or a arm or some other part I needed fast. No money, no worries, no stress, just get it done then we'll worry about it, its all good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:14 pm 

Well i still think he's a nice guy, he was the only person who came through when everyone else flaked out. As far as the Pilot goes, whats done is done. I'll rebuild it when the cash flows available, right now my business is slow so it's on the back burner. I want to get my current buggy up and running again before i dive into the Pilot. I'll probably take the Pilot apart again, inspect everything i'm gonna sell and put up all the good parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:49 pm 

Oh yeah, by the way, the Pilot is no longer for sale, i'm keeping the chassis but i will be selling the suspension components such as a - arms, spindles, rear hubs, rear bars yadda yadda. I'll start putting things up in about a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:15 pm 

Hello again, I am interested in the left rear Knuckle Assy and possibly the right. Thank you, Steve.

Profile E-mail